www.Terrorizer.com
http://forum.terrorizer.com/

All Purpose DEATH METAL Thread
http://forum.terrorizer.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6259
Page 52 of 53

Author:  blacklorre [ Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:59 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: All Purpose DEATH METAL Thread

Mental Funeral!

Author:  Annihislater [ Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:54 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: All Purpose DEATH METAL Thread

Stat_Rad wrote:
Dr Yail Bloor wrote:
I think if you have to be sold on anything it probably isn't for you


I mostly agree with this.

Let's put it this way, when I first heard death metal I didn't love it, but I was very intrigued and wanted to hear more to 'understand' it.

I agree with Anni's point that people's change over time, but I think often the reason they never got into something is because they weren't exposed to the right thing at the right time etc.

On a related note, I'm also a firm believer that people who claim that they really into something then 'got over it' were probably never really into it at all or it was just a phase they went through.

I had a guy say to me the other day that he used to watch a lot of 'art films' at university but he 'got over it'. In reality he watched a few handfuls of films during his film studies courses and probably enjoyed the novelty of it but never really understood what he was watching.

Most of the guys I went to school with who were into metal and are now 'over it' are in the same boat. They liked it for a few years in their teens and early 20's, never bought many albums, never watched the scene too closely etc.

I know people are very resistant to that kind of opinion/interpretation of tastes/interests, but I don't care. I'm not trying to be politically correct. I honestly think that most people who make those claims were just never really into the things they claimed to be into that seriously.


Yeah, I think you're probably right about time and place being massive factor too.

I also agree with what you say about people 'getting over' things. You might drift away from things, and you might explore other genres and take a break, but I don't think I've ever truly gotten over something I was really into.

I don't seek out new power metal for example, but I still love the hell out of those Edguy, Sontata Arctica, Sabaton etc albums that I loved when I was into the genre. And I don't listen to them all the time, and I'd go as far as to say I have no interest in new music from those bands, but the idea of being over it makes no sense.

I think sometimes it's an pride thing. People realising they aren't as into something as they thought, so to avoid being exposed as a fraud they distance themselves form it and pretend they are above it.

Author:  doomrider [ Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:29 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: All Purpose DEATH METAL Thread

Annihislater wrote:
Stat_Rad wrote:
Dr Yail Bloor wrote:
I think if you have to be sold on anything it probably isn't for you


I mostly agree with this.

Let's put it this way, when I first heard death metal I didn't love it, but I was very intrigued and wanted to hear more to 'understand' it.

I agree with Anni's point that people's change over time, but I think often the reason they never got into something is because they weren't exposed to the right thing at the right time etc.

On a related note, I'm also a firm believer that people who claim that they really into something then 'got over it' were probably never really into it at all or it was just a phase they went through.

I had a guy say to me the other day that he used to watch a lot of 'art films' at university but he 'got over it'. In reality he watched a few handfuls of films during his film studies courses and probably enjoyed the novelty of it but never really understood what he was watching.

Most of the guys I went to school with who were into metal and are now 'over it' are in the same boat. They liked it for a few years in their teens and early 20's, never bought many albums, never watched the scene too closely etc.

I know people are very resistant to that kind of opinion/interpretation of tastes/interests, but I don't care. I'm not trying to be politically correct. I honestly think that most people who make those claims were just never really into the things they claimed to be into that seriously.


Yeah, I think you're probably right about time and place being massive factor too.

I also agree with what you say about people 'getting over' things. You might drift away from things, and you might explore other genres and take a break, but I don't think I've ever truly gotten over something I was really into.

I don't seek out new power metal for example, but I still love the hell out of those Edguy, Sontata Arctica, Sabaton etc albums that I loved when I was into the genre. And I don't listen to them all the time, and I'd go as far as to say I have no interest in new music from those bands, but the idea of being over it makes no sense.

I think sometimes it's an pride thing. People realising they aren't as into something as they thought, so to avoid being exposed as a fraud they distance themselves form it and pretend they are above it.


I completely agree with this. You still hear people say "you can't listen to metal when you're over [insert random age over 18]". Bollocks to that: If I like something there is no "growing out of it". I like it because I like it, and will continue to do so.

If people are so easily persuaded to drop their interests then they can't have been that into them in the first place.

The problem I have these days is not having as much time as I used to to follow music; hence, I'm not as knowledgable about the current music scene as I used to be.

Author:  opaline [ Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:56 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: All Purpose DEATH METAL Thread

I disagree with this way of thinking. I can think of a few subgenres that I've grown tired of that I was completely infatuated with for several years. Progressive house is a prime example. That was all I listened to & I thought it was the best thing ever for many years but eventually I started to find it really safe & to all sound the same. I still feel that way whenever I hear it. I still find it enjoyable but nowhere near what I did.

Author:  Stat_Rad [ Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:51 am ]
Post subject:  Re: All Purpose DEATH METAL Thread

Phases can last for several years ;)

I listened to quite a bit of 'techno' for a few years too.

most electro music has zero substance so I guess it is easy to get over.

perhaps the caveat is that there actually has to be something to it.

Author:  opaline [ Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:54 am ]
Post subject:  Re: All Purpose DEATH METAL Thread

I call bullshit on that post Stat.

Author:  Stat_Rad [ Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:02 am ]
Post subject:  Re: All Purpose DEATH METAL Thread

You don't 'get over' classical or jazz or art films etc. If you do, you were probably never into them. It was a phase or a typical petty bourgeois image driven thing.

Ive also found that in MOST cases, people who claim to be 'over' metal were never really into it in the first place as well, but results may vary.

Author:  opaline [ Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:34 am ]
Post subject:  Re: All Purpose DEATH METAL Thread

Wow! That's some patronizing elitist bullshit right there Stat. Have a read of what you just wrote & have a good hard look at yourself mate.

And for the record, good electronic music has as much substance as any other style of music & that's not open for debate really. To say otherwise is simply being a wanker.

Author:  Stat_Rad [ Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:48 am ]
Post subject:  Re: All Purpose DEATH METAL Thread

opaline wrote:
good electronic music has as much substance as any other style of music & that's not open for debate really. To say otherwise is simply being a wanker.


As much as say jazz or classical? I'd like to see you or anyone make that argument.

I'm not worried about being called an elitist because I'm not an egalitarian and deep down I suspect most people arent either. Discrimination is essential. We all do it, it is a very necessary part of life.

The creative arts are not the special olympics.

The real question that people need to address is actually this: why am I bothered by this 'elitist' position? Why am I bothered by the suggestion that I might have not been into something I thought I was into?

Of course you can 'burnout' on something, I was just making a generalisation, but what I generally observe in this regard isn't simply 'burnout'. It's people moving onto the 'next thing' for a whole variety of reasons.

Author:  Colin040 [ Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:31 am ]
Post subject:  Re: All Purpose DEATH METAL Thread

If you are false don't entry...because you'll be burned and died.

Author:  Dr Yail Bloor [ Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:27 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: All Purpose DEATH METAL Thread

Colin040 wrote:
If you are false don't entry...because you'll be burned and died.

Good old Shakespeare, he had a way of putting things

Author:  Chinese Whispers [ Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:43 am ]
Post subject:  Re: All Purpose DEATH METAL Thread

I kind of get what your saying Stat, but the more I think about it, the more I feel it's the exception to the rule. I think we as metal fans perhaps feel it a bit more because with a genre like this it can be rather one side or the other. People don't tend to casually listen to it (apart from maybe some of the more, for lack of a better term, radio friendly stuff, i.e. Slipknot, ect.)

I think it probably is common to, if not totally burnout on something, to the very least lose a bit of interest. You don't stop enjoying it, but it perhaps doesn't quite tickle that itch like it once did.

Author:  Stat_Rad [ Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:28 am ]
Post subject:  Re: All Purpose DEATH METAL Thread

Passion is the exception yes. Passion and interest are connected but also separate.

I must admit that to me a casual interest isn't really an interest at all, but then I guess I'm a bit of an all or nothing guy in that respect.

I think as Aussies we are a bit handicapped in this department. Sport, work and making money seem to be the only real legitimate 'interests' in Australian society. Everything else is viewed as a sideshow or a complete waste of time/money etc. You are seen as a bit eccentric here for having a passion about things like music and film etc, but over in some of the Euro countries I've been to it's totally normal.

As for your point about losing interest over time, of course, that has happened to me with many things, including some styles of metal, but

Author:  Chinese Whispers [ Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:59 am ]
Post subject:  Re: All Purpose DEATH METAL Thread

I guess I kind of view a casual interest as something that can go either way (but probably in most cases doesn't fall on the life long side). It's at the very least a curious fascination, even if very lukewarm. Which I'm cool with. I'm not going to begrudge someone who actively asks for recommendations anyway.

Author:  Solaris [ Tue May 08, 2018 11:04 am ]
Post subject:  Re: All Purpose DEATH METAL Thread



Silly video for a poor song from a poor album.

Author:  Cuchulainn [ Tue May 08, 2018 12:19 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: All Purpose DEATH METAL Thread

Solaris wrote:


Silly video for a poor song from a poor album.

I love the album. But that vid is proper shite.

Author:  Solaris [ Tue May 08, 2018 1:06 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: All Purpose DEATH METAL Thread

Like the previous three Tucker albums, I find it boring.

Author:  Cuchulainn [ Wed May 09, 2018 7:55 am ]
Post subject:  Re: All Purpose DEATH METAL Thread

It's not Domination or fucking Illud. Thank fuck.

Author:  Solaris [ Wed May 09, 2018 8:45 am ]
Post subject:  Re: All Purpose DEATH METAL Thread

Nothing wrong with Domination, and the four or five decent tracks on Illud make a better EP's worth of material than there is on Kingdom.

Author:  Triggmartyr [ Wed May 09, 2018 1:23 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: All Purpose DEATH METAL Thread

Best Tucker album since Gateways... IMO.

Page 52 of 53 All times are UTC [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/