www.Terrorizer.com - View topic - Film Thread VI
TERRORIZER FRONT PAGE
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:40 am

Reply to topic  [ 5068 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 254  Next
 Film Thread VI 
Lifer, Deather, Hesher, Whatever.
Lifer, Deather, Hesher, Whatever.

Post Re: Film Thread Episode VI: Return Of The Film Thread
Inside man is ace. loved the indian tune in the beginning (chahiya chahiya something?)

Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:19 am
Climate Control
Climate Control

Spiny Norman wrote:
Kraftidioten
(aka In Order of Disappearance)

A snow plough driver's son is kidnapped by drug dealers along with another boy and given a lethal overdose. After identifying the body of his son, the man, Nils (Stellan Skarsgård), is told by the police that his son was obviously an addict and there's nothing they are prepared to do regarding any possible investigation. Grief stricken, with his distraught wife now completely ignoring his existence, he takes himself off to his workshop to kill himself.
While in there, he comes across the other boy kidnapped with his son that night, who managed to escape. The severely beaten teenager tells Nils his son was innocent and who killed him.

From then on, Nils goes all Charles Bronson and begins taking out the bad guys one at a time until he gets to the man who actually gave the order - a drug baron called The Count. The problem is, that while his people are being killed, The Count mistakenly believes the perpetrators to be a rival gang of Serbian drug dealers. Led by an old man called Papa (Bruno Ganz from Downfall - you know the film which all those "Hitler Reacts To..." Youtube videos come from), the two gangs share an uneasy alliance but when The Count kills Papa's own son, the violence escalates.
Nils, after getting his brother involved with predictably farcical results, and completely oblivious to this sudden outburst of gang warfare, continues with his plan and decides to kidnap The Count's young son. Unfortunately, the Serbians are planning the same thing.

A darkly comical scandinavian revenge thriller, Kraftidioten (literal translation: The Prize Idiot) is as funny as it is brutally violent and carries all the hallmarks of a film by the Coens. There are some great performances and no shortage of quirky characters. From the policemen with weak stomachs to the two gay gangsters, and the Chinese/Danish hitman, every character is memorable and well written.
But like most comical thrillers, there's also a darker, much more tragic edge to it, and the moment Nils opens an envelope from his wife which he thinks contains a goodbye note, is one of the most perfect, but also saddest moments of the film.

If you want something fast paced and action packed then this is not the film for you. The violence is short, sharp and shocking, but most of the time it's happier telling a story of escalating farce at its own pace. Even the end credits are worth watching.

"Tell my wife... tell her... she's a c**t".

4 Fists

I've been looking forward to that one, I'm glad to hear it's turned out to be decent.

Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:56 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Eureka are releasing Paper Moon in the U.K in May. Great film!

Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:00 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Stat_Rad wrote:
Eureka are releasing Paper Moon in the U.K in May. Great film!

I've had this on R1 DVD for years. I love the movie but I doubt I'll buy it again.

Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:03 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

I have the R1 dvd too.

I'll upgrade if the transfer is a big improvement on the dvd.

Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:10 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Van Damme reunited with Peter Hyams for their first film together since Sudden Death in 1995. Their first film was Timecop(1994), which is regarded as one of Van Damme's best films for good reason. Unfortunately, Enemies Closer isn't really up to the same level of quality. Not that those two films were classics by any stretch, but it lacks the scope and ambition of Timecop and the spectacle of Sudden Death, which was ostensibly Die-Hard-in-an-ice-hockey-stadium and was kind of a disappointment in the mid 90's following Timecop.

Working on a tight budget, Hyams has delivered a reasonably watchable DTV action film, but you can just tell that, unlike his son,who directed the last two Universal Soldier films, he isn't totally comfortable working in 'low rent' mode. Like many of Hyams' previous films, the cinematography is quite 'dark'--think Relic and End Of Days--but it's bereft of any kind of style. It simply looks underlit at times and overlit at others. Perhaps he didn't have time to set up the shots properly and isn't used to working fast, but either way, the film seems almost amateurish in its worst moments.

Thankfully he still knows how to tell a story quite economically, and Enemies Closer wastes no time cutting to the chase and runs at a briskly paced 82 minutes. The acting and dialogue is pretty piss poor across the board, but Van Damme's strange performance as a pathological drug dealing bad guy with environmental leanings is a hoot really and definitely worth the price of admission for fans.

The action scenes are fairly routine and the film is quite undistinguished on the whole, but it's more watchable than most DTV crap i've seen lately.

5/10

Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:27 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Some movies are too long, Inherant Vice was the most boring at over 2H, then The Policeman's Wife at 3H, Boyhood was good though at over 2H. Just got Serena (only cos Jennifer Lawrence is in it.) Other films I enjoyed were Wakolda & Keeper Of Lost Causes. I enjoyed Enemies Closer much more than The Equalizer.

Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:15 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Serena was one of the most disappointing films for me last year.

In terms of long films, I don't think I fully appreciated how long some of the Fritz Lang films I've been getting have been, both Dr Mabuse the Gambler and Die Nibelungen are 4 hours and 40 minutes.

Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:15 pm
Profile WWW
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Wings of Desire really stuck a chord with me. I liked it a lot. My mate less so.

Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:09 pm
Profile WWW
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Through The Never.

I'm guessing this has already been mentioned ad infinitum on here so all I'm gonna say is that I found it to be rather good. Not so much the live show as Lars' sloppy drumming, Hetfield'd vocal tics (WOO-YEYUUURRRHHH!!!) and Trujillo's gurning crab act were a bit of a drag, but the trippy sequences were rather well done I thought. It probably tried to be cleverer than it was but it was entertaining.

Four Fists (Three for the whole package and one extra fist for playing 'Orion').

Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:49 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Just watched this, didnt know Kiera Knightly can sing! I recommend!

Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:16 am
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

The poster is just a blatant copy of the Once one. Think I'll stay clear.

Watched 3 Lugosi/Karloff films, Murders in the Rue Morgue, Invisible Ray and Black Friday. All watchable enough films, but not their best work.

Watched the Third Man. Fuckin brilliant film. Weird seeing a young attractive Alida Valli and not as an older witch.

Also some Bronson. Cold Sweat and 10 to Midnight. Some of the acting in 10 to Midnight is hilariously brutal.

Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:42 pm
Climate Control
Climate Control

WATP wrote:
The poster is just a blatant copy of the Once one. Think I'll stay clear.

Isn't it essentially a lazy remake? Once was great, nothing I've seen or heard from this film suggests that it'd be remotely watchable...

Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:34 am
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Nae idea, I quite liked Once, not interested in an Kiera Knightly version

Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:17 am
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

I've only heard Nightwish 'Once'! Have 3 films to watch, Assassin with DD, Salvo & re-release of Midnight Run.

Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:28 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Saw Vampyr and Suite Francis in the cinema today
I thought I'd love the former and be indifferent to the latter.

As it turned out suite Francis was decent and Vampyr left me feeling a little disappointed at the complete indifference I felt throughout.

Edit: also got round to Grandview USA yesterdays after years of waiting. That was a bit of a let down too.

Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:43 am
Profile WWW
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

I like Vampyr, but is nowhere near Dreyer's best film

Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:22 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Clerks 2: very underrated. Some crap, but plenty of great scenes too. 3.5/5

Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:21 am
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

This is one of those documentaries that will change the way you think about life. Highly recommended.

Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:21 am
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

WATP wrote:
Watched the Third Man. Fuckin brilliant film. Weird seeing a young attractive Alida Valli and not as an older witch.

I love that film. It's always interesting to see how light and shadow is used back in the B&W days, and 'The Third Man' uses it great, plus there is that great out-the-window shot which just blows my mind they could do that in the late 40s and it not look really lame. Add Welles being a boss, and a gripping story line, you got a 5 fist classic!

Stat_Rad wrote:
Clerks 2: very underrated. Some crap, but plenty of great scenes too. 3.5/5

It's certainly not a patch on the first 'Clerks', and I was a bit apprehensive going in, but it is a nice wrap up to the View Askewniverse, certainly a lot better than 'Jay & Silent Bob...'.

Last night was my first watch of 'Boyhood'. I've been meaning to check it out since I first heard about it at the Sydney Film Festival - I think it may have sold out or a conflicting screening with something else I saw, I'm not sure - and I did enjoy it. I suppose it is archetypal Linklater, in that there is no real distinct narrative, just a string of events. Obviously the concept is a bit novel, and sometimes it does feel a bit like you are watching an experiment more than a fully fleshed film, but I did enjoy it, mainly due to the relatable, 'universal themes' in it. I will say that it surprised me that Arquette won Supporting Actor for that. Good performance, just not great I guess. Hawke had the more show stealing scenes for mine.

Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:43 am
Reply to topic   [ 5068 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 254  Next