www.Terrorizer.com - View topic - The Paradise Lost Merry-Go-Round thread
TERRORIZER FRONT PAGE
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:11 am

Reply to topic  [ 1416 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 67, 68, 69, 70, 71
 The Paradise Lost Merry-Go-Round thread 
Lifer, Deather, Hesher, Whatever.

Post Re: The Paradise Lost Merry-Go-Round thread
Some odd choices on there, although I agree with some of the points he's made. Nick Holmes sounded stronger on FDU-DUU than on TI, but I couldn't picture that album with death growls to begin with. It's also the material on TI's that's just kinda there - a bit more on the safe and consistent side, but its highlights aren't as strong compared to FDU-DUU.

SoG is an odd one because it's got some cool riffs on there for sure, but plenty of songs on there never grabbed my attention much. Oddly enough ''Daylight Torn'' is still my favorite on there, despite being the longest track on that album.

And I can't believe Greg ranks LP better than Gothic. It sounds like the band were really just starting out on the debut and made a hell of a progress one year later.

EDIT: I can't wait to hear Tragic Idol's enthusiasm about the new record. :D

Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:19 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

They change their minds about their past as often as they change their underwear, esp Nick and Greg.

Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:56 am
Opinionated Loudmouth. Perkele!

They do change their minds - have vague memories of seeing a PL documentary from shortly after 2005, where they thought highly of the self-titled and lowly of their debut.

The list sort of makes me want to make my own ranking. Anyone else want to put forward their own ranking of some/all of PL's albums?

Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:57 pm
Climate Control
Climate Control

Icon
Draconian Times
Gothic
Lost Paradise
Shades Of God

Yeah, fuck off after that.

Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:51 am

Tragic Idol where are you?

'Frozen Illusion' is probably my favourite track in this. It is a throwback to the Death Metal roots of the band it's a great track too. It is superior to the songs Nick did on his Bloodbath effort in my opinion. Very good album, a journey through the career of PL I think.

Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:46 am
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Solaris wrote:
Icon
Draconian Times
Gothic
Lost Paradise
Shades Of God

Yeah, fuck off after that.

Demos. Lost Paradise. Gothic. Fuck off after that.

Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:28 am
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Hi there!

Capt. Howdy wrote:
Tragic Idol where are you?

'Frozen Illusion' is probably my favourite track in this. It is a throwback to the Death Metal roots of the band it's a great track too. It is superior to the songs Nick did on his Bloodbath effort in my opinion. Very good album, a journey through the career of PL I think.

Here I go! :twisted: My Paradise Lost albums rating simple as that:

1. Shades Of God (5\5)
2. Medusa* (5\5)
3. Faith Divides Us Death Unites Us (4\5) \ The Plague Within (4\5)
4. Host (4\5)
5. Icon (5\5) \ Tragic Idol (4\5) {TI sandwiched by two greater albums with harsher vocals}. From this point I can agree with Greg about no growling on TI. He pushed Holmes to do death metal vocals again since 'A Fragile King'!
6. Gothic (3\5) \ Lost Paradise (2\5) ** {because of production}
8. One Second (3\5) \ Symbol Of Life (3\5) \ In Requiem (3.5\5)
9. Draconian Times (4\5)
10. Self Titled (2,5\5)
11. Believe In Nothing (1\5)

* 'Medusa' can stand any possible criticism even only with two tracks on it: 'No Passage For the Dead' and 'Fearless Sky'. Some of the strongest songs they wrote ever. It's like Shades Of God uplifted on another level (however, not exact copy of it). What I like in 'Medusa' it is different from 'The Plague Within' + no fillers on it (I still cant listen to 'Punishment Through Time' and always skip album version of 'Victims...').

New album is real take-no-prisoners PL. Mixed with tracks a la In Requiem ('Medusa' for example) The only negative about it - I am missing totally death metal songs on it (still in love with 'Flesh From Bone'). BUT, re-recorded 'Frozen Illusion' powerful as fuck. Prefer this one to original one. 'From the Gallows' sounds like a draft of 'Dead Emotion' and 'Gods Of Ancient' a little bit simmilar to 'First Light' (but in a deathy\doomier key).

** Thats why I think if whole debut album would be rerecorded it would be really great!

Colin040 wrote:
EDIT: I can't wait to hear Tragic Idol's enthusiasm about the new record. :D

So far yeah - i am pleased. Hope to find more pure death metal songs on the next release. 'Shrines' like a song from 'Believe In Nothing' with kind of Depeche Mode feeling on it. Nothing special, pretty standard and catchy, but Holmes is a good on it. 'Until the Grave' sort of Symbol Of Life meet Draconian Times (growling masking it). Interesting. Some bits on this reminds to me stuff from Tragic Idol (guitars from 'To the Darkness'). Overall it all sounds pretty consistent, and I love 'Fearless Sky' (funeral gothic doom?) as sex with girls! Nick's live growling is just better and better:

And again - 'No Passage...' such a killer!

Speaking of bonus tracks 'Symbolic Virtue' I guess self repetitive, boring track. I've heard it on 'Sons Of Perdition' which is better. Even as a fan I am glad 'Symbolic Virtue' is not an album track.

Colin040 wrote:
I like the new album, but I think Blood & Chaos is pretty lame actually. Catchy in a bad way.

I can understand mixed feelings of Colin about 'Blood and Chaos' but also like the drive of this track.

p.s.
My review of Medusa is a pretty damn big and sucessful. Glad the band reposted it on their FB page. Here the link: https://vk.com/tragicidolproza?w=wall-70856014_536

Common, give yourself a chance!
https://music.yandex.ru/users/lecter-zador/playlists/3

Last edited by Tragic Idol on Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:03 pm

Tragic Idol wrote:
I love 'Fearless Sky' (funeral gothic doom?) as sex with girls! .

Never change, dude. :lol:

My opinions on Medusa is still changing here and there, but I'm still convinced this is the most realistic modernized PL release to date. Heavier than the previous albums, yes, but it sounds more fluent and cohesive. I still like a track such as ''Flesh From Bone'' on TPW, but it doesn't really sound like a Paradise Lost track...

Interesting observation about ''From the Gallows'', though. I don't think it's far off - and I never thought I could compare any of PL's modern songs to their Gothic stuff. Perhaps Greg can search for more lost tapes before writing a new album! :D

Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:20 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Haha, cool!

Common, give yourself a chance!
https://music.yandex.ru/users/lecter-zador/playlists/3

Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:58 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Medusa is very good. I think the negative reports about it being repetitive and boring are by people who expected catchier material, which PL usually deliver. Medusa is more of a grower. Less instant.

Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:36 am

That's what I've read so far, too. I really don't think the new album is repetitive though. Each song has got its own identity on the new record.

How come you like it, Stat? I remember you said you didn't like the idea of the band going in this direction to begin with.

Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:37 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

There is a mix of sounds on there so it's ok.

Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:44 am
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Medusa is proof that PL is the best English band! How many others have a Merry-Go-Round thread? Besides a change of drummers & styles (which keeps things interesting) while still sounding like PL they remain consistent & listenable! They should be more appreciated! Imagine a world without PL? :?:

Last edited by blacklorre on Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:16 pm
Climate Control
Climate Control

Bliss.

Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:19 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Solaris wrote:
Bliss.

:lol: