www.Terrorizer.com - View topic - Film Thread VI
TERRORIZER FRONT PAGE
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:33 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4401 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 198, 199, 200, 201, 202, 203, 204 ... 221  Next
 Film Thread VI 
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Post Re: Film Thread VI
I'm trying to watch more 'classic' Hammer films, but it's a struggle. The best one I've seen is probably 3 fists at best. Maybe 3.5 on a good day. Perhaps I've just seen the wrong ones? I watched The Vampire Lovers last week and found it rather boring. 2 fists.

So far I prefer the idea of Hammer more than the actual films.

Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:36 am
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Try the Quatermass ones.

Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:38 am
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

robitusson wrote:
Try the Quatermass ones.

And the TV series. Can't recommend the 70s series too much, but the 50s one was pretty good for it's time. All written by Nigel Kneale. Also remade in 2005.

I am Deth!!! Fukk You!!! 我死了!你他媽的!나는 죽음 이다! 엿 먹어 !私は死です!あなたをファック!أنا الموت! اللعنة عليك !Я - смерть! Пошел на хуй !איך בין טויט! באַרען איר!میں موت ہوں! تم بھاڑ میں جاؤ !Olen kuolema ! Haista vittu !Είμαι ο θάνατος ! Γαμήσου !Yr wyf marwolaeth ! Ffyc chi!Ek is die dood! Fok jou !मैं मृत्यु हूं! फक यू!

"Anyone who says a bad fuck is better than a good wank has obviously never had either." - my mate Anthony

Metalcore- parting morons from their money since ages ago.

Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:43 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

robitusson wrote:
Try the Quatermass ones.

The Quartermass one I saw was probably the best Hammer so far. I liked Rasputin too.

Hound of The Baskervilles was also decent, but it didn't really impress me. I prefer The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes and Murder By Decree.

Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:18 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Stat_Rad wrote:
robitusson wrote:
Try the Quatermass ones.

The Quartermass one I saw was probably the best Hammer so far. I liked Rasputin too.

Hound of The Baskervilles was also decent, but it didn't really impress me. I prefer The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes and Murder By Decree.

The Abominable Snowman is pretty atmospheric.

Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:35 pm
Climate Control
Climate Control

Not a Hammer film but along the same lines and of the time: The Asphyx. Always liked that one.

Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:36 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

THE VOID
(2016)

A small town Sheriff gets more than he bargains for when he takes an injured drug addict to the local hospital. First, he has to shoot a nurse after he witnesses her stabbing a patient in the eyes with a pair of scissors, then he gets stabbed himself as the hospital suddenly becomes surrounded by hooded figures with long, pointy knives, and then the nurse turns into a tentacled monster thing. And as if that wasn't bad enough, two armed men turn up threatening to kill everyone in the hospital unless they hand over the drug addict.

With so much action crammed into the first half an hour, the film soon begins to creak and wobble its way through a second act that features mind control, skin-peeling demons, pregnancies, a hidden basement, evil triangles, and more things with tentacles. And by the time the final third arrives, everything pretty much begins to collapse under its own weight.

Lifting bit and pieces from the works of H.P. Lovecraft, Lucio Fulci, and John Carpenter, plus grabbing ideas from movies like Hellraiser, and Event Horizon, The Void is far from terrible, but if it does eventually go on to attain some kind of cult classic status then it will only serve to prove just how utterly bereft of originality the genre has become.

On the plus side, the practical special effects are superb (backgrounds aside, CGI is a rarity in The Void), and some scenes almost drip with tension. The robed figures are seriously menacing, the main villain is suitably creepy, the acting is decent (for the most part) and there's always something happening - it's just that the story all too quickly becomes nothing more than a confused mess of barely explored ideas with an equally frustrating climax.

3 Fists

Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:50 am
Profile WWW
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Are the Dr Phibes films from Hammer Horror?

I am Deth!!! Fukk You!!! 我死了!你他媽的!나는 죽음 이다! 엿 먹어 !私は死です!あなたをファック!أنا الموت! اللعنة عليك !Я - смерть! Пошел на хуй !איך בין טויט! באַרען איר!میں موت ہوں! تم بھاڑ میں جاؤ !Olen kuolema ! Haista vittu !Είμαι ο θάνατος ! Γαμήσου !Yr wyf marwolaeth ! Ffyc chi!Ek is die dood! Fok jou !मैं मृत्यु हूं! फक यू!

"Anyone who says a bad fuck is better than a good wank has obviously never had either." - my mate Anthony

Metalcore- parting morons from their money since ages ago.

Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:13 pm
Climate Control
Climate Control

I don't believe so.

Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:14 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

RESIDENT EVIL: THE FINAL CHAPTER

The sixth film in this seemingly never-ending series, The Final Chapter is the latest - and I hope the last (don't laugh - remember the Friday the 13th series included two films with the word "final" yet still kept-a-rollin') disappointment to add to the list.

This time, Milla Jovovich not only has to fight zombies and human villains, but also the ageing process as she looks far too old to be doing this kind of stuff. Not quite as bad as Harrison Ford looked in the last Indiana Jones film, but getting close.

Main villain this time out (apart from the script, the acting, and the headache-inducing editing) is Ser Friendzone from Game of Thrones, who loses his hand about halfway in, and his ability to act even sooner. The plot is nonsensical at best, so don't even bother trying to follow it as it jumps continuously from set-piece to set-piece and CGI explosion to CGI explosion. Action sequences suffer the most as the editor appears to have a seizure every two seconds, randomly throwing as many quick cuts, close-ups, distance shots, different camera angles, and slow-motion effects with all the cohesion of an ADHD sufferer with a remote control.

To it's credit, there are some stunning visuals along the way (post-apocalyptic Raccoon City looks superb) but the problems arise whenever director Paul W Anderson decides to place people or things into the picture. There are some nice little nods to the first RE film, but overall The Final Chapter is just a massive mess; a digitally enhanced explosion of special effects, bad acting, and zombie dogs.

1 Fist

Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:41 am
Profile WWW
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

I watched one of those Resident Evil movies in the cinema. Might have been the first one actually - not sure. It was really shit. The idea that there are six of them now boggles the mind.

Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:50 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Last few weeks of viewing:

*=rewatch

Scary Movie* - 4.5/10

Scary Movie 2* - 4.5/10

Blow Up* - 7.5/10

Bone Tomahawk - 6.5/10

Hot Shots* - 7/10

Hot Shots 2* - 7/10

The Wanderers* - 7/10

Being There* - 8/10

Once Upon a Time In The West* - 8.5/10

The Vampire Lovers - 4/10

Elle - 5.5/10

National Lampoon's Loaded Weapon* - 6/10

Top Secret* - 6/10

^film parodies are all the rage around here!!

Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:30 pm
Climate Control
Climate Control

Kong: Skull Island - Meh. Extremely silly, crap monsters and clearly just a set up for more monster mash-up 'fun'. Must try harder. Kong himself was pretty cool, if waaaaaay too big. 2/5

Logan - Excellent, really. Bleak and downbeat, just what was needed. 4.5/5.

Quick question: was there a post-credits scene? I was sure I'd read that there was but the clean-up crew assured us that there wasn't.

Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:12 am
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Solaris wrote:

Logan - Excellent, really. Bleak and downbeat, just what was needed. 4.5/5.

Great Basil Fawlty bit with the car.

Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:27 am
Lifer, Deather, Hesher, Whatever.

Dawn Patrol - 1938

I'll admit I didn't find the first 30-45 minutes very captivating but as the movie went on it got more and more interesting, if maybe a bit predictable. Great acting by Errol Flynn and David Niven.

Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:50 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Rogue One: watchable but joyless and kind of dull. I want Star Wars, not real wars. Some surprisingly ropey CGI at times and close to zero character development. The main woman has no screen presence and the cast were poorly chosen. The dog fights were decent, but I was never truly involved. Overall I'd say it is the second worst Star Wars film after Clones. The scene of Vader mowing down the rebels was good, but it was too little too late. 2.5/5

Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:13 am

Stat_Rad wrote:
The main woman has no screen presence and the cast were poorly chosen.

It felt like she was a school prefect auditioning for a school play. A toffy, upper class school play.

Forrest Whittaker was particularly dire here also, but when is he ever not?!?!

:|

Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:59 pm

Another join the dots-y Star Wars film coming your way soon.

Enjoy.

Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:01 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

One of the Lynch films I missed. Only flaws - the sickly score grates at times & Alvin should have dismantled the mower part from the outset. Still I give it 5. Crikey Its Lawnmower Death.

Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:28 am
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Paris Chrome wrote:
[

Forrest Whittaker was particularly dire here also, but when is he ever not?!?!

He was very good in SPECIES. Oh no, wait...it was Natasha Henstridge's tits that were great in SPECIES, sorry.

Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:42 am
Reply to topic   [ 4401 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 198, 199, 200, 201, 202, 203, 204 ... 221  Next