www.Terrorizer.com - View topic - Album of the Month: 2019
TERRORIZER FRONT PAGE
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat May 25, 2019 8:46 am

Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Album of the Month: 2019 
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Post Re: Album of the Month: 2019
Annihislater wrote:
I couldn't quite get into that Drud....I mean Windswept album.

What do you do when you want to make a new Drudkh record but your keyboard player isn't up for it? Release a Windswept album.

Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:34 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

FEB:

JAN:
1. Flotsam and Jetsam - The End of Chaos
2. Soilwork - Verkligheten
3. Altarage - The Approaching Roar

Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:40 am
Profile WWW
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

How does that Overkill compare to their previous 3 releases?

I've heard it's good, but not in the same class as the last few. If so, I won't buy it.

Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:35 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Just as good tbh.
Probably a bit better than The Grinding Wheel but not quite as good as Ironbound.

Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:58 am
Profile WWW
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Basically Ironbound Mk. V. If you like modern-Overkill, then there’s something to like here, maybe just a tad predictable, though I love the punky turn of ‘Garden State’.

Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:11 am
Climate Control
Climate Control

I thought Ironbound was good but not great, this is less great than White Devil Armoury but better than The Grinding Wheel.

Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:28 am
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

I can't differentiate between one Overkill album and another these days. They've all been pretty good for the last few years. If someone were to play one and ask me which it was I wouldn't have a fucking clue.

Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:00 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Spiny Norman wrote:

I was surprised by how much I enjoyed this. It's definitely a step back in the direction of the sound they made their name on in the early 00's. Though with only one original member left, it does sometimes come across like a really fine turned tribute band.

Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:00 pm
Profile WWW
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Cuchulainn wrote:
I can't differentiate between one Overkill album and another these days. They've all been pretty good for the last few years. If someone were to play one and ask me which it was I wouldn't have a fucking clue.

That's why I held off buying The Wings of War until I heard reports from people I trust.

It's a pretty good album, but it's just another Overkill album. Having said that, their batting average is much higher this decade than it was in the previous decade or in the 90's, so it is really nothing to complain about if you like their style.

Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:37 am
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Many people are preferring Beast In Black to Battle Beast (eg. for sounding too much like Nightwish) but I'm sticking with Battle Beast. :D

Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:19 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Cuchulainn wrote:

Stat_Rad wrote:
It's a pretty good album, but it's just another Overkill album. Having said that, their batting average is much higher this decade than it was in the previous decade or in the 90's, so it is really nothing to complain about if you like their style.

That’s how I tend to feel about them these days. They are certainly consistent. But it does raise the question about whether a change is needed, because despite the consistency, it just starts to blur into one.

I know it’s difficult on groups this far into their career, and it is very much their livelihood so why would you rock the boat, but sometimes I feel like I want an artist to take a chance (although I I’m not necessarily referring Overkill, as they seem pretty genuine about this direction their on, so I’m not cynical about their path).

Obviously it’s easier said than done. Something like the return-to-form of Ironbound is probably the best result for a band 20+ years in, and it certainly help reignite interest in the band and got them on the current wave they’re riding. Apart from a change in line-up (particularly primary songwriters à la Cradle of Filth of recent years) you probably can’t expect too much change.

Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:13 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

The hype around Ironbound was legitimate. People were excited to see a veteran band roar back from the dead, but that was 9 years ago. When The Grinding Wheel came out, most of that excitement had died down and the band were just doing their thing, for better or worse.

In the end, it really comes down to how much you like their style. That determines your general tolerance level. For me the real question is this: how good are the songs? That is the main factor as the style is a foregone conclusion. We already know what it's going to sound like.

Same goes for every other classic/veteran rock or metal band.

Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:16 am
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

Stat_Rad wrote:
The hype around Ironbound was legitimate. People were excited to see a veteran band roar back from the dead, but that was 9 years ago. When The Grinding Wheel came out, most of that excitement had died down and the band were just doing their thing, for better or worse.

In the end, it really comes down to how much you like their style. That determines your general tolerance level. For me the real question is this: how good are the songs? That is the main factor as the style is a foregone conclusion. We already know what it's going to sound like.

Same goes for every other classic/veteran rock or metal band.

This is a classic case of damned if you do and damned if you dont. I can certainly see why some bands choose to experiment or change after a certain number of years.

Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:58 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

blacklorre wrote:
Many people are preferring Beast In Black to Battle Beast (eg. for sounding too much like Nightwish) but I'm sticking with Battle Beast. :D

The new BIB is better than the new BB.
Actually, the new BIB is better than most things tbf (if you like that kind of stuff)

Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:29 pm
Profile WWW
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Last edited by blacklorre on Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:39 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

The new BB is a bit more serious than before. It's like they looked at BIB's '80s glitterball disco party and reacted by being less bouncy.

Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:23 am
Profile WWW
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:43 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

1. American Football - American Football

2. Westkust - Westkust

3. Týr - Hel

Honorary mention to a Febuary that I can't stop listening to that I only got into this month

Avantasia - Moonglow

Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:28 pm
Profile WWW
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

doomrider wrote:
This is a classic case of damned if you do and damned if you dont. I can certainly see why some bands choose to experiment or change after a certain number of years.

Although it usually isn't planned, it often comes off like a strategic move. You give the fans something different to make them love what you originally offered more. Absence makes the heart grow fonder, you don't truly appreciate what you have until it's gone etc etc. That kind of thing.

The danger in straying from your original style for too long is that you can really alienate your fanbase to the point of no return, or it can take you a while to find your feet again. e.g Paradise Lost

Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:04 pm
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

Devil Master - Satan Spits on Children of Light

Also liked:
Csejthe - L'Horreur de Čachtice
Akrotheism - Law of Seven Deaths
Magic Circle - Departed Souls

Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:14 pm
Reply to topic   [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next