www.Terrorizer.com - View topic - Rob Zombie claims that U.S rock never recovered from grunge.
TERRORIZER FRONT PAGE
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:19 am



Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Rob Zombie claims that U.S rock never recovered from grunge. 
Author Message
Super Trooper
Super Trooper
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:23 pm
Posts: 5190
Post Re: Rob Zombie claims that U.S rock never recovered from gru
Solaris wrote:
lawnchair redux wrote:
also a diva:

Image

Does diva not refer to singers (specifically headlinging opera singers, a la prima donna), or does it extend to ballet as well?


It started as a strictly opera thing but was extended to ballet dancers and then it went downhill from there. I allow that Karen Kain was a diva - a prima ballerina assoluta in my books. Fools who know no better today seem to think that any old shit singer is a diva and/or being a diva means throwing a tantrum. I wonder what it's like to be as wrong as they are.


Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:47 am
Profile
Super Trooper
Super Trooper
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:23 pm
Posts: 5190
Post Re: Rob Zombie claims that U.S rock never recovered from gru
The Wretch wrote:
I saw someone in a pink one yesterday. I know for a fact she hates any and all rock music.


was she wearing it ironically?


Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:50 am
Profile
Star Trooper
Star Trooper
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:49 pm
Posts: 3688
Location: Australia.
Post Re: Rob Zombie claims that U.S rock never recovered from gru
Do people wear Ramones tees ironically?

My brother got into a hipster battle not too long ago. He was wearing a Television 'Marquee Moon' t-shirt, and someone challenged him had he even listened to the album. Unfortunately my brother is a learned hipster and knew just about everything, stuff that his adversary was unaware of, and whom had to check on Wikipedia to confirm.

_________________
Image


Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:27 am
Profile
Online
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:23 pm
Posts: 20757
Post Re: Rob Zombie claims that U.S rock never recovered from gru
Challenged eh? Hah. I remember meeting two kids years ago that were wearing Gummo shirts and they had never seen the film. One of them didn't even know it was a film!

Young bucks can go either way though. They can be ignorant as shit about these sort of things, or they can be ultra knowledgeable because they have the kind of access to information that we didn't have at 20.

As for Pink, she has a great figure and puts on a decent show--i went to see her around 10 years ago with a girl i was seeing at the time--but musically she is bloody boring. She is one of those pop 'artists' that fancies herself a real 'eclectic' type because she puts on a number of different uniforms without committing to anything but the end result is ultimately superficial, even for pop.

I guess in some ways we can blame Michael Jackson for artists that use rock guitars in pop songs as appendages, but at least he had the good sense to actually hire quality musicians that had status in the genre. e.g Eddie Van Halen, Slash. That's because Jackson was at least self aware enough musically to know his place. He never thought of himself as 'rock', it wasn't his universe, but he liked to dabble in it occasionally with the help of experts. Pink, on the other hand, tries to market herself as the 'cool rock chick' but she just comes off like a manly tryhard.

The 'cool rock chick' thing almost never works. Maybe Courtney Love pulled it off back in her heyday but the rest didn't. The best approach is the L7 and early Veruca Salt approach for female rock artists. but Pink isn't rock so I'm getting a little sidetracked here!

_________________
Image


Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:12 am
Profile
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:18 pm
Posts: 12848
Location: Leigh
Post Re: Rob Zombie claims that U.S rock never recovered from gru
Chinese Whispers wrote:
Do people wear Ramones tees ironically?


I don't know about ironically, but I know a few people who have them but don't know any of the bands music. Ditto the Rolling Stones.

My mate has a Ramones shirt, and a chap came up to him and asked him what his favourite Ramones song was, and without thinking too hard just said Beat on the Brat. The chap didn't know what to say, as apparently most people he asks either don't know they're a band or have never listened to them. So to actually have an answer stumped him a bit.

_________________
Last.fm


Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:25 am
Profile WWW
Star Trooper
Star Trooper
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:49 pm
Posts: 3688
Location: Australia.
Post Re: Rob Zombie claims that U.S rock never recovered from gru
Annihislater wrote:
Chinese Whispers wrote:
Do people wear Ramones tees ironically?


I don't know about ironically, but I know a few people who have them but don't know any of the bands music. Ditto the Rolling Stones.

My mate has a Ramones shirt, and a chap came up to him and asked him what his favourite Ramones song was, and without thinking too hard just said Beat on the Brat. The chap didn't know what to say, as apparently most people he asks either don't know they're a band or have never listened to them. So to actually have an answer stumped him a bit.


Yeah, that is my point I guess. It is essentially a brand/logo, and that's it. They have them in the department stores here.

Mind you, it is a bit prickish to be asking people what their favourite Ramones song is just to witness them have no answer. Good on your mate for out hipster-dueling him.

_________________
Image


Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:29 am
Profile
Super Trooper
Super Trooper
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:58 am
Posts: 5037
Post Re: Rob Zombie claims that U.S rock never recovered from gru
Don't all Ramones songs sound the same?

_________________
Image


Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:37 am
Profile
Climate Control
Climate Control
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 04, 2010 9:02 pm
Posts: 43905
Location: Béal Átha na Slua
Post Re: Rob Zombie claims that U.S rock never recovered from gru
Wretch will have a fit, but there isn't a lot of variation there. Saying that, my Ramones song of choice is Somebody Put Something In My Drink, which isn't typical of their sound.


Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:57 am
Profile
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:18 pm
Posts: 12848
Location: Leigh
Post Re: Rob Zombie claims that U.S rock never recovered from gru
Chinese Whispers wrote:
Annihislater wrote:
Chinese Whispers wrote:
Do people wear Ramones tees ironically?


I don't know about ironically, but I know a few people who have them but don't know any of the bands music. Ditto the Rolling Stones.

My mate has a Ramones shirt, and a chap came up to him and asked him what his favourite Ramones song was, and without thinking too hard just said Beat on the Brat. The chap didn't know what to say, as apparently most people he asks either don't know they're a band or have never listened to them. So to actually have an answer stumped him a bit.


Yeah, that is my point I guess. It is essentially a brand/logo, and that's it. They have them in the department stores here.

Mind you, it is a bit prickish to be asking people what their favourite Ramones song is just to witness them have no answer. Good on your mate for out hipster-dueling him.

If he'd have asked me I'd have said words to the effect, "controversial though it is to pick a song from their time on chrysalis records over the tracks on their earlier more definitely punk albums, I think I would have to plump for Poison Heart or Pet Semetary, the latter of which was written for use in the film of which it takes it name from, based on the novel by Steven King." Just to really try and out-hipster him :lol:

Cuchulainn wrote:
Don't all Ramones songs sound the same?

Yes and no. A lot follow the basic punk forumla of shorts songs, 3 chords, standard 4/4 rock beat etc. But they do have songs that deviate from the forumula, certainly later into their career where they seemed to go a little poppier. I think I prefer the poppier stuff myself.

Compare:
Blitzkrieg Bop
Sheena is a Punk Rocker
I Wanna Be Sedated

to:
Pet Sematary
Poison Heart
My Brain Is Hanging Upside Down (Bonzo Goes to Bitburg)

_________________
Last.fm


Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:59 am
Profile WWW
Super Trooper
Super Trooper
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:58 am
Posts: 5037
Post Re: Rob Zombie claims that U.S rock never recovered from gru
Solaris wrote:
Wretch will have a fit, but there isn't a lot of variation there. Saying that, my Ramones song of choice is Somebody Put Something In My Drink, which isn't typical of their sound.

Ahh, Wretch knows I'm only acting the goat. I was never a Ramones fan so I can only comment on what I've heard. Which all sounds the same. :)

_________________
Image


Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:02 pm
Profile
Online
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:23 pm
Posts: 20757
Post Re: Rob Zombie claims that U.S rock never recovered from gru
Chinese Whispers wrote:
Annihislater wrote:
Chinese Whispers wrote:
Do people wear Ramones tees ironically?


I don't know about ironically, but I know a few people who have them but don't know any of the bands music. Ditto the Rolling Stones.

My mate has a Ramones shirt, and a chap came up to him and asked him what his favourite Ramones song was, and without thinking too hard just said Beat on the Brat. The chap didn't know what to say, as apparently most people he asks either don't know they're a band or have never listened to them. So to actually have an answer stumped him a bit.


Yeah, that is my point I guess. It is essentially a brand/logo, and that's it. They have them in the department stores here.

Mind you, it is a bit prickish to be asking people what their favourite Ramones song is just to witness them have no answer. Good on your mate for out hipster-dueling him.


Hipsters never try to duel with me. I think that reason is, despite my short stature, I emanate a masculine aura that is far too much for them to handle, plus i have a booming voice ;)

_________________
Image


Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:29 pm
Profile
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:28 am
Posts: 20765
Location: Éire
Post Re: Rob Zombie claims that U.S rock never recovered from gru
Cuchulainn wrote:
Solaris wrote:
Wretch will have a fit, but there isn't a lot of variation there. Saying that, my Ramones song of choice is Somebody Put Something In My Drink, which isn't typical of their sound.

Ahh, Wretch knows I'm only acting the goat. I was never a Ramones fan so I can only comment on what I've heard. Which all sounds the same. :)


:lol: No, I admit it, there isn't much variation there, especially if you are a more casual listener. It is one really good song though. :D


Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:18 pm
Profile
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:54 pm
Posts: 11256
Post Re: Rob Zombie claims that U.S rock never recovered from gru
The Wretch wrote:
bás wrote:
Pink gets on my tits so very much. Tom boy rock chick bollocks can really just fuck off and die slowly and horribly.


Rock for these people is black nail varnish and a t shirt of a band they've never heard. You always know when they haven't got a clue, because they call themselves a "rock chick", just because they own a Foo Fighters album and Bon Jovi's greatest hits and they own a pair of designer tattered jeans, presumably to wear at some bullshit festival.

They couldn't rock their way out of a wet paper bag.


My ex had big issues with this. She's a Motley Crue fan, but wouldn't buy the Crue shirts from Topshop as she didn't want to look like someone trying to be a 'rock chick'. She insisted she'd wear their shirts when she'd seen then and bought it at the gig.

I have respect for that attitude.

_________________
http://sabaziusdoom.wordpress.com/

http://seabastard.bandcamp.com/

turdy wrote:
Great tits and slow as fuck doom are Cromwell's Raison d'être.


Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:00 pm
Profile
Super Trooper
Super Trooper
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:40 pm
Posts: 9041
Location: Illinois
Post Re: Rob Zombie claims that U.S rock never recovered from gru
One time in a shop I heard a teenage girl asking the clerk if they had any "Ram Ones" t-shirts.

_________________
Image


Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:41 pm
Profile WWW
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:22 pm
Posts: 17151
Location: Shakespeare Cuntry
Post Re: Rob Zombie claims that U.S rock never recovered from gru
:lol: :lol:

_________________
Image


Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:47 pm
Profile WWW
Online
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:23 pm
Posts: 20757
Post Re: Rob Zombie claims that U.S rock never recovered from gru
^^haha, yeah, you are fucked.

I'm just lucky that i'm too old to be considered a hipster. Most of them are in their 20's and now that my silver hairs are kicking in I no longer can pass for a 20 something, unless it's a 20 something with incredibly bad hair genes ;)

Seriously though, it's all a little silly now isn't it? I remember when the hipster hate was really taking hold in the late 00's or so, but the reality is that most hipsters are just pretentious young kids trying to find their way in a big confusing world. They are harmless and for many i'm sure it's just a phase.

_________________
Image


Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:38 pm
Profile
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:54 pm
Posts: 11256
Post Re: Rob Zombie claims that U.S rock never recovered from gru
CONDOLENC wrote:
Censoring yourself and your behaviour for fear of looking like a hipster isn't any different from wearing a band tshirt, of a band you have no knowledge of, to look like a rock chick, is it? I'm not slagging her down, I just don't get how to, or how not to, be a hipster. I say as soon as you're concerned you're probably fucked.


You totally missed the point in what I was saying.

It's not a case of censoring yourself, it was a case of actually wearing shirts of bands you dig rather than wearing a Motley shirt as it was easily accessible. There was no issues of worrying of being a hipster.

It was more a case of actually being a music fan than anything else.

_________________
http://sabaziusdoom.wordpress.com/

http://seabastard.bandcamp.com/

turdy wrote:
Great tits and slow as fuck doom are Cromwell's Raison d'être.


Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:52 pm
Profile
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:18 pm
Posts: 12848
Location: Leigh
Post Re: Rob Zombie claims that U.S rock never recovered from gru
Stat_Rad wrote:
Most of them are in their 20's and now that my silver hairs are kicking in I no longer can pass for a 20 something, unless it's a 20 something with incredibly bad hair genes ;)


Hi there. :P
I'm 23 and I'm finding more and more grays, I was probably 18 when I found the first one.
On the other hand, I've got very thick dark hair that most female hair dressers are jealous of, and it's unlikely I'll go bald judging of other family members.

_________________
Last.fm


Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:01 pm
Profile WWW
Super Trooper
Super Trooper
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:42 am
Posts: 9886
Post Re: Rob Zombie claims that U.S rock never recovered from gru
The Wretch wrote:
Cuchulainn wrote:
Solaris wrote:
Wretch will have a fit, but there isn't a lot of variation there. Saying that, my Ramones song of choice is Somebody Put Something In My Drink, which isn't typical of their sound.

Ahh, Wretch knows I'm only acting the goat. I was never a Ramones fan so I can only comment on what I've heard. Which all sounds the same. :)


:lol: No, I admit it, there isn't much variation there, especially if you are a more casual listener. It is one really good song though. :D

There's enough variation for me. They're not genre hopping like Mr Bungle but the fact that they have such great vocal melodies over fast downstroked barre chords really impresses me.
Havana Affair and KKK took my baby away would be my favourites at the moment.


Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:42 pm
Profile
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:54 pm
Posts: 11256
Post Re: Rob Zombie claims that U.S rock never recovered from gru
CONDOLENC wrote:
My point was if you were a fan, why not buy it anyway, then?


Her view was that if she wears a band shirt, it's because she digs the band. I was only objecting to the censoring yourself bit, which she never did. I'm just being precious, don't worry. Not even my lady any more and I feel I have to stick up for her!

I get her point though. I think she just felt annoyed at the fact she was actually a Slayer fan, but wearing the Topshop Slayer shirts made her look like she was just going for a 'look', when in fact music was very important to her. I can respect that view.

_________________
http://sabaziusdoom.wordpress.com/

http://seabastard.bandcamp.com/

turdy wrote:
Great tits and slow as fuck doom are Cromwell's Raison d'être.


Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:48 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 7 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware for PTF.