www.Terrorizer.com - View topic - Film Thread VI
TERRORIZER FRONT PAGE
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:30 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5060 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 253  Next
 Film Thread VI 
Climate Control
Climate Control

Post Re: Film Thread Episode VI: Return Of The Film Thread
I need to look again.

Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:54 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Yeah, a quick scan of Amazon shows it quite available on DVD and Blu Ray, and both at a very reasonable price.

Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:54 pm
Profile WWW
Climate Control
Climate Control

Yeah, I just did the same. Faraway, So Close is another matter, however.

Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:08 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Pretty sure I saw one for £60 odd quid. You might be onto something with that one :p

Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:11 pm
Profile WWW
Climate Control
Climate Control

I might have found a German release for £8+, actually. If so, wahey!

Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:13 pm
Climate Control
Climate Control

Solaris wrote:
I might have found a German release for £8+, actually. If so, wahey!

Does the coffee table come with it free?

Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:18 am
Climate Control
Climate Control

Urf?

I watched A Walk Among The Tombstones the other night. Liam Neeson PI film. Women are being kidnepped, held for ransom, then killed anyway when it's paid, ex-cop Neeson is hired by a husband to track down the killers. Pretty damn good, I'd sooner see more of these made (there are 17 books in the series, so far) than more Taken films.

Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:18 am
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

The impression I got was that it was essentially a Taken ripoff, depsite plot differences?

Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:10 am
Climate Control
Climate Control

Not at all. He's more of a traditional gumshoe, suspicious of technology ( it's set in 1999, and the Y2K scare is mentioned occasionally), doesn't carry a gun, takes a beating, etc. In fact, it kind of goes out of its way to present him as being a different character, up to a point. There is a threats-down-the-phone scene, however.

Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:04 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

I rewatched Inside Man last week, it doesn't get mentioned alongside things Do The Right Thing and 25th Hour when people talk about Spike Lee but it achieves everything it sets out to do really well. The sort of really entertaining mid-range budget film that are scarce these days.

It has also has the wonderful line of Christopher Plummer saying to Jodie Foster "you are a magnificent....cunt!"

4.5/5

http://letterboxd.com/cynical_boner/

Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:58 pm
Climate Control
Climate Control

Not a bad film, but Clive Owen irritates me. As does Denzel Washington, on occasion, but he was OK in that.

Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:42 pm
Climate Control
Climate Control

I like denzel as he's gotten older, I couldn't stand him for years.

Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:16 pm
Lifer, Deather, Hesher, Whatever.
Lifer, Deather, Hesher, Whatever.

Solaris wrote:
There is a threats-down-the-phone scene, however.

I know it's probably done in a very self-aware and deliberate manner (and I've not seen the film) but it really annoys me that they've done that. I don't even think it's a particularly good scene in Taken, every time I've watched it I've always thought it just looks like Neeson's picking up the pay check, yet so much of his popularity rides off the back of it. It's obvious they've done it because they know that the majority of people (not including you in this Sol) who enjoy the film are gonna be people who enjoyed Taken, which I guess isn't a particularly bad thing. It just irks me.

Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:17 pm
Climate Control
Climate Control

Solaris wrote:
Testify, brother Wretch.

Watched The Equaliser last night. It was alright, actually. About what you'd expect with Denzel Washington essentially playing the same character as in Man On Fire. Worth a look.

I watched this recently, and enjoyed it.

Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:23 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

xBroskix wrote:
I rewatched Inside Man last week, it doesn't get mentioned alongside things Do The Right Thing and 25th Hour when people talk about Spike Lee but it achieves everything it sets out to do really well. The sort of really entertaining mid-range budget film that are scarce these days.

It has also has the wonderful line of Christopher Plummer saying to Jodie Foster "you are a magnificent....cunt!"

4.5/5

really?

I recall thinking it was a 3 to 3.5 at best.

Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:35 am
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Re-Animator, quite enjoyed it. 3 fists

Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:01 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Wrong. It's easily a 4 fister!

Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:53 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Whilst looking at what's on at the Cornerhouses closing down/relocating season, me and my mate have decided to try and get to showings of Wings of Desire (as mentioned), Vampyr, Apocalypse Now, Belle de Jour, Blue Velvet, as well as hopefully fitting in Mommy around one of them. I think it's a good job overtime is on at work at the moment haha.

Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:18 pm
Profile WWW
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Kraftidioten
(aka In Order of Disappearance)

A snow plough driver's son is kidnapped by drug dealers along with another boy and given a lethal overdose. After identifying the body of his son, the man, Nils (Stellan Skarsgård), is told by the police that his son was obviously an addict and there's nothing they are prepared to do regarding any possible investigation. Grief stricken, with his distraught wife now completely ignoring his existence, he takes himself off to his workshop to kill himself.
While in there, he comes across the other boy kidnapped with his son that night, who managed to escape. The severely beaten teenager tells Nils his son was innocent and who killed him.

From then on, Nils goes all Charles Bronson and begins taking out the bad guys one at a time until he gets to the man who actually gave the order - a drug baron called The Count. The problem is, that while his people are being killed, The Count mistakenly believes the perpetrators to be a rival gang of Serbian drug dealers. Led by an old man called Papa (Bruno Ganz from Downfall - you know the film which all those "Hitler Reacts To..." Youtube videos come from), the two gangs share an uneasy alliance but when The Count kills Papa's own son, the violence escalates.
Nils, after getting his brother involved with predictably farcical results, and completely oblivious to this sudden outburst of gang warfare, continues with his plan and decides to kidnap The Count's young son. Unfortunately, the Serbians are planning the same thing.

A darkly comical scandinavian revenge thriller, Kraftidioten (literal translation: The Prize Idiot) is as funny as it is brutally violent and carries all the hallmarks of a film by the Coens. There are some great performances and no shortage of quirky characters. From the policemen with weak stomachs to the two gay gangsters, and the Chinese/Danish hitman, every character is memorable and well written.
But like most comical thrillers, there's also a darker, much more tragic edge to it, and the moment Nils opens an envelope from his wife which he thinks contains a goodbye note, is one of the most perfect, but also saddest moments of the film.

If you want something fast paced and action packed then this is not the film for you. The violence is short, sharp and shocking, but most of the time it's happier telling a story of escalating farce at its own pace. Even the end credits are worth watching.

"Tell my wife... tell her... she's a c**t".

4 Fists

Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:22 pm
Profile WWW
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Stat_Rad wrote:
xBroskix wrote:

4.5/5

I'm a bit more liberal than you with ratings :D it's in now way a masterpiece but it does what it sets out to do and I just find it ridiculously entertaining.

really?

I recall thinking it was a 3 to 3.5 at best.

http://letterboxd.com/cynical_boner/

Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:02 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5060 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 253  Next