www.Terrorizer.com - View topic - Nightwish Appreciation Thread (Haters gonna hate)
TERRORIZER FRONT PAGE
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:52 pm

Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Nightwish Appreciation Thread (Haters gonna hate) 
Fluffy Bunny Rabbit
Fluffy Bunny Rabbit

Post Re: Nightwish Appreciation Thread (Haters gonna hate)
I like Nightwish. Century Child is a belter of an album, and most of the others are pretty top too. They're also very good live, although they were better with Tarja, in my opinion.

What I find quite amusing is that Terrorizer used to be the only magazine that would touch them with a bargepole, back when nobody over here knew who they were. As soon as they got exposure and became massive, The Big T ran screaming for the hills, and started hatin'. Builds 'em up to knocks 'em down eh?

Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:49 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Kroz wrote:
What I find quite amusing is that Terrorizer used to be the only magazine that would touch them with a bargepole, back when nobody over here knew who they were. As soon as they got exposure and became massive, The Big T ran screaming for the hills, and started hatin'. Builds 'em up to knocks 'em down eh?

Did they, though? The review of the last album was positive wasn't it? Even if it wasn't, it doesn't mean they're 'hated' because they're popular, it might be because the last album wasn't as good as earlier ones, but was more calculated to appeal to a wider audience. Also, Tegs ought to be an alternative voice - so Nightwish deserved support when no other mag in the UK was giving them any, but once they'd settled into mainstream consensus approval it's valid to apply more critical scrutiny?

Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:19 pm
Fluffy Bunny Rabbit
Fluffy Bunny Rabbit

Chris Chantler wrote:
Kroz wrote:

Did they, though? The review of the last album was positive wasn't it? Even if it wasn't, it doesn't mean they're 'hated' because they're popular, it might be because the last album wasn't as good as earlier ones, but was more calculated to appeal to a wider audience. Also, Tegs ought to be an alternative voice - so Nightwish deserved support when no other mag in the UK was giving them any, but once they'd settled into mainstream consensus approval it's valid to apply more critical scrutiny?

But if your only role is to be "an alternative voice" how can you hold an ideal or an opinion about anything? It would be totally dependant upon what other people thought, meaning you (and by you, I mean Terrorizer) wouldn't be having a single thought of their own, merely a knee-jerk "alternative" to what others were thinking.
And while the review was positive, that doesn't mean there isn't an undercurrent in the rest of the mag - little comments here and there, etc - that gives the impression that they're less in thrall to the band than they once were. I'm sure I've seen it with other bands as well. And no, I can't give examples right now! ;)
It's all opinion though, I guess, and as staff changes at the mag, so will opinion of any one band. Twas just something I'd noticed.

Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:39 pm
Infant-ile
Infant-ile

Genuinely surprised by the mostly positive reaction. I always treated their appearances in Tez as a bit of a joke, it's Disney metal?! I'm not a fan of any power metal really, my exgirlfriend was obsessed with Nightwish for quite some time so was subjected to it fairly regularly.

Always just thought it was pompous, overblown crap. With rubbish singing. Guess it just didn't float my boat, seem to be well respected round here!

Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:11 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Kroz wrote:
But if your only role is to be "an alternative voice" how can you hold an ideal or an opinion about anything?

Well I'm sleeping with the enemy these days, but that's not Tegs's only role, of course, and nor has it really been that since the mid-00s. I didn't express that very well anyway - as if bands deserve less critical scrutiny because they're small. But Terrorizer was never "in thrall" to Nightwish - as in, there has always been plenty of writers who don't care for them at all, and I dare say several who despise them. All shades of opinion are represented, there's no single standard approved Terrorizer opinion on Nightwish - although obviously you don't commission a review of their latest album from someone who hates them. But I'm certainly happy to "knock down" bands I've previously "built up", if the work they do has now become substandard or predictable or boring. Although 'predictable' is a moot criticism in metal.

Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:35 pm
Fluffy Bunny Rabbit
Fluffy Bunny Rabbit

Chris Chantler wrote:
Kroz wrote:
But if your only role is to be "an alternative voice" how can you hold an ideal or an opinion about anything?

Well I'm sleeping with the enemy these days, but that's not Tegs's only role, of course, and nor has it really been that since the mid-00s. I didn't express that very well anyway - as if bands deserve less critical scrutiny because they're small. But Terrorizer was never "in thrall" to Nightwish - as in, there has always been plenty of writers who don't care for them at all, and I dare say several who despise them. All shades of opinion are represented, there's no single standard approved Terrorizer opinion on Nightwish - although obviously you don't commission a review of their latest album from someone who hates them. But I'm certainly happy to "knock down" bands I've previously "built up", if the work they do has now become substandard or predictable or boring. Although 'predictable' is a moot criticism in metal.

Fair point, well made.

Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:22 am
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Remember when some hilarious mod on here set the swear filter to change "Nightwish" to "That band". That got old REALLY fast.

Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:29 pm
Climate Control
Climate Control

What George W. Bush was that?

Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:32 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Myrddyn wrote:
, Lee (who embaraasedly admitted this to me at the Beerfest last year).

I have been waiting for this for nearly a year, at least I can relax now.

Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:41 pm
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Seems your in good company Lee. I get shite for my Nightwish love and most of you come out and say you at least don't mind them. Over the next few board meets I am going to punch each and every one of you in the face.

Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:52 am
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

You still like Alestorm and Divine Comedy, though.

Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:04 pm
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

I quite like the first Alestorm album but onlying listen to their version of Flower of Scotland nowadays, as it has Sais bashing lyrics.

The Divine Comedy are sexytimes.

Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:01 pm
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

This particular definition predates the human species.

Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:11 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

steev wrote:

Good first listen, though it gets more ballady as it goes on and over half of the 13 minute 'epic' penultimate track is northern cunts talking (it may just be one northern cunt). Will listen a few more times, but probably end up culling that one song as it's supposed to be building up to the end of an 80 minute long concept epic, and it's just boring talking over a piano/keyboard bit...

Last song is an orchestral symphonic instrumental and Tim Burton enough to make up for the northern cunts, though. A lot of Tim Burton/Danny Elfman influence going on on the album in general, to be fair

Anyway, first impression is 4 fists. Less gallopy and more of a "musical" than previous albums, but a bold and generally successful attempt at something quite huge and impressive, to be fair.

Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:14 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Have they got rid of talentless Marco Cuntface yet?

Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:57 am
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

I hope he isn't singing as much as on the last one.

Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:00 am
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Bit much calling me a FAN! I have seen them though (twice one 'Once' tour) but only cos Missus Malibu likes them, or she did. Ghost Love Score is brilliant, Dark Passion Play is utter shit. Annette is pants, bring back Tarja. Speaking of Tarja, 'Anteroom of Death' is better than most Nightwish songs, pity she doesn't have a few more like that up her sleeve.

Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:07 pm
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

MALIKVLT wrote:
'Anteroom of Death'

Kate Bush meets nightwish with Van Canto (really) spacking over the top. Not my idea of a good time.

Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:26 am
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Third listen now, better than the last one, I doubt it's going to top Once though. The backing music is better and the orchestra is used in the most filmscore type type way that I've heard a Metal band, or any band use. Anette's vocals are a problem, Tuomas has adapted the song writing since she joined nut still wants to write ever more bombastic tunes with more and more going on and her voice gets lost among it all.

Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:22 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Djentlemanly Dr Dee wrote:
The backing music is better and the orchestra is used in the most filmscore type type way that I've heard a Metal band, or any band use.

Liesten to more Rhapsody.

Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:13 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next