www.Terrorizer.com - View topic - Mind fucking numbers and huge cockcarpeting planets!
TERRORIZER FRONT PAGE
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:44 am

Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Mind fucking numbers and huge cockcarpeting planets! 
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Post Re: Mind fucking numbers.
Green Machine wrote:
True, but based on observable phenomenon, and using the mathematics extrapolated from these observations, it has been generally accepted that the universe is expanding from a central point. The idea of the thermodynamic arrow of time, which we inarguably experience subjectively, relies somewhat on this being the case. So, mathematically, if we don't agree that the universe is expanding we turn in on ourselves as to approach it as a metaphysical problem. Which then becomes a metaphysical conundrum, because as such, all of science relies on accepted physical law, so then we must question all chemical and biological quantities and qualities that we accept.

So we move away from science and into philosophy. So, then, what are we?...

But you also have to factor in the new developments of Dark Matter and the other Dark Flow. Which don't fit into the current mathematical equation of the universe or even the physics of it they've observed so far. So it comes down to either we havn't found the part of the equation that they fit into, or the whole equation is fundamentally wrong.

Since the order of the world is governed by death, perhaps it is better for God that we should not believe in Him and struggle with all our strength against death, without raising our eyes to heaven and to His silence.

Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:25 am
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Angry Mob Justice wrote:
First time watching National Geographic and Discovery Channel, Mali? :P

Not the first time, but yeah something like that.... :lol:

Quote:
Space is big

Understatement of the millennium.

Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:41 am
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Has no-one posted THAT BIT from Hitchhikers' yet? I'm surprised.

Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:42 am
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Richie H-R wrote:

Which bit, haven't read it for years

AND only the book and radio series are REAL.

TV series was bad, film was a fucking disgrace.

Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:59 am
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

The TV series was alright, though it may just be that I was very young (and unfamiliar with the books and shows) when I first saw it. The computer graphics for the Guide have aged really well, and they do a fairly good job of tying it all together. The film, obviously, was dreadful.

Anyway, the "Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space" bit.

When searching for that online I found a number of sites which replaced "chemist" with "drugstore". Because American publishers apparently have so little confidence in their readers that they don't think they can handle even that cultural difference without freaking out and shooting twenty people from a tower. I'm depressed now.

Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:06 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Richie H-R wrote:
The TV series was alright, though it may just be that I was very young (and unfamiliar with the books and shows) when I first saw it. The computer graphics for the Guide have aged really well, and they do a fairly good job of tying it all together. The film, obviously, was dreadful.

Well obviously, Martin Freeman was the first nail in it's coffin. Just think if they'd made it now it would have been James Corden. Be thankful for small mercies!

Quote:
Anyway, the "Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space" bit.

Ah yes, of course!

Quote:
When searching for that online I found a number of sites which replaced "chemist" with "drugstore". Because American publishers apparently have so little confidence in their readers that they don't think they can handle even that cultural difference without freaking out and shooting twenty people from a tower. I'm depressed now.

If someone can't cope with that I really doubt they are going to be able to comprehend/enjoy a book like that, frankly.

Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:23 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Red supergiants (RSGs) are supergiant stars (luminosity class I) of spectral type K or M. They are the largest stars in the universe in terms of volume, although they are not the most massive. Betelgeuse and Antares are the best known examples of a red supergiant.

Stars with more than about 10 solar masses after burning their hydrogen become red supergiants during their helium-burning phase. These stars have very cool surface temperatures (3500–4500 K), and enormous radii. The five largest known red supergiants in the Galaxy are VY Canis Majoris, VV Cephei A, V354 Cephei, RW Cephei and KW Sagittarii, which all have radii about 1500 times that of the sun (about 7 astronomical units, or 7 times as far as the Earth is from the sun). The radius of most red giants is between 200 and 800 times that of the sun.

This is cool, if only for the hilarious comments underneath

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7geP5ev0VI

Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:36 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

I feel a concept album coming on which should be called CY Canis Majoris, which would be a three disc, 234 min very loud rumbling noise, the kind of which they use in films to illustrate huge planets moving, even though there's no sound in space.....

Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:43 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Green Machine wrote:
Angry Mob Justice wrote:
Green Machine wrote:
True, but based on observable phenomenon, and using the mathematics extrapolated from these observations, it has been generally accepted that the universe is expanding from a central point. The idea of the thermodynamic arrow of time, which we inarguably experience subjectively, relies somewhat on this being the case. So, mathematically, if we don't agree that the universe is expanding we turn in on ourselves as to approach it as a metaphysical problem. Which then becomes a metaphysical conundrum, because as such, all of science relies on accepted physical law, so then we must question all chemical and biological quantities and qualities that we accept.

So we move away from science and into philosophy. So, then, what are we?...

But you also have to factor in the new developments of Dark Matter and the other Dark Flow. Which don't fit into the current mathematical equation of the universe or even the physics of it they've observed so far. So it comes down to either we havn't found the part of the equation that they fit into, or the whole equation is fundamentally wrong.

I thought the developments in the idea of dark matter and flow were sort of patches for the current theory. I can't remember exactly off the top of my head, but isn't it to do with the fact that the theory doesn't work when you calculate the size of the universe, and that it's much bigger than the possible amount of matter that could fill it (using the maths that the theory is based on)? So rather than being observed phenomenon, they're sort of interpretive ideas that are desgined to keep current theory alive, so to speak... based on ideas in parallel mathematical theory (i.e. ideas from theoretical maths in its own right, not physics-based or intended for this purpose)? Here's where I fray, I don't understand the maths concepts or how they're applied, so I don't really get the idea of dark matter other than in the layman sort of way.

To be honest neither do I all I know is a lot of cosmologoists (or whoever, people who stare at the sky and calculate things) were pretty worried about it. Was on BBC Horizon a while back.

Since the order of the world is governed by death, perhaps it is better for God that we should not believe in Him and struggle with all our strength against death, without raising our eyes to heaven and to His silence.

Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:45 pm
Opinionated Loudmouth. Perkele!

Richie H-R wrote:

If you look back behind your post you will actually notice a HH reference (a more relevant one at that)

Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:03 pm
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Can't spot it, Chugger - it has been a while since I read/listened to it. I can't imagine what would be more relevant than the "Space is big", though. Put me out of my misery, what was the reference.

Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:33 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:01 pm
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Oh that, yeah, I did see that first time around, but my eyes skimmed over it the second. I'd say they were equally relevant, but this is obviously a serious issue for both of you, so I'm happy to step back.

Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:06 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Post Re: Mind fucking numbers and huge cockcarpeting planets!
I used to have a space book that claimed it would take 45 years to get to Pluto. It was a really fucking odd book, though; it was written as though it were already the future, with detailed descriptions and diagrams of spacecraft which were never made and space missions which never actually took place.

Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:37 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

No, it was a definite book. I can't remember the title. It sold itself as the usual child-friendly guide to outer space, etc., but it had all this other weirdness in it too.

Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:19 pm
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Morf wrote:
Graham's Number is so big that the number of zeros after the first number wouldn't fit in the universe if you wrote them down on paper.

Graham can stick his number up his arse, only it wont fit, his head's already up there.

Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:23 pm
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

Unless his arse works on similar principles to Hilbert's infinite hotel.
Then he'll just move it along one, insert his number and carry on without even a little bit of anal bleeding.

Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:07 pm

Morf wrote:
Don't step back, i'll go off on a rant about how terrible the film of HHGTTG was. I promise i will.

It was absolutely terrible! I was expecting bad moving onto very bad but that managed to get it even worse. Thankfully I don't think they are doing any of the other books.

Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:39 pm
Climate Control
Climate Control

I read the first ...Hitchhiker's Guide... book twice but could never be bothered to carry on with the series. The TV series was good. The film was abysmal.

Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:00 am
Climate Control
Climate Control

I saw it in the late eighties/early nineties so it would have been (more or less) current. It still has a million times more charm than the execrable film.

Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:05 am
Reply to topic   [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next