www.Terrorizer.com - View topic - The Iron Maiden thread
TERRORIZER FRONT PAGE
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:44 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2664 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131 ... 134  Next
 The Iron Maiden thread 
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Post Re: The Iron Maiden thread
Cosmic Equilibrium wrote:
Dance of Death turns out fantastically and is an instant classic.

Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:30 pm
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

I might do it for other bands at some point....

Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:24 am
Fluffy Bunny Rabbit
Fluffy Bunny Rabbit

I want to visit that parallel universe where Maiden are at their absolute peak with AMOLAD.And I so wanna hear that alternate Sign of the Cross. The one we have in this dimension is not fit to suck the Ancient Mariner's balls. Well, in fairness, perhaps the live version with Bruce might be allowed to do that.

Loved this quote:
Quote:
not helped by the band thinking it's a good idea to get him to sing Dickinson material

Yeah, what were they thinking? That their new singer should be able to sing something from 7 albums worth of material? Weren't they content with the X-Factor material and their best song ever? They just HAD to make poor Blaze sing obsolete stuff like the Trooper, right? Such assholes.

Last edited by Vic on Sun Dec 18, 2016 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:14 pm
Profile WWW
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Vic wrote:
I want to visit that parallel universe where Maiden are at their absolute peak with AMOLAD.

Visiting this forum is as close as you'll get to it.

On here all that's needed to miraculously turn repetitive tediousness and limp uninspired waffle like AMoLaD into gold is to stick the Maiden logo and Eddie the 'ead on the front and voila!...it's magically a once truly great band's career peak.

Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:41 pm
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

Vic wrote:
Loved this quote:
Quote:
not helped by the band thinking it's a good idea to get him to sing Dickinson material

Yeah, what were they thinking? That their new singer should be able to sing something from 7 albums worth of material? Weren't they content with the X-Factor material and their best song ever? They just HAD to make poor Blaze sing obsolete stuff like the Trooper, right? Such assholes.

What I meant was that there were older Maiden songs which might have suited Blaze more in terms of his vocal register and they didn't bother amending the set list in that way. They could have done that instead of having Blaze strain himself trying to sing some of the more vocally demanding Dickinson material.

Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:13 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

And yet Blaze so obviously couldn't sing the material on the albums he performed on either so I'm not sure anything was gonna save him.

Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:25 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

robitusson wrote:
Vic wrote:
I want to visit that parallel universe where Maiden are at their absolute peak with AMOLAD.

Visiting this forum is as close as you'll get to it.

On here all that's needed to miraculously turn repetitive tediousness and limp uninspired waffle like AMoLaD into gold is to stick the Maiden logo and Eddie the 'ead on the front and voila!...it's magically a once truly great band's career peak.

Yeah I don't understand it at all. Every album since 2000 has its moments, but with the exception of Brave New World, which is extremely overrated by some, they aren't really worth talking about as albums.

As for Blaze, he sounded pretty ordinary to bad in Maiden, but he sounds really good on most of the solo albums if you like the sound of his voice, I think in maiden he was just doing what he was told, and it ended up backfiring.

Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:01 am
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

I've come to the conclusion that The Book Of Souls is overlong and shouldn't have been a double album, so I've gone back and re-arranged it down to a personal edit:

1. If Eternity Should Fail
2. Speed Of Light
3. The Book Of Souls
4. Shadows Of The Valley
5. Death Or Glory
6. Tears Of A Clown
7. The Red And The Black

This IMO works much better, it's now a more concise album. I ditched Empire Of The Clouds because that track sounds half-finished. Ditched the other songs because they were just filler. TRATB sits in quite nicely at the end, and the title track as third song in works well too.

Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:19 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

I've come to the conclusion that someone certainly has too much time on their hands.

Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:21 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

I listened to Virtua XI for the first time in a while the other day. Better than Killers? Fuck off.

Mind, it's not as bad as I first thought, just typical 90's Maiden - a couple of good songs amid some material that is way below par.

Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:38 am
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Triggmartyr wrote:
I listened to Virtua XI for the first time in a while the other day. Better than Killers? Fuck off.

Mind, it's not as bad as I first thought, just typical 90's Maiden - a couple of good songs amid some material that is way below par.

Agree. I still like it better than The X Factor though.

I am Deth!!! Fukk You!!! 我死了!你他媽的!나는 죽음 이다! 엿 먹어 !私は死です!あなたをファック!أنا الموت! اللعنة عليك !Я - смерть! Пошел на хуй !איך בין טויט! באַרען איר!میں موت ہوں! تم بھاڑ میں جاؤ !Olen kuolema ! Haista vittu !Είμαι ο θάνατος ! Γαμήσου !Yr wyf marwolaeth ! Ffyc chi!Ek is die dood! Fok jou !मैं मृत्यु हूं! फक यू!

"Anyone who says a bad fuck is better than a good wank has obviously never had either." - my mate Anthony

Metalcore- parting morons from their money since ages ago.

Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:37 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Virtual XI is poo.

Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:27 am
Profile WWW
Climate Control
Climate Control

Triggmartyr wrote:
Virtual XI. Better than Killers? Fuck off.

as bad as I first thought, just typical 90's Maiden - material that is way below par.

Edited for accuracy.

Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:36 am
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

It's funny because we're always hearing about how Brave New World 'had material on it that was written during the Blaze era'. Well, which songs specifically? It's a 5/5 album, but interestingly enough, there's a 1 fist song at the very end of the album; 'The Thin Line Between Love and Hate'. That song is one of the biggest buzzkills I have ever heard on an album, with powerful tracks like The Nomad and Out of the Silent Planet leading to... completely uninispired, vocally monotone fucking slime. I have a sneaking feeling that given the horrendous songwriting and the vocal style present on this track that this is the so-called 'Blaze- era' material on this album, and when you hear the song, you realise that it's of such low quality that it has literally no business being on the album whatsoever. Thank god it was the final track.

(If there is actually another song from the Blaze-era, I'd be willing to bet that it's The Wickerman)

"Grishknackh was a man of contradiction... filled with dishonour. Once he said himself to be an elf, I look upon him as a cowardly squealing orc!"
- Mortiis, 1995
In all honesty I rate Killers below Virtual XI.

Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:42 am
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

I've come to the conclusion that The Book Of Souls is overlong and shouldn't have been a double album, so I've gone back and re-arranged it down to a personal edit:

2. Speed Of Light
3. The Book Of Souls
4. Shadows Of The Valley
5. Death Or Glory
6. Tears Of A Clown
7. The Red And The Black

This IMO works much better, it's now a more concise album. I ditched Empire Of The Clouds because that track sounds half-finished. Ditched the other songs because they were just filler. TRATB sits in quite nicely at the end, and the title track as third song in works well too.

I'd probably agree with that. As it is, it's a 4 fist album, losing a fist because it is too long. That would probably be a 5.

Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:25 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

RainbowPrince wrote:
It's funny because we're always hearing about how Brave New World 'had material on it that was written during the Blaze era'. Well, which songs specifically?

Dream of Mirrors, The Nomad, and The Mercenary.

Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:25 am
Profile WWW
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Spiny Norman wrote:
RainbowPrince wrote:
It's funny because we're always hearing about how Brave New World 'had material on it that was written during the Blaze era'. Well, which songs specifically?

Dream of Mirrors, The Nomad, and The Mercenary.

But even then, is there any way to know just how much the tracks changed since they were first conceptualised with Blaze in the band? I honestly think that they would have been refined a great deal when it came time for the actual album with Bruce. I refuse to believe that The Nomad, one of Maiden's best songs, was a product of the Blaze era. I'd be willing to bet that these tracks were just in their foetal stages before the return of Bruce, and were hardly comparable to their finished versions.

- Edit: Plus the return of Adrian was sure to have a big impact on their ability to improve songwriting.

"Grishknackh was a man of contradiction... filled with dishonour. Once he said himself to be an elf, I look upon him as a cowardly squealing orc!"
- Mortiis, 1995
In all honesty I rate Killers below Virtual XI.

Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:33 pm
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

RainbowPrince wrote:
It's funny because we're always hearing about how Brave New World 'had material on it that was written during the Blaze era'. Well, which songs specifically? It's a 5/5 album, but interestingly enough, there's a 1 fist song at the very end of the album; 'The Thin Line Between Love and Hate'. That song is one of the biggest buzzkills I have ever heard on an album, with powerful tracks like The Nomad and Out of the Silent Planet leading to... completely uninispired, vocally monotone fucking slime. I have a sneaking feeling that given the horrendous songwriting and the vocal style present on this track that this is the so-called 'Blaze- era' material on this album, and when you hear the song, you realise that it's of such low quality that it has literally no business being on the album whatsoever. Thank god it was the final track.

(If there is actually another song from the Blaze-era, I'd be willing to bet that it's The Wickerman)

Dream Of Mirrors was written for Blaze - you can definitely imagine him singing that one. I'm not sure on which other songs were VXI leftovers but I don't think The Wicker Man was, isn't that a Smith tune?

Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:20 pm
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

RainbowPrince wrote:
I refuse to believe that The Nomad, one of Maiden's best songs, was a product of the Blaze era.

See, this is the issue with Maiden fans who slag the Blaze era - they can't accept even the remotest possibility that it might be of any worth or indeed could ever have been of any value at all. I don't mind people disliking the material if they've judged it objectively, but to just flat out assume the Blaze albums could never have produced good material is kind of wrong.

As for how developed the songs were, I'm pretty sure Dream Of Mirrors was finished and ready to go, they just recorded it with Bruce instead - listening to the song makes that pretty clear in my mind. I'm not sure of the other two, it may be that they were more at a halfway house stage of writing, but it could be that they were finished pieces as well.

Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:24 pm
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

doomrider wrote:

2. Speed Of Light
3. The Book Of Souls
4. Shadows Of The Valley
5. Death Or Glory
6. Tears Of A Clown
7. The Red And The Black

I'd probably agree with that. As it is, it's a 4 fist album, losing a fist because it is too long. That would probably be a 5.

I've recently gone further with this idea and combined my favourite tracks from The Final Frontier and The Book Of Souls into one album:

1) If Eternity Should Fail
2) Satellite 15... The Final Frontier [with much of the first bit of Satellite 15 edited out for conciseness]
3) Speed Of Light
4) Coming Home
5) The Red And The Black
6) The Alchemist
7) The Talisman
8) Shadows Of The Valley
9) The Man Who Would Be King
10) Isle Of Avalon

This works as a 5 fist album, although it feels more like a collection of great songs than a cohesive whole like AMOLAD did.

Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:32 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2664 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131 ... 134  Next