www.Terrorizer.com - View topic - The Iron Maiden thread
TERRORIZER FRONT PAGE
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed May 27, 2020 1:46 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2688 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 135  Next
 The Iron Maiden thread 
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Post Re: The Iron Maiden thread
Stat_Rad wrote:
Yet he can't hit the high notes as well on the albums.

He's doing pretty well considering he's nearing 60. It's not like Ozzy or Halford can get anywhere near the notes they used to sing.

http://seabastard.bandcamp.com/

turdy wrote:
Great tits and slow as fuck doom are Cromwell's Raison d'être.

Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:56 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

On record he hits every note he wants. Agree about stage waffle, what was that one about Queen Victoria's period pains? Periods eh lads, snigger. In the early days of Soulseek I found a live version of To Tame A Land where he spends ages slagging off Frank Herbert for not letting them call the song Dune, even though it forced them to come up with a much better title.

Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:19 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Chantler wrote:
On record he hits every note he wants.

Clean out your ears and give Mother Of Mercy another listen mate. He is clearly straining on that one. and that's just one example.

Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:19 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

He's got the note, he's not off, he gets it, sure he strains to get it but that's fine, it's emotive strain. Next you'll be saying "that Olympian may have won the race but he's clearly sweating."

Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:29 pm
Fluffy Bunny Rabbit
Fluffy Bunny Rabbit

I went to see them on the FF tour and "The Talisman" was clearly painful for him, although he pulled it off. By the way, I think that song is not just one of the best of their recent output, it's up there with their very best. Just my opinion, though 8-)

Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:33 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Powersteev wrote:
So what album did Maiden release in 1989, Mali?

Too much balls in that post to waste time picking it apart

Oops, you're right it was 1990. Still, one tiny mistake in a post full of RIGHT!

Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:36 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Solaris wrote:
A week's ban for Mali please. I'm 100% serious.

Can't handle the truth eh, so you try to ban it, who are you Stalin?

Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:37 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Iron Maiden - 5
Killers - 5
Number - 5
Piece - 4
Powerslave - 5
Somewhere - 4
Seventh - 5
No Prayer - 3
Fear - 3
X-Factor - 2
Virtual - 1
Brave - 4
Dance - 4
Matter - 5
Final - 3

Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:40 pm
Profile WWW
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Mali wrote:
Solaris wrote:
A week's ban for Mali please. I'm 100% serious.

Can't handle the truth eh, so you try to ban it, who are you Stalin?

If Stalin had ordered the murder of 20 million people who'd said AMOLAD was 'drivelly toss', he'd be remembered as a wise and just leader.

Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:41 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Chantler wrote:
He's got the note, he's not off, he gets it, sure he strains to get it but that's fine, it's emotive strain. Next you'll be saying "that Olympian may have won the race but he's clearly sweating."

oh B.S. He has clearly adapted to the fact that he can't sing as high anymore and has adjusted himself accordingly by singing more in lower and middle registers like the rest of them.

Quit pretending he is God mate! :)

Last edited by Stat_Rad on Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:42 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

On the subject of Live After Death...

I bought the DVD when it finally came out and was looking forward to watching it and reliving a teenage memory. While it's a good video, it's nowhere near the perfection that people bang on about and the between song banter is cringeworthy. I mean Scott Ian used to say that Belladonna made him cringe onstage, but that guy has nothing on Bruce and his 'unique' sense of humour.

Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:45 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Mali wrote:
On the subject of Live After Death...

I bought the DVD when it finally came out and was looking forward to watching it and reliving a teenage memory. While it's a good video, it's nowhere near the perfection that people bang on about and the between song banter is cringeworthy. I mean Scott Ian used to say that Belladonna made him cringe onstage, but that guy has nothing on Bruce and his 'unique' sense of humour.

As stated above, the album is different to the video. The album is miles better, especially vocally, and they thankfully cut a lot of waffle out.

To be fair to him, Bruce does take the piss out of himself nowadays for what he said back then.

Middle of your twenties trying to entertain an Arena, I'd probably say some dumb shit too.

turdy wrote:

Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:12 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Quote:
He has clearly adapted to the fact that he can't sing as high anymore and has adjusted himself accordingly by singing more in lower and middle registers

Are there any old songs Bruce can't sing any more? (no, he's singing them all as well if not better than he ever did). And he's still getting stuck into songs that need a powerful gamut of high notes like These Colours Don't Run and Mother Of Mercy, both of which he nails. End of argument.

Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:33 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

His onstage waffle wasn't that bad. He made quips about devil worship and maijuana but kept it concise and delivered it in that polite, charming English way.

If there's a frontman who should be silenced it's Robb Fucking Flynn. A middle aged man who can't say a sentence without fuck, killer, dude or motherfucker. Their new album is called Machine Fucking Head Live for God's sake.

Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:07 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Chantler wrote:
On record he hits every note he wants. Agree about stage waffle, what was that one about Queen Victoria's period pains? Periods eh lads, snigger. In the early days of Soulseek I found a live version of To Tame A Land where he spends ages slagging off Frank Herbert for not letting them call the song Dune, even though it forced them to come up with a much better title.

Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:42 pm
Profile WWW
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

bás wrote:
His onstage waffle wasn't that bad. He made quips about devil worship and maijuana but kept it concise and delivered it in that polite, charming English way.

That's the edited version.

Beast over Hammersmith is just embarrassing with waffle, especially his intro to 22 Acacia and Phantom. Really crass references to girls backstage.

turdy wrote:

Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:00 pm
Climate Control
Climate Control

Stat_Rad wrote:
Somewhere In Time is not a 5 fist album, unless you are a fanboy or a revisionist cunt!

I would have verged on the former when I was in my early teens, and I'd like to think that I'm not the latter but yes - Somewhere In Time is a 5/5 album. And that's that.

Chantler wrote:
I've always been amazed that no one seemed to notice how badly Aces High is sung on LAD. It's the big opener on their big live album, yet it's the worst he's ever sounded. Compared to his assured, impassioned performance on Flight 666 it's like a state school choirboy undergoing puberty.

Personally, I'd give that dubious accolade to the "Hell!" in the chorus to From Here To Eternity.

Stat_Rad wrote:
Chantler wrote:

Clean out your ears and give Mother Of Mercy another listen mate. He is clearly straining on that one. and that's just one example.

While I agree that he does occasionally struggle on record, I think he certainly sounds better now than he did during the 90s, for example. His low points would be across the board on No Prayer..., and on some of Fear.... He sounds fine on Mother Of Mercy, IMO. Good song, too.

Cromwell wrote:
Beast over Hammersmith is just embarrassing with waffle, especially his intro to 22 Acacia and Phantom. Really crass references to girls backstage.

Seriously cringeworthy. Stick to singing, eh Bruce?

Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:21 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Regarding Bruce and notes, Harris has stated that he doesn't worry about which key he writes in as Bruce can do it, so he's bound to be pushed with what they do. Maiden is often quite high pitched at best of times, and many bands flat tune to help their singer hit the notes easier.

Di'anno had to be written for, in that Steve had to worry about which key he wrote in, and Janick said in the press part of the issue with Blaze pulling shows was that they were doing songs outside of his register, and it was too much on his voice.

The fact that Bruce does hit the notes, and Paul and Blaze couldn't necessarily, says a lot about him, especially as he's not trained to sing.

turdy wrote:

Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:26 pm
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Stat_Rad wrote:
Chantler wrote:

That is painful to listen to alright. I'd rate AMOLAD as the worst vocal performance on any Maiden album imo. Part of the reason I would rate it their second worst studio album (after VXI). Blaze's may have been poorer but he performed better on his 2 album than Bruce did on AMOLAD. But it's not just the cringe-inducing, teeth-clenching straining he does, it's the sameness - cadence, phrasings, patterns - all just really repetitive.

Ken Mikedy wrote:
I went to see them on the FF tour and "The Talisman" was clearly painful for him, although he pulled it off. By the way, I think that song is not just one of the best of their recent output, it's up there with their very best. Just my opinion, though 8-)

Agreed. Excellent, excellent song.

Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:48 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

dick

Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:06 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2688 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 135  Next