www.Terrorizer.com - View topic - Comics (we don't need to call em graphic novels)
TERRORIZER FRONT PAGE
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:46 pm

Reply to topic  [ 770 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39  Next
 Comics (we don't need to call em graphic novels) 
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Post Re: Comics (we don't need to call em graphic novels)
Not really. It's heavily influenced my life actually ever since I started drawing a couple of years ago. For the better kinda all caught up with it. But I'm happy with where I am and where I appear to be going!

But yeah, I pretty much think in terms of everything being like that. I don't really know if it's bad or deluded, but for the most part since thinking like it I'm a more positive person, and things seem to be going my way. Whether that's just haphazard co-incidence or placebo effect, I'm not sure. I'm just happiest when drawing/reading about stuff like that.

Is it a crutch? (Whether anyone says that or not is up to them) I don't think so. I wasn't happy before hence all the dickhead posts a couple of years ago trying to incite people to rage over silly things like Deathcore. Which was just an example of it.

Probably not what you wanted me to respond with but I figure I should at least explain a bit where I am with all this and why I'm where I am. There's more stuff too but it's a bit weird and I'd prefer to keep it to myself in all honesty!

Since the order of the world is governed by death, perhaps it is better for God that we should not believe in Him and struggle with all our strength against death, without raising our eyes to heaven and to His silence.

Wed May 22, 2013 10:58 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Morrison's run on Judge Dredd was utter cack.

Wed May 22, 2013 1:21 pm
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

With all due respect, Shal, the lines that separate good from shit in your mind are so impossible for everyone else to read that they might as well be arbitrary. I haven't read his Dredd run, but all your post can meaningfully impart to me is that you have.

Wed May 22, 2013 3:57 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Shallowthing wrote:
Morrison's run on Judge Dredd was utter cack.

Was one of his first paying gigs, and he said himself he wasn't right for it.

Since the order of the world is governed by death, perhaps it is better for God that we should not believe in Him and struggle with all our strength against death, without raising our eyes to heaven and to His silence.

Wed May 22, 2013 8:07 pm
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Yeah, I find it hard to imagine Morrison doing Dredd straight. It was always satirical (or was always meant to be, anyway), but there's still a basic respect for the character that I think Morrison wouldn't have been able to manage. He'd have want to disembowel Dredd and put him back together wrong.

Wed May 22, 2013 8:10 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

It was cack. Total, irredeemable cack, so bad it wasn't even funny. Mostly just painful.

Wed May 22, 2013 8:16 pm
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Just like Ozzy-era Sabbath?

Wed May 22, 2013 8:20 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Ozzy-era Sabbath, with Zakk Wylde on guitar, Lars Ulrich on drums and Marco from Nightwish on bass.

And all the songs written by Queens of the Stone Age.

Wed May 22, 2013 8:38 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Grant Morrison does either really shit work or really brilliant work, there isn't really a middle ground with him.

Wed May 22, 2013 10:13 pm
Profile WWW
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Dreadful Dr Dee wrote:
Green Man wrote:
I like comics with naked birds

Hey, you guys are the ones with the funny slang.

Thu May 23, 2013 12:05 am
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

So, I'm reading some Alan Moore Swamp Thing comics as suggested and I notice that he is only the writer, someone else does the art, someone else does the colouring, and somebody else does the lettering.

So how does that work? Does the writer write out a script or does he draw a comic and then someone with better artistic skills re-draws it, someone else then colours it in, and then somebody redoes the word bubbles so they fit?

For the comic enthusiasts here, what makes good comic book writing?

Fri May 24, 2013 4:36 am
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

That's the norm in mainstream comics, Green - people like Mignola and Eisner who do everything themselves are fairly unusual (though more common in indie comics). Neil Gaiman said that the thing he likes most about writing comics is that it's a collaborative medium.

How it works depends on the people, but it generally starts with the writer. Alan Moore notoriously writes incredibly details descriptions of exactly what he wants where, but many writers prefer to give vague descriptions and leave it to the artist to interpret.

Fri May 24, 2013 5:57 am
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

I think I'll like to write a comic. Any examples of a comic written prior to going to the artist to draw?

Fri May 24, 2013 7:46 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Usually there is a penciler too, well used to be, not always the case now.

Writer -> Penciller -> Inking -> Colouring -> Lettering.

Lettering and colouring are a skill unto themselves and you notice more subtley when a letterer and an colourist are really great.

Writing a comic would be much like writing any other story, but I imagine it like a screenplay, with descriptions of the scene and each panel and so on.

Panel layout is an entire other story, bad or unenviting/dull panel layout can cripple the flow of a good story.

Fri May 24, 2013 8:54 am
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

I think an one of the first few volumes of the Sandman (must be one of them as I only have the first four or five I think) included Gaiman's script for the comic which he gave to the artist.

From what I remember about that and what I would also imagine myself you would have to think much more visually than for another story. I would probably make the plot/events of the storyline up first and then go through it and decide which scenes from the story I would like to show the reader and which lines of dialogue to be spoken.

I think for the latter it is probably difficult to find the right balance between telling the reader enough so they can easily follow the story without rendering the dialogue very wooden and unnatural (I often have trouble following comic plotlines, admittedly).

But that is all just my guesswork. I think someone on the board actually wrote a comic and has now found an artist for it and will have it published one day, so your questions might be answered much better by them ;)

Fri May 24, 2013 5:05 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

I accidentally started re-reading Sin City today. The Hard Goodbye, A Dame to Kill For and The Big Fat Kill down so far.

Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:59 pm
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Well, they are mostly just pitchurz.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:24 pm
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

Currently reading Superior Spiderman and Swamp Thing. Enjoying Superior Spidey but how long before Parker comes back and spoils things.

Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:17 am
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

Anyone seen this?

Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:22 am
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

Ha yes that was so good! Read Dredd for about 10 years when I was a kid, this really hit the mark.

Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:00 pm
Reply to topic   [ 770 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39  Next