www.Terrorizer.com - View topic - BATHORY Appreciation Thread
TERRORIZER FRONT PAGE
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:15 pm

Reply to topic  [ 190 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 BATHORY Appreciation Thread 
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Post BATHORY Appreciation Thread
Ok, now this may seem a bit odd, but I've only just actually got into Bathory. Shame on me, yes I know.

I finally decided to get Blood Fire Death, being as it seems to be one of the most praised, and also got a copy of Hammerheart from a friend, and I have to say they are both fantastic, and I can't believe it's taken me so long to get into them.

So, being as Bathory has gone from scene creating BM, to epic BM, to viking, to power etc... what is your favourite period/album and why?

What to people make of the vast change in sound over Quorthon's career? Which album should I get next etc.

Discuss his music, his life, his death!

Enos wrote:
chowing down on a beefy log

Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:09 pm
Profile WWW
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Post Re: BATHORY Appreciation Thread
bathory where an important band for me growing up, first song i heard was 'for all them who died'
after that i was hooked

Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:23 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

For me Viking period was best. Hammerheart being the best in my opinion.
Of the black metal trio Under the Sign of the Black mark is my favourite.
I don't really like anything after Twilight of the God's.
I feel Blood Fire Death suffers from being a sort of hybrid of the 2 styles, as viking metal the next two are better, and black metal the first 2 of the first 3 are better, and I feel it's just left somewhere in between. But a fantastic album none the less.
Hammerheart>Twilight of the Gods>Under The Sign of the Black Mark>Bathory>Blood Fire Death>The Return.

I think that cover's the main points :P

Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:27 pm
Profile WWW
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

^ Didn't realise you were a fan Neil?

Time will tell for me. I'm not a downloading man, so it's gonna take a few months to pick up the "important" albums, which I figure from what I've read over the years is everything up to and including Twilight of the Gods.

I have heard the Nordland albums are pretty good though

Enos wrote:

Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:33 pm
Profile WWW
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

I used to be a massive fan. There is/was a tonne of pics on facebook of me with a twilight of the god's shirt. I went through a massive phase Bathory phase at college.

Everyone tells me Nordlands are good, but Blood on Ice is better, but in turn thats just a sub Par Hammerheart. I had heard that Blood On Ice was written before Hammerheart and never recorded though, so some people consider it one of the early albums.

Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:40 pm
Profile WWW
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

It was mainly written and recorded earlier but apparently Quorthon thought it was too big a leap from the albums it was recorded in between. Here's the metal archives guff about it:

"This album was originally recorded in 1989 and was intended to be the fifth Bathory album, but the album was not immediately released and had not been finished properly. Because of this, Quorthon was worried that it drastically presented a departure from the band's original black metal sound, so the project remained in the vault until it was finally redone in 1995. According to interviews, around 40% of the original material dating from the 80s was re-made - the remaining was untouched. This album falls right in line with the Viking era of Bathory."

Enos wrote:

Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:42 pm
Profile WWW
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

I might give it a whirl later to see if my opinions have changed much.

Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:44 pm
Profile WWW
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

I'm a "Hammerheart" guy. Have got BFD, Twilight and Blood on Ice too and prefer the viking stuff, but you can't argue with BFD.

Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:01 pm
Climate Control
Climate Control

Blood Fire Death and Hammerheart, obviously and Nordland I & II are also bloody good. I was never taken with the black metal albums but then again, I'm in a tiny minority who really like Requiem.

Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:04 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Under The Sign and Blood Fire Death are my favourites, but Hammerheart is monumental. Basically, the first six albums are absolutely essential IMO.

Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:38 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Blood Fire Death, definitely. Never really listened to Octagon and Requiem properly and Twilight Of The Gods can fuck right off, but the rest are great.

Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:09 am
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Some good stuff. More influential than great themselves, I would say. Obviously they're important to name drop now which is cool and all, but I don't remember anyone listening to them really "back in the day".

Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:56 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Nearly all of his albums are good, but some are better than others.

HAMMERHEART. BLOOD FIRE DEATH. UNDER THE SIGN...

Only three that are really essential.

Since the order of the world is governed by death, perhaps it is better for God that we should not believe in Him and struggle with all our strength against death, without raising our eyes to heaven and to His silence.

Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:00 am
Infant-ile
Infant-ile

I have the first 4 albums. Kinda just stopped after that. Return of the Darkness and Evil is my favourite by a mile.

Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:19 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

███████████ wrote:
Blood Fire Death, definitely. Never really listened to Octagon and Requiem properly and Twilight Of The Gods can fuck right off, but the rest are great.

And how would you like to be "addressed"? As _______________? ShitE? BumO? Or will Helen do ;)

Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:39 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Annihislater wrote:
For me Viking period was best. Hammerheart being the best in my opinion.

This. Hammerheart > Twilight of the Gods > Blood On Ice > Nordland I > Nordland II > the "thrash" albums > the rest.

Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:37 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

What is "Viking metal" anyway, and how is it such a massive step away from black metal?

I've never heard Bathory. Them and King Diamond are the two big gaps in my metal knowledge.

Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:48 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Being someone who grew up with Bathory and thus watched the development I'd have to say that when Bloodf Fire Death came out it just eclipsed all the albums that came before. The title track is a massive epic... but when Hammerheart came out I really didn't like it. Until later, and now of course it's my favourite of the lot. Twilight of the Gods is probably my second favourite although the last track might be a bit of a stretch for some people...
Requiem was... a disappointment, let's be honest, but Octogan is properly shit. You know you've hit rock bottom when the best track on your album is a Kiss cover...
Blood on Ice was better and had a genuinely brilliant track on it 'The Lake', and Destroyer of Worlds had two good songs on it, but a lot of shit too.
Never really got into the Nordland albums, just kind of okayish really.
I still like the Return, probably because when it came out I was 15 it was proper evil. Likewise the first one and it was cool how there was no photo's of Quorthon... that said, he could never outdo Venom for me.

Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:03 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Ed Blackadder wrote:
What is "Viking metal" anyway, and how is it such a massive step away from black metal?

To me it's sort of a mixture between folk metal and black metal, but with other influences. It's like the sort of folk metal that doesn't actually sound folky at all but is still called such. It's hard to describe, but I would say it's one of those genre's you know when you hear if that makes sense. Often it just sounds Vikingy, and makes use of the sort of chant like clean vocals but you have the growl's and whatnot as well.
On the one hand you have the likes of Bathory's mid period, Ereb Altor and Gjallahorn, the latter two are quite doom influenced, but yo ualso have the more folk/black side with bands like Nebelhorn, Falkenback, Tyr, Einherjer, Turisas (on some tracks.) Frostmoon etc.
And then Forefather who I'm told insist upon being called Anglo Saxon metal,l but lets not go their, (cracking band none the less)
There is an arguement for lyrical themes being taken into consideration, but for me thats just none sense.

I know it's not a great explanation, and I'm sure some would disagree with aspects of it, but like I say, its one of those things that's hard to describe.

Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:28 pm
Profile WWW
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

steevXIII wrote:
And how would you like to be "addressed"? As _______________? ShitE? BumO? Or will Helen do ;)

The poster formally known as...

Heh, you decide.

Annihislater, I completely disagree with you. It's all down to what bands label themselves, and black metal is not an essential part. Twilight Of The Gods is not BM. Amon Amarth are not BM, or folk. Most popular "viking metal" has no trace of BM.

Last edited by Sacrebleurgh on Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:38 pm
Reply to topic   [ 190 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next