www.Terrorizer.com - View topic - The Paradise Lost Merry-Go-Round thread
TERRORIZER FRONT PAGE
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:06 am

Reply to topic  [ 1457 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 69, 70, 71, 72, 73
 The Paradise Lost Merry-Go-Round thread 
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

Post Re: The Paradise Lost Merry-Go-Round thread
FlockaJawaka wrote:
christ knows how you got 72 pages' worth from this dreary lot

When 'The Plague Within' came out Paradise Lost were white hot again.

Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:49 pm
Opinionated Loudmouth. Perkele!

handmadegod wrote:
Lost When The Plague again came Within out were white Paradise hot.

What do you mean?

Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:26 am
Profile WWW
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

FlockaJawaka wrote:
handmadegod wrote:
Lost When The Plague again came Within out were white Paradise hot.

What do you mean?

The bands popularity shot up from the record and that translated to the forum.

Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:47 pm

:D brilliant

Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:22 pm
Profile WWW
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

handmadegod wrote:
When 'The Plague Within' cameout Paradise Lost were white hot again.

I don't know where that impression comes from. It only seems to be perpetuated on this forum as far as I can see & I guess that's not too surprising given that the band seem to have an unusually strong following here. From what I saw "The Plague Within" wasn't received any better than the previous few records overall.

Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:12 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Op, that's because we're in Australia bro. PL have never been a hyped band here. Only briefly during the Draconian Times period.

The Plague Within charted higher internationally than their previous few albums.

Medusa got a bit of attention too, but its reception was less positive than Plague.

Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:57 pm
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

What he said ^

Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:15 am
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Are you saying that "The Plague Within" is regarded as some sort of classic? Because I would dispute that. Sales don't generally equate to a band being "white hot". We certainly don't say that Metallica, Disturbed or Five Finger Death Punch are white hot & they sell by the truckload. I was speaking from a purely critical point of view & the fact that I'm located in Australia makes no difference to my opinion whatsoever because I don't associate within local metal circles these days. My metal experience is purely online. The reason that Paradise Lost were hyped in Australia during the "Draconian Times" era was because both "Draconian Times" & "Icon" were widely regarded as genuinely classic albums. They haven't released another since as far as I'm concerned.

Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:27 am
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

Only time can tell a classic. I have no idea how the record will be remembered in 10 or 20 years from now. My guess is that all though it will be looked back at fondly it won't have the same aura about it as 'Gothic' does or even the 2 you have mentioned.

Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:49 am
Climate Control
Climate Control

opaline wrote:
"Draconian Times" & "Icon" were widely regarded as genuinely classic albums. They haven't released another since as far as I'm concerned.

This. Nothing post-DT is even remotely essential, is anywhere near that level of quality, or warrants regular listens.

Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:15 am
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

handmadegod wrote:
My guess is that all though it will be looked back at fondly it won't have the same aura about it as 'Gothic' does or even the 2 you have mentioned.

My point exactly. "The Plague Within" will be looked back on positively without being regarded as anything too special. That's very much how the previous few albums will be viewed too in my opinion so that's why I'm struggling with the idea that "The Plague Within" might be regarded as an obvious return to form.

Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:31 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

opaline wrote:
Are you saying that "The Plague Within" is regarded as some sort of classic? Because I would dispute that. Sales don't generally equate to a band being "white hot"..

Not a classic at all. It was hyped because it was marketed as their big return to doom/death, so it generated more interest than their previous 2 or 3 albums as a direct result of that.

Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:57 am

I had Icon and Draconian Times on copied tapes in the 90's. I just shrugged, didn't get it. Wasn't for me, as a lot of things weren't, fair enough..

I later went back in the YouTube age and listened to all their records.. and a few again the last few days. I didn't like their pioneering death-doom material, but I appreciate its seminal nature that influenced a lot of music that I do like. The rest leaves me so cold, and not in a good goffy can-envision-self-as-vampire-bat sort of way. To me it sounds like a band that had an identity, who just fell apart in their intitial convictions in post-Black Album, pre-Far Beyond Driven, Grunge-inflicted world and went "uhhhhh, ok... well, er, I guess this then", in a mish mash of metallic pop dirge sewn together by a certain post-industrial northern British mood/aesthetic. I just hate the straight-ass drumming, the pace of it. It's a deflated, soft sort of sound to me. I think it is fair to say I have failed to become enchanted by their visions. Plus no-one I know in real life likes Paradise Lost AFAIK, which is or isn't strange. I think of PL as quite a generational band too. I'd be surprised if anybody who was a big fan was any younger than early 30's.

I really don't get Our Brian Died either, I saw them a few years ago and they were so not what I like, hah. I watched the whole set and I just couldn't stand them. I hold them in a sort of similar vein, I do like slow heavy music, but the crushing angry, diarrhea'd from the speaker kind, not the kind whos currency is songwriting per se (like PL) or theatre or imagery (like MDB).

I tried. Definitely none of my business! apart from in a forum where I can be a bit of an ass about it and feel okish.

Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:56 am
Profile WWW
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

FlockaJawaka wrote:
II think of PL as quite a generational band too. I'd be surprised if anybody who was a big fan was any younger than early 30's.

Except for Eastern Euros like Tragic Idol ;)

The last two albums seemed to introduce them to a new audience to an extent, but whether they stick around is another matter.

Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:08 am
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

One things for sure, only the roaches and this thread will outlast the nuclear fallout.

Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:04 pm
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

Seems like a Paradise Lost will drop a new album in 2019.

Taken from http://metalassault.com/2018/10/16/para ... niversary/

Coming back to the present, you have this North American tour. What does the band have in the works after that?

We’ve got a few shows scattered about, and towards the end of the year we’re looking at playing in Greece again. We’ve been there many times, in fact I think we’ve played in Greece more than any other band (laughs). I think we’re playing Tel Aviv in Israel again. But we’re also starting to think about putting together another album. The album-tour cycle seems to go around pretty fast!

Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:09 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

So thats why RC went through a gothic period!

Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:11 pm
Reply to topic   [ 1457 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 69, 70, 71, 72, 73