www.Terrorizer.com - View topic - Last Gig Attended.
TERRORIZER FRONT PAGE
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:44 am

Reply to topic  [ 3603 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 177, 178, 179, 180, 181  Next
 Last Gig Attended. 
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Post Re: Last Gig Attended.
Insomnium
Mama Roux's, Birmingham

New album played in full and the venue was packed solid. A far cry from the last time I was there when Onslaught played to about 40 people.
Never took much notice of Insomnium before tbh. They always seemed to be something of a poor man's Dark Tranquillity, but they really impressed me last night. Nothing new or original, just quality songs played well.
Support band Barren Earth were decent too.
The only disappointment was me not checking the settings on my brand spanking new 23mp camera phone beforehand, and realising when I got back I had only taken 8mp pics. D'oh!

Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:51 pm
Profile WWW
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Spiny Norman wrote:
Insomnium
Mama Roux's, Birmingham

New album played in full and the venue was packed solid. A far cry from the last time I was there when Onslaught played to about 40 people.
Never took much notice of Insomnium before tbh. They always seemed to be something of a poor man's Dark Tranquillity, but they really impressed me last night. Nothing new or original, just quality songs played well.
Support band Barren Earth were decent too.
The only disappointment was me not checking the settings on my brand spanking new 23mp camera phone beforehand, and realising when I got back I had only taken 8mp pics. D'oh!

Insomnium are great. However Omnium Gatherum are the dogs when it comes to the DT type metal currently

Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:53 pm
Profile WWW
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

The final* show by some band from Birmingham.

Brilliant, basically. Ozzy's voice was solid until Hand of Doom when he went flat on one line and cracked on another. He disappeared off stage for ten minutes while the band went straight into a pre-arranged instrumental medley and drum solo, and came back out on top form again. Iommi's playing was flawless, Tommy Clufetos is a hell of a drummer, and Geezer was brilliant, even playing a custom built Aston Villa bass (complete with claret and blue strings) for the Paranoid encore.

5 Fist gig.

Black Sabbath
Fairies Wear Boots
Under the Sun/Every Day Comes and Goes
After Forever
Into the Void
Snowblind
War Pigs
Behind the Wall of Sleep
N.I.B.
Hand of Doom
Supernaut/Sabbath Bloody Sabbath/Megalomania (Instrumental medley)
Rat Salad/Drum Solo
Iron Man
Dirty Women
Children of the Grave
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Paranoid

*yeah, I know.

Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:28 pm
Profile WWW
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Did they actually play all of Snowblind? When I saw them a few years back they played just the intro to Sweat Leaf because Ozzy wasn't singing their drug songs at least at then as he was "clean" at the time (he was still drinking, but that's not a real drug, right?)

Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:55 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Yup. The lot.

Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:59 pm
Profile WWW
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

I saw them in London, and yes indeed they did play the whole song. They also did the full length of Under The Sun as well [they sometimes leave out the slowing down coda, but not this time, and it was brilliant].

The bit of Megalomania in the jam section was awesome.

Agree with Spiny about it being 5 fists.

Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:07 pm
Opinionated Loudmouth. Perkele!
Opinionated Loudmouth. Perkele!

Drake at the O2 last night.

Not a fan, but I was working there. Not a hip-hop/rap fan but I got paid for being there, so it wasn't so bad.

Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:32 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Anthrax.

They played Among The Living in it's entirety as well as stuff off the new album. It was a great show. Four Fists.

Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:07 am
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Triggmartyr wrote:
Among The Living in it's entirety

Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:11 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Last three gigs:

GALACTIC EMPIRE
Birmingham Academy 3

Strange that a band allowed to reproduce the music from Star Wars films note for note have to wear costumes just different enough to avoid infringing on copyright.
They were brilliant, as expected, but their supports were a bit of a mixed bag...

Celestial Wish - A terrible band with a singer flatter than a badger on a motorway.
Black Asteroids - A drummer and bass player duo who began with repetitive instrumentals, but who finished with duelling xylophones. Sort of like watching two blokes messing about in a rehearsal room waiting for the rest of the band to join them.
Sithu Aye - Another instrumental bunch but with more talent than you can shake a stick at. A fusion of jazz, funk, prog, and metal that sounded like Steve Vai, Devin Townsend, Les Claypool, Rush, Carlos Santana, Joe Satriani, and Meshuggah being put in an industrial mixer and shaken for a week.

ANTHRAX
Birmingham Institute

Completely fucking brilliant.
One of the best times I've seen them. And I've seen them 14 times.

SET 1:

A.I.R.
Madhouse
Evil Twin
Aftershock
Blood Eagle Wings
Fight 'Em 'Til You Can't
Be All, End All
Breathing Lightning

SET 2: AMONG THE LIVING
Opening: Blues Brothers - I Can’t Turn You Loose

Among the Living
Caught in a Mosh
I Am the Law
Efilnikufesin (N.F.L.)
A Skeleton in the Closet
Indians
One World
A.D.I. / Horror of It All
Imitation of Life
Encore:
I'm the Man
Antisocial

HRH METAL
Birmingham 02 Academy

A two day event which I won tickets for but could only be arsed to turn up for the Sunday due to the Saturday being a bit shit.

REIGN OF FURY
Anthrax inspired Thrash Metal. Great band, shame about the half an hour wait.
3 Fists

HELL
A couple of minor technical issues aside, the band were just as excellent as they usually are. A stripped down set and fewer props than usual didn't hurt them at all.
4 Fists.

LAWNMOWER DETH
Big green bouncy balloons, a gunge tank, a shepherd, a six foot sumo rabbit, a group hug, a total lack of technical and professional proficiency, and silly songs about Lawnmowers and Grandmas.
Standard.
4 Fists

SODOM
Songs about war.
Lots of songs about war.
5 Fists.

Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:03 am
Profile WWW
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

robitusson wrote:
Triggmartyr wrote:
Among The Living in it's entirety

"Grishknackh was a man of contradiction... filled with dishonour. Once he said himself to be an elf, I look upon him as a cowardly squealing orc!"
- Mortiis, 1995
Cosmic Equilibrium wrote:
In all honesty I rate Killers below Virtual XI.

Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:00 am
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

TARJA - Manchester Academy 2
-----------------------------------
Didn't see the support band, and was glad the venue wasn't as rammed as it was last time I was here (to see Delain).

Well it started okay, but to be honest the setlist was ropey. I recognised about 1/3 of the songs, and they didn't play 'Anteroom of Death' which was a major omission... mind you, by the end I was pretty glad they didn't, because most of the songs I did know sounded a bit 'off' one way or another.

Tarja was her usual geeky, awkward, smiley self, which is endearing to a point... but after being told how happy she is to be living her dream over and over again, and how she has been to so many beautiful places (insert obvious 'and Manchester' joke here), it got a little tiring to be honest.

Low point of the set was the acoustic segment. Seriously FUCK OFF with your stools and your acoustic bollocks. As if it wasn't bad enough we had to endure a 'jam' featuring the electric cello player trading licks with the Peter Tatgtgtgtgtgren lookalike guitar player...

Pity really, the last tour was much better.

CYFERDYNE - Yorkshire House, Lancaster
=========================
After two bizarre support acts, it was a relief when Cyferdyne finally took the stage and promptly ripped the venue a new arsehole. High energy electro-rock, in case you were wondering... free glowsticks and it was all for charity as well. Best gig of the year so far for me by a long way.

Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:44 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Spiny Norman wrote:
Last three gigs:

GALACTIC EMPIRE
Birmingham Academy 3

Strange that a band allowed to reproduce the music from Star Wars films note for note have to wear costumes just different enough to avoid infringing on copyright.
They were brilliant, as expected, but their supports were a bit of a mixed bag...

Looks like that Stormtrooper has found the Rebel Bass!

Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:27 pm
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

Triggmartyr wrote:
Spiny Norman wrote:
Last three gigs:

GALACTIC EMPIRE
Birmingham Academy 3

Looks like that Stormtrooper has found the Rebel Bass!

Bravo, Sir, bravo.

Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:50 pm
Climate Control
Climate Control

Therapy? acoustic in Galway. Wasn't sure that it'd work but it did, splendidly. Two 50 min. sets of their greatest hits (more or less), great fun. Cairns has a nice line in intro banter to keep things moving but the tunes themselves translated smoothly to the acoustic set-up. Essentially the best singalong I've been to.

4/5 (1 point deducted for the pisshead who camped out beside me for the last half hour and sent a passing lady flying into me, drenching me in beer).

Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:37 am
Climate Control
Climate Control

Wretch/Iron void, both bands were superb, with Wretch edging it. 5/5.

Wed May 03, 2017 9:02 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Iron Maiden
Motorpoint Arena, Nottingham.

A helpful hint for support group, Shinedown.
Actually play some songs rather than just endlessly wittering on about nothing in particular to the audience, throwing in a bunch of easy cheers just by shouting the words IRON MAIDEN a lot.
Actually, after hearing your MTV approved, bland and completely nondescript arena rock, it's probably for the best if you don't bother.
1 yawning fist.

Pretty much the same set as download last year except for switching Tears of a Clown with The Great Unknown.
Bruce's monkey mask is one of the silliest things they've done since getting Sooty to appear on stage with them.
The sound was a bit boomy, and the vocals kept going in and out a little, but nobody seemed to care, and everyone went home grinning like a loony and climbing like a monkey.
4 Eddies.

Fri May 05, 2017 11:10 am
Profile WWW
Climate Control
Climate Control

Maiden were all kinds of fucking excellent tonight. Very energetic, decent song choices (though some of the new ones still go on a bit, even live), including a couple of classics that really made my day. No point in posting pics as I was too far back and over to side to get decent ones. Plus there was jumping and shouting. Voice is gone, legs are in bits.

Plus: timed it right so I missed the execrable Shinedown.

Minus: some CUNT gobbed on my hoodie, whuch I only noticed when I went to put it on outside. Fucking scum.

Regardless, 5/5 show. Only took me 27 years to see them a second time.

Sun May 07, 2017 12:55 am
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

Some thoughts on Incineration Fest last weekend:
Akercocke - band of the day, sounded great, very tight and precise. 5/5.
Sodom - excellent, loads of old tracks played, the place was a mass of hair and beer. 5/5.
Samael - was a bit too much like being in a German nightclub. 2/5
Gaahls Wyrd - was expecting a lot of folky/ritual/odd instruments, but was actually just pure blasting 2nd wave stuff, Gaahl is a great vocalist. 4/5.
Temple of Baal - have liked this band for a while and was looking forward to them, but they were disappointing and sloppy live. 2/5
Deranged - Brootal death metal. Vocalist spent most of time screaming in people's faces and crowdsurfing around the room. Entertaining. 3/5.
Dyscarnate - very solid death metal. Lots of great riffs. 4/5.
Lellahell - Algerian death metal, the tribal/Eastern drum bits were interesting, not enough of them though. 2/5.
1349 - never really been a big fan, they were pretty good though. 3/5.
Shrines - excellent band, slightly odd off-kilter black/death, anyone into Akercocke/Voices/The Antichrist Imperium should check them out. 4/5.
Basement Torture Killings - seem to be a totally different band since I last saw them. Didn't sound much different though. 3/5.
Black Skies Burn - A sort of punk/grind mashup, good fun. 3/5
Nahemia - very generic black metal. 2/5.
The Infernal Sea - if they were Norwegian they'd be a lot bigger, brilliant band. Filthy, blasting black metal with lots of rocking, headbanging bits. 4/5.
Anakim - sort of technical death metal with guttural vocals, quite good. 3/5.
Sathamel - think they really badly want to be Behemoth. 2/5.
Reign of Erebus - didn't realise they were still going. Decent old school British black metal. 3/5.
Cult of Fire - musically excellent, performance is a bit boring and static once you get over all the incense, candles and cloaks. 3/5.

Wed May 17, 2017 5:26 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Met some Japanese Maiden fans in Brighton who just returned from Maiden concert in London but I wasn't envious at all cos I had just seen ITHACA !

Tue May 30, 2017 11:23 am
Reply to topic   [ 3603 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 177, 178, 179, 180, 181  Next