www.Terrorizer.com - View topic - COF sign to Peaceville....
TERRORIZER FRONT PAGE
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:27 am

Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 COF sign to Peaceville.... 
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Post COF sign to Peaceville....
in yet another 'odd' move from a popular band onto a smaller label, COF have now officially signed with Peaceville Records.

From Blabbermouth:

Quote:
British extreme metallers CRADLE OF FILTH will release their new album, "All Hallows Eve", in October via Peaceville Records on the band's own AbraCadaver imprint. The group — consisting of Dani Filth on vocals, Paul Allender and James McIlroy on guitar, David Pybus on bass, Martin Skaroupka on drums and Ashley Ellyllon on keyboards — will enter Monkey Puzzle studios near Bury St Edmunds in Suffolk this month to start work on the follow-up to 2008's "Godspeed On The Devil's Thunder".

CRADLE OF FILTH remain stalwarts to the satanic horror ethos by again composing a full-blown concept album, this time based on Adam's first wife, the lascivious Demoness Lilith; throwing Medieval nuns, Knights Templars, Greek mythology and lashings of sex, occult lore and violent bloodshed into the smelting pot, to create a darkly erotic nightmare set to their unique scope of supreme vampyric metal. For this release, the band wanted mastery of their own destiny, choosing to release the album on their very own AbraCadaver label in conjunction with Peaceville Records, home to such illicit luminaries as DARKTHRONE, KATATONIA, MY DYING BRIDE, BLOODBATH and GALLHAMMER, among many others. Vocalist Dani Filth has described the move as being "a choice to move away from the artistic restrictions/mindless inhibitions imposed by dwelling on a major label" and cites the current financial clime as "the perfect opportunity to start doing things our own way again, with the added benefit of being a far bigger fish in a proverbial pool, surrounded by people who have been handpicked to get the job best done. And more importantly... who still are hungry for the taste of music."

^^the question here is, to what extent did Roadrunner interfere in the creative process? And if that's the case, does this mean we have every good reason to expect something great next time, esp since the last record was a step in the right direction?

let's wait and see. i'm not holding my breath but you never know.

Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:36 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Post Re: COF sign to Peaceville....
Welcome back sat_rad.

I hope it means they're going to do something brilliant, but I'll not hold out much hope.

Since the order of the world is governed by death, perhaps it is better for God that we should not believe in Him and struggle with all our strength against death, without raising our eyes to heaven and to His silence.

Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:38 pm
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

The last record was pretty forgetable I thought. More pronounced Nightwish-isms and nothing amazingly strong or amazingly weak. I had them more or less written off personally.

Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:48 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Yes I thought SatRad would break this one. But did they jump or were they pushed? Either way, it's got to be a good thing. But can they win back the sort of base metaller that they alienated by courting popularity? Certainly the concept sounds like the way to go - make it even more OTT and lurid and eccentric, everyone likes that. But he says "artistic restrictions" - what were Roadrunner not letting them do musically?

Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:49 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

^^it was forgettable, somewhat, but it was still an improvement on the previous 2-3 releases.

Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:50 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

PEaceville via Dream Catcher put out some CoF stuff a while back. Bitter Suites i think, so this makes a bit of sense. Also if it is under their own imprint it probably means more money.

I agree with SatRad (welcome back btw) that the last album was probably the strongest material they put out on Roadrunner

Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:55 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Chris Chantler wrote:
Yes I thought SatRad would break this one. But did they jump or were they pushed?

It's hard to say. They were already moving in a more 'commercial' direction with 'Midian', so the progression seems logical. On the other hand, the albums on Roadrunner were even more dumbed down than Midian or even Damnation. What i'm pretty sure of, however, is that COF's partnership with Roadrunner wasn't quite as successful as Dani or the label were expecting. They failed to conquer the U.S market and i heard their sales were down in Europe too, and this was before the mid 00's when the industry was _really_ feeling the pinch from illegal downloads.

Chris Chantler wrote:
Certainly the concept sounds like the way to go - make it even more OTT and lurid and eccentric, everyone likes that. But he says "artistic restrictions" - what were Roadrunner not letting them do musically?

That is precisely what i'd like to know. Guess we'll find out soon enough.

I like the idea of the concept too. that's what COF excel at. No more albums about batty frogs though. They should dig deep into their own culture first.

Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:59 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Was 'Damnation And A Day' "dumbed down"? I seem to remember it being quite conceptually and musically overblown and over-complicated. 'Thornography' was certainly dumbed down, which I think is why I preferred it.

Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:15 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Chris Chantler wrote:
Was 'Damnation And A Day' "dumbed down"? I seem to remember it being quite conceptually and musically overblown and over-complicated. 'Thornography' was certainly dumbed down, which I think is why I preferred it.

Structurally the album was fairly basic from memory, it's just that a few of the songs had overblown arrangements. The riffs and melodies were relatively 'straight' for the most part.

Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:16 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Some of the songs were pretty great though. Mannequin and Babylon A.D. But as spiny said it's too long and a lot of filler.

Since the order of the world is governed by death, perhaps it is better for God that we should not believe in Him and struggle with all our strength against death, without raising our eyes to heaven and to His silence.

Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:27 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Chris Chantler wrote:
But can they win back the sort of base metaller that they alienated by courting popularity?

Tsk tsk. Very elitist.

Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:34 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Angry Mob Justice wrote:
Some of the songs were pretty great though. Mannequin and Babylon A.D. But as spiny said it's too long and a lot of filler.

i agree with that. it does have its moments, and i came to respect it over time but it's too long to sit through in one go.

Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:36 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

I think I'm quite excited about this. It promises to be better conceptually, and that should inspire the music to be more interesting plus it seems they have a permanent keyboardist now, something I felt was completely missing from both Thornography and Godspeed (even though Godspeed had synths I felt they were an afterthought to the songs).

Can't see why Roadrunner would have any influence on the writing???? Especially considering Godspeed was far better and IMO it was more BM than the previous 2.

One thing I can guarantee though is that Dani's vocals will suck.

Enos wrote:
chowing down on a beefy log

Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:39 pm
Profile WWW
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

MALIBUMAN wrote:
Chris Chantler wrote:
But can they win back the sort of base metaller that they alienated by courting popularity?

Tsk tsk. Very elitist.

Elitist, moi?!

You're probably right, but which bit?

Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:14 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

I posted this yesterday on the Random Music thread.

Please try to keep up.

Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:17 pm
Profile WWW
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Angry Mob Justice wrote:
Welcome back sat_rad.

I hope it means they're going to do something brilliant, but I'll not hold out much hope.

The last one sounded great at first, and I was genuinely excited about them being "back" in some way, but it didn't last long. There were some good songs (there are always are), and more importantly it sounded like they were more interested in being a fucking Metal band again then in filling the dance-floor at Goth clubs. Still too long, though, and the quality drops off at the end, like it has since Nymphetamine. A step in the right direction, but not enough of one, and as much as I'd love them to get their groove back, it's beginning to seem less likely.

Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:24 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

I think it'll get more likely on Peaceville, I'm still romantic enough to think something about the ambience of the label will rub off in a good way. Also, I think bands like CRADLE are generally likely to become more agreeable by getting older and focusing more on music rather than imagery and self-promotion.

Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:11 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Cradle were one of the first bands that opened me up to all of that imagery and darkness and OTT stuff. I genuinely thought they were the most evil band ever when I was 13/14. So a part of me just wants them to go back and capture that mystique they had.

Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:42 am
Peaceville's smaller but it's not like super indie or anything, they've got a lot of money and a lot of business prowess these days - hence all the Porcupine Tree and Opeth stuff.

Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:49 pm
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

I loved Cradle from first hearing Nocturnal Supremacy on a MH compilation up to Bitter Suites. I didn't buy DOAD, Nymph or Thorn and have never mamged to sit through Godspped all the way. I really hope they can recapture some of the magic of Dusk and Cruelty.

Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:53 pm
Reply to topic   [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next