www.Terrorizer.com - View topic - Favourite Action Films
TERRORIZER FRONT PAGE
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:13 pm

Reply to topic  [ 183 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 Favourite Action Films 
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Post Re: Favourite Action Films
Unless it is a Bruce Lee film, don't bother your hole with Norris.

Roadhouse is prime fucking cheese, Gazzara knows how to do OTT properly, and Sam Elliott is fucking brilliant. Neeson was the best thing about Next Of Kin for me.

Stuffstuff wrote:
The Transformer movies wouldn't be half as bad if they cut out all of the Shia Le Bouef shitfest boy-gets-the-girl stuff and learned how to keep a fucking camera still, jesus.

They will never be good with Bay involved, seeing as he has no concept of pacing, tension or really, anything that makes a watchable enduring film, and whoever designed those fucking robots should be skinned alive with a knife dipped in hot shit.

"Here is something we have made unnecessarily complex looking, to distract from the fact we have nothing remotely interesting or actually entertaining to offer, even in the context of a film based on a massive kids cartoon about robots toys that become other kinds of toys. Hey, make it fucking loud too, with shouty walking cliches, that will cover our shortcomings"

They actually manage to make the cartoon dialogue sound meaningful and sophisticated.

Fuck Michael Bay. He is to filmmaking what Simon Cowell is to music.

Last edited by The Wretch on Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:08 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Cromwell wrote:
Can anyone recommend some Chuck Norris films please?

I've seen Lone Wolf and the three MIA films, but not sure where else to go.

Code of Silence is a good un as is Delta Force.

Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:08 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

First two Mad Maxes only for me, really.

Nothing wrong with a couple of nicely placed action sequences, but that's a thriller thing.

An entire 90 minutes of explosions is just the cinema equiv of overprocessed br00tal death metal, and the whole 'Arnie does a one-liner' thing is smugger than any bespecatacled indie film.

Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:09 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

The Wretch wrote:
Roadhouse is prime fucking cheese,

Action Films are total Gorganzola.

Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:10 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Clint Ruin wrote:
An entire 90 minutes of explosions is just the cinema equiv of overprocessed br00tal death metal

This more or less.

Clint Ruin wrote:
whole 'Arnie does a one-liner' thing is smugger than any bespecatacled indie film.

And neither is as smug as the Oceans movies.

Speaking of things starring Matt Damon, I like the Bourne films quite a bit.

Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:12 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

oneleggedpunk wrote:

Nice one, cheers OLP.

http://seabastard.bandcamp.com/

turdy wrote:
Great tits and slow as fuck doom are Cromwell's Raison d'être.

Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:12 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Clint Ruin wrote:
First two Mad Maxes only for me, really.

Never was much of a fan, but the first was the best of the franchise by a fucking mile.

Clint Ruin wrote:
and the whole 'Arnie does a one-liner' thing is smugger than any bespecatacled indie film.

Especially when John Wayne and Clint Eastwood were both better at it.

Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:13 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Most people prefer the second MM but I'm more partial to the first. The future actually will look like a permanently overcast Sunday. Plus: the Toecutter. Best role Gary Oldman never got to play (probably because he was on the other side of the world and still in drama school, but anyway).

Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:16 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

I love the second Mad Max as much as the first, although the first is probably a more interesting film in terms of the plot and central characters.

I tell you what is another great oz movie from that sort of era (but not strictly action I suppose) which also stars Hugh Keays Byrne (Toecutter) - 'Stone'. Great biker flick.

Last edited by The Wretch on Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:18 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Stone is a great film, one of the better Biker films of it's time.

Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:24 pm
Climate Control
Climate Control

Cromwell wrote:
Solaris wrote:
Is that the angle they're going for (I haven't heard any plot details)? I know they're digitally de-aging him, so I'd assumed they'd have him (as he is now) as the human template they sampled to 'grow' the Terminators' skin, and the digital Arnie as Terminators. Or something.

From wiki:

Quote:
On the verge of winning the war against Skynet, Connor sends his trusted lieutenant Kyle Reese back through time to save his mother's life and ensure his own existence. But what he finds on the other side is like nothing he ever expected. After being orphaned at age 9 by a Terminator, Sarah Connor has since been brought up by another Terminator, played by Schwarzenegger, programmed to protect her. This Terminator has then trained her to face her destiny, which she adamantly tries to reject.

Interesting. No harm to go down a different route. All of the other films exist in different timelines anyway, so why not move away from the usual scenario?

The Wretch wrote:
Stuffstuff wrote:
The Transformer movies wouldn't be half as bad if they cut out all of the Shia Le Bouef shitfest boy-gets-the-girl stuff and learned how to keep a fucking camera still, jesus.

They will never be good with Bay involved, seeing as he has no concept of pacing, tension or really, anything that makes a watchable enduring film, and whoever designed those fucking robots should be skinned alive with a knife dipped in hot shit.

"Here is something we have made unnecessarily complex looking, to distract from the fact we have nothing remotely interesting or actually entertaining to offer, even in the context of a film based on a massive kids cartoon about robots toys that become other kinds of toys. Hey, make it fucking loud too, with shouty walking cliches, that will cover our shortcomings"

They actually manage to make the cartoon dialogue sound meaningful and sophisticated.

Fuck Michael Bay. He is to filmmaking what Simon Cowell is to music.

Word indeed. All of the inherent charm the concept and cartoons had was totally lost in the shiny, overfiltered, sheer cringeworthy explosionfests he's curled out. It shames me that I have two of his films on my shelf.

Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:30 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

The Wretch wrote:

The likes of Michael Bay, with the something-happening-really-fast-to-mask-the-lack-of-real-action cgi shitfest, and Will Smith with his "heelll nooo" bollocks, can go fuck themselves. They don't know the meaning of the word "action".

Of course. Those cunts don't belong in this true action thread.

Crom A Force of One is a decent Chuck film. But Code of Silence is one of his best.

Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:02 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

oneleggedpunk wrote:
Cromwell wrote:
Can anyone recommend some Chuck Norris films please?

I've seen Lone Wolf and the three MIA films, but not sure where else to go.

Invasion USA is excellent. I remember watching it three times over a weekend when I was a kid.

Hero and the Terror is a cool little serial killer film.

The Octagon is also good, even though all I think about now when I hear the title is Bryan Fantana in Anchorman.

Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:06 am
Profile WWW
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

I'm assuming Indiana Jones counts as Action, ok, it's "Action Adventure" but that's just splitting hairs. Raiders of the Lost Ark is the best Action film of all time.

Raiders 5
Temples 4
Crusade 4

There are only 3. If there was another one, it would be 0.25 and the 0.25 for the stunt where Indy is pulled off a bike, into a car, and then get's out the other side and onto a bike. But that film was never made.

Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:38 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Myrddin wrote:
I'm assuming Indiana Jones counts as Action, ok, it's "Action Adventure" but that's just splitting hairs. Raiders of the Lost Ark is the best Action film of all time.

Raiders 5
Temples 4
Crusade 4

There are only 3. If there was another one, it would be 0.25 and the 0.25 for the stunt where Indy is pulled off a bike, into a car, and then get's out the other side and onto a bike. But that film was never made.

Is the film that doesn't exist, the one with the Harley that is clearly a new bike dressed to look like a 50's bike? Obviously not as that film only exists with the same people who think there are more than 3 Star Wars films.

Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:19 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

oneleggedpunk wrote:
Myrddin wrote:

Raiders 5
Temples 4
Crusade 4

Is the film that doesn't exist, the one with the Harley that is clearly a new bike dressed to look like a 50's bike? Obviously not as that film only exists with the same people who think there are more than 3 Star Wars films.

It probably was, I am amazed that they didn't CGI the whole, which is the sort of thing the fat, bearded bloke who was the only person who wanted to make this film, loves. But fortunately he didn't get the chance to make this film, or an other ones, after 1989.

Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:22 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

I don't recognise any date past 1989.

Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:32 pm
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

The Wretch wrote:
Stuffstuff wrote:

On e of weirdest things about that Franchise under Bay is how he managed to ruin a mindless action film with too little action. Shaky-cam nonsense doesn't annoy me half as much as that endlessly annoying "comedy" skits and Having Shia Le Wahtever anywhere near it. Same deal with Megan Fox. Stick to the playboy centrefolds.

As regards favourite action movies, Black Mask with Jet Li still stands out for me. As does House Of Flying Daggers, Crouching Tiger, Hero, etc etc.

Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:56 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Chuck Norris is fucking awful and it's a mystery why he's this big pop-culture icon.

Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:02 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Because he's in films that are only good when you're to fucked to think, and in those films he's very good.

Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:05 pm
Reply to topic   [ 183 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next