www.Terrorizer.com - View topic - Top 3 albums/discs/vinyl/eps of the week!
TERRORIZER FRONT PAGE
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:15 am

Reply to topic  [ 8048 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 398, 399, 400, 401, 402, 403  Next
 Top 3 albums/discs/vinyl/eps of the week! 
Climate Control
Climate Control

Post Re: Top 3 albums/discs/vinyl/eps of the week!
No.

Both Countdown... and Youth... are poor albums. Their last decent album was their peak: Rust In Peace. Dawn Patrol aside, it's utterly perfect. The next two albums were their attempt to emulate Metallica's success but only yielded embarrassing results. Megadeth has been a caricature of itself since.

Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:41 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Chinese Whispers wrote:
It’s probably slightly below Countdown... for me, but I think it’s still a really great example of a streamlined metal album. Even though the song quality maybe dips towards the end, the melodies and hooks are still strong enough for me to enjoy aback-to-front listen.

I Thought I Knew It All is a real tune though. I forgot how good it was. I can accept that Black Curtain is just decent and nothing more and Victory is a bit cheesy, but they aren't bad songs by any stretch.

Unlike Op, I rate CTD as top tier Megadeth.

Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:32 am
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Stat_Rad wrote:
Chinese Whispers wrote:
It’s probably slightly below Countdown... for me, but I think it’s still a really great example of a streamlined metal album. Even though the song quality maybe dips towards the end, the melodies and hooks are still strong enough for me to enjoy aback-to-front listen.

I Thought I Knew It All is a real tune though. I forgot how good it was. I can accept that Black Curtain is just decent and nothing more and Victory is a bit cheesy, but they aren't bad songs by any stretch.

Unlike Op, I rate CTD as top tier Megadeth.

Yeah, I don’t have a problem with the backend of Youthanasia, just not as strong as the front half overall (though these days I can do without ‘A Tout Le Monde’, if I’m being honest). It’s solid, but nothing really jumps out as much as ‘Reckoning Day’, ‘Train of Consequences’, or ‘Addicted to the Chaos’. I agree on ‘I Thought I Knew It All’, that chorus is irresistible.

Countdown... is top tier Megadeth in my books.

Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:47 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Chinese Whispers wrote:
Yeah, I don’t have a problem with the backend of Youthanasia, just not as strong as the front half overall (though these days I can do without ‘A Tout Le Monde’, if I’m being honest). It’s solid, but nothing really jumps out as much as ‘Reckoning Day’, ‘Train of Consequences’, or ‘Addicted to the Chaos’. I agree on ‘I Thought I Knew It All’, that chorus is irresistible.

I'm a bit sick of A Tout Le Monde too, but those first 3 songs are just :shock: Train of Consequences is probably the most flat out fun Megadeth song. Incredible solo too.

I love Peace Sells....., but to me the lineup with Friedman and Menza was pure magic.

Cryptic Writings has its moments, but it's really disjointed. They were just firing off in a number of different directions hoping that something would stick.

Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:21 am
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

The line-up with Friedman and Menza is definitely the definitive MD lineup, even though for most the only "true" thrash/metal album they did was Rust In Peace (which is my personal favourite - I think 'Holy Wars' was the first track by them I had heard, though I could be wrong, it may have been 'Peace Sells', and when I was a young, budding guitarist, it was right up my alley).

The albums they made after, even though they are obviously more commercially focused, they managed to do it in a way where they never really compromised the core tenants of their sound (the overused Metallica comparison is unfortunately apt here, as both Load and ReLoad were big departures).

You could make an argument that Cryptic Writings started to show cracks in that, as they definitely threw the kitchen sink in, and experimented with textures they would never have touched before, but I enjoy the different directions they go in there, and admire the eclectic nature of the whole album. I know I'm in the minority there. Or maybe it just wasn't Risk :lol:

Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:08 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

I reckon Mustaine was just so desperate to have a breakthrough hit that he didn't care where it came from after 1995. This sense of desperation was evident on Cryptic, but it reached truly pathetic levels on Risk.

Cryptic Writings has a lot of problems imo. It's very overproduced, which works for songs like Trust and Secret Place, but the thrashy type songs don't sound nearly as good. You are right that it's eclectic and that there is a certain bravery in it, but overall I just can't say it's a great album. It's certainly a shitload better than Risk and Supercollider though.

Supercollider is probably Megadeth's most baffling album in a way. It just came out of nowhere and seemed completely wrongheaded for them in 2013. While they jumped the shark with Risk, it did roughly follow their general trajectory since CTD of watering down their sound. Supercollider was just a reckless move, the sound of a band throwing caution to the the wind after they had spent the previous decade rebuilding their brand.

Rust was my introduction to Megadeth too. It blew me the hell away in the early 90's. Couldn't believe how advanced it sounded. It's a truly special metal album, and the complete last word in 80's thrash.

Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:43 am
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

The strangest thing about Risk, at least to me, is that if they were attempting at having a ‘hit’, is just how out of touch the album is with the times. Cryptic Writings at least had some alternative influences which you could see maybe appealing to a wider audience, whereas Risk sounds like a late-80s pop rock album.

Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:26 am
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:56 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Autopsy - "Mental Funeral" (1991)

Stars Of The Lid - "The Tired Sounds Of" (2001)

Manilla Road - "Open The Gates" (1985)

Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:23 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:54 pm
Profile WWW
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Last edited by blacklorre on Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:55 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Darkthrone - "Transilvanian Hunger" (1994)

Sepultura - "Arise" (1991)

Dismember - "Like An Ever Flowing Stream" (1991)

Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:15 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

^^Great set of albums there.

ImageImageImage

Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:18 am
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:12 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

^^I listened to half of that Candlemass last night. Sounds like the best thing they have put out in ages, and I'm not a huge fan of Epicus either. I like the way his voice has matured though.

Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:43 am
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Armored Saint - "Delirious Nomad" (1985)

Tim Hecker - "Harmony In Ultraviolet" (2006)

W.A.S.P. - "The Last Command" (1985)

Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:50 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

ImageImageImage

^^Big week or so for releases. New Queensryche too, which i haven't heard in full, but I'm very satisfied with the new DT, Candlemass and Claypool/Lennon.

Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:42 am
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:33 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Really pleasantly surprised by the Avantasia album. The last album of his/theirs I thought was worthwhile was The Metal Opera Part 2 (which I can't believe came out 17 years ago). It's like a joyous Jim Steinman meets Andrew Lloyd Webber by way of power metal kind of album.

Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:06 pm
Profile WWW
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:50 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8048 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 398, 399, 400, 401, 402, 403  Next