www.Terrorizer.com - View topic - Your evolving tastes...
TERRORIZER FRONT PAGE
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:30 am

Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Your evolving tastes... 
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Post Your evolving tastes...
Especially regarding Metal, we've (mostly) all been here a long time and most users are 30+ and all of us regardless of age have been listening to Metal and "extreme music" for a very long time. Our tastes have had a chance to become refined and basically, lets face it, despite our enthusiasm for music, we are jaded old cynics who have seen/heard it all before. That may be because Metal or even popular music is exhausting itself, that doesn't preclude new sounds and styles, it just makes them a lot more rare.

This is not a thread about how "modern Metal is shit", let's not do that again. What I;m curious about is, as hard bitten Metal heads have you had any recent(ish) changes in taste? Have you gone off a genre you used to love? Or started to love one you were indifferent to?

Both are the case with me, I have more or less completely gone off the more saccharine/cheesy "gay" Metal I used to like, despite being mocked as Nightwish fan, which I was happy to play up to, I only ever really liked Once... and can't remember the last time I listened to them. I don't like the two new Dragonforce albums which Richie and Steev love, I'm also off cheesy Folk Metal, I was totally unmoved by the last Finntroll, though this may be simply because it isn't very good, as I still like the previous stuff. I do like what I've heard from the new Edguy that everyone is raving about, that may the exception that proves the rule.

The biggest change for me, is liking really horrible Death Metal, my way into this was Portal, Vexovoid is phenomenal, I like all the bands of a similar ilk: Grave Upheaval, Impetuous Ritual et al. I have played the hell out of Coloured Sands and Pyrrhon's Mother of Virtues and have in the week or so have been getting into Coffin Worm, Artificial Brain and Flourishing, all recommeded or played by people on here. I used to actually dislike DM.

So, anyone here had recent changes in musical taste they weren't expecting?

Mon May 05, 2014 12:22 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Post Re: Your evolving tastes...CAN A MOD MOVE THIS TO MUSIC? CHE
wasn't expecting to get back into death metal like i have recently. Not able to connect with black metal as much nowadays. I think my love for that kind of died off in the late 90's or so. Also don't care for much cheesy power metal unless it's from the classic bands.

Mon May 05, 2014 12:26 pm
Climate Control
Climate Control

Post Re: Your evolving tastes...
Not in terms of genre, really. Maybe rediscovering genres I'd left behind (DM, thrash) and enjoying them anew, a mix of nostalgia and the fun of discovering new (either actually, or just new to me) bands doing something that I like or hadn't indulged in for a while. I've lately gone through splurges of DM and, more recently, thrash and have enjoyed rediscovering old classics, hearing previously unheard classics for the first time or just exploring the newer bands doing that thing.

At one point I was a big fan of (stupid term) post-metal, post-rock, that kind of sound but it's been a long time since I enjoyed anything like that, with the exception of a couple of Neurosis, Isis, Cult Of Luna albums. Whether I over-indulged at the time and just got sick of it, or something else got my attention and I just left it behind, I'm not sure but when I consider how much I loved that sound at the time, it's certainly surprising to have so little interest in it now. A similar thing happened more recently with the whole stoner metal/doom thing. I definitely overdid that one to the point that I don't listen to anything like that much now either, but it's good to go back and do some quality control and clear the decks somewhat.

Mon May 05, 2014 1:24 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

^agree about so called 'post-metal'. I definitely overdosed on that style/sound 10 years ago, and it didn't take long to get sick of it either.

Melodic death has sounded like ass cheeks to me now for at least 10 or so years, unless it's early In Flames and early to mid period D.T

EDIT: I haven't liked cheesy folk metal since the 90's really. I enjoyed some of the early black metal bands that moved into that territory, but the whole Fintroll thing just passed me by.

Last edited by Stat_Rad on Mon May 05, 2014 2:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mon May 05, 2014 1:33 pm
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

I know i have been falling out with metal for years now, what has surprised me is just how much I don't want to listen to metal. I read this forum, i see the spazzing over DM but i simply cannot bring myself to want to listen to it.

I was buying into the thrash bands like kreator, Overkill, Testament etc and their recent albums, but even that feels like a bit of a fad for me. If any release a new album, currently i wouldn't buy it.

Mon May 05, 2014 2:26 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

yeh when Overkill released 'Ironbound' it felt like the third coming of old school melodic thrash but i'm a little tired of all that stuff too.

Age definitely is part of it. Metal simply hasn't evolved enough in the last decade or so for me to give a shit. When you are young and getting into it the enthusiasm is there, but time definitely changes your relationship to it.

I don't think modern metal is shit but i don't find it particularly exciting either. The excitement is tied to the visceral response, and that diminishes with age and experience.

Mon May 05, 2014 2:30 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Like Statters, I was surprised how much I enjoyed new death metal bands/albums the last few years. For the longest time I found very little in the genre that interested me. And again, like Statters, the opposite is true of black metal. There is very little there for me now.

I'm not as interested in what happens in doom (or "stoner") now either, too many indistinct sounds, too many supposed "occult" bands. Yawn. There is still the odd exception mind.

Other than that, my interest in old country and blues continues to grow, the more I go back, the better it gets.

Without getting into the whole "sound/production" debate again (or wishing to look like I'm just dismissing new music because it doesn't sound "old school") both that, and the lack of genuinely exciting singers, dictate what I listen to now when it comes to new bands as much as anything else.

Mon May 05, 2014 2:41 pm
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

Stat_Rad wrote:
yeh when Overkill released 'Ironbound' it felt like the third coming of old school melodic thrash but i'm a little tired of all that stuff too.

Age definitely is part of it. Metal simply hasn't evolved enough in the last decade or so for me to give a shit. When you are young and getting into it the enthusiasm is there, but time definitely changes your relationship to it.

I like the fact Spiny remains so enthusiastic about thrash, in part I wish i wasn't so fucking down on metal, but what I like now gives me what i want from the music listening experience. Not sure it is age related, I have been listening to other types of music for just as long as still like listening to them

Mon May 05, 2014 2:56 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

The Wretch wrote:
Like Statters, I was surprised how much I enjoyed new death metal bands/albums the last few years. For the longest time I found very little in the genre that interested me. And again, like Statters, the opposite is true of black metal. There is very little there for me now.

Black metal is in real trouble now. Even the whole USBM thing has died down and is generally less vibrant than it was even 3-4 years ago.

I am enjoying this death metal boom while it lasts and i expect it will get boring real soon ., hah

Mon May 05, 2014 2:57 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

I think my tastes have remained more or less on an even path. They broaden, but slowly. I rarely if ever 'go off' something entirely, it's mostly a case of me playing it too much and needing a break.

Mon May 05, 2014 3:13 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Ironically I am right into Black Metal having largely ignored it for the best part of 20 years. I guess the philosophy of it put me off - more in the sense that it just for such a large period of time seemed to be about knobheads burning down churches and killing one another. There are some obvious classics out there that I was aware of already from Darkthrone, Mayhem, Immortal etc but as well as these I have discovered some less known treats like Summoning, Drudkh and Darkspace.

The bonkers DM style still features heavily in my listening habits too but I have virtually no time for doom or stoner as of late. Increasingly I am branching out into dark synthwave and retro electro too but I have lost all interest in noise at present.

Mon May 05, 2014 3:19 pm
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

It's only in the last two years that I've really got into dance music. Especially 80's/early 90's house, D'n'b and deep house. Great stuff.

Mon May 05, 2014 3:48 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Stuffstuff wrote:
It's only in the last two years that I've really got into dance music. Especially 80's/early 90's house, D'n'b and deep house. Great stuff.

Did you start taking ecstasy about two years ago too, perchance?

http://seabastard.bandcamp.com/

turdy wrote:
Great tits and slow as fuck doom are Cromwell's Raison d'être.

Mon May 05, 2014 4:07 pm
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

:lol: :lol:

No, seriously it's good sober. Never did take to acid/hard house, mind.

Mon May 05, 2014 4:43 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Cromwell wrote:
Stuffstuff wrote:

Did you start taking ecstasy about two years ago too, perchance?

When I first listened to heavy metal I started doing drugs straight away. Had a serious coke problem at the age of 13!

Mon May 05, 2014 6:55 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Ahh...

Mon May 05, 2014 7:19 pm
Climate Control
Climate Control

I like music.

Mon May 05, 2014 7:31 pm
Climate Control
Climate Control

Astro Black wrote:
I like music.

I am drinking polish beer, got a taste for it lately.

Mon May 05, 2014 7:35 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

ah yes, Tyskie is my lager of choice currently^

Also got a bit more into DM this past couple of years, i think this just means the newer bands are doing something new and good,. Still as much into BM as ever but i think if you're not into the Deafhaven style there's prob slimmer pickings for you.

otherwise the real broadening for me has been into prog-rock, indeed most of my gigs/music-making is in this area now.

Mon May 05, 2014 8:07 pm
Profile WWW
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Astro Black wrote:
I like music.

No, you don't.

Mon May 05, 2014 8:11 pm
Reply to topic   [ 69 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next