www.Terrorizer.com - View topic - Favo(u)rite and Least Favo(u)rite cities
TERRORIZER FRONT PAGE
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:36 pm

Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Favo(u)rite and Least Favo(u)rite cities 
Lifer, Deather, Hesher, Whatever.

Post Favo(u)rite and Least Favo(u)rite cities
I'm an avid traveler and exploring different places/cultures is something I actively pursue whenever I get the opportunity. In your travels, what are some of the best locations you have discovered?

A top 3 for me:

1, NYC - well, it's home, and ridiculously expensive, dirty, and crime ridden. But the food scene is unparalleled, it is exceptionally diverse and cultured, has amazing energy and 24/7 pulse, and is relatively historic (for a new world city - I know it pales in comparison with Europe, Asia, etc.)

2, London - NYC's twin sister across the pond. Love it for much the same reasons as I love NYC. Plus it has the added benefit of being ever more historic. I also love the little squares and green spaces where you can escape the urbanity. Very diverse as well. Food is lacking however. And the weather flat out sucks.

3, Istanbul - Beautiful setting, beautiful women, historic, gritty, amazing food. Loved every bit of it.

Three cities I did not enjoy:

1, Los Angeles - Sprawly, ugly, brown, terrible nightlife, endless suburbia and strip malls, subpar beaches (too cold to get into the water, etc.)

2, Toronto - Like a soulless New York City, very generic "big" city; brutal winters.

3, Singapore - Sterile and dull. Plenty of better cities in East Asia (Shanghai, Hong Kong, even Jakarta.)

Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:17 pm

Post Re: Favo(u)rite and Least Favo(u)rite cities
I find Paris to be grossly overrated.

But I love Berlin! Looks like we have opposite tastes in cities.

Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:38 pm

That's the same almost everywhere - parts of NYC included (Brooklyn specifically.)

Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:46 pm
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

Top five:

Chicago - huge city that fills like a small one, so many enclaves that once you know where to go it is a great city

Tokyo - kinda obvious, I love it and frankly one of the few remaining places in the world where you can still go record shopping

Bangkok - place I now call home. Traffic is a cunt but apart from that I love it

Hamburg - my first true city love, clean parts, dirty parts and very dirty parts.

Milan - one of those I hated at first but the more I visited I grew to love. I have my favourite place, favourite hotel and many good memories.

Worst cities:
London - I loved it once, but the city has changed for the worst. It happened over time but has recently accelerated. Returning to London this summer was a soul destroying exercise. Urban regeneration can fuck off if all it does is turn everything to a sterile commodity.

LA - the only thing going for LA is Ameoba Records. Outside of that I have no desire to ever visit it again

Paris - the so-called city of love can drown in a flood and it would be a significant improvement.

Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:27 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Milan is an ugly grey city imo. Good for shopping and that's it

Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:14 am
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Love: NYC, Denver (biased...it's home), Oslo, Munich

Don't dig too much: Miami, Dallas (THE most plasticine place in the known world), Rio

Lots I've not been to yet, but that's my life thus far.

Technique only exists to do justice to your potential

Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:53 am
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Not traveled much outside NZ. The only city I can give an honest opinion is Jeon-Ju in South Korea. Small by Korean standards (600,000, which would be NZ's second biggest city!), it's like most of Korea, both beautiful and ugly at the same time. Well worth a visit if you want somewhere way off the beaten track, but I'd never fucking live there again!

Since NZ is a tourist attraction, here's my recommendations and don't fucking bother list:
The Good
Christchurch - my nearest city. The inner city was quite beautiful before the earthquakes. Lots of gardens and trees, and Victorian architecture. Since the quakes, it's lost a lot of it's old charm, but there's a newfound quirkiness to it, with a lot more space for public art, more open space, and some particularly hideous modern architecture.

Dunedin - The Edinburgh of the South. A bit fucking cold though!

New Plymouth - A forgotten city on the west coast of the North Island. It is very isolated, but very pretty as far as cities go. The coastal walkway is about 2 mins walk from the central city, and you can even get attacked by seals using it...

Nelson - Like a smaller version of what Christchurch used to be, except it's a bit arty-farty and hippy-fied.

Wellington - On a good day, the waterfront is incredible.

The Bad
Wellington - On a bad day, it's a grey, sterile, windy, cold fucking dump.

Auckland - NZ's biggest city. Badly planned, too expensive, overcrowded, fucking ugly sprawling mess. A tsunami would improve it greatly.

Timaru - Nasty little port city full of sailors, whores and inbreds.

Hamilton - dull and flat and home to one of the worst universities in the world.

Invercargill - One of the most southerly cities in the world (there might be one in Argentina a bit further south). Next stop Antarctica. Was there in mid-summer once, when the day's high temperature was 6 degrees. The place is so awful it is actually shrinking. Keith Richards upset the locals in the early 60s when the Rolling Stones were tricked into playing there. He called it "the arsehole of the Earth." That is a very generous description.

I am Deth!!! Fukk You!!! 我死了!你他媽的!나는 죽음 이다! 엿 먹어 !私は死です!あなたをファック!أنا الموت! اللعنة عليك !Я - смерть! Пошел на хуй !איך בין טויט! באַרען איר!میں موت ہوں! تم بھاڑ میں جاؤ !Olen kuolema ! Haista vittu !Είμαι ο θάνατος ! Γαμήσου !Yr wyf marwolaeth ! Ffyc chi!Ek is die dood! Fok jou !मैं मृत्यु हूं! फक यू!

"Anyone who says a bad fuck is better than a good wank has obviously never had either." - my mate Anthony

Metalcore- parting morons from their money since ages ago.

Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:58 am
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

Favourites:

1) Rome. There are bigger cities, there are more vibrant cities, and there are cities with more drinking options than just coffee bars an restaurants, but there is no other city where you can just turn the corner and see Trajan's Column, the Forum, the Pantheon, the Baths Of Caracalla, the Claudian Aqueduct, innumerable temple remains, the Imperial Palace, the Colosseum, the huge space where the Circus Maximus was, etc. etc. etc. There is no other city where you can go into the basement level of a restaurant and find you're standing in the vaults of the Theatre of Pompey, or where you can go into a 9th Century church and go down a level into a 4th Century church, then go down another level and you're in a Roman street [complete with a Mithraeum]. You turn a corner and some random fragment of a building from the 1st Century AD or older is just there, incorporated into the daily life of the city.

And then there's also the amount of architecture and art the churches have. One relatively small church has a Van Dyck painting of the crucifixion just propped on a table in the vestry. There is nowhere else like Rome.

2) London. This is my home city [or as near as it gets] and I appreciate that there are big problems with unaffordability of nearly everything, gentrification and soulless modern skyscrapers, and it's unbearable when it's hot. But there's still so much to do here, parks, museums, etc., and the Tube is still a great achievement and has a fascinating history of its own, despite how ghastly it can get in rush hour. Plus walking round the Square Mile at weekends when all the bankers are at home and the whole place is deserted is kind of fascinating.

3) NYC - only went there once but it's got such a buzz to it. London does have more of a hectic vibe these days but it's got nothing on New York, that place never stops.

4) Hamburg - again, only went once but I liked the place a lot, it had a lot of culture, history, vibrancy etc. Would like to go again at some point.

5) Salisbury - I could nominate a lot of small cathedral cities as they're usually quite peaceful places to visit. Salisbury is quite relaxing, the cathedral is wonderful, and it's got the River Avon for some nice fishing. Plus it's not far from Stonehenge and all the other prehistoric bits of that part of Wessex, and I always feel the vibe of the whole area in that regard, that something ancient and powerful is all around.

6) York - For the same reasons as Salisbury, except that it's a little more hectic and doesn't have so much prehistoric stuff around it. Has some excellent pubs and of course the railway museum.

Least favourites:

1) Salford - technically this is a city, albeit part of Greater Manchester. Grim, grim place, I've passed through it several times on the train and it just looked very rough.

2) Coventry - Concrete dystopia, with the exception of the cathedral which is wonderful - one of the best and most moving ecclesiastical buildings in Britain - and the railway station, which is actually a pretty decent example of 60s modernist architecture done well. The whole centre just looked so run down the last time I was there, though. It's not so much the city's fault, more that it seemed starved of decent investment and care.

Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:02 am
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Can't say I've done much travelling but favourites would be NY, Hamburg and London.

Worst is obviously Glasgow

Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:04 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Best:

Sapporo (mellower version of Tokyo on beautiful Hokkaido)
Tokyo
Cape Town
Amsterdam
Sofia

Worst:

Cambridge (not sure if its a city or town but its a hole)
London

Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:20 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Not too well travelled, alas, so most of mine will be within the UK, but:

Aye:

London: couldn't live there unless I was mega wealthy and possibly not even then. But it's great to visit and it's certainly never dull.

Edinburgh: looks beautiful, kind of gothic (not goth, that's Whitby), and layer upon layer of strange little side streets and boltholes, often containing out-of-the-way drinking establishments stocked with more whiskies than Danzig has chins

Prague: a bit like Edinburgh only way more so. Jaz Coleman loves it and so do I.

Nay:

Madrid: actually not a bad place at all, but I made the mistake of going at the height of summer, aka the exact point it becomes "the frying pan of Spain". Nearly died, or felt like I was about to anyway.

Brighton: has its charms, but it's bloody pricey (sometimes even more so than London), filled with preposterous individuals with preposterous hair, and even worse, retired music journalists.

Coventry: would have to agree w/ Cosmic, to call it the arsehole of everywhere would be a slur on arseholes, which are at least useful.

Bradford: the leftover vomit of a hungover, ill-tempered god.

Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:39 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

I would love to go to Prague. Only prob is its landlocked but maybe better than shitty island.

Last edited by blacklorre on Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:52 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Stat_Rad wrote:
Milan is an ugly grey city imo. Good for shopping and that's it

But Lacuna Coil are there. (OK theyre in Thailand ATM) But PL are in Halifax! I add Brighton to my list of worst even though I thought its more coastal resort town. But was happy to return to London after both of those.

Last edited by blacklorre on Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:56 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Clint Ruin wrote:

Prague: a bit like Edinburgh only way more so. Jaz Coleman loves it and so do I.

Shitloads of Czech bands I like!

Last edited by blacklorre on Sat Aug 27, 2016 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:47 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Clint Ruin wrote:

Edinburgh: looks beautiful, kind of gothic (not goth, that's Whitby), and layer upon layer of strange little side streets and boltholes, often containing out-of-the-way drinking establishments stocked with more whiskies than Danzig has chins

Nay:

Bradford: the leftover vomit of a hungover, ill-tempered god.

Love Edinburgh for all the reasons listed above.

Was in Bradford yesterday - what a fucking shithole. It is like somebody started to build a lifesize replica of Stockport and gave up half way through!

Other great places, Sheffield purely for the great pubs and especially the Sheffield Tap at the train station. Letterkenny in Ireland because whilst pretty uninspiring in itself the drive over to it across Northern Ireland and over the Glen Shane pass is breathtaking in the summer (would not want to be up there in the winter)!

Other places to forget, Douglas, Isle Of Man. So far behind modernity it is just inconvenient to be there. It isn't even able to loosely qualify as being "quaint" to warrant the lack of even basic modern joys like phone signals and regular ferries.
Cornwall, fucking miles away and yet so full of people still!
Isle of Wight, one big ferry terminal with a dual carriageway and some shops selling overpriced ice cream!

Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:18 pm
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

Post Re: Favourite and Least Favourite cities
Best cities

Berlin
New York
London
Melbourne
Copenhagen
Warsaw
Moscow
Oslo

WORST CITIES

Sydney - crowded, expensive in the extreme and full of wankers - either rushing around attached to a mobile phone or lounging around in trendy eateries staring down their noses at you. Shitty nightlife and crime ridden to the max. Don't be fooled by the lovely postcards, chaps - it's hell on earth. Good luck avoiding getting robbed or being poor after living there for a weekend. They can all get fucked.

Auckland - or "Dorkland" I prefer it call it. Absolutely nothing to do and full of aggressive drivers and "angry" people, glaring at you or being rude to you from behind shop counters. As somebody else mentioned, an ugly sprawling mess. Had the WORST customer service experience here in my entire life - the closest I have ever come to punching someone out.
HATED it!

Helsinki - in all fairness, I was in Helsinki for a single weekend and it was REALLY windy and there was fuck all to do. I bought myself a coffee and a donut at some point - took a bite and a sip, then biined them both immediately. AWFUL!!!
The Finnish wilderness is really cool though - however, if you go there in summer you will get EATEN ALIVE by mosquitos.

Manchester - Fuck off you stuck up rude pricks!! Never going back there. Bunch of smartarses. Full of "lager louts" in expensive tracksuits looking to start fights. Awful, awful customer service. Never make eye contact or smile at you. Was backpacking through there back in '06. Won't make the same mistake again.
Record stores were ok though.

Liverpool - Couldn't. Get out. Fast. Enough.

Singapore - devoid of anything interesting. And police - EVERYWHERE.

Sat Aug 27, 2016 2:16 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Singapore is sterile as fuck and it is a police state for sure. You can't even breathe without paying a fine. Their women have a bad rep too, demanding 4's who think they are 9's.

Sydney is damn expensive, but Melbourne is slowly catching up.

Sat Aug 27, 2016 2:45 am
Climate Control
Climate Control

I thought Brussels had some nice backstreets. Paris has some lovely things and places but every Parisienne should be killed. Köln gets a pass, if only for the cathedral. Dublin must drown.

Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:25 am
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Post Re: Favourite and Least Favourite cities
Paris Chrome wrote:

Auckland - or "Dorkland" I prefer it call it. Absolutely nothing to do and full of aggressive drivers and "angry" people, glaring at you or being rude to you from behind shop counters. As somebody else mentioned, an ugly sprawling mess. Had the WORST customer service experience here in my entire life - the closest I have ever come to punching someone out.
HATED it!

Cunt of a city full of cunts.

I am Deth!!! Fukk You!!! 我死了!你他媽的!나는 죽음 이다! 엿 먹어 !私は死です!あなたをファック!أنا الموت! اللعنة عليك !Я - смерть! Пошел на хуй !איך בין טויט! באַרען איר!میں موت ہوں! تم بھاڑ میں جاؤ !Olen kuolema ! Haista vittu !Είμαι ο θάνατος ! Γαμήσου !Yr wyf marwolaeth ! Ffyc chi!Ek is die dood! Fok jou !मैं मृत्यु हूं! फक यू!

"Anyone who says a bad fuck is better than a good wank has obviously never had either." - my mate Anthony

Metalcore- parting morons from their money since ages ago.

Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:21 am
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

I may not get on with Englanders but had no probs with metallers except for London's Beavis & Butthead.

Last edited by blacklorre on Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:54 pm
Reply to topic   [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next