www.Terrorizer.com - View topic - The Iron Maiden thread
TERRORIZER FRONT PAGE
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:55 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2688 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 131, 132, 133, 134, 135
 The Iron Maiden thread 
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

Post Re: The Iron Maiden thread
I've always loved the self-titled and rated it as a 5 fist album from day one.

Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:09 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

It sounds like shit, but there is plenty of magic to it. Has a special atmosphere.

Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:33 am
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

^ Exactly that.

My new updated Maiden ratings, based on some re-listenings:

1) AMOLAD 5
2) SIT 5
3) DOD 5
4) The X Factor 5
5) Iron Maiden 5
6) SSOASS 5
7) NOTB 5
8) Powerslave 5
9) FOTD 5
10) BNW 4
11) TFF 4
12) POM 4
13) NPFTD 3
14) TBOS 3
15) VXI 3
16) Killers 3

Just to note that you couldn't put a blade of grass in between the debut, 7th Son, NOTB, Powerslave or FOTD - those records are pretty much at the same level, so the preference order for that section is a bit meaningless.

Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:15 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

*Sees Killers at the bottom*

Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:24 pm
Profile WWW
Climate Control
Climate Control

It's a standard rule: CE is Wrong About Maiden. Look where The X Factor is, for fuck's sake.

Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:59 am
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

I can't be that wrong about them if I gave all their 80s albums 5 fists apart from Killers and POM.

On the subject of Killers, I dug it out again the other week and gave it an objective listen. I still wouldn't give it more than 3.5 fists. The first two Maiden albums are comprised of the songs the band had been writing in the period before they were signed, for the most part, and it's very clear to me that they put nearly all of the strongest ones on the debut and with some exceptions (Wrathchild, title track) most of the lesser ones ended up on Killers. Now these songs aren't bad by any stretch of the imagination, but to me they sound more like B-side cuts than the prime meat put on the debut.

I'm sure Harris himself has mentioned this fact somewhere, but I will have to look it up. I think it was in the official biography of Maiden.

However, I will stick up for Prodigal Son, which is rather unusual compared to most of the other songs in that it is complete Jethro Tull worship - and it works really well.

Also, additional note - even the lesser Killers songs sound amazing when performed live by the band, as Beast Over Hammersmith demonstrates.

Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:23 am
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

I agree that "Killers" is Maiden's weakest 80's album & would also give it a 3.5/5 rating but "Prodigal Son" was the only weak track on the album for mine. It simply stands out like a sore thumb & intrudes on an otherwise fairly focused tracklisting. The reason I rate "Killers" lower than other 80's albums though is primarily due to the lack of obvious highlight tracks. On paper I should like it much more than that the debut. I mean it's heavier, more progressive, the musicianship is improved, it's more consistent, it's got a more suitable production, etc... but I do think that the more expansive production has sucked a little bit of the life out of the guitars. They sound a bit washed out to me. "Killers" is a solid album but it doesn't reach the heights of Maiden's other 80's albums for mine. I still have a lot of time for it though.

Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:48 pm
Opinionated Loudmouth. Perkele!
Opinionated Loudmouth. Perkele!

I got this new work vehicle, and I got a few USB sticks with music all on em, all the folders are all named with the year of release before the album name. This one particular stick with like heavy modern music in the directory, first folder is Iron Maiden "Iron Maiden", once in a while the system just loses the last playpoint and goes to the start, so I've heard fucking "Prowler" about 3000 times recently.

I spend a lot of time driving and have a lot of time with my own thoughts... I thought about this, and that's some fucking weird lyrics right there. The line about "reeling around" cracks me up every time. I gather it's an ode to wanking in the bushes, peeping on girls and exposing yourself to them and what not.. But the imagery that "reeling" now conjures up for me, is like he's so horny and filthy, that he is a man performing the actions of angling, like he's trying to land some big fish, but holding his own dick and kind of slamming himself about by it in some self perpetuating sexual solo wrestling move to impress this woman outside her house. Like reeling himself in.

That's my silly imagination, but the most feasible intended implication seems to be that his wank is so powerful that he spazzes out on the floor, which might be even weirder.

Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:18 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 2688 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 131, 132, 133, 134, 135