www.Terrorizer.com - View topic - The Iron Maiden thread
TERRORIZER FRONT PAGE
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:52 am

Reply to topic  [ 2688 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126 ... 135  Next
 The Iron Maiden thread 
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Post Re: The Iron Maiden thread
I'd go 3.5/5 vs 2.5/5 personally.

Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:09 pm
Climate Control
Climate Control

TFF has grown on me in the few years since its release, but the Megadave one is pretty poor. A couple of decent tracks (Burning Bridges and Dread And The Fugitive Mind) aside, it's awful. I think 2/5 was pretty generous.

Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:12 pm
Climate Control
Climate Control

There's only 1 song I dislike on TFF (isle of Avalon) and I think tracks like starblind, the talisman, the man who would be King, where the wild wind blows, coming home and the alchemist are excellent.

Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:19 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

BNW - 5
DoD - 4
AMoLaD - 3.5
TFF - 3.5
BoS - 4

Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:48 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Got this the other day. I'd forgotten how good Maiden can be live.

I am Deth!!! Fukk You!!! 我死了!你他媽的!나는 죽음 이다! 엿 먹어 !私は死です!あなたをファック!أنا الموت! اللعنة عليك !Я - смерть! Пошел на хуй !איך בין טויט! באַרען איר!میں موت ہوں! تم بھاڑ میں جاؤ !Olen kuolema ! Haista vittu !Είμαι ο θάνατος ! Γαμήσου !Yr wyf marwolaeth ! Ffyc chi!Ek is die dood! Fok jou !मैं मृत्यु हूं! फक यू!

"Anyone who says a bad fuck is better than a good wank has obviously never had either." - my mate Anthony

Metalcore- parting morons from their money since ages ago.

Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:35 pm
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Brave New World 3
Dance Of Death 2
A Matter Of Life And Death 1
The Final Frontier 2
Book Of Souls 1

Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:43 pm
Climate Control
Climate Control

Brave New World: 5/5
Dance Of Death: 3.5/5
A Matter Of Life And Death: 3/5
The Final Frontier: 4/5
The Book Of Souls: 2.5/5

Vim Fuego wrote:
Got this the other day. I'd forgotten how good Maiden can be live.

I have the DVD, I have yet to pick up the album. En Vivo! and Maiden England '88, too. No need for the compilations or '90s material, obviously.

Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:58 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

I have that. Need to listen to it as I think I purchased it from iTunes when drunk one night. I do have the "Rio" and "Flight 666" DVDs scheduled to arrive soon. The blizzard over here is slowing down the mail a bit, but I'm still a big fan of Amazon.

Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:27 am
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Solaris wrote:
TFF has grown on me in the few years since its release, but the Megadave one is pretty poor. A couple of decent tracks (Burning Bridges and Dread And The Fugitive Mind) aside, it's awful. I think 2/5 was pretty generous.

World Needs a Hero is crap, but TFF is unlistenable.

Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:48 am
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Solaris wrote:
Brave New World: 5/5
Dance Of Death: heaven't heard this one
A Matter Of Life And Death: 3/5
The Final Frontier: 3/5
The Book Of Souls: 2.5/5

Common, give yourself a chance!
https://music.yandex.ru/users/lecter-zador/playlists/3

Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:01 am
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

BNW: 4/5
DoD: 5/5
AMOLAD: 5/5
TFF: 4/5
TBoS: 3.5/5

Dance Of Death and A Matter Of Life And Death are quite clearly the pinnacle of the six-man Maiden era.

Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:17 am
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Good Jaysus, here we go again...

BNW - 4 fists
DOD - 3 fists
AMOLAD - 4 fists
TFF - 3 fists
TBOS - 4 fists

Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:25 am
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

BNW - 4
DOD - 3
AMOLAD - 3
TFF - 3
BOS - 0

Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:48 am
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

The Tez forum gives out their fists for Maiden albums.

Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:00 pm
Fluffy Bunny Rabbit
Fluffy Bunny Rabbit

BNW - 7/10
DoD - 7/10
AMOLAD - 6/10
TFF - 4/10
BoS - 6/10

Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:45 pm
Profile WWW
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Just as an aside, I've lost my copy of Book Of Souls. However, our house is incredibly disorganised so it could well be right beside me.

Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:52 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Okay.... let's put this in a different light. Of the people who rave about modern Maiden, is it a fanboy thing? Or, did you get into Maiden later than people like me, and so you have a different view on Maiden. What I mean is, it's a well established 'fact' that people tend to highly rate the album that got them into Maiden, so if you got into Maiden in 1989/1991 then you would probably rate 'No Prayer / Fear of the Dark' much higher than someone like me who bought Number of the Beast when it was still Maiden's current album.

Of course the other option is that you hand on heart believe that Maiden albums of today are of equal quality to the early classics. I mean, you're obviously in cloud cuckoo land, but... fine.

Honestly the only Maiden album (post 86) that did anything at all for me was 'BNW' and that was probably a lot to do with nostalgia and Bruce coming back. I still think it's the best album they've done since Somewhere in Time, but it's not exactly 'classic'. The other re-union albums have been middling at best, but Final Frontier was just so bloody awful. The intro alone was something I would expect from a much lesser band and the whole thing was so uncompromisingly dull, I honestly couldn't get through it. I turned it off about half way through.

Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:24 pm
Climate Control
Climate Control

Genuine regard for the music, for me. I mean, I (rightly) hate all of the '90s albums, nothing worth more than 2/5 there. BNW was a return to form - yes, mainly due to the return of Dickinson and Smith - but in terms of production, writing*, etc. They're just better and, while generally not up to the standard of most of their '80s output, they're damn close. I genuinely feel that Brave New World can sit alongside Powerslave, TNOTB, SSOASS on 5/5, and that it's better than Piece Of Mind (obviously) & Somewhere In Time (I rate them both at 5/5, but it works better as an album for me). It's old enough now to be judged against their classic material, I mean it was released closer to Seventh Son..., than to The Book Of Souls and, to me at least, is a classic Maiden album.

I really don't get the hate for The Final Frontier. It took me a while to 'get' it (though not as long as it took with Dance Of Death, that only 'clicked' last year for me), but it was worth persevering with. Conversely, I loved AMOLAD when it came out and it's now just above The Book Of Souls for me as my least favourite 'reunion' album. I still like both, but I consider them the worst of those five albums.

*I acknowledge that some of those tracks were written when Bayley was in the band and, to be fair, some of the Bayley-era tracks are actually good, just not his versions - just listen to Bruce's versions on Rock In Rio or some of the B-sides of the time - the point being that those tracks aren't automatically shit due to his being around).

Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:00 pm
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

Mali wrote:
Okay.... let's put this in a different light. Of the people who rave about modern Maiden, is it a fanboy thing? Or, did you get into Maiden later than people like me, and so you have a different view on Maiden. What I mean is, it's a well established 'fact' that people tend to highly rate the album that got them into Maiden, so if you got into Maiden in 1989/1991 then you would probably rate 'No Prayer / Fear of the Dark' much higher than someone like me who bought Number of the Beast when it was still Maiden's current album.

Of course the other option is that you hand on heart believe that Maiden albums of today are of equal quality to the early classics. I mean, you're obviously in cloud cuckoo land, but... fine.

I got into Maiden properly about 2001 or thereabouts, when I bought Live After Death. First newly released album I paid attention to was DoD in 2003, and that was the first time I saw them live, so I've got some reason in that regard for rating it highly.

However I've always been of the opinion that Maiden have never really made a bad album, and that their post 1990 work is just as valid as the 80s glory years. I really don't think the rules apply to Maiden in this regard, they've just always made great music. I've always rated the debut very highly from when I first heard it, and rated AMOLAD pretty highly too when that was released, so it's just a case of me picking up their albums and liking them, regardless of when they were made. I suppose there is some advantage to this, in that I could go back to albums like The X Factor and FOTD without filtering them through too many expectations, as I might have done if I'd been old enough to get into Maiden properly in the 80s.

I genuinely believe that the six man line up is a high point and that 2003-2008 was the particular pinnacle of that era in terms of writing and performing. In fact I'd have no hesitation in saying that the band's most consistent all time high point as a live unit has been the last 15 years, and they've been playing at a higher level of skill, passion and energy than they were between 1984 and 1990.

The three main pinnacles for Maiden as a live unit have been 1982 [when Bruce joined], 1992 [when Janick joined but before Bruce decided to leave] and 2001-09 [when Bruce and Adrian rejoined and committed fully to the band again].

Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:57 pm
Fluffy Bunny Rabbit
Fluffy Bunny Rabbit

Wait, you went from 1982 to 1992...

The period 1982-1988 is what I regard their absolute best. The others don't even compare.

Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:19 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 2688 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126 ... 135  Next