www.Terrorizer.com - View topic - Last Gig Attended.
TERRORIZER FRONT PAGE
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:27 am

Reply to topic  [ 3633 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 178, 179, 180, 181, 182
 Last Gig Attended. 
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

Post Re: Last Gig Attended.
Paradise Lost
Solstafir
The Atlas Moth
@ The Rickshaw Theatre, Vancouver.
Last Night (16th Oct).

The Atlas Moth: I really enjoyed their set. Whilst nothing they do, taken in isolation, could be considered particularly original, the overall sound has an individuality about it that makes them a band worth checking out.

Solstafir: Band of the evening, despite not playing anything off Otta.

Paradise Lost: Hmmmmm. Where to start? First of all, they were really tight and, musically, sounded great. However, my main reservation is with Nick Holmes: He's just become so vanilla over the years. Don't get me wrong, there was nothing wrong with it, but after the charisma displayed by the previous vocalists (particularly Addi of Solstafir), he took some warming to [although that may be the point].

I saw them at Damnation last year and thought the same, although there I assumed it was partly down to the fact he was performing with Bloodbath later on and was saving his voice.

I certainly warmed to them as they went on and it's always great hearing songs like As I Die, Pity The Sadness, Embers Fire etc., and ultimately enjoyed their set.

Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:23 am
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

In the last month I've seen Voivod, Solar Fake, Massive Ego, Sirus, Sirus and Vieon..

Voivod was gig of the year and I don't expect Slayer to change that tbh.

Some of you might actually like Sirus...

Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:24 pm
Climate Control
Climate Control

Last night:

Obituary - Played really well and had fantastic sound, shame it was only for a half hour and not enough old material (Slowly We Rot, 2 from World Demise and the rest was more recent material).

Anthrax - Fantastic, though 2 covers in a 7 song/40 min. set is almost as inexcusable as having them second on the bill.

Lamb Of God - I'm not a fan but they did what they do pretty well. I only knew a couple of songs (an ex is a fan) but I enjoyed those 2 at least.

Slayer - Phenomenal. Even though Tom looked like he was just going through the motions half the time, they were absolutely brilliant, only losing momentum during the few more recent tracks they played (though I did enjoy Payback). Wasn't expecting Blood Red or Dittohead, nice surprises there. I'm sickened now that that was the first time I bothered to go see them live and that I'll (probably) never see them again. That being said, the flames became boring after the first couple of songs.

Merch was ridiculously expensive (€35 for T-shirts, fucking €80 for very plain hoodies), apparently it's standard practice for Slayer supports that they have to price theirs at the same level as Slayer's. Fuck that, obviously.

Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:27 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Solaris wrote:
Last night:

Obituary - Played really well and had fantastic sound, shame it was only for a half hour and not enough old material (Slowly We Rot, 2 from World Demise and the rest was more recent material).

Anthrax - Fantastic, though 2 covers in a 7 song/40 min. set is almost as inexcusable as having them second on the bill.

Lamb Of God - I'm not a fan but they did what they do pretty well. I only knew a couple of songs (an ex is a fan) but I enjoyed those 2 at least.

Slayer - Phenomenal. Even though Tom looked like he was just going through the motions half the time, they were absolutely brilliant, only losing momentum during the few more recent tracks they played (though I did enjoy Payback). Wasn't expecting Blood Red or Dittohead, nice surprises there. I'm sickened now that that was the first time I bothered to go see them live and that I'll (probably) never see them again. That being said, the flames became boring after the first couple of songs.

Merch was ridiculously expensive (€35 for T-shirts, fucking €80 for very plain hoodies), apparently it's standard practice for Slayer supports that they have to price theirs at the same level as Slayer's. Fuck that, obviously.

I'm going to the Newcastle show next week. Looks good although there doesn't seem to be enough classics in the Slayer setlist.

Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:21 am
Climate Control
Climate Control

Yeah, for a farewell tour you'd think they's slip in The Antichrist at least. Still, they were bloody good, whatever they played. Nice tribute to Hanneman during Angel Of Death, too.

Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:55 am
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Just got back from the Slayer show in Newcastle:

Obituary - only caught the last three songs but they sounded awesome.

Anthrax - absolutely fucking brilliant. Got caught in a mosh quite a few times! Sol has a point - two covers in a seven song set is a bit pants, could have done with either A.I.R or Madhouse instead, but they were still fucking brilliant though.

Lamb Of God - I'm a fan of these and their last album was on my gym playlist for a bit, but they were extremely poor tonight, it just didn't seem to click. They should have been second on the bill instead of Anthrax.

FUCKIN' SLAYERRRRRRR!!! - Excellent. Fucking excellent. Whilst they could have included more of the old stuff (Serenity In Murder, The Antichrist) in their setlist, they fucking tore the place down. Mind, there wasn't much crowd interaction, but neither did it feel like they were going through the motions with one eye on the clock. I've seen all the Big Four Of Thrash and these were easily the best live. Nice stage set too.

Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:40 am
Climate Control
Climate Control

They played Madhouse in Dublin, did you get I Am The Law instead?

Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:37 am
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Solaris wrote:

Nah, we got: Caught In A Mosh, Got The Time?, N.F.L, Fight 'Em Till You Can't, Be All End All, Indians, Antisocial.

Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:24 pm
Climate Control
Climate Control

Triggmartyr wrote:
Solaris wrote:

Nah, we got: Caught In A Mosh, Got The Time?, N.F.L, Fight 'Em Till You Can't, Be All End All, Indians, Antisocial.

Ah right. Switch N.F.L. for Madhouse and Fight 'Til You Can't for Evil Twin for the Dublin show.

Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:25 am
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

Fu Manchu and Mos Generator were immense in Vancouver last night.

Just some phone pics:

Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:03 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

SLAYER: Birmingham Arena.
-------------------------------
Well I'd have to say that everything Solaris said really...

Annoyingly it took me nearly 3 fookin' hours to get there (all of 50 miles!) so I walked in to see Obituary playing their second to last song, and by the time I'd walked the three miles across the floor to where I could actually see them, I got 'Slowly We Rot'... which was enjoyable, but fuck - 29 years waiting and I got one song. Bastard.

Anthrax... this is about the tenth time I've seen them, but I haven't seen them since about 2003 (when Bush was still the band doing his impression of Bruce Willis). Joey sounded great but he still really comes across badly, like he's trying to interact with Scott and he's just looking away and cringing. And as Solaris said, two covers (plus bits of Cowboys from Hell at the start and end) in a 40 minute set - and no 'Fight Em Til You Can't' into the bargain, well fuck that.

I know very little about Lamb of God over than one video I saw where they kinda reminded me of The Haunted. Well, they aren't like the Haunted, because The Haunted are quite good. LOG are fucking boring, their drummer plays 4/4 on everything with the snare and hi-hat and does that Vinnie Paul tricky bass drum bullshit to make it sound interesting - it doesn't work. Everything is dull and ploddy and chuggy and after half an hour I gave up waiting for it to kick into gear. They're so focused on being heavy they flounder with a lack of tunes.

My first time seeing Slayer was on the Reign in Pain tour in Birmingham, so it's rather fitting that my last was not too far away, I was 17 then and I'm 49 now - that's scarier than Slayer's upside down cross projections and pentagrams (which do look a little cheesy if I'm honest). But Slayer are FUCKIN' SLAYERRRRRRRRRRRRRR! and even though I actually couldn't see them unless I stood on tip-toe and spent most of the night looking at the backdrop and random fire spurts, it was still very enjoyable.

I too thought the newer songs brought the set down - except Payback, which I really like and Dittohead which I REALLY like (although that's 25 years old now so not really a NEW song!) but overall you'd have to say that overall the set was pretty much what you'd expect, I mean if they'd just done a set that spanned 1983-1990 (plus Dittohead) then that would have been perfect, but there wasn't really that much missing (Die by the Sword, The Antichrist... Crionics!) and what was there was pretty killer (Chemical Warfare, Angel of Death, Raining Blood, Hell Awaits, Black Magic, Post Mortem, South of Heaven, Dead Skin Mask, War Ensemble...).

To be honest I was really reluctant to venture back to an Arena to see a band (the last time might have been Rush about 8 years ago) because Arenas fucking suck and metal in Arenas really suck (how I hate that arena drum sound!) and so I was more than a little dubious - but despite not being able to see jack shit, I still emerged with a shit-eating grin, albeit vowing never to return to the fetid Birmingham Arena (or any other shitty arena for that matter).

Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:13 am
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

We got "Fight 'Em..." in Newcastle. Went down a treat!

Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:22 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Three gigs in the space of a week, and another one tomorrow in Manchester.

Entombed and shit lighting at the Coventry Empire

Vader, slightly better lighting at the same show.

Full review here.
http://www.ghostcultmag.com/live-review ... ventry-uk/

Anthrax in Brum.

Lamb of God in Brum

Slayer

Slayer

Slayer

Slayer

Full review here.
http://www.ghostcultmag.com/review-slay ... ingham-uk/

Within Temptation, Brum Academy.
The only decent shot I managed to get. Stuck halfway back in a completely sold out venue, unable to move.

Decent show with four new songs, but as usual the video screen was too distracting.

Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:26 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 3633 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 178, 179, 180, 181, 182