www.Terrorizer.com - View topic - Favorite Iron Maiden song from each album?
TERRORIZER FRONT PAGE
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:04 am



Reply to topic  [ 166 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Favorite Iron Maiden song from each album? 
Author Message
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

Joined: Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:50 am
Posts: 1097
Post Re: Favorite Iron Maiden song from each album?
Stat_Rad wrote:
Yeah, i was going to mention that earlier but didn't because my fucking connection went down! Grounding that 'dourness' in a universal war theme was far more palatable than inward looking ruminations on the meaning of existence.

Part of the reason AMOLAD doesn't hit me though is because Bruce's voice doesn't work for me when it comes to subject matter. He is too much of an epic singer. Everything with Bruce has to be 'big', which renders his style completely impersonal. He is not particularly adept at conveying a mood through his vocals.

This is a criticism of most of the traditional metal vocalists btw. Dio is quite possibly the worst offender. All that over-emoting is great when you are singing about dragons I suppose, but it sounds ridiculous when dealing with social issues. Dickinson is far more convincing than Dio, but Halford is the only one that can truly pull that kind of thing off.


Interesting point, though I disagree to an extent - Dickinson's performance on AMOLAD is fantastic, and I think he does manage to convey the mood of the album. However this is because AMOLAD deals with collective darkness, so it's a wider set of issues and themes, not overly specific ones [even when about one subject it's about the thing as a whole], and Dickinson's voice is more suited to that kind of widescreen take on things.

For that reason I think only Blaze could have sung the X Factor and made it work in the way that it did - his voice is good for introspective, confessional material.


Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:08 pm
Profile
Super Trooper
Super Trooper
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:58 am
Posts: 5562
Post Re: Favorite Iron Maiden song from each album?
Like 2 AM? It's fucking terrible, man.
The fucker can hardly hold tune for a line of the lyrics.

_________________
Image


Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:15 pm
Profile
Space Ranger
Space Ranger

Joined: Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:50 am
Posts: 1097
Post Re: Favorite Iron Maiden song from each album?
Some of the songs on the album are brilliantly sung - Edge Of Darkness, Look For The Truth etc.

Now that I think about it, Dickinson can do more personal stuff if he tries, doesn't FOTD have some pretty introspective songs on it like Childhood's End? Although those are sung more as an observance than from a first person perspective like The X Factor is.


Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:18 pm
Profile
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:23 pm
Posts: 21945
Post Re: Favorite Iron Maiden song from each album?
Cosmic Equilibrium wrote:
However this is because AMOLAD deals with collective darkness, so it's a wider set of issues and themes, not overly specific ones [even when about one subject it's about the thing as a whole], and Dickinson's voice is more suited to that kind of widescreen take on things.


Fair point.

As for 2AM, he covered similar thematic ground later in his career to better effect:


_________________
Image


Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:23 pm
Profile
Star Trooper
Star Trooper
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:21 am
Posts: 4643
Location: New Forest
Post Re: Favorite Iron Maiden song from each album?
Cosmic Equilibrium wrote:
his voice is good for introspective, confessional material.


It's far better at Wolfsbane, who were as introspective as a punch in the gob!

_________________
Image


Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:41 pm
Profile
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:28 am
Posts: 20765
Location: Éire
Post Re: Favorite Iron Maiden song from each album?
Chantler wrote:
Cosmic Equilibrium wrote:
his voice is good for introspective, confessional material.


It's far better at Wolfsbane, who were as introspective as a punch in the gob!


Exactly. He is a blokey hard rock singer/frontman, which is what he should have been at all along really. Give me the likes of Money To Burn, Loco, End Of The Century or Protect And Survive any day.


Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:59 pm
Profile
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:54 pm
Posts: 11256
Post Re: Favorite Iron Maiden song from each album?
The live album is fucking brilliant.

"If you're not putting your fist in the air by the end of this song I'm coming out there and I'm going to fucking kill you fuckers!"

It's like Oscar Wilde fronting a band.

I was massively into Wolfsbane in '94, I bought all their records in a couple of weeks to see what the new guy would sound like and I really dug what they did. I met Jeff when I was about 17 and was totally star struck, even though he was playing a half empty room with The Jellies.

I still really enjoy Wolfsbane now, and their records are probably better than X Factor, and certainly better than VXI. The eponymous record was great.

_________________
http://sabaziusdoom.wordpress.com/

http://seabastard.bandcamp.com/

turdy wrote:
Great tits and slow as fuck doom are Cromwell's Raison d'être.


Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:49 pm
Profile
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:28 am
Posts: 20765
Location: Éire
Post Re: Favorite Iron Maiden song from each album?
Especially the one with the bonus ep.

I thought there were better individual songs on the first few, like Manhunt, Steel and Loco, but they were a bit soft sounding for the style of stuff they were doing compared to the live versions. I love the sound on the s/t though, raw as fook.


Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:04 am
Profile
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:54 pm
Posts: 11256
Post Re: Favorite Iron Maiden song from each album?
My copy of the bonus EP went missing, but yeah it had some good tracks on it. The Springsteen cover was ace. I thought it was their best produced record annd had the most consistent songs on it. Stuff like Wings had a nice grit to them. Not heard the reunion stuff yet but I'll get it eventually.

_________________
http://sabaziusdoom.wordpress.com/

http://seabastard.bandcamp.com/

turdy wrote:
Great tits and slow as fuck doom are Cromwell's Raison d'être.


Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:27 am
Profile
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:28 am
Posts: 20765
Location: Éire
Post Re: Favorite Iron Maiden song from each album?
I rather like it. Some good gritty tunes, some poppier moments. Decent comeback though, I hope they do more albums. I'd rather they made it their main concern, and had his solo stuff as the side project, but I suppose with the others producing or having day jobs, families etc that's not possible.


Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:44 am
Profile
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:23 pm
Posts: 21945
Post Re: Favorite Iron Maiden song from each album?
What was the last Wolfsbane like?

Their debut is easily the best thing they have done. Shame about the drum sound though.

_________________
Image


Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:52 am
Profile
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:28 am
Posts: 20765
Location: Éire
Post Re: Favorite Iron Maiden song from each album?
Stat_Rad wrote:
What was the last Wolfsbane like?


See my previous post. ;)

Stat_Rad wrote:
Their debut is easily the best thing they have done. Shame about the drum sound though.


I wonder if it is a mix of live and electronic/programmed drums, and there are moments in certain songs that sound like they belong to a different album, like in Killing Machine, which sounds like they stuck a snare sample from a Stock Aitken & Waterman song in there, and it is so out of place, overly loud and drenched in gated reverb, it is painful to listen to. They are definitely a distraction from otherwise enjoyable songs.


Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:40 am
Profile
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:23 pm
Posts: 21945
Post Re: Favorite Iron Maiden song from each album?
you changed your response mate! I was getting ready to respond to your comment about the drugs being programmed and type that it sounds like a mix of live and programmed ;)

'Killing Machine' is definitely an example of how distracting they can be. Great song, but those drums really bring it down a notch or so.

_________________
Image


Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:31 am
Profile
Super Trooper
Super Trooper
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:58 am
Posts: 5562
Post Re: Favorite Iron Maiden song from each album?
I saw Wolfsbane support Maiden in Dublin in 91 (I think) and thoroughly enjoyed them. I remember thinking Blaze was particularly ace on the night (I'd never heard Wolfsbane before), so, once the news was out that Blaze was replacing Bruce I thought 'Yeah, I can see that'. Didn't really work out so well, as it turned out.

_________________
Image


Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:23 pm
Profile
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:58 pm
Posts: 15202
Location: The wrong side of 50....... just
Post Re: Favorite Iron Maiden song from each album?
I saw Wolfsbane support The Wildhearts 5 odd years ago and i quite enjoyed 'em, nothing fancy but were a good fun party kind of band.

_________________
Image


Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:29 pm
Profile
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:23 pm
Posts: 21945
Post Re: Favorite Iron Maiden song from each album?
The problem with Blaze is that even if he was singing as well on the Maiden records as he did on his solo ones, and the band made all the necessary adjustments to properly accommodate for his vocals, it still wouldn't have worked out because he could not sing most of the old songs in a way that would have been satisfactory to their fans.

The simple fact is that he was the wrong man for the job. Having said that, I admire Maiden for at least taking a risk rather than playing it safe ala Priest and hiring a clone singer.

Even if Bruce remained in Maiden their popularity would have gone down anyway because the mid 90's wasn't a great time for traditional metal, especially in the Anglosphere, and they were already on the downward slide with No Prayer and Fear... anyway. Dickinson's exited the band at just the right time, and he returned at just the right time too. It seemed almost by design really.

Halford's return to Priest wasn't quite as successful for a number of reasons I believe: 1)Angel Of Vengeance, while respectable, wasn't as good as Brave New World. I'm not suggesting that B.N.W was stellar--it wasn't, at least not in my view anyway--but it was a better album. 2)Halford probably lost a lot of good will by moving away from metal in the mid to late 90's, especially in the U.S, which was always Priest's biggest market. 3)Priest were not as popular as Maiden on a worldwide scale. 4)Nostradamus

_________________
Image


Last edited by Stat_Rad on Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.



Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:51 pm
Profile
Super Trooper
Super Trooper
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:58 am
Posts: 5562
Post Re: Favorite Iron Maiden song from each album?
I also saw Priest in the Astoria in 98 and regardless of whether Owens was a 'clone' or not, he was fucking brilliant.
His Priest studio records were shite, though.

_________________
Image


Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:56 pm
Profile
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:23 pm
Posts: 21945
Post Re: Favorite Iron Maiden song from each album?
I saw Ripper with Priest when they were touring in support of Demolition, and yes, he was great live, but he was a clone that was unable to really do much outside of the live environment.

_________________
Image


Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:00 pm
Profile
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:58 pm
Posts: 15202
Location: The wrong side of 50....... just
Post Re: Favorite Iron Maiden song from each album?
Stat_Rad wrote:
The problem with Blaze is that even if he was singing as well on the Maiden records as he did on his solo ones, and the band made all the necessary adjustments to properly accommodate for his vocals, it still wouldn't have worked out because he could not sing most of the old songs in a way that would have been satisfactory to their fans.


So basically it comes down to Blaze wasn't Bruce, Blaze could have been note perfect and it wouldn't have mattered he wasn't Bruce.

_________________
Image


Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:03 pm
Profile
Storm Trooper
Storm Trooper
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:23 pm
Posts: 21945
Post Re: Favorite Iron Maiden song from each album?
If he could sing as well as Bruce, or at least had been capable of executing material in both the high and low registers, fans would have accepted him even if he wasn't quite as good. But the reality is that he could barely sing most of the old songs, even on a good day, and that was ultimately the issue.

_________________
Image


Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:06 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 166 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: MSN [Bot] and 8 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware for PTF.