www.Terrorizer.com - View topic - King Diamond
TERRORIZER FRONT PAGE
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:38 am

Reply to topic  [ 187 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 King Diamond 
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

Post Re: King Diamond to hit the road again!
Stat_Rad wrote:
Painkiller wrote:
Again, I really enjoyed the Ghost album, and I'd much rather listen to Fate than Lamb Of God, but I do find the "real Metal is better than Poser Metal" argument silly and self-defeating.

i don't find it silly and self defeating at all. I think it's important to commit to a notion of authenticity.

Authenticity is one thing, and I've ranted about False Metal as much as any other Manowar fan, the problem I have is when people seem to use the words "Metal" and "good" as interechangable. Bands can be shit and still Metal, just as they can be flamboyantly "false" and still good.

Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:52 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Painkiller wrote:
Authenticity is one thing, and I've ranted about False Metal as much as any other Manowar fan, the problem I have is when people seem to use the words "Metal" and "good" as interechangable. Bands can be shit and still Metal, just as they can be flamboyantly "false" and still good.

It's interesing the way fans often will be quick to say 'yeah they are ok but they are not metal', but then deny the fact that they might be assigning higher or lower qualities based on that evaluation. A friend of mine always does that with Slipknot. 'They aren't metal'. What are they then?

I agree the most important distinction is between good metal and shit metal. 'Poser metal' generally falls in the shit metal category(obviously), but i think there are less posers than people think. Just shitty clueless musos that made bad metal, that's all.

Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:47 am
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Painkiller wrote:

HR speaks the truth. :!:

Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:43 pm
Infant-ile
Infant-ile

Post King Diamond
Ok - I'd like to hear from anyone about their rating of King Diamond/Mercyful Fate - but specifically King Diamond as a solo. Is he really someone who has had a significant impact that I should try harder to listen to or can I be easy with my dislike of his vocal stylings?

edit to add that I scanned down the first page of threads in the music section looking for one devoted to KD but then gave up when I saw there were 46 pages of music threads. Mods if you want to merge this thread with an existing KD thread please do so.

Sun May 15, 2016 5:30 pm
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

Post Re: King Diamond
Difficult question. On the one hand, his vocal style is definitely quite intense, and also unique in a way - excepting of course all the imitators since then, plus apparently Byron from Uriah Heep (in some songs at least, cf. "Bird of Prey"*) might have been an influence on it - that a dislike of it really makes listening to any bands King was involved in all but impossible, with a headache guarantee :D On the other hand, however, there is so much else to like there, guitar- and songwriting-wise, that I would definitely recommend to persevere!

Although the goal should probably not be to completely ignore the vocals, cause that will never be possible given his style. But once the music has clicked into place for you, the vocals and their place in it might make more sense to.

Maybe Mercyful Fate would be the better starting point then, as their songs are standalone songs, while (almost) every King Diamond album is a concept work with a (cheesy but cool) story line. Not an expert on Mercyful Fate though, and I think everybody agrees best starting point their is "Don't Break The Oath" - so I will, since I just love LaRocque's guitar leads in KD, just link some KD stuff that might get you into it!

*Here's the Uriah Heep song, just in case:

Sun May 15, 2016 5:50 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

King Diamond is certainly worth perservering with. I was firmly in the same camp as you are initially but the quality of the guitar eventually won me over & once I was won over I genuinely started to enjoy the vocals.

Sun May 15, 2016 9:36 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

You can't go wrong with Abigail and The Eye for the solo stuff. As for MF - either of the first two LPs will work...

Mon May 16, 2016 3:03 am
Climate Control
Climate Control

Melissa and DBTO are essential Mercyful Fate.

Need to brush up on my KD before the Lahndahn gig.

Mon May 16, 2016 3:25 am
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

I heard The Eye when it first came out, and "Sleepless Nights" on the Thrash The Wall compilation was great, but King Diamond has never excited me to any great undie creaming level. Yes, I can appreciate his vocals, but sometimes wonder if he really HAD to sing like that, because it occasionally distracts from the songs. I bought the five album box set a while back, and I've listened to all those albums at least once, but I have no great desire to go back again. I might be missing the point of Kind Diamond, but I'm not particularly concerned. And I've only ever heard a few Mercyful Fate songs.

I am Deth!!! Fukk You!!! 我死了!你他媽的!나는 죽음 이다! 엿 먹어 !私は死です!あなたをファック!أنا الموت! اللعنة عليك !Я - смерть! Пошел на хуй !איך בין טויט! באַרען איר!میں موت ہوں! تم بھاڑ میں جاؤ !Olen kuolema ! Haista vittu !Είμαι ο θάνατος ! Γαμήσου !Yr wyf marwolaeth ! Ffyc chi!Ek is die dood! Fok jou !मैं मृत्यु हूं! फक यू!

"Anyone who says a bad fuck is better than a good wank has obviously never had either." - my mate Anthony

Metalcore- parting morons from their money since ages ago.

Mon May 16, 2016 3:55 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

I like KD and MF a lot, so I'm a little biased. I'd say that most of their albums are worth listening to. The first two MF's are metal classics, obviously, and In The Shadows and Time are really good as well.

As for KD, Abigail and Them are great albums. The Eye is another winner. You can't really go wrong with 80's KD. I'm also quite fond of The Spider's Lullabye and Abigail II, but those albums tend to divide fans. In fact, you'll find that consensus tends to break down with KD in the mid 90's, which was when he started releasing solo albums again. It breaks with MF after the first two albums.

Last edited by Stat_Rad on Mon May 16, 2016 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon May 16, 2016 5:57 am
Darth Fucking Vader
Darth Fucking Vader

l-c wrote:
Ok - I'd like to hear from anyone about their rating of King Diamond/Mercyful Fate - but specifically King Diamond as a solo. Is he really someone who has had a significant impact that I should try harder to listen to or can I be easy with my dislike of his vocal stylings?

edit to add that I scanned down the first page of threads in the music section looking for one devoted to KD but then gave up when I saw there were 46 pages of music threads. Mods if you want to merge this thread with an existing KD thread please do so.

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=7790

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=7763

etc.

Merge or hovel.

Mon May 16, 2016 8:12 am
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

I would start with Fatal Portrait, since it is less obviously concepty. A great and very overlooked album in my opinion.

Mon May 16, 2016 10:51 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

It gets overlooked because it is transitional, but it has some great songs. e.g Jonah, Dressed In White etc.

Definitely a 4 fister.

Mon May 16, 2016 12:36 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Like many, I was by no means a fan of his vocals upon first listen (I first heard him on Fate's Melissa album). I left him alone for a few years, but then decided to give him another go. I picked up Abigail and gave it a shot, and it was a strange experience for me. While listening to the album, I was able to (mostly) look past the strange vocals and enjoy the music itself (which was in many ways quite phenomenal on that album), but once I reached the title track 'Abigai', I somehow threw all reservations about his vocal style out the window. I enjoyed the track so much that it turned my opinion on his vocals upside down, and I then proceeded to listen to all of the Fate albums and all of the KD albums that had been released up to that point. I couldn't get enough of those albums, and King Diamond's vocal style had grown on me immensely.

In terms of albums I would recommend, I would actually say the Mercyful Fate s/t EP from 1982 as well as Melissa would be a good starting point. King Diamond's solo albums were always more falsetto- laden, so if you're not a fan of that style, albums like Fatal Portrait may not be for you. You may grow to like the vocals, or you may never warm to them, but I can say that even those who by now love the vocals, most everyone started out with reservations, or straight up dislike when it came to King Diamond's style.

If you want to persevere with the falsetto vocals, 'Abigail' is a must, along with 'Them' and its sequel album 'Conspiracy'. Honestly, all of KD's solo albums between 1986 and 1990 are 5 fisters, or at least very close to that. 'Don't Break the Oath' is another 5 fister, so give that a listen too when you can.

Like Statters, I am a big fan of MF/KD, with both interchangeable as my favourite metal band across the board. There is likely to be some bias in my recommendations. ;)

"Grishknackh was a man of contradiction... filled with dishonour. Once he said himself to be an elf, I look upon him as a cowardly squealing orc!"
- Mortiis, 1995
Cosmic Equilibrium wrote:
In all honesty I rate Killers below Virtual XI.

Mon May 16, 2016 1:43 pm
Climate Control
Climate Control

Another one here who hated his singing at first but once you get used to it, it all works somehow. I can't imagine anyone else singing those songs, even though after a while it can be a tad overwhelming and sometimes you wish someone else would give it a go. My recommendations are the ones you'd expect:

Mercyful Fate: s/t EP and Melissa, with Don't Break The Oath in the runner up position.

King Diamond: Abigail and Them.

I haven't heard everything by either MF or his solo band, but the only one I have heard that didn't do much for me was Mercyful Fate's 9. It was OK, but no better than that.

Mon May 16, 2016 3:38 pm
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

This must be the most consensus ever on here!

Mon May 16, 2016 4:12 pm
Infant-ile
Infant-ile

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions and comments. I will follow up.

Mon May 16, 2016 4:22 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

I would suggest that all of these should be essential listening:

Mercyful Fate E.P.
Melissa
Don't Break The Oath
Fatal Portrait
Abigail
Them
Conspiracy
The Puppet Master

Mon May 16, 2016 10:21 pm
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

Can't claim to have a deep knowledge of Mercyful Fate or the solo stuff but his vocals are fucking superb. Amazingly passionate and utterly unique. And yes, he call pull it off live. DBTO, Melissa and Abigail are 15 fists together and he puts on a hell of a live show. His set was the highlight of Hellfest 2012.

Tue May 17, 2016 12:20 am
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

I must say i never liked the Conspiracy LP...apart from Sleepless Nights the songs just aren't there on that one....

Tue May 17, 2016 12:39 am
Reply to topic   [ 187 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next