www.Terrorizer.com - View topic - King Diamond
TERRORIZER FRONT PAGE
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:43 am

Reply to topic  [ 187 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
 King Diamond 
Fluffy Bunny Rabbit
Fluffy Bunny Rabbit

Post Re: King Diamond
Abigail II and Give Me Your Soul Please are the KD's least good albums, you can even say mediocre. Abigail II gets my vote for worst KD album because it is nowhere near good the original and I *HATE* the story twist....

Post-The Eye King rankings:

Spider's Lullabye is shockingly inferior to the first 5 and at the time it was extremely painful to hear the band lose so much of its glory (namely the drummer, the second lead guitarist and the vastly inferior sound production) but the songwriting is still great. 7/10 for those reasons.

The Graveyard, suffers from the same problems but has more cohesion, thanks to the (very interesting) story line. 7/10

Voodoo, the best post-The Eye album. 8/10

House of God: 7/10, some great songs (in the "new" KD style, not 80s calibre) some not so great.

Abigail II: 6/10, 5/10 for me, for staining the Abigail name.

The Puppet Master: 8/10, second best from this era.

Give Me Your Soul Please: 6/10. Mediocrity saved by the storyline and the overall absence of exciting heavy metal at the time of its release. Which holds true for all of the above albums since 1995.

-----

Listening to KD without the lyrics is missing half the fun.

Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:33 pm
Profile WWW
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

After recent listening, I've finally settled on a ranking for the 1986 - 1990 albums that I'm pretty comfortable with.

1. Abigail
2. Fatal Portrait
3. Them
4. The Eye
5. Conspiracy

All 5/5 albums. I actually almost prefer Fatal Portrait to Abigail, but because I think they're equal in sonic quality, Abigail edges out Fatal Portrait due to its concept. I get so much enjoyment out of Fatal Portrait; it's just a delightful ride from start to finish, the production is perfect and it has never failed to play in its entirety and keep me entertained the whole time.

"Grishknackh was a man of contradiction... filled with dishonour. Once he said himself to be an elf, I look upon him as a cowardly squealing orc!"
- Mortiis, 1995
Cosmic Equilibrium wrote:
In all honesty I rate Killers below Virtual XI.

Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:10 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

I went through a massive King Diamond rediscovering phase at the end of last year/early this year. It was great. I actually forgot how great Fatal Portrait is. I still think it's front loaded, but there are some absolutely amazing songs on there. e.g Lurking In The Dark, Johan, Dressed in White etc. Denner really worked his magic on that one.

Abigail begins with arguably the best opening tracks of a metal album of that time (e.g The Arrival and Mansion In Darkness).

I also listened to MF stuff as well, especially their first 4. Time is damn underrated. It has an almost 'classy' and 'refined' sound to it, and Shaw brings a real swing type feel to songs like The Witch's Dance. It also has great deep album cuts like The Afterlife, and the production strikes the right balance between grit and polish.

It's true that it lacks the magic of Melissa and Don't Break The Oath, but it's a slick and professional album made by mature musicians at the height of their technical powers.

Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:10 am
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

I remember someone on here saying that Don't Breath the Oath was considerably inferior to Melissa, which I really can't understand. I think they're quite different albums in a number of ways but are about equal. They're just masterful.

"Grishknackh was a man of contradiction... filled with dishonour. Once he said himself to be an elf, I look upon him as a cowardly squealing orc!"
- Mortiis, 1995
Cosmic Equilibrium wrote:
In all honesty I rate Killers below Virtual XI.

Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:05 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

RainbowPrince wrote:
I remember someone on here saying that Don't Breath the Oath was considerably inferior to Melissa, which I really can't understand. I think they're quite different albums in a number of ways but are about equal. They're just masterful.

Both awesome. Have been on a massive old MF buzz lately.

Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:28 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

I just posted in the now listening thread that I'm listening to a CDR comp and then I clicked on this thread and guess which song just came on.... Abigail by King Diamond. Too freaky.

Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:27 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

RainbowPrince wrote:

It was probably Colin! :D

Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:56 pm
Reply to topic   [ 187 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10