www.Terrorizer.com - View topic - Worst touring packages
TERRORIZER FRONT PAGE
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:50 pm

Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Worst touring packages 
Climate Control
Climate Control

Post Re: Worst touring packages
I can't think of any but I'm sure there are plenty of examples I can add here.

Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:57 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Stuffstuff wrote:
I love them on record but they do suffer from clicky-drum syndrome that took off in 2000. Ho hum.

To me Benton just looked bored. All the bands were tight as fuck but Benton was just clocking in his ounchcard that night and no mistake. No passion whatsoever.

It was probably because it was a smaller venue. Didn't feel the need to put in the effort. Ho hum.

I agree that The Amenta's drum sounds are clicky but they're intentionally done that way to emphasize the mechanical sound of their industrial take on death metal. I think it enhances the atmosphere personally. I've seen them support a number of big name international acts over the years & Rotting Christ are the only one that's been able to top them. It's a real shame that they've retired from live performance as they were one of the few world class live acts in the Aussie metal scene.

Deicide are one of the worst live bands I've ever witnessed. I saw them back in 1995 on the "Once Upon The Cross" tour & I've never seen a more bored looking bunch of individuals. Their attitude towards their fans was disgraceful too. They continually threatened & abused members of the crowd. I've intentionally missed them whenever they've visited our shores since.

Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:58 pm
Climate Control
Climate Control

I'm amazed that nobody has raised the whole Napalm Death & Defenestration fiasco.

Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:59 pm
Climate Control
Climate Control

I saw Deicide on their first tour and they were a holocaust. That said, I saw footage from a Nottingham gig ( the one they put out on DVD, can't remember the year ) and they were as dull as dishwater. Taking ridiculously long breaks in between the songs to get their breath back, etc. When I saw them they played the first album back to front at breakneck speed and fucked off. No fucking about.

Sol - Napalm played with The Cardiacs and The Cocteau Twins on separate occasions. Imagine the Napalm fans reactions to THEM!

Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:01 pm
Climate Control
Climate Control

I can see Cardiacs getting a bemused reaction at best, but I can't see Cocteau Twins not running and hiding after ten minutes of abuse.

Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:04 pm
Climate Control
Climate Control

I'm sure I remember reading about it somewhere. I could be wrong, of course. It does sound like it would be a shitstorm of all sorts of shit.

Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:06 pm
Super Trooper
Super Trooper

Astro Black wrote:
I saw Deicide on their first tour and they were a holocaust. That said, I saw footage from a Nottingham gig ( the one they put out on DVD, can't remember the year ) and they were as dull as dishwater. Taking ridiculously long breaks in between the songs to get their breath back, etc. When I saw them they played the first album back to front at breakneck speed and fucked off. No fucking about.

Yeah Deicide took ridiculously long breaks between songs when I saw them too. Didn't say a word to the crowd except to abuse them. Played pretty much "Once Upon The Cross" material & ignored the crowds chants for some older stuff. They started playing their first track before the vocal microphones were even turned on or Nirvana's "Smell Like Teen Spirit" was even turned off from the PA so Nirvana was playing louder than they were & you could see Glen screaming into a dead mike. Bloody funny though. They played for about 35 minutes & then ran from the stage & jumped into a van out back. The crowd chased them up the street & tried to tip the van. The driver floored it & nearly ran down several people. An eventful evening!

Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:07 pm
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

Which begs the question; if Glenn Benton & Friends can't be bothered to do their jobs properly and don't even enjoy it anymore, why continue? Is the money even good enough to justify it? Surely there's other careers the crucifixed branded one could pursue.

Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:16 pm
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

Napalm Death seem to make a habit of having odd touring/gig partners: I saw them supported by Snuff. It was fantastic.

An ill-matched one I went to was Obituary supported by Pitchshifter and Eyehategod. If I remember correctly, the EHG drummer went AWOL and Jimmy Bower had to take over.

I had to leave halfway through Obituary as a stagediver caught me in the face with his DM (just above the eye) and I had to go and get it stitched up.

As far as headliners regretting their choice of support goes, I think that award has to go to Entombed who decided to take Neurosis, who had just released Through Silver in Blood, out with them.

Neurosis were the most mesmerising band I had ever seen and anything after that was just a complete comedown.

Last edited by doomrider on Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:18 pm
Climate Control
Climate Control

That was an odd mixture alright, I assume it was a MFN thing as they were distributing both bands' material at the time. I enjoyed Entombed that night but Neurosis were a fucking force of nature, even for only 40 mins.

Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:38 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

opaline wrote:
I agree that The Amenta's drum sounds are clicky but they're intentionally done that way to emphasize the mechanical sound of their industrial take on death metal. I think it enhances the atmosphere personally... It's a real shame that they've retired from live performance as they were one of the few world class live acts in the Aussie metal scene.

Its all so fucking boring though. They wouldn't know atmosphere if it enveloped them like a cloak and carried them to an infernal pit of despair and anguish, they deal in one dimensional rubbish. Ten pence girl guide fisher price metal or whatever Was would say. If that is the closest Aussies can get to "world class", you are in as bad as position as we are.

I'd honestly say they are everything I absolutely despise in modern metal. Sterile, stupefyingly dull, unimaginative in the extreme, with all the emphasis on anal (hurrr...) repetition and br00tality without an ounce of real heaviness or atmosphere, not to mention they clearly imagine themselves to be the business, high on posturing, and low on delivering anything of real merit. They are neither convincingly extreme, or progressive, and fail on every level.

I've seen Deicide a few times and more often than not, they were really entertaining. Not quite how I imagined them to be, but certainly not bored or shoddy.

Solaris wrote:
I'm amazed that nobody has raised the whole Napalm Death & Defenestration fiasco.

Jesus. Who else did they support, Fear Factory? They were all really nice people actually, but musically, they were terrible in their own right, as well as being a poor choice of support for bands like Napalm and FF.

Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:09 pm
Climate Control
Climate Control

The Wretch wrote:
Solaris wrote:

Jesus. Who else did they support, Fear Factory? They were all really nice people actually, but musically, they were terrible in their own right, as well as being a poor choice of support for bands like Napalm and FF.

Megadeth, I think.

Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:30 pm
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

opaline wrote:

I agree that The Amenta's drum sounds are clicky but they're intentionally done that way to emphasize the mechanical sound of their industrial take on death metal. I think it enhances the atmosphere personally.

I'm old school in that sense. Bass drums in extreme metal need to have punch.
Ideally you should be able to hear every beat with every doublebass part sounding like a WW2 artillery barrage.

Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:33 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Solaris wrote:
The Wretch wrote:
Solaris wrote:

Megadeth, I think.

Ah yeah, now I remember. Another SFX gig. Megadeth were pretty good that night actually.

Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:41 pm
Climate Control
Climate Control

I saw Fear Factory twice at the SFX, Demanufacture and Obsolete tours. I can't remember who played at what gig, but they were supported by Cubanate (with out own Steev on guitar), Will Haven (one of, if not [i]the[/i,] most boring bands I've seen live) and some other band who I thought didn't fit the bill.

Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:47 pm
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

Cubanate and Will Haven were both on the Obsolete tour.

I was at that gig actually, some lanky fucker who was crowdsurfing landed his full weight on the back of my neck while refusing to let the security guys lift him out, and I smacked my face off the barrier, it was sore as fuck. I punched the stupid bastard full force right in the knackers just as they managed to get him over the barrier, which I normally wouldn't do to another bloke, but he was a thoughtless, disrespectful, smelly fucking hippie.

Still, decent gig. I thought Will Haven were ok, drummer was impressive.

Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:12 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Careless crowd-surfers/stage divers piss me off. Both of the activities are fine, but you always get a few idiots who don't know what they're doing (for instance the fuckers who stage dive feet-first) and just end up injuring everyone. Not much to enjoy after some idiot's just kicked you in the head.

"Grishknackh was a man of contradiction... filled with dishonour. Once he said himself to be an elf, I look upon him as a cowardly squealing orc!"
- Mortiis, 1995
Cosmic Equilibrium wrote:
In all honesty I rate Killers below Virtual XI.

Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:18 pm
Climate Control
Climate Control

The Wretch wrote:
Cubanate and Will Haven were both on the Obsolete tour.

I was at that gig actually, some lanky fucker who was crowdsurfing landed his full weight on the back of my neck while refusing to let the security guys lift him out, and I smacked my face off the barrier, it was sore as fuck. I punched the stupid bastard full force right in the knackers just as they managed to get him over the barrier, which I normally wouldn't do to another bloke, but he was a thoughtless, disrespectful, smelly fucking hippie.

Still, decent gig. I thought Will Haven were ok, drummer was impressive.

I was just bored after a couple of songs, much preferred Cubanate (though 3 or 4 songs were enough too). I believe that was the first (though not the last) time I saw a dustbin played live.

Any other Irlanders at the Demanufacture gig? I'm just wondering who supported them, I can't for the life of me remember.

Edit: I know I saw a god-awful support slot there by a band called Paranoia (bald singer in a leather waistcoat), it was either at that gig or supporting Paradise Lost (Draconian Times tour). I saw Korn there on their first tour but I don't think it was that one.

Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:36 pm
Star Trooper
Star Trooper

Benton and Co. are hitting here this Sunday with SEPTICFLESH, INQUISITION, ABYSMAL DAWN and CARACH ANGREN in tow. They're going to get blown away, though the newer line up still has some fire.

I don't really like DEICIDE, but they are bringing quality with them, so I'm going.

Technique only exists to do justice to your potential

Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:37 am
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper

The Wretch wrote:
Stat_Rad wrote:
King Of The Road came out in 1999 mate, at least in Europe and Australia. I got it for Christmas in 1999.

I always thought it was early 2000 myself actually, maybe it just came out a bit later here.

Maybe, but it was no.36 in the writer's poll for 99.

Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:55 am
Reply to topic   [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next