www.Terrorizer.com - View topic - Immortal
TERRORIZER FRONT PAGE
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:18 am

Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Immortal 
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Post Immortal
Picked up a copy of "Pure Holocaust" today, I like it!

Anyone else on here like Immortal?

PS: Is it true one of them got hypothermia from posing topless in the cold?

Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:32 pm
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Post Re: Immortal
Trigg wrote:
Anyone else on here like Immortal?

Some, yes.

Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:44 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

I find they range from not bad to a bit dire.
Their latest two really haven't impressed me at all. The earlier stuff is more up my street, but I still find it to be of a lesser quality than their peers at the time. I think At the Heart of Winter is probably my favourite but it's been a while since I listened. But I feel it's also the point they started to move away, or at least water down the black metal element of their sound.
I didn't bother watching them at Bloodstock, in fact I don't actually have much of a recollection of what I did do that night other than not watch them.

Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:49 pm
Profile WWW
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Immortal are the business.

Personally, I have to disagree with Anni when he says their early work is of a lesser quality than their peers, I would rank it as highly as any second wave BM band.

Pure Holocaust and At The Heart Of Winter are best IMO, but they've not done a bad album really, so don't believe anyone who says only a particular era or album is worth a listen.

I really like them live too, especially on a smaller stage, where they create a great atmosphere.

Check out Abbath's other band I if you haven't heard them, their album 'Between Two Worlds' is a great mix of black metal vibes and classic heavy metal, massive tracks. The Demonaz album 'March Of The Norse' is well worth a listen too.

Not sure about the hypothermia thing. That's what Valfar from Windir died of though isn't it?

Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:59 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

I'm with Anni on this. I've spent the last 10 years getting copies of and then deleting Immortal albums. I like them when I listen to them, but I find them disposable. I keep trying as I feel I'm missing something as there are moments of genius, and, yes, "I" are quality, but after a while you just have to accept if I'd loved 'em, I wouldn't keep deleting them.

3 fist band, IMO

Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:06 pm
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Demonaz, weren't it. He got tendonitis I think. Common enough amongst guitarists innit.

Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:11 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Battles in the North
Sons of Northern Darkness
All Shall Fall

Top albums.
They were great at Bloodstock last year, even with the PA doing its best to make a mess of things.

Also, Demonaz's solo album, March of the Norse is excellent. Some real Bathory worship going on there.

Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:13 pm
Profile WWW
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Immortal are entertaining, see 'em live post reunion and the band know it is all about the show (compared to the more po-faced performances pre-split).

But not a band I listen to the albums much nowadays. If I do it is the early stuff

Super Trooper
Super Trooper

These new up-and-coming bands "Dark Throne" and "Emperor" seem interesting in this sort of style, keep an eye out for them.

Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

robitusson wrote:
Demonaz, weren't it. He got tendonitis I think. Common enough amongst guitarists innit.

it's not just regular tedonitis though, because that eventually goes away. He has fucked up his arm muscles or something.

Immortal's best album is At The Heart Of Winter i think. That is assential. Pure Holocaust is great too, and i enjoyed Sons Of Northern Darkness.

the rest are patchy imo.

Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:18 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Sorry, At the Heart was their second to worst album, Damned in Black is their worst.

Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:21 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Chronic tendinitis, it is a more permanent ailment, tendinitis would only last a few months at most if allowed to heal.

Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:25 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Tomochin wrote:
Sorry, At the Heart was their second to worst album, Damned in Black is their worst.

Mentalist! It has 'Withstand the Fall of Time' on it which is not only chock-full of tasty riffs but has one of the best songtitles ever.

Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:30 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Ed Blackadder wrote:
Tomochin wrote:

Mentalist! It has 'Withstand the Fall of Time' on it which is not only chock-full of tasty riffs but has one of the best songtitles ever.

Only blastbeat era Immortal. At the Heart was a dilution of Immortal, I mean, they started to write actual songs for fucks sake

Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:36 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Pure Holocaust was the second black metal album I had ever listened to back when I was fourteen, and it was immediately overshadowed rightfully so by De mysteriis dom Sathanas. The band have always been hit or miss for me with greater bands like Gorgoroth destroying them in the riff department, and truthfully only some songs catching my attention.

Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:37 pm
Profile YIM
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

i really really try to like Immortal. Diabolical Fullmoon is my favourite i think, but i find them all a little bit 'meh'...the riffs are too samey. they are great live though.

Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:37 pm
Profile WWW
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Immortal are probably one one of my favourite conventional black metal bands.

Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:37 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

No one has mentioned Battles in the North, easily their best album, it's got BLASHYRKH on it for fucks sake! Also 'At the Stormy Gates of Mist', the first Black Metal song I heard, which is immense. Pure Holocaust is good 'proper' BM too. I remember buying it in London and then going to Highgate Cemetary, and walking fucking miles from the tube to get there. At some point I stopped to look at the cover of the album and noticed the track 'Eternal Years on the Paths to the Cemetary Gates' which made me chuckle. True Story.
Anyway, Immortal, seen themn about 4 times in the 90s I think, last time they sucked, really really boring (that was the Sons of Northern Darkness tour), they were okay on the Damned in Black tour, great on the Blizzard Beasts tour (although that album was sucky) and IMMENSE on the Battles in the North tour (supporting Morbid Angel).
SOND is very very overrated in my opinion, I think All Shall Fall is much better.

Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:26 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

ULTRANumb wrote:
No one has mentioned Battles in the North, easily their best album, it's got BLASHYRKH on it for fucks sake!

Battles In The North is a one dimensional yawnfest, that's why. Sounded good at the time, but it's about as enjoyable as listening to nails on a chalkboard these days.

ULTRANumb wrote:
SOND is very very overrated in my opinion, I think All Shall Fall is much better

yeah right!! Those Gibsons resonant with the spirt of the ages on SOND! All Shall Fall is just flatly produced Bathory worship 70% of the time, and 30% rehash of their own material.

All Shall Fall was a colossal disappointment.

Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:33 pm
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

M0rf))) wrote:
I need to buy more Immortal.

No. No, you don't.

Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:37 pm
Reply to topic   [ 83 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next