www.Terrorizer.com - View topic - Last Gig Attended.
TERRORIZER FRONT PAGE
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:31 am

Reply to topic  [ 3594 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 175, 176, 177, 178, 179, 180  Next
 Last Gig Attended. 
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Post Re: Last Gig Attended.
Blain Cooper wrote:
Dave Witte

The Steve Smith of the nu-thrash world.

Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:23 am
Climate Control
Climate Control

Burnt By The Sun > Municipal Waste though.

I dig him thumbsup.jpg

Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:49 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Saw Cats in Space last night at our local community centre. Can't quite believe a band this talented with their personnel played in our village but they did.
Fantastic feel good rock in the vein of Queen or The Sweet decent crowd and good sound. They are playing the O2 next week!

Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:57 am
Profile WWW
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Blain Cooper wrote:
Necrolee wrote:
Municipal Waste in newcastle on Tuesday were excellent. Small venue was full and the audience went absolutely mental, couple of crowd killer wanker types though but it didn't spoil the atmosphere.
Saw Michael Easton there too (we no longer work together).

Is Dave Witte still on drums with them?

Yeah, lost a bit of weight by the looks of it. Seems really skinny now.
They also have a new guitarist, extra not replacing Ryan.

WATP wrote:
What's a crowd killer wanker type?

People in the mosh pit that think it's funny to punch and kick the bystanders that just want to watch the band and not get involved in the mosh pit.

Sat Jun 18, 2016 3:21 pm
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

Necrolee wrote:
Blain Cooper wrote:
Necrolee wrote:
Municipal Waste in newcastle on Tuesday were excellent. Small venue was full and the audience went absolutely mental, couple of crowd killer wanker types though but it didn't spoil the atmosphere.
Saw Michael Easton there too (we no longer work together).

Is Dave Witte still on drums with them?

Yeah, lost a bit of weight by the looks of it. Seems really skinny now.
They also have a new guitarist, extra not replacing Ryan.

WATP wrote:
What's a crowd killer wanker type?

People in the mosh pit that think it's funny to punch and kick the bystanders that just want to watch the band and not get involved in the mosh pit.

They always were a two-guitar band, until one left. I think it suits them better.

Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:34 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Didn't know they used to have two guitarists. Agree though they definitely sound better with two. Fills the sound out. Particularly when Ryan's jumping around or doing shouty things.

Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:19 pm
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

Hmmmmm weird: A quick search of the web suggests they've only ever had one guitarist, but I swear they had two when I saw them support Sick of it All at the Electric Ballroom.

Anyhoo, I still think they're better off with two guitarists: The sound always dropped a bit during the solos, for a start.

Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:57 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Saw Tribulation in Sydney on Friday night. Overall a tight 1 hour set almost wholly composed of tunes from the last record. Small crowd but overall a great vibe.

Sun Jun 19, 2016 1:18 am
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Saw Cattle Decapitation on Tuesday. Same venue as I saw Municipal Waste last week. Although they were good I was a bit underwhelmed, probably because of the excellent performance MW put on the week before. Sound was a bit muddy and I don't think Travis Ryan can carry off his vocals live as well as he does on record. Seemed reluctant to do an encore too, but did one, just blasted through one song and buggered off quick.
Another band that had an extra guitarist, dunno if he is a new permanent member or just on live duties though.

Sat Jun 25, 2016 1:23 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

TESTAMENT
Leamington Spa Assembly.

Broken Teeth were first up and really should have been renamed Broken Equipment as the singer managed to knacker two microphones during their thankfully short, we-REALLY-want-to-be-Hatebreed half hour set.
2 Fists

Londoners Savage Messiah were up next. A far superior band who sound like Dragonforce if they slowed down a bit and cut out the Pac-Man shit.
3.5 Fists

Having seen Testament play to crowds of under a hundred on previous tours, I was wondering just how full The Assembly would actually get. The answer was very. It was rammed, uncomfortably hot, and the band responded by making it even hotter.
In truth, it was just your basic Testament show, but it was just better. Chuck Billy roared his throat out and played his air guitar mic stand, Alex Skolnick took centre stage for every solo and pulled faces that would have been the envy of world champion gurners, Gene Hoglan played his tits off, Steve DiGiorgio remained tall and fingered his fretless, and Eric Petersen kept his head down and belted out the riffs like his life depended on it.
Hot and sweaty thrashy fun.

SETLIST

Over the Wall
Rise Up
The Preacher
Dog Faced Gods
Native Blood
Legions of the Dead
Practice What You Preach
The New Order
Into the Pit
D.N.R. (Do Not Resuscitate)
3 Days in Darkness
More Than Meets the Eye
Disciples of the Watch
The Formation of Damnation

4.5 Fists.

Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:18 pm
Profile WWW
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

RITCHIE BLACKMORE'S RAINBOW
NEC 25th June

It was unfortunate that the first thing I noticed last night was the poor collection of t-shirts at the merch stand. How difficult would it to have been to produce a nice black shirt with the Rising cover on the front and the NEC date splashed across the back for a smugness level of 11? Mind you, you did get a free Blackmore CD with every purchase, so there was that, I suppose.

Anyway, support act MOSTLY AUTUMN were up first, and shorn of a member or two, could realistically have been called Mostly Mostly Autumn for the evening. Hard rock with a celtic edge, singers Bryan Josh and Olivia Sparnenn were fantastic but you felt they would have been far better suited to a much smaller stage.
3 Fists

And so to the only reason people were in attendance. Ritchie Blackmore. Arriving on stage to a recording of Land of Hope and Glory, the lengthy intro was completed by a sound clip of Judy Garland in the Wizard of Oz followed by Blackmore playing Somewhere Over the Rainbow while being accompanied by the loud and rapturous applause of everyone inside the sold out NEC (I refuse to call it the Genting Arena. I'm old and it's the NEC so shut up).

Opening properly with Deep Purple's Highway Star, it was lift-off inside the arena as everyone sang along with relatively unknown vocalist Ronnie Romero at the top of their voices. However, even at such an early stage in proceedings it was clear that Ritchie was not on top form. Well, how could he be? He's 71 with the onset of arthritis and recovering from a recent operation on one of his fingers. This wasn't Blackmore at the height of his pomp, this was an ageing Blackmore doing his very best his fingers would allow. His guitar sound wasn't great, he stayed pretty much rooted to the spot, steadfastly refusing to move to the other side of the stage even for a couple of minutes, and he appeared to be playing everything a little slower and a lot more staccato than the studio material everyone knows so well. But he was there. It's a distinct possibility that Sabbath won't sound their absolute best when they play their final show next year, but you know it'll go down as a classic regardless of their performance, and it was the same for Rainbow last night. Blackmore might not be able to let his fingers fly like they used to, restricting his solos to bluesy licks and scales, occasionally throwing in short bursts of speed when needed, but he still gave it his all and the gig will still be talked about for a long time to come.

If it wasn't for Blackmore, vocalist Ronnie Romero might well have stolen the show last night. I'd never heard of him or his band, Lords of Black, until very recently but if there's any justice in this world then he'll have a big future ahead of him. He belted out Ronnie James Dio's Rainbow tracks with complete authority and his voice was nothing short of spectacular. He handled the Gillan stuff incredibly well too, showing the right amount of power and emotion, with only Child In Time being a bridge too far for his ability as he let the two female backing singers take the ridiculously high notes for him while he continued in a lower register. Keyboard player Jens Johannson, stolen for this brief run from Finnish Power Metallers Stratovarius excelled in his role as Ritchie's foil, playing off the guitar parts and taking over when he needed to. His playing turned a predictably tedious drum solo into something actually worth listening to.

Mixing just about the right amount of Purple and Rainbow material, Blackmore always had the audience on side, and God help me, I'm sure I even saw him crack a smile on a couple of occasions! Man on the silver Mountain, Spotlight Kid, Mistreated, Perfect Strangers, and Soldier of Fortune were brilliant. Long Live Rock and Roll turned into a massive singalong, and Stargazer was phenomenal. However, Black Night sounded a little twee, and you'd think the guy who wrote Smoke on the Water would be able to play it in time. The few first bar was off by about half a beat and it took a few seconds to get back into it. Since You've Been Gone was another huge singalong and Catch The Rainbow was played well, but in all honesty not as good as when Opeth played it at Bloodstock shortly after Dio had died. That was a serious shivers down the spine moment, while last night it just lacked that something special. Thankfully, the omission of I Surrender made up for this.

A massively enjoyable evening where everyone went home with daft grins, thoroughly happy that they'd seen someone called Ronnie sing Rainbow songs with Ritchie Fucking Blackmore on the stage.

4.5 Fists

SETLIST
Land of Hope and Glory/Over the Rainbow
Highway Star
Spotlight Kid
Mistreated
Since You Been Gone
Man on the Silver Mountain
Soldier of Fortune
Difficult to Cure/Drum Solo
Catch the Rainbow
Perfect Strangers
Long Live Rock 'n' Roll
Child in Time
Stargazer
Black Night
Encore:
Burn
Smoke on the Water

Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:47 pm
Profile WWW
Infant-ile
Infant-ile

Great pics as usual Spiny.

Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:59 am
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Saw The Blue Man Group last night. I was expecting a bit of banging around on PVC pipes and a bit of mime. What I got was just fucking incredible!

The three blue guys do whack lots of stuff, but they're backed by four other musos, two of which are percussionists. It makes for one hell of a racket. The closest thing I can compare it to is The Boredoms.

There's also a lot of very clever use of computer animation and film, and live cameras on and off stage. The lighting is also brilliant.

There was a bit of audience participation, artworks made live on and off stage, paint everywhere, massive weather balloon-size balls invaded the theatre, a lot of laughs, and not a single word said by the blue dudes. There's no need for psychedelic drugs in this world when there's this instead.

5 fists

I am Deth!!! Fukk You!!! 我死了!你他媽的!나는 죽음 이다! 엿 먹어 !私は死です!あなたをファック!أنا الموت! اللعنة عليك !Я - смерть! Пошел на хуй !איך בין טויט! באַרען איר!میں موت ہوں! تم بھاڑ میں جاؤ !Olen kuolema ! Haista vittu !Είμαι ο θάνατος ! Γαμήσου !Yr wyf marwolaeth ! Ffyc chi!Ek is die dood! Fok jou !मैं मृत्यु हूं! फक यू!

"Anyone who says a bad fuck is better than a good wank has obviously never had either." - my mate Anthony

Metalcore- parting morons from their money since ages ago.

Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:48 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

My brother and his wife saw Guns n' Roses the other night, and said they were in top form and sounded really good. He's a fanboy, so not sure I trust his opinion of the show. Alice In Chains is the opening act/special guest. I'd go more to see them than GNR, but fuck those ticket prices.

Sun Jul 03, 2016 1:08 am
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Vim Fuego wrote:
Saw The Blue Man Group last night. I was expecting a bit of banging around on PVC pipes and a bit of mime. What I got was just fucking incredible!

The three blue guys do whack lots of stuff, but they're backed by four other musos, two of which are percussionists. It makes for one hell of a racket. The closest thing I can compare it to is The Boredoms.

There's also a lot of very clever use of computer animation and film, and live cameras on and off stage. The lighting is also brilliant.

There was a bit of audience participation, artworks made live on and off stage, paint everywhere, massive weather balloon-size balls invaded the theatre, a lot of laughs, and not a single word said by the blue dudes. There's no need for psychedelic drugs in this world when there's this instead.

5 fists

Blue Man is a tremendous show. I've seen a couple different company productions, but they were of similar quality. Full sensory usage. So much more than banging on pots and pipes.

Technique only exists to do justice to your potential

Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:50 am
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

In Chicago for a couple of fests this weekend. First ever Chicago Open Air had a fair mix. Bigger names were SLIPKNOT, who were raging, FIVER FINGER DEATH PUNCH, who were really not raging, MANSON, who was quite good, but clearly whacked out on goofballs, MINISTRY where Al was in a mood and the band didn't pop like they usually do. No Tommy Victor either.

I'll focus on who I was there for starting with MESHUGGAH. Focusing exclusively on "Obzen " and "Koloss", save for "New Millennium..." was not a let down for me. They pulled out some tunes they don't really air live. "The Hurt that Finds You First" and "Marrow" inparticular. Finishing with "Dancers to a Discordant System" was genius and I love that they keep twisting and tweaking "Lethargica" so it sounds a little different each time.

RAMMSTEIN. Name a band with a bigger more bonkers stage show than these guys in the last 15 years? You can't. Fire fucking everywhere. It being in a stadium setting, full on sky filling explosives timed to the band were a thing of beauty. Huge sound. Huge spectacle.

HELMET cranked out some LOUD riffage on the main stage and sounded every bit as vital as they ever have. CARCASS only got 35 minutes, so they decided to basically eschew "Surgical Steel" which I loved. DEAFHEAVEN are more interesting to listen to than to watch. If their guitar players and bassist could muster an ounce of their frontman's energy, they'd have hooked me in. The songs they played, however, all followed the same structure, so it became predictable, Jury is still out on these guys.

I don't know how GOJIRA manages to keep getting better. Every time I think they may have peaked, they fucking mop the floor with everyone with some new level they've achieved. New stuff sounds beautiful live. Looking forward to their tour later this year.

COC got jobbed by only getting 5 songs, but I was glad to see Reed Mullin behind the kit. BABYMETAL. No decision to made here, really. Once over the best example of "WTF??" there has ever been, we find that the band can play and the ladies aren't just eye candy for paedos. It's all massive amounts of fun.

Saturday night, I blew off BREAKING BENJAMIN, KORN and DISTURBED to catch the Metal Threat Fest downtown. Walked in to catch DESTRUCTOR and AT WAR, both of whom were much better than I remember. Then, we were treated to a full set from RAZOR. Riff master Dave Carlo seized control of all things thrash with his uncanny and unparalleled skill in the creative department. Heads were banging like nobody's business and by the time "Evil Invaders" finished their set, I was quite hoarse.

Not that the original threesome from EXCITER gave two damns for my condition. I was urged to thrash like it was 19 fucking 85 and I complied until I broke. That guitar tone from John Ricci is as deadly as ever, which was proven by hearing "Iron Dogs" properly for the first time in 30 years. Let's just talk about Dan Beehler. This man was a beast back when he was a yungin'. I came prepared to give him and father time the benefit of the doubt, but Beehler was having none of it. He pummeled everything in site for 90 minutes. All the while, that high pitched scream of his being very much on point. I'm trying to conjure up a set list, but they played a fuck ton of songs, all from the first 3 albums. I limped back to the hotel properly fucked and all the better for it.

Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:31 am
Climate Control
Climate Control

Are Ministry a thing again now, or was it his new group?

Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:57 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Ginger Wildheart Band, Newcastle Trillians Last night.

Bugger me it was hot down there, and absolutely packed. I was hungover and really tired and felt so uncomfortable I nearly went home at one point, glad I stayed though. really great gig. Band were on form, good selection of material and as an encore Danny and Stidi got up and played on some old Wildhearts material. Was glad to stop sweating out of my ears though.

Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:55 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Solaris wrote:
Are Ministry a thing again now, or was it his new group?

A thing again. Roy Mayorga on drums, who was quite good the other night. Guitar player from PISSING RAZORS and one of PRONG'S old bass players. Bechdel on keyboards still. Al says he's got a bunch of songs and is ready to do an album without Mike Scaccia, so I would imagine something new from the studio at some point.

Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:24 pm
Climate Control
Climate Control

I wish I could say I was surprised, but he's pulled the old "that's it, we're finished"/hey presto! new Ministry album shit before. I'm guessing his other band didn't take off? From what I heard from them, it's hardly surprising.

Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:40 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3594 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 175, 176, 177, 178, 179, 180  Next