www.Terrorizer.com - View topic - Favo(u)rite and Least Favo(u)rite cities
TERRORIZER FRONT PAGE
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:40 pm

Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Favo(u)rite and Least Favo(u)rite cities 
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

Post Re: Favourite and Least Favourite cities
Paris Chrome wrote:

Sydney - crowded, expensive in the extreme and full of wankers - either rushing around attached to a mobile phone or lounging around in trendy eateries staring down their noses at you. Shitty nightlife and crime ridden to the max. Don't be fooled by the lovely postcards, chaps - it's hell on earth. Good luck avoiding getting robbed or being poor after living there for a weekend. They can all get fucked.

I am currently in Sydney for a couple of days, stuck in downtown with the expensive stores and CBD.

I found a record store around the corner and it was charging 35 AUD for the new Sodom. Fuck that. The cheapest new release was still over 20 AUD. No wonder Statters complains about prices so much

Also, casual observation, but I might as well have been in Singapore, not Sydney. Asians everywhere, not just tourists but workers, students etc. All the staff in McDonalds were Asian

Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:06 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Post Re: Favo(u)rite and Least Favo(u)rite cities
Favourite cities:
I love both Berlin and Munich, but beautiful cites in different ways. Berlin is very cosmopolitan and diverse whereas Munich is very German, good to drink in the beer halls though.

Vienna is also a really nice city, lots of culture and atmosphere to soak up.

Durham, obviously I am biased as I live 12 miles south of the city. But I like to go there as much as I can. Not that great for shopping, it really is a tiny city but has some of my favourite places to drink and eat. Can't beat that veiw over Prebyns Bridge facing the castle and cathedral over the river Wear.

Least Favourite cities

Not really a city but Sal (Cape Verde) is akin to a nuclear wasteland from a low budget 80s movie. Nothing grows there, no animals will graze there and no fresh water at all, it all has to be desalinated from sea water. Who the fuck ever thought living here was a good idea?

Last edited by Necrolee on Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:17 pm
Infant-ile
Infant-ile

I'm also not as well traveled as some but here we go:

Faves in no order -

NYC, Chicago and obviously I don't go to the places where everyone is getting shot, Vancouver, San Fran, Edinburgh, Florence, can I say Fort William? it isn't a city I suppose, San Juan, Zurich, Whittier in Alaska which actually has city status although the pop is only around 250 I think and they all live in one building - fascinating place which can only be reached by water, by a single gravel runway closed during the winter or by a road through a tunnel which is just over 4000 m long, used to be exclusively a rail line getting trains through to the port.

Leasts in no order -

Cancun - absolute shithole of a place, massively Americanized full of drunk early 20's, no soul whatsoever
Anchorage - sorry residents but your city should be, could be a cool place and it's really not
Washington DC - freaky place, stiflingly hot in summer full of the largest American tourists on the planet, absolutely great museums but the city feels like its dead
San Diego - gorgeous climate but half the people are preening over indulged Americans and the other half are the unfortunate homeless who set up on the sidewalks due to the aforementioned climate - felt like a giant mall

Places I Want to Love But Can't Quite Get There -

London
Paris
Philadelphia
Venice- 'Oh weep for Adonais, he is dead' - such a beautiful place that no longer is a living city, a curse on all the houses of the cruise ship operators who have had such a hand in destroying it
Baltimore - can I love it just because I went to MDF there?.., the Fells Point area is really cool but the whole place felt a bit dicey as a woman on my own
Montreal

Thu Sep 01, 2016 12:23 am
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

l-c wrote:
I'm also not as well traveled as some but here we go:

Leasts in no order -

Cancun - absolute shithole of a place, massively Americanized full of drunk early 20's, no soul whatsoever

Oh dear, my brother has just gone there.

Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:09 pm
Lifer, Deather, Hesher, Whatever.
Lifer, Deather, Hesher, Whatever.

Cancun the city itself sucks. But 30 miles south in the Riviera Maya region, as well as Cozumel, are amazing. You got tropical beaches nestling against Jaguar, Crocodile, and Monkey infested Jungles, with 2000 year old Mayan Pyramids peeking through the vegetation. Awesome place

Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:55 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Post Re: Favourite and Least Favourite cities
Matsui wrote:
Paris Chrome wrote:

Sydney - crowded, expensive in the extreme and full of wankers - either rushing around attached to a mobile phone or lounging around in trendy eateries staring down their noses at you. Shitty nightlife and crime ridden to the max. Don't be fooled by the lovely postcards, chaps - it's hell on earth. Good luck avoiding getting robbed or being poor after living there for a weekend. They can all get fucked.

I am currently in Sydney for a couple of days, stuck in downtown with the expensive stores and CBD.

I found a record store around the corner and it was charging 35 AUD for the new Sodom. Fuck that. The cheapest new release was still over 20 AUD. No wonder Statters complains about prices so much

Also, casual observation, but I might as well have been in Singapore, not Sydney. Asians everywhere, not just tourists but workers, students etc. All the staff in McDonalds were Asian

If you come to Melbourne drop me a line.

Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:38 am
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

There are entire suburbs in Melbourne where virtually every single resident is either Asian or Indian. Even the shop window advertising is in Chinese.

Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:21 am
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Seville. Utterly amazing.

Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:03 pm
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

Berlin. Especially the less touristy parts on the east side.
Tallinn. The old town is beautiful, lots of history and loads of cool hidden bars and restaurants in the cellars of the old buildings.
Oslo. Yes it's ridiculous expensive, but I felt really at home here. Very clean, everyone's polite. Plus you're likely to bump into various members of black metal bands wandering around.

In the UK I liked York, Cambridge, Edinburgh and Durham, quite like Brighton and parts of London.
Leeds seemed okay for the short time I was there.
I remember Sunderland and Swansea being a bit shit, but that was years ago. Passed through Bradford once and that was enough to know I don't want to go back.

Fri Sep 02, 2016 5:08 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

I like South London
I hate East London
That is all.

Fri Sep 02, 2016 5:55 pm
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

What about South East London???

:?

Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:51 am
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

oneleggedpunk wrote:
I hate East London

Sat Sep 03, 2016 6:59 am
Infant-ile
Infant-ile

ChrisLiebing wrote:
Cancun the city itself sucks. But 30 miles south in the Riviera Maya region, as well as Cozumel, are amazing. You got tropical beaches nestling against Jaguar, Crocodile, and Monkey infested Jungles, with 2000 year old Mayan Pyramids peeking through the vegetation. Awesome place

I was there, couldn't get out of Cancun fast enough. Stayed in a house right on a beach near Tulum that had no air conditioning - in fucking July. The only thing that kept me alive was a constant supply of cold beer and a friend with a blender whizzing up endless pitchers of pina coladas, and I don't even care for rum. It was a life and death situation. I didn't even take up the opportunity of swimming in a nearby cenote which by all accounts was nice and cold. I was a limp dishrag laying in a hammock on the beach, periodically lurching into the water and looking at the pretty fish on the reef, watching the machine gun armed guards stroll up and down the beach at night. The only time I met what I felt was a slice of the real Mexico was when we went for a dinner in a nearby town that wasn't a tourist hangout. Driving through dusty streets past small single story cinderblock houses with no doors - all of them had no doors. Children and dogs in the street. Fantastic food marred by first world guilt.

Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:53 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

robitusson wrote:
oneleggedpunk wrote:
I hate East London

You post some Spectator shit then this, you must be schizo or something.

Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:51 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Paris Chrome wrote:
What about South East London???

:?

That is the centre of the universe and everything else is irrelevant.

Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:53 pm
Climate Control
Climate Control

oneleggedpunk wrote:

Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:19 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

I might be movin' to Montana soon! I will find a city find myself a city to live in.

Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:52 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Solaris wrote:
oneleggedpunk wrote:

This song is my song to live life by.

Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:10 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Favourite: Austin, been twice, would love an excuse to go again, New Orleans, only went once, pre-Katrina during a weekend when my family went on holiday to Houston, trying to find a fest I could go to there that isn't Jazzfest so I can go back (I usually book holidays around music fests), Vlissingen, lived there for a few months when I was eight while my Dad worked there, played with the idea of moving to the Netherlands because of that period, Rochester, only nice town in the Medway area, Maidstone, where I currently work and will be moving to hopefully later this year.

Least Favourite: Birmingham, depressing shit hole of a city and the local accident is just the worst in the UK, Houston/Galveston, Dad took me and my Mum on holiday there after he finished up a job, hated every second of it, the only good part was the weekend in New Orleans, Nearly all of Medway, but especially Gillingham.

Sat Sep 17, 2016 7:18 am
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Matsui wrote:
Top five:

LA - the only thing going for LA is Ameoba Records. Outside of that I have no desire to ever visit it again

Amoeba is closing down. They're turning the place into apartments or some shit like that

Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:41 am
Reply to topic   [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2