www.Terrorizer.com - View topic - The Paradise Lost Merry-Go-Round thread
TERRORIZER FRONT PAGE
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:58 pm

Reply to topic  [ 1490 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 75  Next
 The Paradise Lost Merry-Go-Round thread 
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Post Re: PARADISE LOST
^^ok well that makes sense. I could definitely understand giving Judgement 5 fists.

Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:44 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

can't be arsed reading the whole thread, but only Gothic and Icon are 5 fists for me, and the Vallenfyre album is better than anything PL have done for the last 15 years...

Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:45 pm
Profile WWW
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Dee... Darren isn't on Silent Enigma

Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:30 pm
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

steev wrote:
Dee... Darren isn't on Silent Enigma

And I thank thank God for it! Yes, but it was written for his vocal style wasn't it? Whathisface had to step in and do growly vocals at the 11th hour didn't he?

Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:43 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

If we're fisting bands I'm going to have to say 2 fists for Draconian Times.
As for anathema, I'd give most of their judgement onwards output 5 fists, other than A Fine Day and the two reinterpretation albums, which would have both been 5 fists had they not been reworking of old material and new material at the time if that makes sense.
Though I imagine there'll be a lot of disagreement there.
Never really could get into early Anathema though.

Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:42 pm
Profile WWW
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Wretch wrote:
Some interesting (and by interesting I mean largely wrong) posts here.

Absolutely.

Wretch wrote:
The band have become less and less interesting with each album for me, but up to and including Draconian Times they were one of my favourite bands, and One Second has grown on me, but I find their later work largely uninspired compared to what they did in the early 90's, with only a handful of genuinely great songs. And as Dee pointed out somewhere, the guitar sound on their later heavy albums bears little relation to the one that defined their earlier work, which makes it unappealing for me personally, as that was one of the reasons I was drawn to them originally...

The early work of both MDB and Paradise Lost is clearly better than what Anathema were doing at the time. And what Anathema were doing was fucking great, so that's not a criticism, more an opinion. Well, a fact that has been dealt.

Sense.

Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:04 am
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Tragic Idol wrote:
Dave Gahan not bad too.

Quality. :D

Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:25 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Stat_Rad wrote:
Eternity is a possible 5 fist? I always thought that was an interesting transitional album, but nowhere near great. Alt 4 didnt' stand up for me over time. I'd give Judgement a low 4.5 perhaps.

Eternity is brilliant. Love it. In fact the only Anathema albums that aren't brilliant are Natural Disaster and Fine Day To Exit. And neither of those 2 are shit by a long chalk. Alt 4 definitely stands up too, only problem is its perhaps too short

Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:35 am
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

I was hugely into MDB back in the day, but can't really be arsed with them anymore. Trinity and TLTS are still brilliant, and I've got a lot of time for ATFW too, but they're an occasional listen at best. Of the others, I liked Anathema for Silent Enigma but never really clicked with anything else, and Paradise Lost always seemed like they were missing something. I think I understand why some people love Draconian Times so much, but to me it sounds very cynical and heartless, an album of style rather than substance. I like my Doom to weep bitterly and pull its hair out, not stand around in a big coat looking cool.

Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:39 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

ULTRANumb wrote:
Tragic Idol wrote:
Dave Gahan not bad too.

Quality. :D

So you like Depeche Mode today Mali and not just Songs Of Love and Devotion? YOu seem to change your mind about them as often as you presumably change your underwear ;)

Gahan is a much better singer than Nick Holmes, that's for sure. All you need to do is play 'Host' and 'Ultra' back to back to realise this.

PAINKILLER: regarding the 'something missing' comment, i think that's true, but for me it's a positive that works in their favour, and adds to the general mood of their music.

agree about MDB. I haven't really got into anything they have released since 2003/2004. The last 2-3 albums i've bought out of a misguided sense of loyalty. Neither spent particularly long on my stereo. Gone are the days where i'd put a new MDB in constant rotation for at least the first month of purchase. Nothing sticks anymore. Their music is no longer memorable. it just goes in one ear and out the other. and on top of that i'm rarely in the mood for their music now, yet i've got 10-11 cd's in my collection just sitting there gathering dust! MDB meant a lot to me in the 90's, but i was also quite a depressed teenager too. Now i'm just a cynical prick of an adult that likes his depression cold, without a side of gothic romanticism, and in many ways i think bands like Katatonia kind of supplanted them, and made them feel less relevant.

I guess the real problem is that MDB just became locked in their style. At least it's their style and not anyone elses, so i guess they have the right to, but they lost their edge years ago. I'm not convinced they are producing interesting or creative variations of it anymore. As good as The Dreadful Hours and S.O.D.W.O.L were--and even half of T.L.A.T.E.O.T.W--they haven't been the same band since that 34% record.

As for Anathema, they are back in my good books after the last album, which was much better than i expected it to be, and easily their best since 'Judgement' in my view.

Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:13 am
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

Anathema own PL

Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:32 am
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Yes, PL helped them when Anathema start to be a band [and before they start to position themself as a band], and they respect PL alot at all times.

Common, give yourself a chance!
https://music.yandex.ru/users/lecter-zador/playlists/3

Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:45 am
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Only MDB album I have is Like Gods Of The Sun. 3 Fists.

Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:46 am
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

steev wrote:
Stat_Rad wrote:
Eternity is a possible 5 fist? I always thought that was an interesting transitional album, but nowhere near great. Alt 4 didnt' stand up for me over time. I'd give Judgement a low 4.5 perhaps.

Eternity is brilliant. Love it. In fact the only Anathema albums that aren't brilliant are Natural Disaster and Fine Day To Exit. And neither of those 2 are shit by a long chalk. Alt 4 definitely stands up too, only problem is its perhaps too short

A Fine Day is perilously close to shit.

Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:16 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Tragic Idol wrote:
Let's remember how it was years ago..
in 1993 (ICON)

in 1995 (draconian times)

in 1999 (HOST)

and how it's for nowdays
in 2009 (Faith Divides Us - Death Unites Us)

Always great or good.

example of comments from you tube
Quote:
This song just keeps on getting better every time I listen to it. They are truly one of the biggest musical geniuses ever.

Sorry to say, started badly and just got worst.

Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:44 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Don't worry, OLP we'll find a track you like soon as by the end of the month Tragic will have posted studio and 2 live versions (one from Russia, one from somewhere else) of every single track PL have ever done.

And dobbed in everyone that's said something negative and resembling a fact to the band themselves...

Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:34 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Tragic is about as good as Paradise Lost seem to be.

Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:37 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

The only Paradise Lost track I can think of that might remotely appeal to OLP is 'Fear'. But then he'd never admit it even if he liked it. Heh.

Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:15 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

It is by far the best Paradise Lost track i've heard but it still isn't my cup of tea.

Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:28 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

My 3 favourite songs from the last P.L: I remain, As Horizons End and Rise Of Denial. Tragic already posted the first one, so here are the other two:

'last regret' is great too.

nothing 'uninspired' about those songs. it just comes down to whether you like them or not.

Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:14 am
Reply to topic   [ 1490 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 75  Next