www.Terrorizer.com - View topic - The Haunted...
TERRORIZER FRONT PAGE
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:38 am

Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 The Haunted... 
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Post Re: The Haunted...
XIII wrote:
A very fair and accurate point, Mali. I know Nick Terry for one felt the same, which was why he was prepared to give them the cover before they'd released a track.

Top guys though, met them in Sweden when they opened for us, Vader and Morbid and 1/2 the crowd left after they played lol

Got invited back to Jensen's for a moonshine party but it got broken up by the police before we got there...

Were Witchery any good? I never bothered to check them out?

Yeah, I liked the Symphony for the Devil album quite a bit.

Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:42 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

MALIBUMAN wrote:
I think the thing with the Haunted was that around the turn of the century they were seen as a plausible substitute for the rapidly waning Slayer... but in the end that turned out to be a false hope.

:mrgreen:

Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:44 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

MALIBUMAN wrote:
Haven't listened to Made Me Do It for so long, used to enjoy probably wouldn't be arsed now. Debut was good, rEVOLVEr had some good tracks, 99 was one of them, can't remember the other one..

No Compromise is probably the one you're thinking of.

http://letterboxd.com/cynical_boner/

Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:09 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

No it's All Against All.

Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:23 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

That 99 was a really misleading track i thought. I remember hearing it thinking 'wow they are fucking BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!' and it set me up for the inevitable disappointment.

It's a pretty damn good record though, but i was hoping for something on par with their debut, which it clearly wasn't.

Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:26 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

I just think it goes to show that the 'Swedish' sound in general has become stale. You can probably put it down to the Americanising of it into metalcore.

Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:33 pm
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

Satellite_Radio wrote:
MALIBUMAN wrote:
I think the thing with the Haunted was that around the turn of the century they were seen as a plausible substitute for the rapidly waning Slayer... but in the end that turned out to be a false hope.

:mrgreen:

Yup, I would go along with this. There is something about The Haunted that makes me rigid with boredom. Peter Dolving's a pretty interesting guy, and good chat, but the band is just sooooooo fucking booooorrring. Urgh.

Apparently, some wild cat said they now sound like Korn. I don't believe that for a second, but whatever stylistic left-turn they've went on it's no doubt going to end up in deepest Yawnsville.

Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:18 am
Climate Control
Climate Control

Re: the 'Swedish sound' and with a Haunted connection - are Mary Beats Jane and/or Face Down any use? I've heard of both a lot over the years but never gotten around to checking them out. Any recommendations, even if it's just "avoid"?

Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:12 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

I can't say either set my world alight to be honest. Ok is about all I can say about them.

Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:42 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Satellite_Radio wrote:
^^i'm surprised that Tom doesn't like them, not you!

They have a handful of good tunes but overall they're very dull and boring. I always prefered Unearth for that modern thrashy sound, and always felt they deserved more coverage from Terrorizer. Though I guess they're often labeled a metalcore band I was never sure if they were that after their first EP/Album though.

Since the order of the world is governed by death, perhaps it is better for God that we should not believe in Him and struggle with all our strength against death, without raising our eyes to heaven and to His silence.

Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:28 am
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Angry Mob Justice wrote:
Moses The Prophet wrote:
They've never been good.

Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:41 am
Profile WWW
Lifer, Deather, Hesher, Whatever.
Lifer, Deather, Hesher, Whatever.

The whole Gothenburg melodic death metal thing was fucking shit. At the gates were rubbish, In Flames are rubbish....

Who needs melodic death metal anyway? Girls?

Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:32 pm
Fluffy Bunny Rabbit
Fluffy Bunny Rabbit

johnny doom wrote:
The whole Gothenburg melodic death metal thing was fucking shit. At the gates were rubbish, In Flames are rubbish....

I like bits and pieces of The Haunted, and maybe 2 tracks from ATG. But on the whole I have to agree - Melodic Death can fuck off.

http://www.theinevitablenose.com/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Eschatologist/225880314091336

Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:08 pm
Profile WWW
Climate Control
Climate Control

Green Machine wrote:
Solaris wrote:
Re: the 'Swedish sound' and with a Haunted connection - are Mary Beats Jane and/or Face Down any use? I've heard of both a lot over the years but never gotten around to checking them out. Any recommendations, even if it's just "avoid"?

The only two bands I'm that bothered about from that time, not really that similar to the ATG/Haunted type of sound though. Face Down ('Mindfield', '94 was where I was at with these, still sounds OK to me!) was more leaning towards industrial sort of vibes, MBJ was a bit more rocky but very good IMO. If you like Alice In Chains or COC or something, think a bit of that thrown into the Swedish Metal sound.

Sounds interesting, cheers.

Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:23 pm
Climate Control
Climate Control

Not bad. Dunno if I'd get excited about it, though. Cheers.

Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:47 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

johnny doom wrote:

The first few At The Gates are good though, far too much atmosphere to be considered "melodic death metal", and even the likes of 'Terminal Spirit Disease' is too vicious to be lumped in with all of that stuff.

In Flames are fucking shit though. There is already more than enough melody in the lead work of proper death metal bands like Dismember, Unleashed (or even something like 'For Victory' by Bolt Thrower) without listening to limp rubbish like melodic death metal and the whole Gothenburg scene.

Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:27 am
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

I was quite into Face Down's second album (which I can't even remember the name of anymore) when it came out, but haven't listened to it since about '98 at the very latest.

Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:35 pm
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

wretched_metal wrote:
johnny doom wrote:

The first few At The Gates are good though, far too much atmosphere to be considered "melodic death metal", and even the likes of 'Terminal Spirit Disease' is too vicious to be lumped in with all of that stuff.

In Flames are fucking shit though. There is already more than enough melody in the lead work of proper death metal bands like Dismember, Unleashed (or even something like 'For Victory' by Bolt Thrower) without listening to limp rubbish like melodic death metal and the whole Gothenburg scene.

XIII discussed In Flames at the ManOmeeT and he rightly pointed out that they did in fact kick asses before they began to suck farts out of them. First 3 albums ftw.

Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:40 pm
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

I liked Jester Race when I was young and stupid, but that's as far as I'll go.

Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:42 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

The first WITCHERY album was a rollicking hoot.

Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:37 pm
Reply to topic   [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next