www.Terrorizer.com - View topic - Babymetal: What the fucking fuck?
TERRORIZER FRONT PAGE
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:08 pm

Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Babymetal: What the fucking fuck? 
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Post Re: Babymetal: What the fucking fuck?
I've never really treated them as much more than a novelty act. Still blows my mind that they're considered a legitimate group recording albums and touring overseas. I listened to one song and didn't mind it, but I don't have much interest in them beyond that. I watched that live video posted above and it was a bit shit.

"Grishknackh was a man of contradiction... filled with dishonour. Once he said himself to be an elf, I look upon him as a cowardly squealing orc!"
- Mortiis, 1995
Cosmic Equilibrium wrote:
In all honesty I rate Killers below Virtual XI.

Sun May 15, 2016 2:23 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Myrddin wrote:
I wonder if they are a symptom of where Metal in particular and music in general currently is, atomised and regressive. It's hard to look at them as anything other than a novelty act, certainly that's how they would have perceived in any past era. They aren't terrible or even necessarily bad but they aren't great either, if they get to four or five albums maybe we can talk about them not being a novelty. The tedious anti-backlash backlash is irritating too, with assorted old farts embarrassing us if not themselves defending something pretty disposable and derivative.

I've said it a few times on here that the passionate support them because they are 'different' is a sign that metal is in a complete rut.

The anti-backlash backlash is like the new age metal form of chest beating/virtue signalling. It shows the world that you are 'diverse', 'open, 'with the times' and 'anti elitist'.

The elitism charge is amusing really. It's really making a big deal about nothing harping on about 'metal elitism', as if somehow a small group of self appointed elites play a tremendous role in shaping the direction of a genre/culture that's more fragmented than ever and are actively conspiring to keep Babymetal out. It's like the entire SJW mentality transferred over to metal. Let's shield the innocent little Japanese teenagers girls from criticism while their managers and record labels make out like bandits. It's fucking retarded, and I don't recall nu-metal being defended on those grounds either, at least not as fervently.

What's also bizarre is that I've seen people argue that metal is better when there is no elitism, but history tells a completely different story. There was far more elitism in the 80's and 90's and the scene was far healthier creatively than it is today.

What's interesting about all this is that it really demonstrates how much metal has changed over the last few decades. There is no way that a band like Babymetal would have been tolerated, let alone defended so ardently, 15 years ago.

Sun May 15, 2016 2:27 pm
Infant-ile
Infant-ile

Clint Ruin wrote:
In the future, people'll look back at the last five years or so as being possibly the worst time for metal since the cock rock era, and maybe even worse than that.

J-pop with clumsily bolted-on guitars here, billowy-skirt sub-Kate Bush/Lloyd-Webber stuff there. Not that I'm saying Chicks Can't Rock, of course, but Christ on a crutch, this is a low point.

Worst of all, and noticeably unlike with cock rock groups, you have people such as Rob Zombie (and Shane Embury a while ago as well, I think) defending them with pretty much the exact same routine that people defend Simon Cowell's effusions with: "well, they're successful and people like them so they must be doing something right..." Yeah, well, SO WAS HITLER.

I've missed reading your posts Clint!

Sun May 15, 2016 5:13 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Stat_Rad wrote:
Myrddin wrote:
I wonder if they are a symptom of where Metal in particular and music in general currently is, atomised and regressive. It's hard to look at them as anything other than a novelty act, certainly that's how they would have perceived in any past era. They aren't terrible or even necessarily bad but they aren't great either, if they get to four or five albums maybe we can talk about them not being a novelty. The tedious anti-backlash backlash is irritating too, with assorted old farts embarrassing us if not themselves defending something pretty disposable and derivative.

I've said it a few times on here that the passionate support them because they are 'different' is a sign that metal is in a complete rut.

The anti-backlash backlash is like the new age metal form of chest beating/virtue signalling. It shows the world that you are 'diverse', 'open, 'with the times' and 'anti elitist'.

The elitism charge is amusing really. It's really making a big deal about nothing harping on about 'metal elitism', as if somehow a small group of self appointed elites play a tremendous role in shaping the direction of a genre/culture that's more fragmented than ever and are actively conspiring to keep Babymetal out. It's like the entire SJW mentality transferred over to metal. Let's shield the innocent little Japanese teenagers girls from criticism while their managers and record labels make out like bandits. It's fucking retarded, and I don't recall nu-metal being defended on those grounds either, at least not as fervently.

What's also bizarre is that I've seen people argue that metal is better when there is no elitism, but history tells a completely different story. There was far more elitism in the 80's and 90's and the scene was far healthier creatively than it is today.

Also, if Rob Zombie and Lamb of God are defending you then you are probably doing something wrong. Donald Trump will probably soon come out in favour of them.

What's interesting about all this is that it really demonstrates how much metal has changed over the last few decades. There is no way that a band like Babymetal would have been tolerated, let alone defended so ardently, 15 years ago.

We had Babymetal in the 90s, they were called Green Jelly.

We have seen the anti-backlash backlash, which appears to happen alongside or even prior to the initial backlash, assuming these initial backlashes even occurred in the first place. It's happened with "Hipster BM" and Myrkur. I agree it does share some similarities with the "SJW phenomenon", or at least with some of the nonsense around the new Ghostbusters travesty. Though thats not to say there aren't reactionary arseholes all over the net making misogynist, racist and homophobic comments about anything they dislike or that threatens their inadequate little lives.

I think Babymetal are being defended partially because there's only one of them, so criticisms feel more personal, if they became a genre there would be a lot less sympathy and patience. I dare there are A&R cunts creating their own imitation acts as we speak.

We've all taken the piss out of BM elitists on here but do they really exist, in any significant number? We've had a few ANUS.com type twats on here but they've seldom lasted. There's always a perception that there are X amount of eltists in every scene or even area of fandom (iahte that term) who at least attempt to act as gatekeepers but is that really the case?

Sun May 15, 2016 7:06 pm
Climate Control
Climate Control

JS Bach > Slayer > Less Humans > Babymetal

Sun May 15, 2016 10:58 pm
Lifer, Deather, Hesher, Whatever.
Lifer, Deather, Hesher, Whatever.

Green Jelly were seemingly self aware, Babymetal do not appear to be so. Thus any comparison is moot.

Sun May 15, 2016 11:45 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

l-c wrote:
Clint Ruin wrote:
In the future, people'll look back at the last five years or so as being possibly the worst time for metal since the cock rock era, and maybe even worse than that.

J-pop with clumsily bolted-on guitars here, billowy-skirt sub-Kate Bush/Lloyd-Webber stuff there. Not that I'm saying Chicks Can't Rock, of course, but Christ on a crutch, this is a low point.

Worst of all, and noticeably unlike with cock rock groups, you have people such as Rob Zombie (and Shane Embury a while ago as well, I think) defending them with pretty much the exact same routine that people defend Simon Cowell's effusions with: "well, they're successful and people like them so they must be doing something right..." Yeah, well, SO WAS HITLER.

I've missed reading your posts Clint!

HEY LAWN,

Wasn't sure it was you for a while, but yr avatar reminded me (although I always get confused between Cavity and Cable)

Mon May 16, 2016 12:04 am
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Myrddin wrote:
We've all taken the piss out of BM elitists on here but do they really exist, in any significant number? We've had a few ANUS.com type twats on here but they've seldom lasted. There's always a perception that there are X amount of eltists in every scene or even area of fandom (iahte that term) who at least attempt to act as gatekeepers but is that really the case?

Yes, they used to. When I first posted on the Terrorizer forum back in the 90s there was a definite BM elitist clique. There was also a deluded sXe fan who used to post pretentious poetry and tedious self-absorbed rants too. :lol:

I used to get called elitist on the K! board for running down nu-metal all the time. I was quite proud of that. 8-)

I am Deth!!! Fukk You!!! 我死了!你他媽的!나는 죽음 이다! 엿 먹어 !私は死です!あなたをファック!أنا الموت! اللعنة عليك !Я - смерть! Пошел на хуй !איך בין טויט! באַרען איר!میں موت ہوں! تم بھاڑ میں جاؤ !Olen kuolema ! Haista vittu !Είμαι ο θάνατος ! Γαμήσου !Yr wyf marwolaeth ! Ffyc chi!Ek is die dood! Fok jou !मैं मृत्यु हूं! फक यू!

"Anyone who says a bad fuck is better than a good wank has obviously never had either." - my mate Anthony

Metalcore- parting morons from their money since ages ago.

Mon May 16, 2016 4:05 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Myrddin wrote:

They are very small in number and have bugger all influence. I'd say they had more influence back in the 'old days' of zines etc, but not now.

Mon May 16, 2016 6:18 am
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

You see the BM elitists skulking around the youtube comments. Not sure where else you would find one these days, but they sadly do exist, and some of the things they say are worse than the piss takes.

"Grishknackh was a man of contradiction... filled with dishonour. Once he said himself to be an elf, I look upon him as a cowardly squealing orc!"
- Mortiis, 1995
Cosmic Equilibrium wrote:
In all honesty I rate Killers below Virtual XI.

Mon May 16, 2016 1:55 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Ever wanted to see Babymetal teach Nick from Witchsorrow (in his day job writing for Kerrang!) how to dance, no?
FUCK YOU, IT HAPPENED ANYWAY!

WHERE IS YOUR GOD NOW?!

Mon May 16, 2016 3:21 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Paedo metal. pure and simple.

Mon May 16, 2016 3:29 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Not metal. Pure and simple.

Wed May 18, 2016 10:35 am
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Cuchulainn wrote:
Pure and simple.

Wed May 18, 2016 1:00 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Haha hard to say what's worst.

Wed May 18, 2016 1:33 pm
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

WATP wrote:

Why? Do they take their clothes off?

Thu May 19, 2016 1:23 am
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

WATP wrote:

Maybe they can do a Gary Glitter cover!

Mon May 23, 2016 11:21 am
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

If the first thing you think of is paedophilia when you watch three Japanese girls singing on a stage, then......

:?:

Mon May 23, 2016 11:30 am
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Babymetal > PDFs

(They ages are 18, 16 & 16 so they are all of legal age in most countries)

It must be frustrating to be security at a Babymetal concert, they try hard not to watch for whatever reason.

Mon May 23, 2016 11:36 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Baphomet wrote:
You see the BM elitists skulking around the youtube comments. Not sure where else you would find one these days, but they sadly do exist, and some of the things they say are worse than the piss takes.

As I've said before, I believe a certain amount of elitism is very useful in the creative arts to keep standards high. The problem with metal elitists in particular is that they inevitably retreat to their foxholes and become ultra conservative, which actually stifles innovation in the long run, so you need to maintain a sense of balance. But the elitism that we had in the BM scene in the 90's in regards to the more progressive acts of the time like Arcturus, In The Woods etc, was definitely a positive thing in my view. The 'necro' sound fetish style elitism was nonsense though, and it was more cultish in nature, which is precisely why it didn't serve the underground on the whole.

Mon May 23, 2016 2:52 pm
Reply to topic   [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next