www.Terrorizer.com - View topic - Favourite News Story
TERRORIZER FRONT PAGE
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:44 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2772 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 139  Next
 Favourite News Story 
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Post Re: Favourite News Story
Dreadful Doctor Dee wrote:
I called it Irish not Gaelic, I would write "Gwelga" if I knew how to spell it you whinging bastards.

It is officially Republic of Ireland/Eire, isn't it?
I was just speaking generally Myr. You hear Gaelic used a lot referring to Irish a lot and that's not what it's called. I noticed your use of the term Gwelga. ;) Gaeilge is the Irish word for the language, but Irish is the English word for it.

Officially it's Ireland/Eire.

Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:08 pm
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

robitusson wrote:
I called it Irish not Gaelic, I would write "Gwelga" if I knew how to spell it you whinging bastards.

I was just speaking generally Myr. You hear Gaelic used a lot referring to Irish a lot and that's not what it's called. I noticed your use of the term Gwelga. ;) Gaeilge is the Irish word for the language, but Irish is the English word for it.

Why is the Wikipedia article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_o ... menclature ROI not Ireland? I've seen ROI written in many instances, presumably not all of the them British.

Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:16 pm
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Edward Penishands wrote:
My mum calls it Gaelic and she speaks it. :?

Is she a knacker?

Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:20 pm
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

robitusson wrote:

Why is the Wikipedia article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_o ... menclature ROI not Ireland? I've seen ROI written in many instances, presumably not all of the them British.

It even says in that wiki article it's referred to as the Republic of Ireland. People do use ROI and also "Southern Ireland" (that one does annoy me, it is pretty ignorant). The constitution says the name is Ireland/Eire so wikipedia is just wrong or just using republic for some other reason. It's an overpriced, rain-sodden kip filled with narrow-minded, begrudgers for the most part anyway so feck it.

Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:27 pm
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

I didn't bother to read the article, even I bristle at "Southern Ireland". An Irish friend recieved a phonecall at work from a British colleague who called who said "Hello, I'm csalling from the mainland".

Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:31 pm
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

:lol: That's often used as a slur. It is pretty cutting though, gotta admit that. Even within Ireland there's huge parochialism and people from Dublin are "West Brits" and Irish speakers in the West turn their nose up at the non-Irish speaking rest of the country. We hate ourselves even!

Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:34 pm
Edward Penishands wrote:

Is she a knacker?

No.

Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:46 pm
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

robitusson wrote:
:lol: That's often used as a slur. It is pretty cutting though, gotta admit that. Even within Ireland there's huge parochialism and people from Dublin are "West Brits" and Irish speakers in the West turn their nose up at the non-Irish speaking rest of the country. We hate ourselves even!

My friends who are Dubs call posh Dubs or Protestants "West Brits".

Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:52 pm
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Edward Penishands wrote:
Edward Penishands wrote:

Is she a knacker?

No.

Joke. No offence I hope?

Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:53 pm

Joke. No offence I hope?

:lol: :lol: :lol: No.

Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:06 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Morf wrote:
Even Gaeltachts (strong Irish speaking areas) will be vastly bilingual. I don't doubt like Sol says that there are some islands where the elderly are mostly and perhaps entirely Irish speakers.

I learned Irish for 14 years. I'm still very far from (or was) being fluent. If you don't have teachers that are from Gaeltachts then you are at a big disadvantage learning Irish. Most people tend to learn written Irish and speak it that way. The Gaeltachts have a much different oral tradition. Having the ability to speak fluently spoken Irish is called having the "blás". Generally people who aren't brought up in Gaeltachts don't have it.

I don't care what you call the Scottish tongue. In Ireland we call our language Irish. Nobody ever calls it gaelic. For all purposes it is Irish.

Do you care about learning Irish? I mean, as you're saying here, it's not really of vast use to be able to speak it, so do you think it's important to learn it?
Sorry, I know it seems like I'm doing a survey, I'm just interested and I don't think I've ever met a native Irish or Gaelic speaker (though I did meet some Welsh guys recently; it's bizarre enough to have heard them switch from English to Welsh mid-sentence with no change of tone of voice, but to do it while surrounded by French speakers made it seem even more odd).

Anyway, most WHAT THE FUCK news story of the day for me was http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainmen ... 275290.stm

Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:31 pm
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Wolf Bender wrote:
That's interesting stuff Myr. I'd like to think that in the majority of cases though, the children speak English, even if their parents don't. My own very limited experience was working at a school with a large number of Somali and Pakistani kids; one teacher told me that parents evening was always hilarious as a lot of kids would translate for their parents, and obviously not be telling them what the teacher had actually said.

I've had my first experience of that at this school. There's quite a big Nepales community near where I teach, and I've had parents' evening with a couple of families with one or more members who's English is pretty much non-existent. It wasn't a problem, but telling the kid what I thought of them so they could translate it for the parents did seem to defeat the exercise a bit.

I hate this new English Test idea, mostly because I just toled my fiancee that she'd fail it, and she punched me in the arm.

Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:53 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Richie H-R wrote:
Wolf Bender wrote:
That's interesting stuff Myr. I'd like to think that in the majority of cases though, the children speak English, even if their parents don't. My own very limited experience was working at a school with a large number of Somali and Pakistani kids; one teacher told me that parents evening was always hilarious as a lot of kids would translate for their parents, and obviously not be telling them what the teacher had actually said.

I've had my first experience of that at this school. There's quite a big Nepales community near where I teach, and I've had parents' evening with a couple of families with one or more members who's English is pretty much non-existent. It wasn't a problem, but telling the kid what I thought of them so they could translate it for the parents did seem to defeat the exercise a bit.

I hate this new English Test idea, mostly because I just toled my fiancee that she'd fail it, and she punched me in the arm.

So would you.

Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:06 pm
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Right, give me your arm.

Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:06 pm
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Is there any indication of what level people will have to be to "pass"? If it's C at GCSE then that is going to exclude vast numbers of people and is pure fascsim, as Shallowthing said in another thread, most British people wouldn't get that.

When Australia had "The White Australia Policy" where non-Europeans weren't allowed in, rather than outrightly barring people they would administer "tests" which could be in any European language, in order to ensure the darkies didn't pass they's give them tests in Scots Gaelic and the like.

Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:14 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Wolf Bender wrote:
Morf wrote:
Even Gaeltachts (strong Irish speaking areas) will be vastly bilingual. I don't doubt like Sol says that there are some islands where the elderly are mostly and perhaps entirely Irish speakers.

I learned Irish for 14 years. I'm still very far from (or was) being fluent. If you don't have teachers that are from Gaeltachts then you are at a big disadvantage learning Irish. Most people tend to learn written Irish and speak it that way. The Gaeltachts have a much different oral tradition. Having the ability to speak fluently spoken Irish is called having the "blás". Generally people who aren't brought up in Gaeltachts don't have it.

I don't care what you call the Scottish tongue. In Ireland we call our language Irish. Nobody ever calls it gaelic. For all purposes it is Irish.

Do you care about learning Irish? I mean, as you're saying here, it's not really of vast use to be able to speak it, so do you think it's important to learn it?
Sorry, I know it seems like I'm doing a survey, I'm just interested and I don't think I've ever met a native Irish or Gaelic speaker (though I did meet some Welsh guys recently; it's bizarre enough to have heard them switch from English to Welsh mid-sentence with no change of tone of voice, but to do it while surrounded by French speakers made it seem even more odd).

Anyway, most WHAT THE FUCK news story of the day for me was http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainmen ... 275290.stm

I think its important now when its too late. I can understand some of it to hear, and I can sometimes read it, but I can't speak it very well, and I hated the way they taught it in school, it gave you no appreciation for it, in the same way you gain no appreciation of Shakespeare by simply being told "you learn it because we tell you, and if you don't get it, you are shit". My grandparents, my mother and her family spoke it really well, they were very much involved in Irish history, culture etc because they were musicians and writers, playing and travelling a fair bit, well as much as they could afford, and I always wished I could speak it better, to learn more from them and feel part of that, I feel disconnected in that way. My mothers aunt and her family only ever spoke Irish in the house, it was only in school or work that they spoke English. Their dog would only come to you if you called him in Irish, I shit you not.

Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:07 am
Climate Control
Climate Control

My Dad's family were all taught in Irish and so were all fluent, something I became very jealous of in later life. l still plan to do some kind of course to brush up, as I've forgotten most of what I learned in school. I'd planned to do it well before now but the last year or two have been mental.

Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:17 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Solaris wrote:
My Dad's family were all taught in Irish and so were all fluent, something I became very jealous of in later life. l still plan to do some kind of course to brush up, as I've forgotten most of what I learned in school. I'd planned to do it well before now but the last year or two have been mental.

Same as mate, they have them at the local vocational school so I'll do it there. It seems a shame to not have any, or enough to just converse a little, its just something that would be nice to do every so often.

Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:22 am
Climate Control
Climate Control

Indeed. I was pretty good in school up to the Inter Cert. After that I make the mistake of doing Transition Year and lost all motivation and interest in school, so what Irish I'd learned was quickly forgotten. I don't think there're any courses going in town but I'm sure there'll be something in Athlone. Galway definitely but I'd rather not have to travel 40 miles to do 2 2-hour classes a week.

Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:27 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Solaris wrote:
Indeed. I was pretty good in school up to the Inter Cert. After that I make the mistake of doing Transition Year and lost all motivation and interest in school, so what Irish I'd learned was quickly forgotten.

Fuckin hell, I was exactly the same after transition year. It was a mistake for me anyway, because I was jumpy in school anyway, between depression, car crashes, getting pissed up and my parents splitting up I just didn't give a fuck about school, and I was convinced to do transition year to give me breathing space but it made it worse, it was so drawn out I ended up having a breakdown early on in sixth year.

Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:33 am
Reply to topic   [ 2772 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 139  Next