www.Terrorizer.com - View topic - Last Gig Attended.
TERRORIZER FRONT PAGE
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:19 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3645 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 173, 174, 175, 176, 177, 178, 179 ... 183  Next
 Last Gig Attended. 
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

Post Re: Last Gig Attended.
He had a corpse-painted mask thing on for the first part of the set, then took it off when they brought all the fire and pigs heads out.

Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:08 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

You've got to admire a band that offers a lot more live than just presenting their studio albums on stage. Especially when their studio output is as consistently ordinary as Nargaroth's recorded output is.

Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:51 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Herbstleyd's fuckin amazing, rest is a bit meh

Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:53 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

I agree that it's their best but I wouldn't say it's amazing either.

Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:57 pm
Lifer, Deather, Hesher, Whatever.

Pearl Jam at Madison Square Garden last night. 3 hours - 35 songs - absolute magic.

Mon May 02, 2016 3:35 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

ChrisLiebing wrote:
Pearl Jam at Madison Square Garden last night. 3 hours - 35 songs - absolute magic.

A couple friends made the trek from SoCal for those shows. That set list is insane.

Oh, here it is!

I'm not a big PJ guy, but this looked pretty damn well worth it.

Technique only exists to do justice to your potential

Mon May 02, 2016 9:17 pm

Duckstyle wrote:
ChrisLiebing wrote:

A couple friends made the trek from SoCal for those shows. That set list is insane.

Oh, here it is!

I'm not a big PJ guy, but this looked pretty damn well worth it.

Even if you're not a PJ fan, seeing them live is an experience like no other.

So fucking good.

A different set list every night. Over 3 hours of music. Bring their A game despite all being in their 50s. Bad ass.

Mon May 02, 2016 11:29 pm
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

Totally agree, I'm not a very big PJ fan but I saw them at Milton Keynes a couple of years ago and it was magical. They played for something like 3 and 3/4 hours and it was just great.

Tue May 03, 2016 12:32 am
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Black Tor Gathering was pretty good at the weekend. I went with a mate I hadn't seen for a few months so we ended up just walking around the Dales talking for and missing the bands. It was weird in the warm sun with everything covered in snow. Old Corpse Road treated us to some new material from the forthcoming album and Burial was crushing as ever.
Fucked off before A Forest Of Stars as I was freezing and tired and sober by that point.
Saw Yakult who used to post on here but she had no idea who I was.

Tue May 03, 2016 7:00 pm
NoVice
NoVice

Megadeth, Lamb of God, Children of Bodom and Sylosis. It was ace. Though id have preferred just Megadeth and Sylosis, and have longer sets.

Thu May 05, 2016 10:19 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Just got home from the Maiden show. Vim's summary did not mislead; they were excellent. Bruce was in top form, and was hitting some phenomenal notes that had me shaking my head at times. I did notice that his performance was generally better with the BoS songs, but that is understandable; newer songs may very well inspire him more at this point compared with songs that he's been singing for 30 years.

I would have to disagree with Vim's statement which was that this show was better than their last in these parts (2008 Flight 666 tour). Quite frankly, the BoS songs do not hold up live in the same way their classics do, and there's not too much you can do about that. The crowd was far more excited about songs like The Trooper and Hallowed Be Thy Name (obviously) than even the BoS title track (which was my favourite from that album this show). I was among that opinion in the crowd. Also Vim, I'm delighted to say that Tears of a Clown was just as shite live as it was on the album. I would have found a place to take a nap, however, the floor was sticky where I was and the 110dB makes it hard to catch some z's as well. Quite a shame. The energy in the room during that song was about half as much as the better BoS songs, and the better BoS songs had the crowd half as energetic as the classics; it was obviously a dud.

This takes me to another BoS song, which as Opaline said, fell very fucking flat on the Sydney audience tonight. Climb like a Fucking Monkey (I don't know the actual song title) did not wow Sydney audiences quite like it did in the rest of the world ( :D :D ). Instead, I saw one single person in the front row doing it on the first chorus, on the second I saw about five, and on the third I saw about 20. Bruce then proceeded to do the gesture to individual groups in the audience to get it happening, which, let's be honest, if Bruce is doing it in front of you, you're going to do it with him. At the end of the song he then got the whole crowd doing it, as there was no longer any music to distract the audience from 'climbing like a monkey'. Good monkey fun was had that night... not really. Sorry Bruce.

Stage antics were entertaining; Bruce muting Nicko's cymbals on impact which successfully sabotaged ol' Nicko's drumming, Bruce draping the UK flag on Janick, to the extent where he couldn't really play his guitar (which of course made no difference whatsoever to the overall sound for reasons we won't go into here), Janick's usual fighting of the robotic Eddie on the stage, Bruce surfing on a stack of speakers to the left of the stage, forcing two men from security to stabilise the speakers for him, Bruce wearing some kind of plastic balaklava during Powerslave (no idea, really)... and that's all I can think of for now.

Overall, it was a really good show, I'd say about 4.5/5 for most likely the last show of Maiden I'll ever see and -.5 fists for Tears of a Clown, Climb Like a Monkey and another one or two BoS songs which had me sitting back down in my chair watching a very loud movie. Janick was an important source of energy on stage, especially in Bruce's absence during long instrumental portions, so it's easy to forgive his dodgy playing.

Up the Fucking Irons.

"Grishknackh was a man of contradiction... filled with dishonour. Once he said himself to be an elf, I look upon him as a cowardly squealing orc!"
- Mortiis, 1995
Cosmic Equilibrium wrote:
In all honesty I rate Killers below Virtual XI.

Fri May 06, 2016 3:15 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

As long as steve can still get his foot up on a monitor and fire imaginary low frequence bullets from his bass I'll be happy

Fri May 06, 2016 6:03 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Baphomet wrote:
Just got home from the Maiden show. Vim's summary did not mislead; they were excellent. Bruce was in top form, and was hitting some phenomenal notes that had me shaking my head at times. I did notice that his performance was generally better with the BoS songs, but that is understandable; newer songs may very well inspire him more at this point compared with songs that he's been singing for 30 years.

I would have to disagree with Vim's statement which was that this show was better than their last in these parts (2008 Flight 666 tour). Quite frankly, the BoS songs do not hold up live in the same way their classics do, and there's not too much you can do about that. The crowd was far more excited about songs like The Trooper and Hallowed Be Thy Name (obviously) than even the BoS title track (which was my favourite from that album this show). I was among that opinion in the crowd. Also Vim, I'm delighted to say that Tears of a Clown was just as shite live as it was on the album. I would have found a place to take a nap, however, the floor was sticky where I was and the 110dB makes it hard to catch some z's as well. Quite a shame. The energy in the room during that song was about half as much as the better BoS songs, and the better BoS songs had the crowd half as energetic as the classics; it was obviously a dud.

This takes me to another BoS song, which as Opaline said, fell very fucking flat on the Sydney audience tonight. Climb like a Fucking Monkey (I don't know the actual song title) did not wow Sydney audiences quite like it did in the rest of the world ( :D :D ). Instead, I saw one single person in the front row doing it on the first chorus, on the second I saw about five, and on the third I saw about 20. Bruce then proceeded to do the gesture to individual groups in the audience to get it happening, which, let's be honest, if Bruce is doing it in front of you, you're going to do it with him. At the end of the song he then got the whole crowd doing it, as there was no longer any music to distract the audience from 'climbing like a monkey'. Good monkey fun was had that night... not really. Sorry Bruce.

Stage antics were entertaining; Bruce muting Nicko's cymbals on impact which successfully sabotaged ol' Nicko's drumming, Bruce draping the UK flag on Janick, to the extent where he couldn't really play his guitar (which of course made no difference whatsoever to the overall sound for reasons we won't go into here), Janick's usual fighting of the robotic Eddie on the stage, Bruce surfing on a stack of speakers to the left of the stage, forcing two men from security to stabilise the speakers for him, Bruce wearing some kind of plastic balaklava during Powerslave (no idea, really)... and that's all I can think of for now.

Overall, it was a really good show, I'd say about 4.5/5 for most likely the last show of Maiden I'll ever see and -.5 fists for Tears of a Clown, Climb Like a Monkey and another one or two BoS songs which had me sitting back down in my chair watching a very loud movie. Janick was an important source of energy on stage, especially in Bruce's absence during long instrumental portions, so it's easy to forgive his dodgy playing.

Up the Fucking Irons.

My thoughts on last night's show:

* It was a fucking top quality 4.5/5 heavy metal show.

* The last time Maiden was in Sydney was 2011 & I saw them on that tour. The 2011 show was quite flat & last night was miles better than that.

* The new material went down great. Especially the first couple of tracks which had the crowd going nuts. They picked all of the best songs off "The Book Of Souls" & there were a lot of people jumping up & down & singing along with the choruses. The only new song that fell flat with me was "The Red & The Black" which was always one of the weaker tracks on the album. It's overlong & sounds very pieced together but the rest of the crowd didn't seem to mind too much. Obviously the old classics got the biggest cheers but that was always going to be the case regardless of the quality of the new material. From my vantage point in the middle of the dancefloor about a third of the way back the crowd response was very enthusiastic all night.

* "Tears Of A Clown" is one of the best songs on the album & I loved it last night. I'd love to know where the hate for it is coming from here because it seems unjustified to me.

* I never said that "Death Or Glory" left the crowd flat. I just said that the crowd didn't do the monkey movements along with Bruce. The song still went down well.

* Janick is a fucking embarrassment & shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a stage. His playing wasn't such a problem (although you could barely hear him unless he was soloing) but he looks like a complete wanker & adds nothing to the overall sound. The other two guitarists were quite brilliant last night. Bruce was amazingly energetic & charismatic.

* The stage production & videos were absolutely awesome.

Sat May 07, 2016 4:24 am
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Baphomet wrote:

Also Vim, I'm delighted to say that Tears of a Clown was just as shite live as it was on the album. I would have found a place to take a nap, however, the floor was sticky where I was and the 110dB makes it hard to catch some z's as well. Quite a shame. The energy in the room during that song was about half as much as the better BoS songs, and the better BoS songs had the crowd half as energetic as the classics; it was obviously a dud.

I wouldn't expect Aussies to get it. Too subtle. :P

Baphomet wrote:

"Death or Glory", old boy. I was right at the very back of the stadium the other night, and I could see what was happening right down to the front. By the end of the song just about everyone was doing it.

Baphomet wrote:

Bruce wearing some kind of plastic balaklava during Powerslave (no idea, really)

I'd thought it was a gimp mask myself. :D

Baphomet wrote:

Up the Fucking Irons.

Oh fuck yeah! \m/ :twisted: \m/

I am Deth!!! Fukk You!!! 我死了!你他媽的!나는 죽음 이다! 엿 먹어 !私は死です!あなたをファック!أنا الموت! اللعنة عليك !Я - смерть! Пошел на хуй !איך בין טויט! באַרען איר!میں موت ہوں! تم بھاڑ میں جاؤ !Olen kuolema ! Haista vittu !Είμαι ο θάνατος ! Γαμήσου !Yr wyf marwolaeth ! Ffyc chi!Ek is die dood! Fok jou !मैं मृत्यु हूं! फक यू!

"Anyone who says a bad fuck is better than a good wank has obviously never had either." - my mate Anthony

Metalcore- parting morons from their money since ages ago.

Sat May 07, 2016 7:55 am
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

opaline wrote:
* I never said that "Death Or Glory" left the crowd flat. I just said that the crowd didn't do the monkey movements along with Bruce. The song still went down well.

What I meant was that the whole 'climb like a monkey' gimmick fell flat, not that the song itself left the audience flat.
opaline wrote:
The only new song that fell flat with me was "The Red & The Black" which was always one of the weaker tracks on the album. It's overlong & sounds very pieced together but the rest of the crowd didn't seem to mind too much.

Strange, I thought it was quite good live (assuming it's the long song they played that night which I didn't really recognise; the whole new album is a blur to me really). The crowd was definitely into it, and I also heard someone nearby me at the end of the song saying to his friend "now that was fucking good!". Worked well for me too.

I thought I'd briefly mention the opening act, because I forgot to do so last night. 'The Raven Age' weren't too bad; I turned up for their last three songs I think. I didn't mind the first two all that much, but the final one they played entitled 'Angel in Disgrace', which was about a fist and a half better than the previous ones had me head banging a good deal. It was a case of the songs sounding better due to the live energy, but they were a lot better than Lauren-fucking-Harris. I quite liked the drummer too. 3.5/5 for what I saw of their performance.

"Grishknackh was a man of contradiction... filled with dishonour. Once he said himself to be an elf, I look upon him as a cowardly squealing orc!"
- Mortiis, 1995

Sat May 07, 2016 8:53 am
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

You do know The Raven Age is Steve Harris' son George's band, right?

Sat May 07, 2016 9:04 am
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

No, I wasn't aware. But that doesn't contradict my statement that they were better than Lauren Harris' band. 8-)

- Mortiis, 1995

Sat May 07, 2016 9:16 am
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Only Jayden Smith is real.

Sat May 07, 2016 11:09 am
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Only Jaden Vixen is real!

Sat May 07, 2016 11:43 am
Climate Control
Climate Control

robitusson wrote:
Only Jayden Smith is real.

I would merrily kerbstomp that talent-free piece of nepotism-fuelled shit.

Sat May 07, 2016 12:48 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3645 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 173, 174, 175, 176, 177, 178, 179 ... 183  Next