www.Terrorizer.com - View topic - The Paradise Lost Merry-Go-Round thread
TERRORIZER FRONT PAGE
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:00 pm

Reply to topic  [ 1416 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71  Next
 The Paradise Lost Merry-Go-Round thread 
Lifer, Deather, Hesher, Whatever.

Post Re: The Paradise Lost Merry-Go-Round thread
blacklorre wrote:
Colin040 wrote:
Not my kind of music and not my kind of female vocals. Nick Homes sounds tolerable though.

He always does! What female vocals do U like? Gallhammer or Myrkyr?

Female vocals of the following bands are female vocals that I like:

Derketa
Show-Ya
Chastain (absolutely killer!)
Thorr's Hammer

That's about it, I think.

Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:02 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Common, give yourself a chance!
https://music.yandex.ru/users/lecter-zador/playlists/3

Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:18 am
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:36 pm

It looks alright.

I just dislike how Greg and Nick said the new album will be like Gothic and Shades of God. We all know it won't be anything like that. Apparently the album opener will be eight and a half minute long which I find surprising but interesting for sure.

Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:03 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

I don't like the idea of them moving in that direction anyway. The only album of theirs I've really liked since the mid 00's is Tragic Idol, although they all have their moments. That Faith Will Divide Us one had some great songs, but the days of me getting excited about the prospect of a new PL album are lone gone, even if I continue to buy whatever they put out.

Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:27 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

The thing is, Greg is still clearly more than capable of writing very heavy material, as to which the Vallenfyre records attest. And Holmes can still deliver the DM vox (see Bloodbath). I'd be into this as my favourite PL stuff is the demos, Lost Paradise and Gothic.

Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:24 am

The band said before that their past works would be like their early material.

If I remember correctly, Tragic Idol was told to have ''lots of guitar melodies reminiscent of the Draconian Times'' and The Plague Within was suppose to be a ''mixture between the band's very early years and their modern outputs''. Both didn't sound anything like that.

The band also said there will be an experimental track on the new album that recalls late 90's Paradise Lost. Oh well.

Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:20 am

From PL's Facebook: On 1st September 2017, our new album "Medusa" will be released via Nuclear Blast. We are pleased to announce that we will premiere the first single, entitled 'The Longest Winter' on Friday 7th July 2017 - listen to a teaser here:

In addition, we can now reveal the full "Medusa" track-list:

1. Fearless Sky (8:30)
2. Gods Of Ancient (5:50)
3. From The Gallows (3:42)
4. The Longest Winter (4:31)
5. Medusa (6:20)
6. No Passage For The Dead (4:16)
7. Blood & Chaos (3:51)
8. Until The Grave (5:41)

Bonus tracks:
Frozen Illusion (5:45)
Shrines (3:59)
Symbolic Virtue (4:38)

The songtitles stink (who came up with these generic titles?!) and the teaser doesn't sound promising either. Mweh.

Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:49 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Cuchulainn wrote:
The thing is, Greg is still clearly more than capable of writing very heavy material, as to which the Vallenfyre records attest. And Holmes can still deliver the DM vox (see Bloodbath). I'd be into this as my favourite PL stuff is the demos, Lost Paradise and Gothic.

Agreed! Russian tour was awesome in every single thing: sound, crowd and perfomance.

I guess Greg would stop doing Vallenfyre cos PL is more important for him and not less heavier anymore! Here is some new info's on Kerrang!: http://www.kerrang.com/49211/heres-ever ... ost-album/

Full concert from Moscow, 2017:

Colin040 wrote:
The band said before that their past works would be like their early material.

If I remember correctly, Tragic Idol was told to have ''lots of guitar melodies reminiscent of the Draconian Times'' and The Plague Within was suppose to be a ''mixture between the band's very early years and their modern outputs''. Both didn't sound anything like that.

My friend, please, stop insulting me. If you didnt hear any simmilitaries between Tragic Idol and Drac Times it's up to you, but... Hell! Also 'The Plague' has growls plus clean vocals and 'Flesh from Bone' totally death\doom song which can be found on the first two records of theirs, I guess.

Anyway, I like the new direction. Dont THINKING Medusa will REPEAT Shades or Gothic in every single note. Just have simmilar moments, you know. Like

Fear of Impending Hell = Hallowed Land Part II.

IMHO.

Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:51 pm

Part of me thinks it's unnecessary to post this, but I'll bite...

First of all: I was talking about how Paradise Lost themselves said that ''their new album'' (Tragic Idol at the time!) would feature lots of guitar melodies reminiscent of Draconian Times.

Also just because the latest record featured death metal vocals again, doesn't mean the record automatically sounds like the first two PL records. Would you honesty say that ''Flesh from Bone'' sounds like a leftover from LP or that ''Beneath Broken Earth'' sounds like it's taken straight of Gothic? Style wise they match those records but that's about it.

What I'm saying is that fans SHOULD take what bands say about their upcoming record with a grain of salt. About every band claims their next record recalls their early stuff but more often that's jut not true.

Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:19 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Colin, Paradise Lost never release the same album twice. Their past albums are mere touchstones for their new ones stylistically, that's all, and that's a good thing.

Gothic II or Shades of God II would be utterly redundant at this point, and it's really unclear to me why anybody would expect that from PL when taking their career as a whole.

I would also suggest that anyone who thinks Lost Paradise represents the pinnacle of their career is too cloth eared for their own good! :D

Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:33 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

I laughed! Lovin you, guys!

Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:02 pm

PL have repeated themselves plenty. DT is a retread of Icon; BIN is Host with slightly more prominent guitars; Symbol of Life and PL are pretty much the same record. The post PL albums kind of all blur together into one. The whole PL reinvents themselves with each release is overblown.

Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:02 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Symbol of Life and PL don't really sound anything alike. Neither do Host and BIN. I'll grant you Icon and DT, but DT was at least a refinement and consolidation. Even though they are similar, the differences are subtle but noticeable.

Nobody said they reinvent themselves with each album. They do tend to mix it up a bit with each release, but must admit I found their last album a bit faceless.

Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:41 pm

Just heard those new songs that appear in that Legacy Magazine release. They're not bad, just modern PL by the numbers kind of tracks. ''The Longest Winter'' only features growls during the chorus while ''Symbolic Virtue'' only features clean vocals. So far I'm not impressed.

Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:06 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Tragic Idol and F.D.U.D.U.U are very good albums. Songs like Crucify, As Horizons End, The Rise of Denial, Theories From Another World etc are top quality PL songs to me, and that's coming from a long term fan. I'd comfortably give them 4 fists each, even if they are low 4's.

In Requiem and The Plague Within, however, are real mixed bags for entirely different reasons aside from the fact that they both lack a sense of identity. I.R sounds tentative, like a band trying to find their feet again. The songs are hit and miss and the sound really isn't good to my ears. It sounds overproduced and underproduced at the same time. Rhys Fulber clearly wasn't the right man for the job. He is good at producing industrial metal and slightly poppy metal, but when it comes to doom/death he is just out of his element. It isn't a coincidence that the most well produced songs on that album are the more accessible ones. e.g The Enemy, Fallen Children etc

The Plague Within, on the other hand, sounds fine, but it's probably the first PL album that has a bit of a going-through-the-motions feel about it at times, and Nick's growls sound a bit weak to my ears. He was really going for it on F.D.U.D.U.U, but on Plague it's like he is doing a job or something. It's certainly a well crafted album, but it's less inspired than Tragic Idol. I think the preference shown for it by some fans merely reflects the preference for a heavier doom based style rather than it's actual superiority.

Greg Mackintosh is still the star of that band though and the main reason to listen. He is still one of the most underrated players in metal, despite P.L's stature. He never seems to run out of fresh new ways to twist his signature style, but the band's songwriting on the whole just isn't as strong anymore.

Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:30 am

Stat_Rad wrote:
Greg Mackintosh is still the star of that band though and the main reason to listen. He is still one of the most underrated players in metal, despite P.L's stature. He never seems to run out of fresh new ways to twist his signature style, but the band's songwriting on the whole just isn't as strong anymore.

Words of wisdom! He's definitely the savior of the band, so to speak. Although some modern PL tracks such as ''As Horizons End'', ''First Light'' and ''Beneath Broken Earth'' are some of my favorites of the band to me, I just wonder whether if the band's last 3 albums will have some huge lasting value for me over the years. I loved FDU-DUU when it came out but started to like it quite less over the years. It was a step in the right direction, but has some odd tunes on there with awkward structure (''I Remain'', ''Living With Scars'') while the softer material, aside from the title track doesn't really do much for me either.

TPW did have some vocal lines I could have done without and it seem to embrace a wide influence I guess but listening to it now I find that a bit too much. ''No Hope in Sight'' sounds like Iron Maiden gone doom/death instead of Paradise Lost.

Here are the two new songs btw:

(bonus track)

The weird thing is how safe these songs sound. ''The Longest Winter'' would have made more sense to me a new track for TPW because of the growled chorus, but it's just PL by the numbers.

Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:42 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

I like I Remain but Living With Scars is average. As Horizons End and The Rise of Denial are beastly though.

The Longest Winter sounds a bit like Type O. I like it. They also rerecorded Sell It To The World for the e.p i think

Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:46 am
Opinionated Loudmouth. Perkele!
Opinionated Loudmouth. Perkele!

Stat_Rad wrote:
I think the preference shown for [The Plague Within] by some fans merely reflects the preference for a heavier doom based style rather than it's actual superiority.

Greg Mackintosh is still the star of that band though and the main reason to listen.

Agreed with these points.

I prefer Symbolic Virtue of the two new tracks.

Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:55 am

Found samples on Youtube:

I like what I'm hearing.

Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:45 pm
Reply to topic   [ 1416 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71  Next