www.Terrorizer.com - View topic - Black metal documentary
TERRORIZER FRONT PAGE
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:29 am

Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Black metal documentary 
NoVice
NoVice

Post Black metal documentary
Found this fairly interesting, thought others might like it. It talks about the black metal movement in norway / oslo, the people who started it and the actions that led to black metal being associated with satanism.

Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:01 am
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Post Re: Black metal documentary
Just post the code at the end of the YouTube link and it will work:

This bit is surplus to requirements:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=

I am Deth!!! Fukk You!!! 我死了!你他媽的!나는 죽음 이다! 엿 먹어 !私は死です!あなたをファック!أنا الموت! اللعنة عليك !Я - смерть! Пошел на хуй !איך בין טויט! באַרען איר!میں موت ہوں! تم بھاڑ میں جاؤ !Olen kuolema ! Haista vittu !Είμαι ο θάνατος ! Γαμήσου !Yr wyf marwolaeth ! Ffyc chi!Ek is die dood! Fok jou !मैं मृत्यु हूं! फक यू!

"Anyone who says a bad fuck is better than a good wank has obviously never had either." - my mate Anthony

Metalcore- parting morons from their money since ages ago.

Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:22 am
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

Although I'm not really a black metal fan (I seem to like "post" black metal i.e. Enslaved, Winterfylleth, Oranssi Pazuzu etc), I keep on meaning to watch that.

Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:54 am
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

I've seen this one before. I must say I found it rather meandering and covering too much of the sensationalised elements of the Norwegian BM scene, with very little focus on the music and what made it great. I did watch it to the end, and the sections with Fenriz I actually found quite interesting and enjoyable.

Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:08 am
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Chinese Whispers wrote:
I've seen this one before. I must say I found it rather meandering and covering too much of the sensationalised elements of the Norwegian BM scene, with very little focus on the music and what made it great. I did watch it to the end, and the sections with Fenriz I actually found quite interesting and enjoyable.

The book Lords Of Chaos was the same. Spent more time talking about the sensationalised elements as opposed to the music. Also spent a lot of time kissing Euronymous's ring when the guy actually seemed like a pompous twat.

Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:42 pm
Climate Control
Climate Control

The Norwegian scene has beeen massively romanticised by documentaries and books, I still find Varg to be an interesting character and enjoy his vlogs on YouTube, I'm not a big fan of mayhem or emperor but dark throne and burzum from that period are fantastic.
The headbangers journey extreme metal episode touched on BM and is worth a watch.

Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:54 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

He might be one of the best drummers in extreme metal, Frost is a bit "touched."

Some interesting comments from Hellhammer.

Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:13 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Oh AJK, that comment about Frost being 'touched', that reminds me that the documentary also had that performance artist, or whatever he claimed to be, Carmine something? That was a whole lot of cringe and only added to the unfocused nature of that documentary.

Trigg, I've heard that about Lords of Chaos. Never read the book. Aren't they making a biopic on Mayhem that heavily references it?

Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:21 pm
Climate Control
Climate Control

Is that they guy from Satyricon who slices up a couch? Hilarious.

Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:22 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

I disagree that it's comparable to Lords of Chaos. This doco shows a different side to some of these people. Fenriz is depicted as a man that is lonely and resentful. The scene where he wanders the 'black metal gallery' is never touched upon by commentators and it makes me wonder if they were watching closely. That scene sums up the whole problem that Fenriz has with contempotary black metal: it's safe and commodified and so far more removed from its original purpose.

Fenriz strikes me as the kind of guy who feels very alienated from modern metal.

Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:35 am
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

I got this on DVD when in first came out, quite enjoyed it but haven't felt the need to watch again.
There's some interesting stuff on the bonus disc, 'Black Metal 101' with Fenriz is worth a watch:

Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:58 am
Climate Control
Climate Control

Stat_Rad wrote:
I disagree that it's comparable to Lords of Chaos. This doco shows a different side to some of these people. Fenriz is depicted as a man that is lonely and resentful. The scene where he wanders the 'black metal gallery' is never touched upon by commentators and it makes me wonder if they were watching closely. That scene sums up the whole problem that Fenriz has with contempotary black metal: it's safe and commodified and so far more removed from its original purpose.

Fenriz strikes me as the kind of guy who feels very alienated from modern metal.

Most of the new bands he likes sound like old school stuff so you well may be right.

Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:01 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Solaris wrote:
Is that they guy from Satyricon who slices up a couch? Hilarious.

Yep, absolute penis.

Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:49 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Dr Yail Bloor wrote:
Stat_Rad wrote:

Most of the new bands he likes sound like old school stuff so you well may be right.

Yeah, most of his interviews and their lyrics since around the mid-00s have kind of been flipping the bird against modern metal, especially modern BM.

Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:13 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Fenriz's discontent with modern BM goes all the way back to 97 or so when he lamented the popularity of well produced black metal like COF and Dimmu.

He seems to resent the fact that it became a 'thing' at all. i.e beyond the early tape trading and mail order scene.

Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:34 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Fenriz is definitely the most intriguing character in that doc, and comes across as the most genuine. They do paint him to be a bit of a sad sack though. Most of the other prominently feature players feel like caricatures (but that tends to be the Norwegian BM scene in general, apart from a few).

Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:06 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

I was quite interested in it when they were filming it, and watched it when it came out. It was alright. I enjoyed the interviews with Varg the most. Wasn't it in this documentary that Jan Axel Blomberg praised Bard Faust for 'killing a faggot'? That was some insight into his personality for sure.

"Grishknackh was a man of contradiction... filled with dishonour. Once he said himself to be an elf, I look upon him as a cowardly squealing orc!"
- Mortiis, 1995
Cosmic Equilibrium wrote:
In all honesty I rate Killers below Virtual XI.

Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:39 am
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

RainbowPrince wrote:
I was quite interested in it when they were filming it, and watched it when it came out. It was alright. I enjoyed the interviews with Varg the most. Wasn't it in this documentary that Jan Axel Blomberg praised Bard Faust for 'killing a faggot'? That was some insight into his personality for sure.

Yeah, I watched about half of it the other night. He said something along the lines of " I didn't think he had it in him [to carry out the murder]. When I found out he did it, he went up in my estimation".

Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:17 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

The documentary should come with a disclaimer:

"The part of Faust will be played by Stephen Hawking".

Hellhammer sounds like a cunt.

Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:42 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Chinese Whispers wrote:
Fenriz is definitely the most intriguing character in that doc, and comes across as the most genuine. They do paint him to be a bit of a sad sack though.

Yes. It's hard to tell at times whether it's simply projection (on part of the film makers) or that they wanted to explore a different side of his personality.

His persona has undergone a few shifts over the last few decades. He went from being grim to weirdly funny to a kind of old school scene loving record collecting music nerd.

Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:16 am
Reply to topic   [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next