www.Terrorizer.com - View topic - Rise of the Machines..
TERRORIZER FRONT PAGE
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:23 pm

Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Rise of the Machines.. 
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Post Re: Rise of the Machines..
When all jobs are mechanised who will be able to buy the products?

Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:37 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Cosmic Equilibrium wrote:
I personally think that it's inevitable the future will feature more automation and there simply won't be enough jobs to go round in the conventional sense. It will be like pouring a gallon into a pint pot. Our whole concept of work and consequently society's/the world's structure will have to be re-thought.

I'd speculate and muse a bit more on this, but I haven't got the energy to do so.

The thing is, this concept is fucked up because other countries won't be in the same place... all this supposed automation will take place in the US and Europe, but what about African countries. Are they really going to jump from ploughing with oxon to an automated society?

I don't quite get this 'post-consumerist' society idea either. How on earth is that ever going to come about? There are still seemingly going to be jobs which require humans to do them, so where is the incentive for people if society becomes some kind of recreational Communism?

Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:47 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

oneleggedpunk wrote:

A point that's already been made, but exactly.

When everyone is skint, who will queue outside Apple stores to buy a new phone that's the same as the old one but 0.1mm thinner?

Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:55 pm
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

I don't see automation leading automatically to post-consumerism at all. Automation fits very well with Capitalism.

Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:57 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Mali wrote:
The thing is, this concept is fucked up because other countries won't be in the same place... all this supposed automation will take place in the US and Europe, but what about African countries. Are they really going to jump from ploughing with oxon to an automated society?

Neither the West nor the affluent East give a damn about Africa. Africa has been trailing behind seemingly forever now.

Mali wrote:
I don't quite get this 'post-consumerist' society idea either. How on earth is that ever going to come about? There are still seemingly going to be jobs which require humans to do them, so where is the incentive for people if society becomes some kind of recreational Communism?

What I see happening is that people who are unemployed will be paid a basic sustenance wage. There will be an even bigger gap between the haves and have nots. The gap has grown considerably over the last few decades and will continue to grow. Automation is just the next step to increase profit. The 'human factor' does not concern them much because the whole point of automation is to ultimately displace humans.

You absolutely cannot have a thriving consumer economy with a large number of unemployed people so things will definitely have to change.

Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:18 am
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

FeedMeVibration wrote:
oneleggedpunk wrote:

Nevermind that - who'll buy the Fear Factory records?

Same as now- no one.

I am Deth!!! Fukk You!!! 我死了!你他媽的!나는 죽음 이다! 엿 먹어 !私は死です!あなたをファック!أنا الموت! اللعنة عليك !Я - смерть! Пошел на хуй !איך בין טויט! באַרען איר!میں موت ہوں! تم بھاڑ میں جاؤ !Olen kuolema ! Haista vittu !Είμαι ο θάνατος ! Γαμήσου !Yr wyf marwolaeth ! Ffyc chi!Ek is die dood! Fok jou !मैं मृत्यु हूं! फक यू!

"Anyone who says a bad fuck is better than a good wank has obviously never had either." - my mate Anthony

Metalcore- parting morons from their money since ages ago.

Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:34 am
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

More and more crap in the media about autonomous vehicles in the media. Now were told that you can read a book or play on your phone or laptop while the car drives itself. But then you're also supposed to be ready to take over from the car if it fucks up...???

And apparently the car can't drive itself in the snow either because it can't see the white lines.

Either this stuff is a lot further away than they are making out, or there's gonna be some huge problems occurring.

So what happens if the car is heading towards a bus queue and the driver takes back control and the car still smashes into the bus queue and kills someone, who is to blame for that?

Also, how will the police know if a car is being driven autonomously? I mean apart from the motorway where it will be self evident, they will be the ones crawling along at 70mph on the inside lane.

I think they should have a big fuck off light on the roof that flashes to let other people know.

Or perhaps a giant plastic cock that lights up... anything to make the owners seem less cool really.

I can see a kind of 'advanced' cruise control working, but all this stuff about calling your car when you get to an airport. That's a brilliant idea, what airports really need is a load of cars driving themselves into the car park. Isn't that brilliant? Who would benefit most from a system which would allow an empty car to drive into a secure area? Hmm...

I saw a video of a guy driving round a track and avoiding some cones but he actually said, these roadworks have been updated on the cars wifi map. So it didn't actually react to it, it relied on wifi. They are going to have to do a LOT better than that for fucks sake. How many roads in the UK don't even have a signal?

I would like to see a video where someone drives a car (or walks) in front of one of these things. Or better yet, bring one to my work and let it try and get out of the T-Junction that I have to get out of every day. Dual carriageway both ways and stupid pedestrians all over the bloody place. Bring it on Google, Apple etc... it'll be a fucking joke.

Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:52 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

I'd imagine that it's much further away than the media is making it out to be. It is an exciting prospect, naturally, so it's easy to talk up. But the practicality of it at this stage is highly questionable, so there is still a long way to go yet.

"Grishknackh was a man of contradiction... filled with dishonour. Once he said himself to be an elf, I look upon him as a cowardly squealing orc!"
- Mortiis, 1995
In all honesty I rate Killers below Virtual XI.

Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:52 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

I see Google wants the Yanks to get rid of the proviso that autonomous vehicles must be driven/overseen by qualified drivers. They say that vehicles without steering wheels would be safer. I tend to agree that they will be safer, largely because I can see (very cautious) people panicking when a car pulls out of a junction and slamming the brakes on and getting hit.

But I don't think people will want to buy a car that they can't drive when the car gets lost or doesn't know where it's going. Or when it can't see the road because it's snowing/raining etc...

Also, I just don't see that people tend to drive the way Google thinks. We tend to nip down side streets when we see traffic ahead or try a different way if we want to look at something, the idea of just making journeys where you have to input the destination seems a bit mental to me. Like what if I just want to nip down the road really quick before a shop shuts, I don't want to be faffing about putting in a post code.
Also, I can't imagine the car wanting to park where you want it to park either, if you know what I mean. Will the car find the nearest car park or will it pull up on a kerb?
Just thinking about where I work if both parking spaces are full will it park on the grass?
Will it ignore the clamping notices and park on next door's space? Or will it drive 2 miles and park in a multi storey?
And if it hasn't got a steering wheel how can I make it park where I want it to?
This whole thing has got balls up written all over it, if they were starting from scratch with a road system this could work but as it is... I mean how many times do people tell you 'the postcode won't bring you here, you have to do something else'?
That's why I think they could work with a steering wheel, because practicality requires it, but I can see the point that it would be safer without.
Maybe if they made it so that you couldn't override it immediately, but you could switch it with a countdown or something?

The more I read about this the more farcical this whole idea sounds. I can foresee a major push to get these on the roads and then Apple/Google suffering a major financial meltdown when it all goes tits up.

Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:50 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

The latest stupid idea is that because of uber style apps and driverless cars we wont own cars we will just 'summon' one when we need it.

Oh really.

Good luck summoning a car at 7:30 in the morning when everyone else is trying to do the same.

Do these people pull these ideas out of their arse or what?

Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:46 am
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

:lol: Fuck's sake. I'll opt for my own one, thanks. I need a place to put my CDs.

"Grishknackh was a man of contradiction... filled with dishonour. Once he said himself to be an elf, I look upon him as a cowardly squealing orc!"
- Mortiis, 1995
In all honesty I rate Killers below Virtual XI.

Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:08 am
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Vim Fuego wrote:
FeedMeVibration wrote:
oneleggedpunk wrote:

Nevermind that - who'll buy the Fear Factory records?

Same as now- no one.

I would.

Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:42 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

So someone has died at the hands of a Tesla. Speculation he was watching a movie at the time, even though Tesla say the driver should keep hands on the wheel and not abdicate responsibility to the vehicle.
The problem here seems to me that it's no good saying to someone this car is going to drive itself, but you must keep your hands on the wheel because who the fuck is going to do that?
The whole idea is that the car drives itself and that's how this whole thing is being sold to us. The fact that the car cannot actually do that as yet is not the point.
Say you had a two hour drive, how long would you actually keep your hands on the wheel?
Then there's the boredom factor. If you don't feel involved your mind starts to wander, and from there it's a short step to checking your phone, reading a paper...
There's also the feeling that you've paid for a car that drives itself, I shouldn't have to babysit it as well.

Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:56 am
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:43 am
Reply to topic   [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2