www.Terrorizer.com - View topic - Nightwish Appreciation Thread (Haters gonna hate)
TERRORIZER FRONT PAGE
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:50 pm

Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Nightwish Appreciation Thread (Haters gonna hate) 
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Post Re: Nightwish Appreciation Thread (Haters gonna hate)
Painkiller wrote:
MALIKVLT wrote:
'Anteroom of Death'

Kate Bush meets nightwish with Van Canto (really) spacking over the top. Not my idea of a good time.

No it's wicked. A total one off spazz out. Love it. :D

Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:29 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

not a fan but when Tarja left, they really lost some personality i think, not to mention stage presence. that 'new' girl isn't a star. and that's why i found it strange that their last record was also their most popular. not sure how that came about.

Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:45 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

I like them.

Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:17 pm
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Satellite_Radio wrote:
not a fan but when Tarja left, they really lost some personality i think, not to mention stage presence. that 'new' girl isn't a star. and that's why i found it strange that their last record was also their most popular. not sure how that came about.

Neither was Tarja, she just has a powerful voice.

Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:34 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Satellite_Radio wrote:

Cos they stopped being a vehicle for an (admittedly ridiculously talented) ego-diva to show off and became a band that was focused on music and writing good songs.

That said, the stuff with the ego-diva showing off > the newer stuff (though not by much - Dark Passion Play is a good album, and the new one I need to hear more, but I liked the first listen), but I was just making a point

Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:49 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Only the pre-Marco Nightwish albums are real.

Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:17 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Your inability to accept 'Once' is your own loss, truly. It's an excellent album.

Yes, he's a nob and ruins the video to "I Wish I Had An Angel", but the song is still good, and Once is better than Century Child by miles. A strong 4 fister.

Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:24 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

steev wrote:
Your inability to accept 'Once' is your own loss, truly.

It really isn't.

steev wrote:
It's an excellent album.

It really, really isn't.

Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:43 am
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

I managed to sit through 3 or 4 songs from a Nightwish gig on a musical channel a few years ago, she stood there alternatively looking awkward or doing shit swaying back and fore "dancing" looking equally awkward. She looked totally out of place and this was on the Once tour, you'd have think she'd have found her mojo by then.

Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:52 am
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Anyone want to swap a cd for the new Nightwish album?

MALIBUMAN wrote:
Awesome tits for a 15 year old.

Moses The Prophet wrote:
You are facial hair?

Dreadful Doctor Dee wrote:
Terrorizer: As read by the Ayatollah

Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:55 am
Profile WWW
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Djentlemanly Dr Dee wrote:
I managed to sit through 3 or 4 songs from a Nightwish gig on a musical channel a few years ago, she stood there alternatively looking awkward or doing shit swaying back and fore "dancing" looking equally awkward. She looked totally out of place and this was on the Once tour, you'd have think she'd have found her mojo by then.

Maybe she knew they were going to fire her on the internet as soon as the last date of the tour had finished...

The new Metal Hammer has a decent 24 page magazine/interview with Tuomas and Anneke in with the new issue (Lots of photos - it's not all text!) about their history, including the firing etc, Anneke's onstage problems on the last tour and breakdown in Brazil where she stormed off in tears after getting death threats, and all about the new album. It was really interesting, fair play.

Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:59 am
Fluffy Bunny Rabbit
Fluffy Bunny Rabbit

steev wrote:
Satellite_Radio wrote:

Cos they stopped being a vehicle for an (admittedly ridiculously talented) ego-diva to show off and became a band that was focused on music and writing good songs.

Don't be silly Steev, Tuomas is still in the band.
Nightwish has always been a vehicle for his music, not for her singing - why do you think he got some bobbins Abba karaoke singer in to replace her? To prove it was all about his music, that's why.

To be fair though, if the things being said were true, she was a diva. I'd tap it though. :lol:

I'd like to hear this new one - Dark Passion Play was great at first, but quickly wore off. Once was absolutely toppin, and what's with all the Century Child haterz?! That's a four-fist album easily - certainly pisses on DPP.

Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:10 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Kroz wrote:
To be fair though, if the things being said were true, she was a diva. I'd tap it though. :lol:

Power struggles though, innit? One of them had to go. he was the boss, she was getting too big for her boots, so he buggered her off.

listening to those Nightwish songs posted in this thread and i'll be damned if i don't feel somewhat sorry for Therion. Maybe Christopher should have just let an attractive woman handle the vocals for the band in the late 90's/early 00's?

No doubt Therion laid the groundwork for much of this stuff, for better or worse.

Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:18 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Kroz wrote:
steev wrote:
Satellite_Radio wrote:

I know, I was being a little silly and lazy. But the attention was ALWAYS on her, though. In that Hammer interview he says it's cos she refused to do an American tour just when they were on the cusp of breaking through over there, and threatened to quit the band (between the line inference that her manager/their accountant may sting them cash-wise too if that was to happen) giving 24 hours notice at an important time if they booked the tour. Not mentioned in Hammer, but other rumours have been that she used the "I'll quit" threat a lot to get her own way around certain things (coverage in videos, splits of royalties etc).

His response was, Tarja was unique, so we didn't even attempt to try and replace her as she was the best in the world at what she did, so we just decided to go another way with it... which is fair enough, to be honest.

Kroz wrote:

Aye, most definitely

Kroz wrote:
I'd like to hear this new one.

Get on the DL mate, it's worth a listen, definitely. Had a couple of listens now, and it's 4 fists

Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:03 pm
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Kroz wrote:
steev wrote:
Satellite_Radio wrote:

Nightwish has always been a vehicle for his music, not for her singing - why do you think he got some bobbins Abba karaoke singer in to replace her? To prove it was all about his music, that's why.

He should have got a pop style singer with a stronger voice, Annette was a contender in the Swedish X-Factor/Pop Idol. I loathe those programmes but there are plenty of entrants with powerful voices, one of those could have held their own on the last two albums far better than Annette.

Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:31 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Can't get the Danny Elfman-isms of Scaretale out of my head at the moment. Mad as a sackful of ocelots but catchy as hell.

Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:40 pm
Profile WWW
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

I just noticed that one of the songs is called Turn Loose the Mermaids, I spluttered decaf everywhere.

Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:43 am
Fluffy Bunny Rabbit
Fluffy Bunny Rabbit

steev wrote:
Kroz wrote:

I know, I was being a little silly and lazy. But the attention was ALWAYS on her, though. In that Hammer interview he says it's cos she refused to do an American tour just when they were on the cusp of breaking through over there, and threatened to quit the band (between the line inference that her manager/their accountant may sting them cash-wise too if that was to happen) giving 24 hours notice at an important time if they booked the tour. Not mentioned in Hammer, but other rumours have been that she used the "I'll quit" threat a lot to get her own way around certain things (coverage in videos, splits of royalties etc).

His response was, Tarja was unique, so we didn't even attempt to try and replace her as she was the best in the world at what she did, so we just decided to go another way with it... which is fair enough, to be honest.

Aye, fair points all, but then you take the risk of her getting all the attention by putting her at the front of the band. Surely he realised that?
Yeah, I do remember him saying that about replacing her, and like you say, fair enough.

Will definitely try and check this out then.

Oh, and I'm not getting all the Marco hatred going on in this thread - he's one of the best things about the band, certainly live, where you can't see the drummer because of his kit and bandana combo, the guitarist is so short you can only see him from the first three rows, and Tuomas is doing his moody-Jack-Sparrow thing in the corner. Basically, the two times I've seen them live Tarja and Marco carried the band the first time; then Annette and Marco the second.

Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:58 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Satellite_Radio wrote:
Kroz wrote:

Power struggles though, innit? One of them had to go. he was the boss, she was getting too big for her boots, so he buggered her off.

listening to those Nightwish songs posted in this thread and i'll be damned if i don't feel somewhat sorry for Therion. Maybe Christopher should have just let an attractive woman handle the vocals for the band in the late 90's/early 00's?

No doubt Therion laid the groundwork for much of this stuff, for better or worse.

Therion >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Nightwish.

And yeah, they really don't get the respect or props due to them. Seeing them at the Garage in 2004 was fucking immense, one of the best gigs I have ever seen.

Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:40 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

I'm listening to Ghost Love Song right now, and although I can appreciate that it does one good to listen to something different, I feel like I'm undergoing the audio equivalent of a root canal.

And the Manowar "Nessun Dorma" cover isn't too bad IMO, I've certainly heard much worse covers:

1) Rykers - "You Never Walk Alone" (Carousel).
2) W.A.S.P - "Paint It Black" (The Rolling Stones).
3) That shit Italian nu-metal band who covered "Walk Like An Egyptian" (The Bangles).
4) Clawfinger - "Vienna" (Ultravox).

Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:21 am
Reply to topic   [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next