www.Terrorizer.com - View topic - Neurosis : Honor Found In Decay
TERRORIZER FRONT PAGE
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:44 am

Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Neurosis : Honor Found In Decay 
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Post Neurosis : Honor Found In Decay
Thoughts? Outstanding if you ask me, this year is ending with some heavy hitters! This has some of the best Neurosis stuff in a while on it.

Stuff for sale :
http://www.discogs.com/seller/yailbloor

Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:25 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Post Re: Neurosis : Honor Found In Decay
Wasn't blown away with the first listen, but only heard it once. As with Was, enjoyed it. The needle flicked between 3 and 4 fists, but will await further immersion before deciding.

Neurosis live >>>>>>> Neurosis on record

Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:37 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Gonna wait til my CD copy arrives in the post, I'm old-fashioned, plus my laptop acts like a cunt for days afterwards every time I download something.

I'm going to place a bet that the chief complaint for this album (apart from 'more of the same', which almost every band ever is guilty of) will be Albini's production. He's perfect in some cases (the Arabrot album last year was fucking teeth-rattling) but Neurosis need someone who's not adverse to layering on principle.

Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:24 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Dealer In Facts wrote:
Enjoyed my first listen. Nothing new and very formulaic, but enjoyed it nonetheless.

Neurosis dont have a formula. They have a specific sound and style that explores moods and textures in a loosely metal based.medium.

they are not Ac/Dc.

Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:45 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

AC/DC don't have a "formula" any more than Neurosis or any other band with a recognizable sound or approach to making music. They just do what they do, and are comfortable within that. They come up with riffs and arrangements, just like anyone else, and they happen to have a distinctive style. Just because its more traditionally rock n roll and has greater mass appeal doesn't make it any less valid, or any more considered and formulaic.

Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:20 pm
Climate Control
Climate Control

Clint Ruin wrote:
I'm going to place a bet that the chief complaint for this album (apart from 'more of the same', which almost every band ever is guilty of) will be Albini's production.

1. "More of the same" - check.
2. "Albini's production" - check. To be fair, it's a better job than they've had with him to date, but it's still fairly flat sounding. The vocals, in particular.

Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:42 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Aye, as I said elsewhere, it just makes me yearn for big, thick, oozing, concrete-slabs of guitars in places and more woolly-mammothian vocals. Just seems a bit "thin" overall, soundwise.

Overall, I have favourable vibes for it after first couple of listens, but wouldn't go as far as to say I love it.

Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:30 pm
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

The Wretch wrote:
AC/DC don't have a "formula" any more than Neurosis or any other band with a recognizable sound or approach to making music. They just do what they do, and are comfortable within that. They come up with riffs and arrangements, just like anyone else, and they happen to have a distinctive style. Just because its more traditionally rock n roll and has greater mass appeal doesn't make it any less valid, or any more considered and formulaic.

Word.

Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:38 pm
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

When's this out to buy?

Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:39 pm
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

amazon says 29/10

Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:08 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

of course Ac/dc. have a formula. their riffs amd songs are structured in a very predictable way. they simply play to the crowd, and that certainly makes it less valid to me, even if it is enjoyable.

Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:31 am
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

The only "formula" AC/DC have is rock + roll = awesome. Suburban ideas about things like progression and validity are for the people at the back.

Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:55 am
Climate Control
Climate Control

It's back to Eye... time which isn't bad in itself and there's one or two suprises for them (female vocals???) but it's same old, same old essentially.

It may be tough to say it but they may have ran out of ideas.

You, because i have always wondered what it would feel like to get run-over by a bus.

Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:44 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

FeedMeVibration wrote:
I don't dislike the sound on this one, but still think Billy Anderson's swamp of a production on Through Silver In Blood was close to alchemical. Sometimes Albini's absolute clarity doesn't work - The Eye of Every Storm being a notable exception, where the material seemed a perfect fit.

yeh because Eye was stark as fuck!

i didnt mindbthe sound for Times Of Grace but Given To The Rising could have been more layered. They probably should have got Anderson to do that one.

Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:40 am
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

One full listen, have listened to the first two tracks several times, both are five fisters.

Initial reaction: better than GTTR and ASTNS, could be on a par with EOES, the album which it most closely resembles. The production is greatly improved, more substantial and multi-layered with different textures going on in the background that give depth and and an eerie atmosphere.

I like the quasi-folky elements, the album almost sounds like ancient, primeval blues. Like Steev I can't help but wish that the heavy bits were heavier. The whispery, old man vocals are bit annoying and overused too, as they have been for the last 10 years.

At least 4 fists.

Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:53 am
Gimp
Gimp

i heard these guys were vegans too. so im downloading all their albums for nothing off blogspots.
i refuse to give money to vegans.

Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:39 am
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Twat.

Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:35 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Dreadful Dr Dee wrote:
One full listen, have listened to the first two tracks several times, both are five fisters.

Initial reaction: better than GTTR and ASTNS, could be on a par with EOES, the album which it most closely resembles. The production is greatly improved, more substantial and multi-layered with different textures going on in the background that give depth and and an eerie atmosphere.

I like the quasi-folky elements, the album almost sounds like ancient, primeval blues. Like Steev I can't help but wish that the heavy bits were heavier. The whispery, old man vocals are bit annoying and overused too, as they have been for the last 10 years.

At least 4 fists.

I've only listened to around 4 songs, but that sounds like a fair assessment to me, at least judging by what i've heard.

I don't think Neurosis have released less than a 4 fist album since Souls At Zero though(the Jarboe collabo notwithstanding), but GITTR was a low 4. Ditto TSTNS. Both were unfortunate enough to follow colossal works in their discography, and obviously suffered in comparison. It's testament to the sheer quality of their output that a low 4 is considered a disappointment.

EOES was 4.5. it's top 3 Neurosis in my view.

When I'm in the mood for Neurosis, which admittedly isn't often, the claims of them being overrated just recede into the background.

At their best, Neurosis are hard to fuck with. If you don't like Neurosis, then i guess you just don't like that sound. although it does kind of puzzle me when people claim that Neurosis are boring but like several of their imitators.

But then again, maybe it shouldn't.

Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:32 am
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Anyone who says Isis et al are better than Neurosis is a kiddy fiddler.

Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:16 pm
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Dreadful Dr Dee wrote:
Anyone who says Isis et al are better than Neurosis is a kiddy fiddler.

Absolutely this. The second you think that you're automatically a cunt forever.

Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:42 pm
Reply to topic   [ 102 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next