www.Terrorizer.com - View topic - Film Thread VI
TERRORIZER FRONT PAGE
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:34 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5059 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 249, 250, 251, 252, 253
 Film Thread VI 
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Post Re: Film Thread VI
Anybody seen Rocket Man? :?:

Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:35 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

I've got Flesh And Blood on now.

Ronald Lacey is using his Bishop Of Bath And Wells voice...

Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:57 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

blacklorre wrote:

No. Not interested. Looks too sanitized.

The Man Who Killed Don Quixote: Gilliam, it's time to retire. You had a good run, but this film really wasn't worth pursuing the ends of the earth for. Goodbye, and thanks for the memories. 4.5/10

Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:31 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Rocketman is well worth a watch. More like a full blown musical, but doesn't play anywhere near as fast and loose with the truth like Bohemian Rhapsosy.

Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:09 am
Profile WWW
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Stat_Rad wrote:
blacklorre wrote:

No. Not interested. Looks too sanitized.

The Man Who Killed Don Quixote: Gilliam, it's time to retire. You had a good run, but this film really wasn't worth pursuing the ends of the earth for. Goodbye, and thanks for the memories. 4.5/10

I saw Rocket Man. Fucking shite.

Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:48 pm
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

Could be interesting!

Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:31 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Robocop 2: Decent first act, lousy middle act and good third act. The script is a mess and I.K's direction is pretty standard. Has its moments, but not enough of them. 5 or 5.5/10.

Robocop 3: Better than 2. Yes, you read that correctly. Reasons: 1)it is more interesting visually. This film has a reputation for looking cheap, but that is due to the effects. The camera angles, transitions and editing are far superior to 2. 2)it works as a big dumb comic book action film in its better moments, whereas 2 is overextended and loses momentum.

The acting is probably worse though, and Burke is only an adequate replacement for Weller at best, but i think overall, this film gets a really bum deal. Its only crime is its lighter tone. 5.5 or 6/10.

Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:45 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Hellboy (2019): NO! Shitty makeup, tacked on rock score, fake attitude, poor CGI, bad jokes etc. The list goes on. It's gory and there are a few passable action sequences, but overall it's a chronically underfunded, ugly and overlong film that isn't a patch on Del Toro's ones, nor does it work on its own terms. 3.5 to 4/10

Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:14 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

MIDSOMMAR
(2019)

I'm afraid I did not share the widely held opinion that director Ari Aster's much hyped debut, Hereditary, was "the best horror film in ages" or whatever. Great atmosphere, but very little content, a poor final act, and some hilarious overacting by Toni Collette just left me wondering what all the fuss was about. So when I heard virtually the same exact things being said about Aster's follow-up, Midsommar, I was already less than convinced. Well, it's great. Actually, it's better than great. It's probably my favourite film of the year.

I've heard the criticisms - and do agree to some point - that in many ways it's merely a modern reworking of *another famous horror film*, but the fact is I really don't care. Although the themes may be similar, the execution is completely different, and there's so much more going on than just imitating a classic.

I don't want to give too much away, but the story involves a group of students travelling to Sweden to visit a commune where one of them grew up. A benign religious order, the followers worship the earth and nature, but also have some quite peculiar pagan traditions. As the nine day Midsummer Solstice festival begins, the students find themselves becoming more involved in each ceremony, witnessing some strange practices along the way, and eventually joining in with some of the rituals themselves.

For a film set against bright blue skies and trees, with flowers and broad, happy smiles in abundance, Midsommar is an unbelievably tense and oppressive experience. Right from the distressing opening scenes, there's a lurking sense of dread that something bad is going to happen but there's nothing anyone can do about it.

Helplessness, isolation and rebirth are recurring themes, and Aster realises them impeccably. From a smile or a brief glance, subtle changes in colour or sound, to the increasing sense of distrust and panic, the tension builds at a constant, unnerving rate. Interspersed with some truly shocking moments, the atmosphere shifts and shimmers like the magic mushroom-induced flora and fauna in the background, the final act disturbing, hideous, and yet beautiful all at the same time.

Choosing not to see this film at the cinema based on my disappointment with Hereditary (come at me) will certainly be my biggest movie-related regret of the year, and now I can only hope one of my local cinemas decides to show it again at some point.

5 Fists

*Awaits Stat to tell me why I'm completely wrong* :mrgreen:

Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:58 am
Profile WWW
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

It's on the list mate. When I see it, you'll hear about it :D

Still haven't seen Hereditary.

Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:39 am
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Hereditary was fucking shit. I'm looking forward to this though, cos Flo Pugh is in it. Does she get her kit off?

Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:41 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Cuchulainn wrote:
Hereditary was fucking shit. I'm looking forward to this though, cos Flo Pugh is in it. Does she get her kit off?

There are lots of tits in the film.
None of them are owned by her.

Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:44 pm
Profile WWW
NoVice
NoVice

I kind of liked Hereditary. I like films like that. But objectively speaking, it's nothing special indeed.

Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:39 am
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Spiny Norman wrote:
Cuchulainn wrote:

There are lots of tits in the film.
None of them are owned by her.

Well fuck that.

Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:11 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

3 From Hell.

Typical Rob Zombie fare. Nothing to see and hear other than Bill Moseley saying the odd cool thing, Sid Haig giving his last performance and his replacement (who was the main killer in 31) looking like he was added at the last minute (funny that) and Sherri Moon Zombie acting abysmally, even by her standards which are lower than a snakes nutsack. There is also the atypical 70's kitsch imagery - despite being set ten years after the events of Devil's Rejects - as well as some Tex-Mex imagery that looks like it was lifted from the dumpster of Robert Rodriguez. There's the odd cool bit here and there, but nothing to dispel the theory that Rob Zombie hasn't created anything decent since Astrocreep 2000.

Fists: Fuck it, I can't be arsed. It is what it is. If you're an RZ fanperson, you'll enjoy it.

Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:07 am
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

blacklorre wrote:

I got confused for a sec and was thinking of this:

Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:10 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

^^That's a good one! Better than Marvel shit!

Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:24 pm
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

Yesterday I gave Carrington from 1995 a chance again. It's alright, I liked the tragic ending, but some scenes appeared a bit randomly and too shortly.

Next to re-watch: Johnny Got his Gun from 1971.

Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:33 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Stat_Rad wrote:
^^That's a good one! Better than Marvel shit!

This.

Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:45 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5059 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 249, 250, 251, 252, 253