www.Terrorizer.com - View topic - Scottish Independence
TERRORIZER FRONT PAGE
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:07 am

Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Scottish Independence 

Yay or Nae?
Yes 50%  50%  [ 6 ]
No 50%  50%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 12

Scottish Independence 
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Post Scottish Independence
Should Scotland stay or should they go? I want Scotland to stay for purely selfish reasons, they have 59 MPs and (I think) only one is a Tory. We might be permanently saddled with the chinless cunts without them. That said if I was Scotland I would certianly want to vote Yes, even if I had misgivings.

If Scotland goes, I can imagine what will essentially be England with Wales and NI tagged on as an increasingly irrelevant backwater, sliding towards a return of feudalism. Cunteron has promised a referendum on Europe and I "yes" there is worryingly likely. We would lose our significant voice in Europe and the Yanks would be increasinly less likely to treat us as their favourite lapdog.

Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:15 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Post Re: Scottish Independence
I can totally see why the Scots would fuck off right now, especially with what's being done to the NHS.

One of the nurses at work is Scottish and he thinks there's a very high chance Scotland will vote to leave.

http://seabastard.bandcamp.com/

turdy wrote:
Great tits and slow as fuck doom are Cromwell's Raison d'être.

Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:20 pm
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

I havent kept up on this, so a genuine question, if Scotland goes independent, does it stop getting grants from Westminster?

Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:33 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:04 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

turdy wrote:

Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:09 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

You are jealous becuase you are still under the chinless Westminster paedos.

Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:30 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

From what I've seen, Salmond hasn't got a Plan B and is, in fact, coming across like a bit of a numpty who has seen Braveheart a few too many times.

Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:32 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Triggmartyr wrote:
From what I've seen, Salmond hasn't got a Plan B and is, in fact, coming across like a bit of a numpty who has seen Braveheart a few too many times.

Um, have you been reading The Mail and The Sun?

I haven't been keeping up with the debates but from what I've seen, he completely wiped the floor with Alistair Darling and Westminster appear to be the ones who have no plan b, beyond attempting to scaremonger a "no" vote, and I'm saying that as someone who wants a "no" vote.

Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:37 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

From what I gather Scotland actually has quite a lot to lose from leaving, but they are quite a left wing nation and the Tory government has been undermining things a lot.

The Scot at work thinks there may actually be a yes vote majority. It's interesting seeing it all happen.

If the Tories keep on selling the NHS and so on I might fuck off to Scotland too! They have some lovely archaeology.

turdy wrote:

Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:46 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

They have an enormous amount to loose as you say but also to gain. It's no coincidence that Salmond held this referendum late in a Tory govt. I do fear that the global sitaution in the Middle East and Ukraine could spark a war which could delay the next general election, Cameron may well push for this as war is often good for votes, there's a huge emergency NATO meeting in Cardiff on Thursday and Friday, Cameron's chance to play the big man making "tough decisions".

If Scotland goes, I would consider moving there.

Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:02 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Orkney Islands for me. This is my new home...

turdy wrote:

Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:32 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

There are many reasons to be unhappy about Salmond as he is a shady and somewhat silly individual (I know "silly" is hardly a devastating critique. I can't even put my finger on why he is silly. But he is silly), but a Yes vote doesn't mean you're pro-Salmond.

There are dark conspiracy theories swirling around online about how the No campaign has been nudged by the likes of Lynton Crosby into a direction that wilfully condescends to Scots in order to annoy them into voting Yes, thus leaving England with a potential Tory majority; something they are willing to sacrifice the Union for. I don't think it's quite that cynical but it has amazed me how purely reliant on scaremongering Better Together has been.

I'm not living there at the moment and I forgot to apply for postal voting in time, which I am kicking myself for. I would have voted Yes, as I have voted for the Greens the last couple of elections anyway. Westminster is undemocratic, unreformed, and a drag on everyone regardless; the system (maaaan) is basically rigged, and Clegg has fucked the possibility of PR for a generation, although the tabloids were also to blame.

Those that I know who are pro-independence are less concerned about sticking two fingers up at the Tories, and more about registering their dissastisfaction with Labour, who are completely moribund, even more so in Scotland than in England, and who resolutely refuse to listen to the progressive Scottish left.

I am concerned that a Yes outcome might concievably leave us with a Tory fuckfest forever, but at the same time, perhaps that outcome might motivate the "don't vote, the government always gets in" types, especially in the north of England, to start registering their disapproval a bit more, and perhaps then we can work towards a more politically engaged and genuinely democratic future for England as (I hope) a Yes vote might point towards a similar future for Scotland.

Those are two pretty fucking enormous "perhaps"es there, and an even bigger "I hope". I realise this.

Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:50 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Myrddin wrote:
Triggmartyr wrote:

Um, have you been reading The Mail and The Sun?

I haven't been keeping up with the debates but from what I've seen, he completely wiped the floor with Alistair Darling and Westminster appear to be the ones who have no plan b, beyond attempting to scaremonger a "no" vote, and I'm saying that as someone who wants a "no" vote.

Nah, BBC and Metro.

Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:26 pm
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

Absolutely yes. Get rid and work at cutting off NI and Wales later.

Odd how they've labelled it an independence movement when they're desperate to keep the pound, want to keep a foreign monarch as their head of state and stay in the EU, with it's famed respect for the autonomy of small states.

Resting their future economic security on the oil wells seems a bit risky seen as half of the oil supplies in the North Sea have already gone and production shortfalls have led to Britain becoming a net importer of crude for decades. Unless they're going to find some new fields sharpish, Salmond's gonna have trouble funding his Scandi-style social democrat utopia.

That said, Westminster simply haven't taken the Yes campaign seriously at all, which is why they put a non-entity like Darling in charge of it. No planning whatsoever. It's like they want them to leave.

Should be fun.

Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:59 pm
Climate Control
Climate Control

IN all honesty I couldnt care less, if they want to go let them, will be interesting to see how long they can keep funding free education and prescriptions though.

Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:38 pm
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

Dr Yail Bloor wrote:
IN all honesty I couldnt care less, if they want to go let them, will be interesting to see how long they can keep funding free education and prescriptions though.

They'll be the first on the chopping block once the wells run dry.

Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:41 pm
Climate Control
Climate Control

Exactly.

Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:43 pm
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

Only if they have the sense to put loads of effort to broaden their economy beyond petrochemicals.

Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:49 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

We've always got the export of short bread and Irn Bru.

I don't think it will make much difference who is running us, twats in Edinburgh or twats in London, all self serving cunts that care not a jot for the people they are in charge of.

I'm quite happy being Scottish and British and see no need to change now.

Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:00 pm
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

Hope so for their sakes. They seem to be following Germany's lead on the renewables front which is a bad sign.

Either way, we won't be on the hook for their pensions. Or their NHS.

Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:10 pm
Reply to topic   [ 58 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next