www.Terrorizer.com - View topic - Film Thread VI
TERRORIZER FRONT PAGE
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:54 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4555 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 201, 202, 203, 204, 205, 206, 207 ... 228  Next
 Film Thread VI 
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Post Re: Film Thread VI
You lost me at Uwe Boll.

Sat May 06, 2017 1:38 pm
Profile WWW
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Stat_Rad wrote:
Blind Chance isn't as highly rated as his later films though.

I agree that the politics can make you feel like you are in the dark, but to me the film making just isn't as interesting as what came later.

There are plenty of films with political allusions that I don't fully get yet I otherwise appreciate.

The disadvantage that younger cinephiles like you have is that you are engaging with his legacy, as an all time great director of the medium, whereas I started watching his films when he was still alive, so my expectations weren't as high.

How old are you out of curiosity? I always assumed you were slightly older than me, but I'd have been 6 when Kieslowski died which makes me think I might be a bit off with that guess haha.

I just finished American Honey.

The run time is an interesting one as I know we discussed it in the other thread.
Around 1 hour 20 I checked the time, and then it seemed no time at all had passed and it was over. I was genuinely surprised to find 80 minutes had passed.

Sat May 06, 2017 5:17 pm
Profile WWW
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Annihislater wrote:
How old are you out of curiosity? I always assumed you were slightly older than me, but I'd have been 6 when Kieslowski died which makes me think I might be a bit off with that guess haha.

I was 17 when he died. Do the math! :D

Few people will admit this,,but a major reason why Kieslowski has the reputation he does is because of timing. European cinema was in trouble when The Three Colors films were released, and they were interpreted as big statements about contemporary Europe, so they had a ready made audience.

To put Kieslowski in the same class as Bergman, Bresson and Antonioni just seems wrong to me.

Sun May 07, 2017 1:59 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

When you say you started watching his films when he was alive, I'm assuming that's a technicality rather than as they came out then?

You'd have been 12 when Veronique came out.

Sun May 07, 2017 12:25 pm
Profile WWW
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Yes it's more of a technicality, but the point is that he was an active director when I was becoming a cinephile. He was not the Kieslowski that he is today.

I saw Blue, White and The Double Life of Veronique when I was 15. I saw Red when I was 16/17.

Sun May 07, 2017 12:35 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Last watched Pieces Of April.

Last edited by blacklorre on Mon May 08, 2017 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun May 07, 2017 6:32 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

After rereading the novel and rewatching the film, I've found that my opinion has totally changed since the early 00's: I now much prefer the book to the film. For a while I thought that Harron and the other screenwriter made the right choice in streamlining Ellis' verbose prose into something more accessible and vaguely resembling genre cinema, but now I have the complete opposite view.

Firstly, let's just get this out of the way: anyone who thinks the film captures the essence and tone of the novel clearly misunderstood it. I get that that sounds pretentious and close minded, but there is just no two ways about it in my view. The film is not really a sharp satire of 80's materialism, it's actually closer to a farce, and Bale plays a character that physically resembles Bateman but only occasionally acts like him. Am I saying that Bale doesn't really nail the character? Yes, that's correct, and I suggest to those who thinks he does to reread the novel carefully and not just focus on its most salacious and gruesome aspects.

Bale gives an amusing performance, I'll grant him that, but it's so exaggerated and over the top that it is borderline cartoonish. The Patrick Bateman of the novel is cold and estranged to the point of being an alien, observing himself from the outside with almost complete detachment. There are only two brief scenes in the film that capture his state of mind---in the opening scene in front of a mirror and at the end in a lounge--but neither Bale nor Harron translate his intense self loathing nor the depths of his depravity, which the decision to tone down the violence only partly explains.

In short, Bale plays him like a psychotic goofball with overly affected mannerisms of ambiguous origin. Sure they make him eccentric, crazy, socially awkward etc, but they also flatline the character, transforming him into a caricature. Bale's performance is very good when judged on its own, but as a portrayal of Bateman it's heavy handed and a real mixed bag.

Overall I think a more detached approach was needed here ala Kubrick. That's what the material required, but as it stands, it is an entertaining film, even if the tonal problems impact negatively on the final result. It wants to be a chilling critique, a black comedy, and a quasi-slasher film all at once, and I don't believe it fully succeeds.

Not all of Harron's decisions were bad though. Fusing the 'music essays' with kills and sex wasn't a bad idea---the Hip To Be Square murder sequence is rightly revered--and the film does move along at a lively pace, unencumbered by the longueurs of literary fiction, but it does lack a strong sense of style, and Harron simply doesn't have the talent to pull it across the finish line when it starts spinning its wheels.

6/10 as a film. 4/10 as an adaptation.

Mon May 08, 2017 10:03 am
Lifer, Deather, Hesher, Whatever.

I gave that movie a go a while ago and couldn't even finish it. Thought it was absolutely awful.

Mon May 08, 2017 1:13 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Tue May 09, 2017 11:52 am

I saw Mommie Dearest today and while I'm not doubting the story is exaggerated, it was actually damn funny at times. The more over the top than over the top acting and lines really make me crack up quite frequently.

Tue May 09, 2017 8:31 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Stat_Rad wrote:

Whoever made that movie knew fuck all about how chainsaws work. Kind of spoiled it a little for me.

I am Deth!!! Fukk You!!! 我死了!你他媽的!나는 죽음 이다! 엿 먹어 !私は死です!あなたをファック!أنا الموت! اللعنة عليك !Я - смерть! Пошел на хуй !איך בין טויט! באַרען איר!میں موت ہوں! تم بھاڑ میں جاؤ !Olen kuolema ! Haista vittu !Είμαι ο θάνατος ! Γαμήσου !Yr wyf marwolaeth ! Ffyc chi!Ek is die dood! Fok jou !मैं मृत्यु हूं! फक यू!

"Anyone who says a bad fuck is better than a good wank has obviously never had either." - my mate Anthony

Metalcore- parting morons from their money since ages ago.

Wed May 10, 2017 10:01 am
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Colin040 wrote:
I saw Mommie Dearest today and while I'm not doubting the story is exaggerated, it was actually damn funny at times. The more over the top than over the top acting and lines really make me crack up quite frequently.

This. The scene with the coathangers especially.

The Krays (1990).

Watched this for the first time in a while as I saw a documentary about them the other night, presented by Fred Dineage, no less. Anyway...

This film could have been so much better but instead it was a joke. The scene in the boxing marquee could have been better choreographed, especially as one of the judges was played by Lenny McLean. Steven Whatshisname from Beverley Hills Cop and First Blood: Part 2 looked like he was trying to get the sack with the kind of over-acting that even William Shatner would be embarrassed at. The two lads from Spandau Ballet were good, as was the lass who played the nanny in The Omen.

Two Fists.

Wed May 10, 2017 7:09 pm

Oeps, I meant to say ''while I'm not doubting the story isn't exaggerated'' instead. My bad.

I also liked the lines Christina! Christopher! Damnit! and ''Don't fuck with me fellas! :lol:

Anyone here seen this Japanese trilogy called The Human Condition? Going by the scores I might give it a go soon.

Thu May 11, 2017 8:31 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Yeah I've seen it. It's very good, but it's a lot to take in.

Thu May 11, 2017 8:32 am
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Triggmartyr wrote:
The Krays (1990).

Did you see any of the recent ones? 'Rise/Fall of The Krays' & 'Legend'?

Thu May 11, 2017 11:53 am
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

blacklorre wrote:
Triggmartyr wrote:
The Krays (1990).

Did you see any of the recent ones? 'Rise/Fall of The Krays' & 'Legend'?

I saw 'Legend' last night, which was alright. Three Fists.

Thu May 11, 2017 2:23 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

The Void (2016) 10/10
Spirited Away 10/10

Thu May 11, 2017 10:47 pm
Profile YIM
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Spirited Away. Why is that film coming up again so much? On the two movie forums I post on quite a number of people have either watched or rewatched it in the last few weeks. Heh.

Rewatch. I've probably seen this about 4-5 times, and it's one of the few films from my youth that improved with age.

A typical criticism of Rumble Fish is that it is style over substance, that the story just isn't as compelling as the style. That's probably true, but it also misses the point. Coppola set out to make an 'art film for teenagers', which is admittedly a rather odd move that was ultimately doomed to fail, but it certainly establishes from the outset that it's a film that is largely concerned with the particulars of form, with presenting a rather typical story in a highly unusual way. But the form does mesh well with the content, creating a vaguely surreal twilight world in noirish black and white with a suspended sense of time--time is a major theme--where impoverished youth grow up in a stark dilapidated environment and work out their conflicts through largely physical means. It manages to be gritty and 'poetic' at the same time, which isn't easy to pull off. It's hyper-stylized, but it still feels relatively grounded.

The acting is hit and miss. A young Matt Dillon is compelling in the lead role of Rusty James, a rebellious teenager living in the shadow of his older brother known as 'Motorcycle Boy', played by Mickey Rourke in full Brando mode. He doesn't give a great performance exactly--some of his line deliveries are outright bad--but he does capture the angst and restlessness of the character, while Rourke is tough and mysterious as his older brother. Nicholas Cage gives a fairly hammy performance though, and Diane Lane is just passable, although she looks amazing.

While it was shot in 1982, it looks like it was filmed later in the decade, and a few shots bare resemblance to films made by Spike Lee and Van Sant from the late 80's. It was definitely a little ahead of its time in that regard, anticipating the new independent movement by years, and it certainly doesn't get enough credit for it.

Overall critics and cinephiles are lazy when it comes to evaluating Coppola's work. The consensus seems to be that aside from The Godfather films, Apocalypse Now and The Conversation, there isn't much worth bothering with. Dracula has its fans, but it isn't universally regarded. Personally I feel like that his often overlooked films like Rumble Fish, Tetro, One From The Heart and The Rain People are actually representative of a particular aspect of his film making personality which is casually dismissed or plain misunderstood. No these films aren't as good as the first two Godfathers---I'd take Rumble Fish over GF3 though--but they are unique, interesting, even daring films from a director that refused to be pigeonholed.

The new Criterion blu shits all over the Eureka one too. The blacks are richer and really bring out the noirish shadowy look of the film.

4/5

Fri May 12, 2017 3:56 am

Alien: Covenant

Far too disappointed by this whole schmozzle to even muster up even a half assed review of sorts.

Misses so many opportunities and plays out like an afterthought - an added "chapter" tacked on to the end of Prometheus to stop the fan boys from whining so much.

Really there is no other reason for this film to exist other than "hey guys! Aliens!"

2 fists (just)

Sat May 13, 2017 6:31 am

Spiny Norman wrote:
You lost me at Uwe Boll.

That's what his bride said on their honeymoon.

Sat May 13, 2017 6:33 am
Reply to topic   [ 4555 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 201, 202, 203, 204, 205, 206, 207 ... 228  Next