www.Terrorizer.com - View topic - need help please
TERRORIZER FRONT PAGE
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:38 pm

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
 need help please 
NoVice
NoVice

Post need help please
Hi everybody!

I'm a music enthusiast, and I'm working on an essay that is going to be the basis of my dissertation. This essay is going to be a case study on depression and bipolar disorder as a topic in metal music, before applying it to other popular music genres in my dissertation. Basically, I'm going to go into how it is treated as a topic by the artists, and how it is received by audiences and the media. Since a lot of the academic resources I'm finding are about 80's metal, I want to make a point to include contemporary metal as well, so that I'm not just rehashing what others have already written about. I also want to emphasize that the choice of metal for this pilot essay is based on the criticism from non-metal fans and media. My impression (admittedly as someone not overly familiar with metal) is that metal addresses topics about emotional pain more openly than other genres do (and in ways that don't necessarily follow the docile and inspiring script that the mainstream likes from stories about mental illness), and that this approach makes the mainstream uncomfortable.

Since my experience with metal is limited, I want to really get a feel for the genre so that I can write about it fairly, but I don't know where to start. My adviser recommended asking for suggestions on these forums. I don't need suggestions that fit in perfectly or at all with my topic, or from specific time periods (though if you have any specific thoughts or bands, please say!). I would really appreciate it if you could suggest specific albums from bands, since lots of really good bands are prolific and I want to make sure I listen to a wide range. Thank you so much for any and all help with this. I've been feeling like I should educate myself on metal for ages, and I'm really looking forward to be able to use this essay as an excuse to find some great music.

Fri May 10, 2019 3:10 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]