www.Terrorizer.com - View topic - The Iron Maiden thread
TERRORIZER FRONT PAGE
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:48 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2675 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134  Next
 The Iron Maiden thread 
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

Post Re: The Iron Maiden thread
robitusson wrote:
The verses are really tuneless on Loneliness. Wasted years is the only track approaching 4 fists on SIT.

1. Caught Somewhere In Time - 3 fists
2. Wasted Years - 4 fists
3. Sea Of Madness - 3 fists
4. Heaven Can Wait - 1 fist
5. The Loneliness Of The Long Distance Runner - 2 fists
6. Stranger In A Strange Land - 3 fists
7. Deja-Vu - 2 fists
8. Alexander The Great - 3 fists

That is wackiness personified. For a start, Wasted is a 5 fist track. Stranger is a at worst a 4 fist track. And you are at least 2 fists shy on Heaven.....and so on.

Last edited by doomrider on Sat May 13, 2017 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat May 13, 2017 10:00 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

robitusson wrote:
The verses are really tuneless on Loneliness. Wasted years is the only track approaching 4 fists on SIT.

1. Caught Somewhere In Time - 3 fists
2. Wasted Years - 4 fists
3. Sea Of Madness - 3 fists
4. Heaven Can Wait - 1 fist
5. The Loneliness Of The Long Distance Runner - 2 fists
6. Stranger In A Strange Land - 3 fists
7. Deja-Vu - 2 fists
8. Alexander The Great - 3 fists

Does your hearing aid battery need changing Robit? Those are all 5s.

I am Deth!!! Fukk You!!! 我死了!你他媽的!나는 죽음 이다! 엿 먹어 !私は死です!あなたをファック!أنا الموت! اللعنة عليك !Я - смерть! Пошел на хуй !איך בין טויט! באַרען איר!میں موت ہوں! تم بھاڑ میں جاؤ !Olen kuolema ! Haista vittu !Είμαι ο θάνατος ! Γαμήσου !Yr wyf marwolaeth ! Ffyc chi!Ek is die dood! Fok jou !मैं मृत्यु हूं! फक यू!

"Anyone who says a bad fuck is better than a good wank has obviously never had either." - my mate Anthony

Metalcore- parting morons from their money since ages ago.

Sat May 13, 2017 10:24 pm
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

robitusson wrote:
Wasted years is the only track approaching 4 fists on SIT.

Wacky, wacky, Rob.

1. Caught Somewhere In Time - 5 fists
2. Wasted Years - 5 fists
3. Sea Of Madness - 4 fists
4. Heaven Can Wait - 5 fists
5. The Loneliness Of The Long Distance Runner - 4 fists
6. Stranger In A Strange Land - 5 fists
7. Deja-Vu - 4 fists
8. Alexander The Great - 5 fists

There's a reason why it's one of Maiden's best two or three albums.

Sun May 14, 2017 12:07 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Depends on who you ask. I don't think most fans would rate it above Number, Powerslave or Seven. Its reputation did improve with time though. It seemed underrated in the late 80s/early 90s, now it is kind of overrated, along with Seventh Son.

Heaven Can Wait has a dodgy chorus, but I really like Wasted Years and Sea of Madness. Alexander The Great is very good, but it is no Powerslave or Rime.

EDIT: Changed rhyme to rime.

Last edited by Stat_Rad on Sun May 14, 2017 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun May 14, 2017 3:00 am
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Stat_Rad wrote:
Depends on who you ask. I don't think most fans would rate it above Number, Powerslave or Seven.

I would. Only marginally better than SSOASS, but better.

I am Deth!!! Fukk You!!! 我死了!你他媽的!나는 죽음 이다! 엿 먹어 !私は死です!あなたをファック!أنا الموت! اللعنة عليك !Я - смерть! Пошел на хуй !איך בין טויט! באַרען איר!میں موت ہوں! تم بھاڑ میں جاؤ !Olen kuolema ! Haista vittu !Είμαι ο θάνατος ! Γαμήσου !Yr wyf marwolaeth ! Ffyc chi!Ek is die dood! Fok jou !मैं मृत्यु हूं! फक यू!

"Anyone who says a bad fuck is better than a good wank has obviously never had either." - my mate Anthony

Metalcore- parting morons from their money since ages ago.

Sun May 14, 2017 6:29 am
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Cosmic Equilibrium wrote:
Best two! :lol: Indeed, there is a reason. Sentimental, branded fans. They are in love with the idea of Maiden. It seems they aren't really bothered what the music is like as long as it ticks a few standard boxes and the spikey logo is on the cover and all the rest.

Deaf Freddie McDeaf can hear Somewhere In Time was a big step down for Maiden. They were burnt out from a shitload of touring - and they tried something new but there were mixed results. Simple as that. The synths were an awful addition, the new sound was patchy, they started repeating themselves and the songs lost a lot of their previous punch and verve. It was McDonaldized Maiden.

No, it's not total shit, but it just does not compare to their classic material - no way. There's nothing even close to 5 fists on it, nevermind overall.

Vim Fuego wrote:
Those are all 5s.

Prime example right here. :roll: (Although I honestly can't tell if you're being entirely serious.)

For example, there is no cotton-picking way on God's green earth that Alexander the Great is anywhere near something like Rime as Statters says. I cannot believe that anyone honestly thinks those 2 songs are really comparable quality.

Last edited by robitusson on Sun May 14, 2017 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun May 14, 2017 7:21 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Maiden fans do tend to be rather one-eyed, especially when it comes to the Dickinson fronted albums, but the dissenting voices are clearly heard nowadays. Perhaps not on here, but I did notice that around the time of A Matter of Life and Death more fans were expressing their disappointment openly and without fear of reprisal.

Brave New World had vocal detractors at first, but that died down relatively quickly after the dust settled and then it became ridiculously overpraised in the ensuing years. It was far more common to hear negative opinions about their new albums after the mid 00's though. Book of Souls was not universally lauded by fans to my knowledge.

As for Somewhere In Time, I think it does have a certain special something about it. It doesn't sound tired or thrown together to my ears, but it is no 5 fister, that's for damn sure.

Last edited by Stat_Rad on Sun May 14, 2017 8:30 am, edited 2 times in total.

Sun May 14, 2017 8:25 am
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

robitusson wrote:
Best two! :lol: Indeed, the reason is sentimental, branded fans. They are in love with the idea of Maiden. It seems they aren't really bothered what the music is like as long as it ticks a few standard boxes and the spikey logo is on the cover and all the rest.

Deaf Freddie McDeaf can hear Somewhere In Time was a big step down for Maiden. They were burnt out from a shitload of touring - and they tried something new but there were mixed results. Simple as that. The synths were an awful addition, the new sound was patchy, they started repeating themselves and the songs lost a lot of their previous punch and verve. It's not total shit, but it just does not compare to their classic material - no way. There's nothing even close to 5 fists on it, nevermind overall.

Vim Fuego wrote:
Those are all 5s.

Prime example right here. :roll: (Although I honestly can't tell if you're being entirely serious.)

For example, there is no cotton-picking way on God's green earth that Alexander the Great is anywhere near something like Rime as Statters says. I cannot believe that anyone honestly thinks those 2 songs are really comparable quality.

What a load of rubbish. Stop trying to demean everyone else's views.

Whilst I agree it's not on the same level as Number, Powerslave or Seventh Son, it's certainly a bucketful of 3s, 4s and 5s. I'd put it on par with Piece of Mind, personally.

Sun May 14, 2017 8:28 am
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

doomrider wrote:
[
Stop trying to demean everyone else's views.

Grow a pair. If you like shit music or inflate something beyond its due, then your bubble will get deservedly get burst.

Sun May 14, 2017 8:37 am
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

robitusson wrote:
doomrider wrote:
[
Stop trying to demean everyone else's views.

Grow a pair. If you like shit music or inflate something beyond its due, then your bubble will get deservedly get burst.

Fuck off! Everyone is allowed to like music in their own way. Stop trying to big yourself up by trying to make out you know better than everyone else, despite the fact it is all entirely subjective.

Sun May 14, 2017 9:17 am
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Stop it! :cry: :cry: You're demeaning my views!

Sun May 14, 2017 9:21 am
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

robitusson wrote:

Deaf Freddie McDeaf can hear Somewhere In Time was a big step down for Maiden. They were burnt out from a shitload of touring - and they tried something new but there were mixed results. Simple as that. The synths were an awful addition, the new sound was patchy, they started repeating themselves and the songs lost a lot of their previous punch and verve. It was McDonaldized Maiden.

I could sort of understand why you'd think that about Seventh Son which, while being a 5 fist album, is a little too slick and polished, but SiT 1) doesn't sound anywhere near as slick or glossy as that and 2) has some of Maiden's heaviest and most technical songwriting. Listen to the opening of Sea Of Madness, it's definitely not 'McDonaldized'.

Sun May 14, 2017 11:09 am
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

I think Vim is obviously taking the piss with his 5 fister comment. At least you'd really hope so.

"Grishknackh was a man of contradiction... filled with dishonour. Once he said himself to be an elf, I look upon him as a cowardly squealing orc!"
- Mortiis, 1995
In all honesty I rate Killers below Virtual XI.

Sun May 14, 2017 11:46 am
Opinionated Loudmouth. Perkele!
Opinionated Loudmouth. Perkele!

Hallowed Be Thy Name dropped from setlist:

"the band says it has been forced to drop its anthemic number Hallowed Be Thy Name from its tour after it became embroiled in a legal battle over who wrote it.

Retired rock band manager Barry McKay is taking Steve Harris and Dave Murray, two musicians from Iron Maiden, to court over the song.

He claims it reproduces major parts of another song "Lying in my Shadow", written by musician Brian Quinn, under the name Brian Ingham"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/05 ... ong-legal/

Last edited by The One True Wretch on Sun May 14, 2017 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun May 14, 2017 11:51 am
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

robitusson wrote:
Wasted years is the only track approaching 4 fists on SIT.

Wacky, wacky, Rob.

1. Caught Somewhere In Time - 5 fists
2. Wasted Years - 5 fists
3. Sea Of Madness - 4 fists
4. Heaven Can Wait - 5 fists
5. The Loneliness Of The Long Distance Runner - 4 fists
6. Stranger In A Strange Land - 5 fists
7. Deja-Vu - 4 fists
8. Alexander The Great - 5 fists

That is the same thing like I posted with Ultimate Sin! A lot of 4's & 5's (nothing below) Only HCW I give a 4 too.

Sun May 14, 2017 11:53 am
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

What a joke. Seems like someone's money-hungry.

"Grishknackh was a man of contradiction... filled with dishonour. Once he said himself to be an elf, I look upon him as a cowardly squealing orc!"
- Mortiis, 1995
In all honesty I rate Killers below Virtual XI.

Sun May 14, 2017 11:54 am
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Runner Bean does head more torwards a 3 though. But Stranger's 666 makes up for it even with the Budgie riff.

Sun May 14, 2017 11:57 am
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

I could sort of understand why you'd think that about Seventh Son which, while being a 5 fist album, is a little too slick and polished, but SiT 1) doesn't sound anywhere near as slick or glossy as that and 2) has some of Maiden's heaviest and most technical songwriting. Listen to the opening of Sea Of Madness, it's definitely not 'McDonaldized'.

It's a weaker sound more than a slick one as such. Stranger, for example, has that bouncy synthy thing going on and disco hi-hat. :? :? I don't detect much heaviness on the album myself - maybe Sea of Madness. Maiden were never about heaviness anyway. The weakness comes more in the delivery as well as in the sub-par material.

Agreed that Seventh is the slicker sounding album. Which was more of a betrayal at the time for me - even though it had better moments than SIT. Seventh could possibly have been saved with some trimming, rewrites and less polish. SIT was always going to pretty uninspired regardless of porduction.

Last edited by robitusson on Sun May 14, 2017 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun May 14, 2017 12:04 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Yet you love Fighting The World.

Go figure!

Sun May 14, 2017 12:06 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Maiden albums are mostly patchy affairs! Thats why their fans wear patches!

Sun May 14, 2017 12:10 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2675 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134  Next