www.Terrorizer.com - View topic - The Paradise Lost Merry-Go-Round thread
TERRORIZER FRONT PAGE
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:15 pm

Reply to topic  [ 1487 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 71, 72, 73, 74, 75  Next
 The Paradise Lost Merry-Go-Round thread 
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Post Re: The Paradise Lost Merry-Go-Round thread
There are plenty of people here that could answer that one mate :D

Having said that, the consensus on the merits of PL albums tends to break down after Draconian Times.

If you are interested in their non-metal period, check out One Second. If you want metal albums after the 90's, check out Tragic Idol or Faith Divides Us Death Unites Us. If you want metal with poppier structures, check out their self titled from 2005.

The Plague Within is quite good, but it didn't have much staying power for me. Some fans love it though.

Sun May 19, 2019 8:11 am
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

The Plague Within has its moments, but to me it sometimes just doesn't sound like a Paradise Lost album, minus Nick's voice.

Sun May 19, 2019 8:45 am
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Stat_Rad wrote:

Having said that, the consensus on the merits of PL albums tends to break down after Draconian Times.

If you are interested in their non-metal period, check out One Second. If you want metal albums after the 90's, check out Tragic Idol or Faith Divides Us Death Unites Us. If you want metal with poppier structures, check out their self titled from 2005.

The Plague Within is quite good, but it didn't have much staying power for me. Some fans love it though.

Well, Icon was always my favorite and my introduction to the band so the two albums that sandwiched that one were a nice surprise.

I do have some interest in the non-metal period because of some songs from Metal Hammer comps that my wife liked so I might just go album by album.

But it sounds like if I want to keep in a similar vein to the Icon period, sounds like you're saying Tragic and Faith is the next step?

Sun May 19, 2019 4:18 pm
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

Pretty much so, yes. Both are quite more modernized Paradise Lost albums even though I'd argue Tragic Idol has some nods to the band's 1993/1995 era. ''Honesty in Death'' does really have a retro PL feel for instance, even if the production and vocals aren't quite the same.

This is one of my favorite (modern) PL tracks:

Hope that clears something out for you.

Sun May 19, 2019 6:46 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Green Man wrote:
Stat_Rad wrote:

Well, Icon was always my favorite and my introduction to the band so the two albums that sandwiched that one were a nice surprise.

I do have some interest in the non-metal period because of some songs from Metal Hammer comps that my wife liked so I might just go album by album.

But it sounds like if I want to keep in a similar vein to the Icon period, sounds like you're saying Tragic and Faith is the next step?

Tragic Idol is the closest they came to the Icon/DT style, but as Colin said it has a more modern updated sound.

Mon May 20, 2019 12:46 am
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Icon was always my favorite album but I think Medusa is their best of the later ones & in some ways better than Icon. FDUDUU was my favorite of those before Medusa. TPW has its moments but the doomy songs are too MDB for me. Believe In Nothing is the best of their clean singing era. What I love about PL are all the albums have highlights, even my least favorite ones eg. SOL or TI.

Mon May 20, 2019 2:23 pm
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

blacklorre wrote:
Icon was always my favorite album but I think Medusa is their best of the later ones & in some ways better than Icon. FDUDUU was my favorite of those before Medusa. TPW has its moments but the doomy songs are too MDB for me. Believe In Nothing is the best of their clean singing era. What I love about PL are all the albums have highlights, even my least favorite ones eg. SOL or TI.

I agree that Medusa is the best of their later ones but in ways better than Icon? With the exception of ''Christendom'' and ''Deus Misereatur'' it's pretty much flawless.

From the non metal period I stick to One Second nowadays.

Mon May 20, 2019 2:38 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

I guess its just cos Icon sounds too 90's compared to Medusa. True Belief is skippable if you heard it too many times. Deus Misreater is like Sepultura with female vocals but I love it! Dying Freedom is the best song. Going to relisten cos I havent for ages.

Last edited by blacklorre on Thu May 30, 2019 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon May 20, 2019 2:46 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Listened to TON's Dead Again. Theres a song that sounds just like PL. So thats why they did The Longest Winter!

Mon May 20, 2019 3:12 pm
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

The ''hits'' on Icon are a lot better than those of Shades of God and Draconian Times. ''True Belief'' was my introduction to PL and I still love it.

Mon May 20, 2019 3:25 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

blacklorre wrote:
I guess its just cos Icon sounds too 90's compared to Medusa. Some songs are just accaptable eg. Collossal Rains & Poison. True Belief is skippable if you heard it too many times. Deus Misreater is like Sepultura with female vocals but I love it! Dying Freedom is the best song. Going to relisten cos I havent for ages.

Being sick of an album is a bit different from saying it isn't as good as a more recent release that sounds 'newer'.

Colin040 wrote:
From the non metal period I stick to One Second nowadays.

Do you like Symbol of Life? I find myself returning to it occasionally. I still enjoy it.

One Second is clearly the best album from their wilderness years though, and it was really the promise of something that never quite happened. i.e PL transforming into a great pop-rock band.

I like Host, but it was a huge disappointment in 1999. I reckon One Second should have been their first album with EMI. Might have been a hit too if Music For Nations had any idea what to do with it.

Sat May 25, 2019 12:20 pm
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

I'm not a fan of SoL - Nick really developed the annoying habit of sounding nasal on that album and it turns me off a lot. Musically it's probably the least offensive after OS though.

Sat May 25, 2019 2:07 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Been checking out some of these other albums and so far Medusa has sounded the best.

Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:03 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

2/3 of PL are Strigoi!

Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:35 pm
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

I'll check it out but I'm not expecting much. Vallenfyre bored me.

Anyone else surprised there's no interviews from the band from this year floating on the web? The most recent I found was with Nick Holmes in October 2018 I believe, where he mentioned it was probably time to work on a new album.

Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:10 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Cant find a song yet - I'm also not the biggest fan of Vallenfyre or Bloodbath but I will give this a listen off course! Seems there are many bands of the same name too.

Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:12 pm
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

I just don't think Greg is an ideal death metal guitarist, you know? It's also the reason why Lost Paradise feels rather so-so to me. I dig the raw atmosphere of it and the vocals are great but it's just missing knock out riffs.

Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:21 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

I think Greg & Nick are ideal for PL so I cant really listen to them in other bands without wanting to listen to PL. That is the problem with side-projects.

Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:39 pm
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

So apparently Greg (and Nick?) is/are working on a new album - though no details yet. Apparently there's also a biography of the band in the works - again, no details yet.

Full interview;

Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:17 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

A biography? They have had an interesting career for a metal band, but they are not interesting enough people for me to read that. I might just skip to the wilderness period after DT :D

No new album until 2020 or so is fine by me.

Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:01 am
Reply to topic   [ 1487 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 71, 72, 73, 74, 75  Next