www.Terrorizer.com - View topic - Film Thread VI
TERRORIZER FRONT PAGE
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:45 am

Reply to topic  [ 4867 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 227, 228, 229, 230, 231, 232, 233 ... 244  Next
 Film Thread VI 
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

Post Re: Film Thread VI
Having now seen The Last Jedi twice, I will put up my new rankings (still not seen Attack Of The Clones):

1) The Empire Strikes Back
2) A New Hope
3) The Last Jedi
4) Rogue One
5) The Force Awakens
6) Revenge Of The Sith
7) Return Of The Jedi
8) The Phantom Menace

Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:00 am
Climate Control
Climate Control

Never heard of the second one.

I'd put Rogue One above both of the new 'episodes' (and I'd switch their order), and even with the fucking Ewoks Return Of The Jedi is obviously superior to all of the prequels.

Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:10 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Spiny Norman wrote:
Stat_Rad wrote:
Looks like oscar bait bullshit to me.

Nope.
Making domestic abuse funny, regular breaking of the fourth wall, basically saying not to believe any of the accounts, and at one point actually berating its own audience. Not your usual Oscar bait bio.

I've also heard it's wannabe Scorsese in terms of style.

Margot Robbie can actually act eh? Well I'll be damned!

Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:21 am
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

Solaris wrote:

I'd put Rogue One above both of the new 'episodes' (and I'd switch their order), and even with the fucking Ewoks Return Of The Jedi is obviously superior to all of the prequels.

Without the Ewoks Return of the Jedi would be between about at Rogue One level, but they drag it down so much.

Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:28 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Jedi is far better than Rogue One, dont be silly. There is nothing memorable in Rogue. Jedi has some excellent set pieces.

Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:48 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Cosmic Equilibrium wrote:
Solaris wrote:

Without the Ewoks Return of the Jedi would be between about at Rogue One level, but they drag it down so much.

The original concept was to use Wookies. I loved the Ewoks when the film originally came out but looking at it now the Ewoks are completely ludicrous and make a mockery of stormtroopers.

Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:31 am
Profile WWW
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Stat_Rad wrote:
Jedi is far better than Rogue One, dont be silly. There is nothing memorable in Rogue. Jedi has some excellent set pieces.

Jabba's Palace opening section is second only to the AT-AT scene in Empire IMO.

Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:32 am
Profile WWW
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Stat_Rad wrote:
I've also heard it's wannabe Scorsese in terms of style.

Margot Robbie can actually act eh? Well I'll be damned!

The main comparisons to Scorsese would be the 4th wall stuff, and the soundtrack which consists solely of songs, with no actual score to speak of.

Watched Kingsman - Golden Circle, and The Disaster Artist last night.

Kingsman (3.5 Fists) was much like the first - stupid, gory James Bond stuff, but with added Elton John, and The Disaster Artist (5 Fists) was fantastic. James Franco plays Tommy Wiseau perfectly. Not a piss-take or a send up, but a genuinely respectful portrayal of a very weird person. Franco's brother, Dave, does a pretty good job of playing Greg Sestero too. Acting seriously, and then acting how to act badly can't be easy. The scene comparisons to The Room at the end were done brilliantly, and the post-credits scene was great fun.

Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:47 am
Profile WWW
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Oh, and...

Star Wars
Empire
Return
Rogue
Force
Last
Sith
Clones
Menace

Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:53 am
Profile WWW
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Spiny Norman wrote:
Oh, and...

Star Wars
Empire

Correct. I came around on this back in 2013 when I revisited the original trilogy. Yes Empire has more 'story' and 'complexity', but Star Wars is really a near perfect sugar rush of a film.

Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:17 am
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Termoid wrote:

The original concept was to use Wookies. I loved the Ewoks when the film originally came out but looking at it now the Ewoks are completely ludicrous and make a mockery of stormtroopers.

So did the blind guy with a stick in Rogue One.

Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:43 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Triggmartyr wrote:
Termoid wrote:

So did the blind guy with a stick in Rogue One.

Ruined the film completely.

Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:45 pm
Profile WWW
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

The Disaster Artist: The modern Ed Wood? Nah! Decent but very overrated. It glosses over some of the darker aspects of Wiseau and his relationship to Sestero to create a simple tribute to misguided ambition and pursuing one's dreams. Unfortunately it does that in a pretty unremarkable way. It's entertaining, but I can't see it holding up over time. 3/5

Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:20 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Stat_Rad wrote:
The Disaster Artist: The modern Ed Wood? Nah! Decent but very overrated. It glosses over some of the darker aspects of Wiseau and his relationship to Sestero to create a simple tribute to misguided ambition and pursuing one's dreams. Unfortunately it does that in a pretty unremarkable way. It's entertaining, but I can't see it holding up over time. 3/5

I agree with that it glosses over (or outright forgoes) a lot of the more interesting aspects of book. Came off as a typical 'overcoming the odds' story, but with weirder characters. It didn't really dig all that deep into the complexity of Wiseau's personality. But apart from that it was an entertaining film. God damn it, I'm one of those 'the book was better than the film' types!

Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:21 pm
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

I just saw Valerie and Her Week of Wonders. it's such a bizarre Czech fantasy film about death, religion and erotica - there's some gothic horror scenes appearing from time to time which made me think of Panna a netvor (which is also a Czech film) while the somewhat erotic/vague scenes made me think of Possession from 1981. Not sure what to make of this one so far as the plot doesn't seem to make a lot of sense at first, but at the same time there's something odd about the plot and all that I'd like to give it another go later on.

Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:06 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

3/5

OK, I hate superhero movies, but figured this would be OK because it takes the piss out of superhero movies. It does, but also takes itself too seriously. Loved the OTT comedy violence. Loved the stupid jokes. Loved Colossus and Negasonic Teenage Warhead (recognised the name instantly). Take it or leave it for pretty much everything else, which is why I don't watch superhero movies. The first third and final third were great, for the above reasons. The middle third, explaining how Deadpool became Deadpool sucked.

I am Deth!!! Fukk You!!! 我死了!你他媽的!나는 죽음 이다! 엿 먹어 !私は死です!あなたをファック!أنا الموت! اللعنة عليك !Я - смерть! Пошел на хуй !איך בין טויט! באַרען איר!میں موت ہوں! تم بھاڑ میں جاؤ !Olen kuolema ! Haista vittu !Είμαι ο θάνατος ! Γαμήσου !Yr wyf marwolaeth ! Ffyc chi!Ek is die dood! Fok jou !मैं मृत्यु हूं! फक यू!

"Anyone who says a bad fuck is better than a good wank has obviously never had either." - my mate Anthony

Metalcore- parting morons from their money since ages ago.

Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:36 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Colin040 wrote:
I just saw Valerie and Her Week of Wonders. it's such a bizarre Czech fantasy film about death, religion and erotica - there's some gothic horror scenes appearing from time to time which made me think of Panna a netvor (which is also a Czech film) while the somewhat erotic/vague scenes made me think of Possession from 1981. Not sure what to make of this one so far as the plot doesn't seem to make a lot of sense at first, but at the same time there's something odd about the plot and all that I'd like to give it another go later on.

Watch The Cremator. Im going to post my review soon. Great film. It is pitch black comedy meets psychological horror.

The Czechs made so many great films in the 60s.

Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:49 am
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

Stat_Rad wrote:

Watch The Cremator. Im going to post my review soon. Great film. It is pitch black comedy meets psychological horror.

The Czechs made so many great films in the 60s.

I actually stumbled upon that movie on IMDb yesterday and added it to my movie list.

Have you ever seen Sedmikrásky/Daisies from 1966? I'll give it a go later, too, as I'm expecting another weird tale of this one.

Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:08 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

I've seen it. It's definitely good, but I wasn't crazy about it.

Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:57 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Space Truckers: hahahahaha. Yes! 3.5/5. Fuck off critics and clueless genre nerds. Go and enjoy the new Star Wars and other self important shite. I'll take this any day. This is real B movie spirit. Ditto Fortress which I recently revisited. Also 3.5.

I miss Stuart Gordon.

Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:12 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4867 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 227, 228, 229, 230, 231, 232, 233 ... 244  Next