www.Terrorizer.com - View topic - The Paradise Lost Merry-Go-Round thread
TERRORIZER FRONT PAGE
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:17 pm

Reply to topic  [ 1550 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 78  Next
 The Paradise Lost Merry-Go-Round thread 
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Post Re: PARADISE LOST
Shallowthing wrote:
I still think there is a real argument for them changing their name when One Second was released.

Oh for fucks sake, I get so fed up hearing people saying this sort of crap. So a band didn't spend their entire existence plowing one furrow, so fucking what? I guess Kreator should have changed their name when they did 'Renewal' and again when they did 'Endorama'. Get a fucking grip. A band name is a valuable commodity, it is not to be changed at the drop of a hat just because some dick on an internet forum doesn't like the fact that you've matured and slightly changed your musical direction. We should celebrate bands who change and experiment and try new things, not berate them. The bands who should feel our wrath are the ones who peddle the same safe shit everytime they bring an album out. It would be an interesting experience to discover Paradise Lost now and have a varied selection of albums to listen to, much better than getting into (insert name of band who have released ten same sounding albums here, lets say Obituary for the sake of argument). Bands who don't change rarely get better. That's the real cruncher.

Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:53 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

ULTRANumb wrote:
A band name is a valuable commodity

Yes. Which is why attaching it to something different to what it is known for is a bit dishonest. If the Young family made a brostep album, should it be released with the AC/DC name on it?

Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:55 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

ULTRANumb wrote:
? Overall, SOFAD isn't a very good album, is it. Black Celebration / Music for the Masses / Violator are the best ones.

You have expressed a lot of inconsistent opinions about them. that has been my experience.

As for P.L changing their sound, it's true, but they did it with every album practically .its' just that One Second and Host were far more radical.

'One Second' was a more original album than 'Host' though, and that's why i prefer it. and i think both albums have trace elements of their sound at least, just expressed in a slightly different way.

As for the P.L/D.M comparisons, because that is bound to come up sooner or later, the only one that doesn't hear the similarity is Mali. and P.L never wrote a song in that style as good as 'Walking In My Shoes', or 'Useless', or 'Home', and the list goes on. 'So Much Is Lost' isn't even half as good as those songs i just mentioned.

Last edited by Stat_Rad on Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:03 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Shallowthing wrote:
ULTRANumb wrote:
A band name is a valuable commodity

Yes. Which is why attaching it to something different to what it is known for is a bit dishonest. If the Young family made a brostep album, should it be released with the AC/DC name on it?

Has anyone done that really though? Don't you at least find it interesting when a band tries something different? So maybe you end up not liking it, so what? Listen to something else. The Elder is a good album, is it a KISS album? No, but so what. Reality check, if it didn't have the Kiss logo on it it would have sold three copies instead of half a million. So some people didn't like it, so what. Does it matter? These days a lot of Kiss fans have come to appreciate it, and 'I' and 'The Oath' are considered minor classics. The same goes for Unmasked, and as I said an awful lot of Paradise Lost fans like Say Just Words and One Second.
It seems to me that you want bands to form when they are seventeen and say, for the next twenty or thirty years we are going to sound like 'this'. Whereas I would rather bands incorporate new influences and try something new now and again, maybe even complete reinvention. After all, musicians are supposed to be artists aren't they, and artists go through different 'periods' don't they?

Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:04 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

^^depends how cynical you want to be about it. Some have argued that all P.L have done since 'Icon' is follow trends. When Metallica and 'goth' were big they released Icon and Draconian Times. When electro was big they released One Second and Host. When metal came back in style again, they released X, Requiem and the last one.

Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:07 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Stat_Rad wrote:
ULTRANumb wrote:
? Overall, SOFAD isn't a very good album, is it. Black Celebration / Music for the Masses / Violator are the best ones.

You have expressed a lot of inconsistent opinions about them. that has been my experience.

Have I? How do you remember all this stuff, do you have a little database or something? My feelings about Depeche Mode change with my mood, sometimes I think they are brilliant, sometimes I think they are less so. That much is true. When I first heard SOFAD I thought it was shit, later I have come to appreciate some of it (In Your Room is amazing), but overall it is not one of their best.

Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:08 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Stat_Rad wrote:
^^depends how cynical you want to be about it. Some have argued that all P.L have done since 'Icon' is follow trends. When Metallica and 'goth' were big they released Icon and Draconian Times. When electro was big they released One Second and Host. When metal came back in style again, they released X, Requiem and the last one.

Except weren't PL always hailed as leaders by Terrorizer? They did something and that became popular, wasn't Gothic really big after 'DT'? It was 96-7 when Rotting Christ went Goth and Moonspell started getting big.

Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:09 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

ULTRANumb wrote:
Except weren't PL always hailed as leaders by Terrorizer? They did something and that became popular, wasn't Gothic really big after 'DT'? It was 96-7 when Rotting Christ went Goth and Moonspell started getting big.

i don't necessarily agree with this view myself, just saying!

The return-to-metal-argument-because-it's-fashionable argument is odd since P.L's style of metal isn't popular anymore. Doom may be trendy again, but P.L's style of doom/goth doesn't really fit anywhere in today's scene, and it's not quite retro enough to appeal to fans they lost 15 years ago either.

From a business point of view, it's a lose-lose scenario.

Last edited by Stat_Rad on Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:12 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

ULTRANumb wrote:
Has anyone done that really though? Don't you at least find it interesting when a band tries something different? So maybe you end up not liking it, so what? Listen to something else.

You do realise that I really like One Second and Host, yes?

I don't think anyone cares what KISS fans think, seeing as they have lost the plot so severely that it couldn't attract their attention even by shouting and jumping up and down waving its arms.

Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:13 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Shallowthing wrote:
ULTRANumb wrote:
Has anyone done that really though? Don't you at least find it interesting when a band tries something different? So maybe you end up not liking it, so what? Listen to something else.

You do realise that I really like One Second and Host, yes?

No I didn't. So that makes your argument even more hard to understand, you think everytime a band wants to do something different they need to change their name so that their original fans don't feel cheated? What sort of bollocks is that. Well I guess if Metallica would have changed their name after Justice that would have protected their 'legacy', except there would be a band with a different name featuring the members of Metallica recording different/shit (delete as applicable) music and everyone will say oh yeah, they were great when they were called Metallica.

Quote:
I don't think anyone cares what KISS fans think, seeing as they have lost the plot so severely that it couldn't attract their attention even by shouting and jumping up and down waving its arms.

They may have lost the plot a long time ago, but I bet Paradise Lost would wish to have as many fans as Kiss STILL have! Besides, Kiss is not the issue, my point stands.

Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:34 pm
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

I really haven't noticed this.

Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:58 pm
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

lolz at PL/ MDB /Anathema not being Old Fart Brigade musics.

Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:03 pm
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Another epic Sarcasm Failure for the Tez forum. It's pretty clear that Dee wasn't being entirely serious when he called them "happening new bands", you bunch of sillies.

Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:06 pm
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Painkiller wrote:
It's pretty clear that Dee wasn't being entirely serious when he called them "happening new bands", you bunch of sillies.

Yup, but he was serious about the "Old Fart" bit which was the source of the lolz at him.

Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:10 pm
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

I didn't think he was, I assumed he was parodying AMJ's ranting. Maybe I'm giving him more credit than he deserves, but I assumed the whole post was sarcastic.

Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:42 pm
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

In this thread Morf and Robit perpetuate Irish stereotypes.

Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:54 pm
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

That Paddies can see through bs? That one? Ok.

Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:09 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

I've never heard that before.

ULTRANumb wrote:
No I didn't. So that makes your argument even more hard to understand

How can I make this any more simple for you, Mali? Must be all that rotten undischarged spunk backing up into your brain. One Second and Host are good albums. I'm just not sure you can justifiably call them good Paradise Lost albums.

Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:21 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Classic discussion about great band!
@UltraNumb, some your posts make me feel as Batman!About metallica shit\cool music by different Band name. Really psychological and clear points of a view. :)

@M0rf)))I didn't think what talking about PL\Anathema\MDB bands (or about any other cool\good\not bad\favourite bands with popular\or classic songs in different styles of music) are problem for the forum.So, you just really behave like dick.

@steeve, PL my fave band, and i crearly love all what they do (still and always, not like many others bands wich sounds catchy and "awesome"but since next year dissapeared to nowhere or so.) You could do and say about PL or another band you like no more everything you want to. Sometimes "crap" are really crap, so, nevermind. I think, you would agree, what PL at least better than Linkin Park in each reason. Do you?

@Shallowthing.I could be wrong, but, i think rate Faith Divides Us like 1 fist album is absolutely freakin mistake

Thats all for now

Common, give yourself a chance!
https://music.yandex.ru/users/lecter-zador/playlists/3

Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:31 pm
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Shallowthing wrote:
rotten undischarged spunk

Band name!

Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:46 pm
Reply to topic   [ 1550 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 78  Next