www.Terrorizer.com - View topic - Film Thread VI
TERRORIZER FRONT PAGE
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:08 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5095 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 251, 252, 253, 254, 255  Next
 Film Thread VI 
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Post Re: Film Thread VI
I thought The Rocketeer was decent enough, especially for Timothy Dalton doing his best Errol Flynn impression.

Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:05 pm
Climate Control
Climate Control

I watched the Papillon remake last night. Utterly pointless, and inferior to the 1973 version. Stick to that instead.

Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:12 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

I'm not sure why they would bother remaking Papillon unless the director or producer involved really wanted to. It's a semi-forgotten film now, and I guarantee that most of the fans of that film are 55+, which is hardly the target demographic for cinema.

It also wasn't made by a major studio, and the budget was smaller than the original when accounting for inflation. This all suggests to me that the people who worked on it probably really felt there was a need for it.

I can't speak on the end result because I haven't seen it, but it doesn't strike me as being a cynical exercise.

Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:18 am
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Terminator: Dark Fate.

Absolutely shit. Not because it's a female-lead movie, but without giving away too many spoilers (although, I suspect a few of you may already know them anyway), it completely retcons the events and main focus of the whole Terminator mythos in an extremely ham-fisted and cack-handed way not seen since The Simpsons retconned it's own mythos with the episode "That 90's Show". It also feels like Arnie and Hamilton are only back to lend some weight to the movie but they're both used poorly. The antagonist isn't bad - it just feels like a T1000 knock-off and with worse graphics.

One Fist.

Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:02 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Spiny Norman wrote:
Cuchulainn wrote:
Stat_Rad wrote:
^^That's a good one! Better than Marvel shit!

This.

Not a chance. :lol:

I saw The Rocketeer at the cinema.
I fell asleep at one point.

I don't actually remember it. I saw it something like 25 years ago. I just remember thinking, hmmm, film about a guy with a rocket on his back.

Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:50 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Looking forward to WW84!

Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:53 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

I didn't think the last one was that great. But I'm keen on anything 80's themed.

Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:59 pm
Climate Control
Climate Control

The last one was ridiculously overrated, people got caught up in the 'OMG FINALLY A FEMALE SUPERHERO MOVIE' hype buzz.

Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:10 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

The Irishman: Seen it twice. It has its moments, but it's too fucking long and draggy, and it's not exceptionally well written. Pacino gives his best performance in a long time as Hoffa though--no one chews dialogue quite like him--and Deniro is good too, despite playing a rather uninteresting character. Pesci is more understated than usual, and he does it well. They all have a few really good scenes together, but it's really not what it's cracked up to be, and the de-aging effects are hit and miss because they still move and sound like old men.

Having said that, if you like Scorsese and the main 3 actors, you will definitely find something to 'enjoy', and a few scenes linger after the credits roll. It's just frustrating to watch at times because of all the unrealized potential. 6.5/10.

As for Wonder Woman, I can't be arsed. I watched some of the first one, and it was painful to watch. Gadot is a great looking woman, but she can't act for nuts, and it had a real low rent vibe to it despite costing a mint.

Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:58 am
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

I couldn't even sit through Captain Marvel. Besides the fact that most superhero films are getting really boring. Could be that I'm getting older and the novelty is wearing off.

Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:32 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Star Wars: The Rise Of Skywalker.

Spoiler-free review: It's crap. Easily the worst of the new trilogy and only one step up from The Phantom Menace. Tries to make up for the failings of The Last Jedi by being a massively colossal spectacle, but at the expense of decent acting, storytelling and plot. Whilst those type of things are usually not really needed in an SW movie, they do at least make some kind of effort...

2 Fists. And that's only because of a decent duel between Marey Sue and Emo Ren.

Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:29 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Agreed. But for me the only entertainment was the little alien guy that cheered a lot. That and seeing it in 3D made it tolerable.

Out of Episodes 7-9 the only one I enjoyed was 8.

Out of Episodes 1-3 the only one I enjoyed was 3 (although 2 had some good visual moments)

Out of Episodes 4-6 - these all rocked! But partly because I was a kid at the time but I believe that these were the only ones that really made you feel like you were immersed into another world and watching Luke Skywalker become cool was the ultimate pay off.

Wed Dec 25, 2019 5:09 am
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Green Man wrote:
Agreed. But for me the only entertainment was the little alien guy that cheered a lot. That and seeing it in 3D made it tolerable.

Out of Episodes 7-9 the only one I enjoyed was 8.

Out of Episodes 1-3 the only one I enjoyed was 3 (although 2 had some good visual moments)

Out of Episodes 4-6 - these all rocked! But partly because I was a kid at the time but I believe that these were the only ones that really made you feel like you were immersed into another world and watching Luke Skywalker become cool was the ultimate pay off.

Babu Frik. Him and Baby Yoda are a marketers wet dream.

Tbh, I reckon the best things with the Star Wars name in the last 20 years have been Knights Of The Old Republic, Rogue One and The Mandalorian.

Wed Dec 25, 2019 12:58 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Once Upon a Time In Hollywood: I'm in the minority on this one, but I honestly believe it's one of Tarantino's very worst films. It's just long and pointless. I wasn't bored, but to me it seemed far more simplistic than his previous films in terms of narrative and character, and the dialogue wasn't as well written as usual either. In the end, it didn't seem like it was about much at all, and the Manson sub-plot just seemed shoehorned in. None of the actors deliver top notch performances either, although Pitt is quite good as a laconic stunt man/assistant.

5.5/10. Only Death Proof is worse in his filmography.

The Wild Pear Tree: Another long novelistic film by Turkish director Ceylan. At this point you know what to expect: slow, long films with lengthy quasi-philosophical conversations about life and its struggles/disappointments. It looks great and it's very well acted. I'd give it a 7 or 7.5/10, but I don't think it's good as other films he has made.

Planet of The Apes (2001): rewatch. Interesting how this was one of the last blockbusters made with mostly practical effects. The story is junk and Wahlberg was miscast, but there is a real attempt at world building here that I felt was missing in the more recent films, although I haven't seen War. Roth is good as the villain, and there are some good scenes. The plot twist in the finale is also fine if you accept that it was intended as a cliffhanger to be explained in the next film that was never made.

Overall, I don't think it's a bad film, but it certainly ended Burton's great 10+ year run, and it marked the beginning of his descent into remakes and adaptations. 5.5/10

Don't Torture a Duckling: a whole different experience in HD. Probably Fulci's best. Makes a real social statement within a loose giallo-esque framework, and visually it's like a neo-realist film in colour ala Rossi. Fulci made a lot of shit films, but this wasn't one of them. The acting is quite good too, even if the Italian dubbing is spotty. 7/10

Bloodsport: aka Moronic Machismo: International Style. For a certain generation of film lovers, films like Bloodsport evoke pleasant memories of action film/fighting game marathons during our misbegotten youth. You know, wasting endless hours playing Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat and watching shitty action films. It's based on the life of Frank Dux, but you don't have to be a martial arts aficionado to know that serious creative liberties have been taken with his story. It just smells like bullshit from the getgo.

JCVD's screen persona was not fully developed yet--he resembles a choir boy on roids--and his acting is pretty terrible. Not that it was ever great, but he definitely improved over the years. Gibb, on the other hand, is hilariously bad, especially when taunting local crowds, but his performance becomes very amusing if you accept the fact that he is still playing Ogre from Revenge of The Nerds and simply forgot to adapt to his new surroundings.

The fiight scenes aren't bad, but they aren't top shelf. Most American martial arts films from the 80's suffer from this problem really, especially in retrospect. The fight choreography pales compared to similar films made in Hong Kong at the time, or even in the 70's. There is an overuse of slo-mo too, which is often laughably deployed (i.e to highlight the intensity of moves and silly facial expressions etc), but overall the fight scenes are decent for a cheapie.

Rating this is hard. It's ostensibly a bad film, but it is enjoyable, no doubt. 4.5 or 5.

Stop! Or My Mom Will Shoot: Now this is SHIT! It is often paired with Oscar because they were released shortly after each other during Sly's misguided 'comedy phase', but Oscar is actually a good film, and I'd go as far to say that it's one of Sly's best films period. Not a popular opinion at all, but I honestly think it has held up well, unlike most of his 80's and 90's films. SOMMWS, on the other hand, was bad in 1992 and it's bad now. The story behind why he accepted this role is better than the film, especially if it's true (i.e he was 'tricked' by Arnie). Overall, just shit and a terrible idea. Pairing Sly up with Getty was an even worse idea than teaming him up with Dolly Parton, and the end result is even worse than Rhinestone for sure. 2/10

Thu Dec 26, 2019 5:56 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Jay And Silent Bob Reboot.

Snootchie Bootchies! Kevin Smith has lost weight, and also the ability to make comedies, it seems. The movie tries to be all self-aware with references to remakes, reboots and other Hollywood trends but comes across like what it is, a nostalgia trip back to the Viewaskewniverse, where some of his other movies characters make an appearance because nostalgia. Both him and Jason Mewes should jack it in as it's embarrassing watching grown men try and act like they're still in their twenties. His daughter cannot act either. 1 Fist.

And can someone recommend me a good movie as I've been on a losing streak recently.

Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:31 pm
Climate Control
Climate Control

I watched Mandy last night, highly recommend it. Mental.

Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:16 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Watched 1917 the other night. It's alright. If it weren't for the 'one take' gimmick it would be rather unremarkable.

Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:15 am
Climate Control
Climate Control

The Lighthouse - brilliantly mental, looked amazing, 2 great central performances.

Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:46 am
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

This was great! That 1930's up-tempo dance music (Charleston) was probably the metal of the day.

Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:18 pm
Infant-ile
Infant-ile

I watched a movie called High Rise, didn't know it was a thing beforehand. Someone else was watching it for their university course and I was there.

I liked it, it reaches out pretty hard to let you know it is allegorical and that the imagery isn't meant to really be taken so literally. Although I think JG Ballard's books make too much for a stark reading experience, he does have a knack for making hazy, vividly dreamy worlds. I think this film does manage to translate that feeling, I liked the unusually dark shots, surreal delivery and the general absurdity. The metaphors, messages and morals were kinda fisted across (in the same way as the not dissimilar Snowpiercer), and I can see why people would criticize that, but I don't feel like it's a criticism necessarily.

I feel like they paid a lot of attention to playing out simple themes in extraordinary ways, and I reckon having jumped the chasm into making an intentionally or unapologetically impressionistic film, why not take license. Cool, enjoyed it, it played up to the kind of aesthetics that I like on a number of levels. I feel like everybody participating rose to the task pretty well, I liked the lead guy. I think it's the first time I've seen him, I thought it was the N Irish guy (ED: Michael Fassbender) at first and stood corrected. I've probably seen something with this guy here before, and been taking them two as the same person the whole time.

I knew right away that it would be a straight up audience splitter, and so it proved when I looked on that internet afterwards. I did like it, but I do get it.

Last edited by EditeditediT on Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:52 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5095 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 251, 252, 253, 254, 255  Next