www.Terrorizer.com - View topic - Last Gig Attended.
TERRORIZER FRONT PAGE
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed May 22, 2019 12:08 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3642 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 174, 175, 176, 177, 178, 179, 180 ... 183  Next
 Last Gig Attended. 
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Post Re: Last Gig Attended.
Seig heil to that, Kamerad!

Sat May 07, 2016 3:58 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Steve wants to stop this Max Cavalera like nepotism.

Sat May 07, 2016 4:40 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

opaline wrote:
Baphomet wrote:
Just got home from the Maiden show. Vim's summary did not mislead; they were excellent. Bruce was in top form, and was hitting some phenomenal notes that had me shaking my head at times. I did notice that his performance was generally better with the BoS songs, but that is understandable; newer songs may very well inspire him more at this point compared with songs that he's been singing for 30 years.

I would have to disagree with Vim's statement which was that this show was better than their last in these parts (2008 Flight 666 tour). Quite frankly, the BoS songs do not hold up live in the same way their classics do, and there's not too much you can do about that. The crowd was far more excited about songs like The Trooper and Hallowed Be Thy Name (obviously) than even the BoS title track (which was my favourite from that album this show). I was among that opinion in the crowd. Also Vim, I'm delighted to say that Tears of a Clown was just as shite live as it was on the album. I would have found a place to take a nap, however, the floor was sticky where I was and the 110dB makes it hard to catch some z's as well. Quite a shame. The energy in the room during that song was about half as much as the better BoS songs, and the better BoS songs had the crowd half as energetic as the classics; it was obviously a dud.

This takes me to another BoS song, which as Opaline said, fell very fucking flat on the Sydney audience tonight. Climb like a Fucking Monkey (I don't know the actual song title) did not wow Sydney audiences quite like it did in the rest of the world ( :D :D ). Instead, I saw one single person in the front row doing it on the first chorus, on the second I saw about five, and on the third I saw about 20. Bruce then proceeded to do the gesture to individual groups in the audience to get it happening, which, let's be honest, if Bruce is doing it in front of you, you're going to do it with him. At the end of the song he then got the whole crowd doing it, as there was no longer any music to distract the audience from 'climbing like a monkey'. Good monkey fun was had that night... not really. Sorry Bruce.

Stage antics were entertaining; Bruce muting Nicko's cymbals on impact which successfully sabotaged ol' Nicko's drumming, Bruce draping the UK flag on Janick, to the extent where he couldn't really play his guitar (which of course made no difference whatsoever to the overall sound for reasons we won't go into here), Janick's usual fighting of the robotic Eddie on the stage, Bruce surfing on a stack of speakers to the left of the stage, forcing two men from security to stabilise the speakers for him, Bruce wearing some kind of plastic balaklava during Powerslave (no idea, really)... and that's all I can think of for now.

Overall, it was a really good show, I'd say about 4.5/5 for most likely the last show of Maiden I'll ever see and -.5 fists for Tears of a Clown, Climb Like a Monkey and another one or two BoS songs which had me sitting back down in my chair watching a very loud movie. Janick was an important source of energy on stage, especially in Bruce's absence during long instrumental portions, so it's easy to forgive his dodgy playing.

Up the Fucking Irons.

My thoughts on last night's show:

* It was a fucking top quality 4.5/5 heavy metal show.

* The last time Maiden was in Sydney was 2011 & I saw them on that tour. The 2011 show was quite flat & last night was miles better than that.

* The new material went down great. Especially the first couple of tracks which had the crowd going nuts. They picked all of the best songs off "The Book Of Souls" & there were a lot of people jumping up & down & singing along with the choruses. The only new song that fell flat with me was "The Red & The Black" which was always one of the weaker tracks on the album. It's overlong & sounds very pieced together but the rest of the crowd didn't seem to mind too much. Obviously the old classics got the biggest cheers but that was always going to be the case regardless of the quality of the new material. From my vantage point in the middle of the dancefloor about a third of the way back the crowd response was very enthusiastic all night.

* "Tears Of A Clown" is one of the best songs on the album & I loved it last night. I'd love to know where the hate for it is coming from here because it seems unjustified to me.

* I never said that "Death Or Glory" left the crowd flat. I just said that the crowd didn't do the monkey movements along with Bruce. The song still went down well.

* Janick is a fucking embarrassment & shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a stage. His playing wasn't such a problem (although you could barely hear him unless he was soloing) but he looks like a complete wanker & adds nothing to the overall sound. The other two guitarists were quite brilliant last night. Bruce was amazingly energetic & charismatic.

* The stage production & videos were absolutely awesome.

I pretty much agree with Op - top show all around. I didn't stay for the encore because I'm still jetlagged as hell - but for me of the older material - The Trooper and Hallowed really stood out. For the newer material the BOS title track was really well done. I would have liked to see a song selection from left field - say these Colours Don't Run or The Clansman - but apart from that- top notch

Sun May 08, 2016 11:25 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Baphomet wrote:
No, I wasn't aware. But that doesn't contradict my statement that they were better than Lauren Harris' band. 8-)

I didn't know that either, but this statement is true.

I am Deth!!! Fukk You!!! 我死了!你他媽的!나는 죽음 이다! 엿 먹어 !私は死です!あなたをファック!أنا الموت! اللعنة عليك !Я - смерть! Пошел на хуй !איך בין טויט! באַרען איר!میں موت ہوں! تم بھاڑ میں جاؤ !Olen kuolema ! Haista vittu !Είμαι ο θάνατος ! Γαμήσου !Yr wyf marwolaeth ! Ffyc chi!Ek is die dood! Fok jou !मैं मृत्यु हूं! फक यू!

"Anyone who says a bad fuck is better than a good wank has obviously never had either." - my mate Anthony

Metalcore- parting morons from their money since ages ago.

Mon May 09, 2016 12:27 am
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

This was a bit good!

Mon May 09, 2016 3:54 pm
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Tez forum all standing at the back frowning with arms folded and tutting at all the headbanging and horns throwing going on.

Mon May 09, 2016 5:30 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

robitusson wrote:
Tez forum all standing at the back frowning with arms folded and tutting at all the headbanging and horns throwing going on.

I was right in the back row at Maiden the other night. If you were any further back, you were outside. Didn't do much headbanging cos the pretty lights were too mesmerizing, and didn't fold my arms, but I did throw a few horns. Sorry... :oops:

I am Deth!!! Fukk You!!! 我死了!你他媽的!나는 죽음 이다! 엿 먹어 !私は死です!あなたをファック!أنا الموت! اللعنة عليك !Я - смерть! Пошел на хуй !איך בין טויט! באַרען איר!میں موت ہوں! تم بھاڑ میں جاؤ !Olen kuolema ! Haista vittu !Είμαι ο θάνατος ! Γαμήσου !Yr wyf marwolaeth ! Ffyc chi!Ek is die dood! Fok jou !मैं मृत्यु हूं! फक यू!

"Anyone who says a bad fuck is better than a good wank has obviously never had either." - my mate Anthony

Metalcore- parting morons from their money since ages ago.

Mon May 09, 2016 10:52 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

I didn't fold my arms, I threw a few horns (but mainly fists) and my neck has only just stopped feeling stiff today. :D

"Grishknackh was a man of contradiction... filled with dishonour. Once he said himself to be an elf, I look upon him as a cowardly squealing orc!"
- Mortiis, 1995
Cosmic Equilibrium wrote:
In all honesty I rate Killers below Virtual XI.

Tue May 10, 2016 1:43 am
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Weakling wrote:

This was a bit good!

I gots the chills watching that. Nice one!!

Technique only exists to do justice to your potential

Wed May 11, 2016 11:54 pm
Infant-ile
Infant-ile

Corrosion of Conformity, Clutch and Lame sorry Lamb of God - June 4th

I will apologise up front that I don't take pics a la Spiny (I was too far away as it turned out) and I waited too long to try to remember the order of the set lists.

COC played first:

No messing around, they got out there close to expected time. Opened with Paranoid Opioid, then went into Broken Man. I was struck pretty quickly by the heaviness of their sound - much heavier than on the albums I've listened to. They did play Albatross but didn't play my favourite Heaven's Not Overflowing, nor did they play Stone Breaker which I think is one of their best.

They also seemed to me to be playing a bit slower and I felt the drummer had some timing issues once or twice. I ran into a friend who without me mentioning it said exactly the same thing. He was down on the floor right up at the front and he also mentioned that Pepper was missing a pickup and wondered about that. Then he discovered him down at the merch table after the Clutch set signing things, came and found me and we went back. I took my friend's pic with Pepper (yes I'm doing that deliberately) who then asked about it. Friend is a pretty talented guitarist who is quite earnest about his music, and so we both laughed when Pepper just said - 'oh, it fell out'. It wasn't some sort of mysterious musical effect that he'd been trying to achieve. Anyway he was being the anti-Bieb and very accommodating with as many fans as were interested. Signed my friend's jacket. By the way I was prepared to hear that Keenan's voice had weakened but it hasn't. Sounded good - I enjoyed them overall and I actually really liked the heavier sound.

Clutch -

I think you all know how much of a fan-girl I am so of course I enjoyed them a lot. Here's the set list -

x-Ray Visions
Firebirds
Sea of Destruction
Decapitation Blues
Gravel Road
The Mob Goes Wild
Earth Rocker
Noble Savage
A Quick Death in Texas
DC Sound Attack - a very extended version
The Face

My guy Neil has clearly recovered completely from his back surgery of a while ago, he was his usual forceful presence, leaping about. I've heard that Decap Blues is about his surgery but I haven't read that myself. Anyway they played very well - I've never seen them do anything else actually. The young men sitting beside me were clearly left cold by the entire set as they checked their phones and sat stone faced throughout, affecting as much boredom as possible. But they were there for Lame of God so fuck them. What else needs to be said, Clutch always delivers.

Lame of God

I made myself stay for part of it, I thought I needed to approach them with an open mind, give them another try. They had a fairly elaborate stage setup of blocks of video screens surrounding and in front of the drummer who was up quite high on a platform. There were lights of all sorts wildly flashing all the time and I decided the reason the drummer was buried behind the video screens was so he could actually keep time and not be distracted by the epileptic fit inducing light show. The crowd was going wild and people were immediately being crowd surfed out over the front barrier. There was probably a good 15 to 20 feet between the edge of the stage and the barrier - we Canadians like to keep things safe.

I lasted through 5 songs and then left. The lightrail transit I needed to get home was disrupted and shuttle buses were running so I used that as my early exit excuse. Nothing has changed regarding my opinion of them - they are so samey. Every song sounded the same, the drumming sounded exactly the same. The vocals are in the category I like to describe as 'ROT-RAWWWWW!' because that's all that can be made out, over and over again.

The most interesting thing that happened was one poor fellow who was hauled out over the barrier right at the end of a song. Blythe noticed him and started talking to the crowd about what was happening. The poor guy had lost his pants as he came over and then I could see he was injured/wasted and was having great trouble getting them back up again. Blythe talked to the crowd for quite a bit and then dedicated the next song 'TO THE FUCKING GUY WHO LOST HIS FUCKING PANTS!!!!!'

I should mention this show was at a stupid hockey arena - yet again we are forced to listen to bands in ridiculous concrete echo chambers, so I suppose I should cut the vocalist a bit of slack - but hey - Neil handled it. His voice was clear except for one song. His mic was either switched low or just cut out but was back again clear as a bell next song.

I had fun. It's been a while since I went to a show and hey - no one projectile vomited any where near me although one poor guy was trying to take a piss on the pedestrian ramp spiral on the way to the shuttle bus and it was all he could do to stay on his feet. I felt sorry for him actually because he was alone and I was worried that he wouldn't get home with no one to look after him. Not enough to stop though as I didn't want to give someone the chance to maintain my previous 100% track record of witnessing projectile vomiting at every show.

The End

Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:59 am
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Nachtmahr and Shiv-r in Swansea. TOO FUCKING HOT!

Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:40 am
Climate Control
Climate Control

l-c wrote:

I will apologise up front that I don't take pics a la Spiny (I was too far away as it turned out) and I waited too long to try to remember the order of the set lists.

COC played first:

No messing around, they got out there close to expected time. Opened with Paranoid Opioid, then went into Broken Man. I was struck pretty quickly by the heaviness of their sound - much heavier than on the albums I've listened to. They did play Albatross but didn't play my favourite Heaven's Not Overflowing, nor did they play Stone Breaker which I think is one of their best.

They also seemed to me to be playing a bit slower and I felt the drummer had some timing issues once or twice. I ran into a friend who without me mentioning it said exactly the same thing. He was down on the floor right up at the front and he also mentioned that Pepper was missing a pickup and wondered about that. Then he discovered him down at the merch table after the Clutch set signing things, came and found me and we went back. I took my friend's pic with Pepper (yes I'm doing that deliberately) who then asked about it. Friend is a pretty talented guitarist who is quite earnest about his music, and so we both laughed when Pepper just said - 'oh, it fell out'. It wasn't some sort of mysterious musical effect that he'd been trying to achieve. Anyway he was being the anti-Bieb and very accommodating with as many fans as were interested. Signed my friend's jacket. By the way I was prepared to hear that Keenan's voice had weakened but it hasn't. Sounded good - I enjoyed them overall and I actually really liked the heavier sound.

Clutch -

I think you all know how much of a fan-girl I am so of course I enjoyed them a lot. Here's the set list -

x-Ray Visions
Firebirds
Sea of Destruction
Decapitation Blues
Gravel Road
The Mob Goes Wild
Earth Rocker
Noble Savage
A Quick Death in Texas
The Face

My guy Neil has clearly recovered completely from his back surgery of a while ago, he was his usual forceful presence, leaping about. I've heard that Decap Blues is about his surgery but I haven't read that myself. Anyway they played very well - I've never seen them do anything else actually. The young men sitting beside me were clearly left cold by the entire set as they checked their phones and sat stone faced throughout, affecting as much boredom as possible. But they were there for Lame of God so fuck them. What else needs to be said, Clutch always delivers.

Lame of God

I made myself stay for part of it, I thought I needed to approach them with an open mind, give them another try. They had a fairly elaborate stage setup of blocks of video screens surrounding and in front of the drummer who was up quite high on a platform. There were lights of all sorts wildly flashing all the time and I decided the reason the drummer was buried behind the video screens was so he could actually keep time and not be distracted by the epileptic fit inducing light show. The crowd was going wild and people were immediately being crowd surfed out over the front barrier. There was probably a good 15 to 20 feet between the edge of the stage and the barrier - we Canadians like to keep things safe.

I lasted through 5 songs and then left. The lightrail transit I needed to get home was disrupted and shuttle buses were running so I used that as my early exit excuse. Nothing has changed regarding my opinion of them - they are so samey. Every song sounded the same, the drumming sounded exactly the same. The vocals are in the category I like to describe as 'ROT-RAWWWWW!' because that's all that can be made out, over and over again.

The most interesting thing that happened was one poor fellow who was hauled out over the barrier right at the end of a song. Blythe noticed him and started talking to the crowd about what was happening. The poor guy had lost his pants as he came over and then I could see he was injured/wasted and was having great trouble getting them back up again. Blythe talked to the crowd for quite a bit and then dedicated the next song 'TO THE FUCKING GUY WHO LOST HIS FUCKING PANTS!!!!!'

I should mention this show was at a stupid hockey arena - yet again we are forced to listen to bands in ridiculous concrete echo chambers, so I suppose I should cut the vocalist a bit of slack - but hey - Neil handled it. His voice was clear except for one song. His mic was either switched low or just cut out but was back again clear as a bell next song.

I had fun. It's been a while since I went to a show and hey - no one projectile vomited any where near me although one poor guy was trying to take a piss on the pedestrian ramp spiral on the way to the shuttle bus and it was all he could do to stay on his feet. I felt sorry for him actually because he was alone and I was worried that he wouldn't get home with no one to look after him. Not enough to stop though as I didn't want to give someone the chance to maintain my previous 100% track record of witnessing projectile vomiting at every show.

The End

Sounds great - apart from LOG, obviously - to the extent that I'd catch that line-up if they came over here. A friend of mine is a big LOG fan, and her 10 year old daughter is developing an ear for them too, so we said we'd hit it if it happened. I doubt it will (COC and Clutch both played recently), but you never know...

Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:04 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

l-c wrote:

COC played first:

Clutch -

x-Ray Visions
Firebirds
Sea of Destruction
Decapitation Blues
Gravel Road
The Mob Goes Wild
Earth Rocker
Noble Savage
A Quick Death in Texas
The Face

Lame of God

The End

Well observed about COC. http://www.metalsucks.net/2016/06/06/co ... -god-tour/

With you on the LOG front. All I ever hear is PANTERA and SLAYER when they're on.

Technique only exists to do justice to your potential

Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:35 pm
Infant-ile
Infant-ile

Wow - yikes about COC's drummer having to leave the tour. That was the very next night after I saw them. I hope he can get healthier.

Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:57 pm
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

I've just got back from the Temples-Festival-that-never-was: Much credit must be given to the Fleece and The Exchange for filling at the last minute and actually making a good weekend out of it.

Band of the weekend was most definitely All Pigs Must Die who played one of the most intense and powerful sets I've seen for a long time. Honourable mentions must go to Conan, who seem to have added a lot more dynamics to their sound since the last time I saw them; Arabrot, who were most excellent; Ohhms who were seriously entertaining, despite technical issues (they lost power to one side of the stage part-way through, I found out after from the lead singer); and The Groundhogs, who brought a cool retro vibe to the Sunday.

Negative mentions must be given to Rameses, who were shambolic (it's never good when the guitarists have to count in the drummer part-way through the songs), and Primitive Man, who were just monotonous (although, I suspect that's the point) and should be introduced to two words: Groove and rhythm.

Bongripper were a bit meh, and Dragged into Sunlight suffered from a muddy sound and the fact they were one of the bands that followed All Pigs Must Die. Jucifer continue to confuse, saved by the drummer who was entertaining, both visually and musically.

We didn't bother going to Mayhem on the Friday and, judging by the people we spoke to who did go, we didn't miss much. I'd rather not give my money to the cunts that are Mayhem.

All in all, an enjoyable weekend, especially given the circumstances. A big thank you to the venues for the excellent salvage-job.

Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:26 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Saw Seabastard and Primitive Man in newcastle on Wednesday.

Seabastard were ace as usual, primitive man have never really been my thing.

Got to talk to Cromwell for a bit and see Yailbloor too.

Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:28 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

DOWNLOAD - SUNDAY

The weather was shit, the rivers of mud were hideous, and the toilets were life-changing, but how were the bands...?

Monster Truck - Inoffensive hard rock. Heard worse, heard better.
2.5 Fists

Amon Amarth - Fantastic. I honestly couldn't have hand-picked a better set.
4.5 Fists

The King Is Blind - Steev absolutely killed it in the Dogtooth tent.
4 Fists

Muncie Girls - Whoever their vocalist is, she clearly can't sing to save her fucking life.
2 fists

Halestorm - Lizzy Hale is lovely, knows how to work a crowd, and her band have a handful of good songs too.
3 Fists

Tremonti - Heavier than expected.
3 Fists

Shinedown - Never in my life (outside of Nickelback, of course) have I heard such turgid, generic, soulless and instantly forgettable arena rock. Shinedown? Shitedown, more like.
0 Fists.

Disturbed - Not everyone's cup of tea but I've always had a soft spot for them, and Draiman's virtually solo cover of the Sound of Silence was the performance of the whole day, bar none. Their cover of Baba O'Reilly, featuring a guest appearance by a horribly-out-of-his-depth Blaze Bayley, was most certainly not.
3.5 Fists

Nightwish - One of the best performances I've ever seen by them. When Floor first joined the band she looked nervous, but now her performance is filled with swagger, humour and charm.
4.5 Fists

Iron Maiden - The new stuff sounds great and the old stuff sounds great, but Bruce's voice was more than a little erratic, ranging between crap and amazing, sometimes in the same line. Powerslave and Children of the Damned were incredible, and everybody climbed like a monkey during Death or Glory. Still, even with Bruce's occasionally wobbly voice, they were still easily band of the day.
5 Fists.

Bonus picture of my muddy boots.

They got worse.

Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:43 pm
Profile WWW
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Municipal Waste in newcastle on Tuesday were excellent. Small venue was full and the audience went absolutely mental, couple of crowd killer wanker types though but it didn't spoil the atmosphere.
Saw Michael Easton there too (we no longer work together).

Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:17 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

What's a crowd killer wanker type?

Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:04 pm
Climate Control
Climate Control

Necrolee wrote:
Municipal Waste in newcastle on Tuesday were excellent. Small venue was full and the audience went absolutely mental, couple of crowd killer wanker types though but it didn't spoil the atmosphere.
Saw Michael Easton there too (we no longer work together).

Is Dave Witte still on drums with them?

Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:51 am
Reply to topic   [ 3642 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 174, 175, 176, 177, 178, 179, 180 ... 183  Next